Photothread 📸 Santa Fe, New Mexico

KILZ FILLZ

I wanted to do this photothread a bit differently.

Instead of a reactionary photothread; where you only see what I ended up doing and found interesting while stumbling around ...

I wanted to start the thread first and open up a dialogue with you. 

what did you did when you were here?

what took you there? When?

What do you suggest as a must see?

what do you want me to flick while I am there? 

• Like 2

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Last time I was in Santa Fe I was sixteen years old, I bought some brick weed from a guy I knew from back home. Rolled some bit joints and went to see Ziggy Marley at an outdoor arena type venue. 

Have a Navaho Taco for the street level eatings but also go someplace fancy for New Mexico Cuisine, maybe out of town a little or on the square. 

I thought this place was pretty neat https://tenthousandwaves.com/

Did this also but not your schedule I think  https://burnzozobra.com/all-about-zozobra/

I was there to visit a family friend, who is still there and active in some activist communities. 

My Photohunt challenges:

Fireworks, Native Americans, Brick Weed, Live Reggae, Naked People, Fancy Food, Georgia O'Keeffe, Adobe Fast Food Building, Tie Dye

Have a good trip

• Like 3
  • Props 2
  • LOL! 1

^That’s interesting.

I have only been to Albuquerque twice and drove down to Juarez on 25 passing through some interesting places and seeing some great sights on the way. The people I met in New Mexico are awesome. Have fun!

Show us some hot springs.

Are you there just for a vacation? Do you know people there?

Edited by LUGR
  • Props 1

18 hours ago, morton said:

Last time I was in Santa Fe I was sixteen years old, I bought some brick weed from a guy I knew from back home. Rolled some bit joints and went to see Ziggy Marley at an outdoor arena type venue. 

Have a Navaho Taco for the street level eatings but also go someplace fancy for New Mexico Cuisine, maybe out of town a little or on the square. 

I thought this place was pretty neat https://tenthousandwaves.com/

Did this also but not your schedule I think  https://burnzozobra.com/all-about-zozobra/

I was there to visit a family friend, who is still there and active in some activist communities. 

My Photohunt challenges:

Fireworks, Native Americans, Brick Weed, Live Reggae, Naked People, Fancy Food, Georgia O'Keeffe, Adobe Fast Food Building, Tie Dye

Have a good trip

Our Lyft driver also suggested ten thousand waves. We are without a car but maybe we can make it happen. 

On 3/29/2021 at 8:25 PM, mr.yuck said:

I dont know jack about new mexico. Im interested to see how this turns out.

See if you can find some one wearing a sombrerro unironically.

Best I can do is a guy wearing a hat with a huge ass hawk feather that I think you could reasonably justify as a sombrero?

4B17EC9C-E0C5-4DCA-A265-3688E3B0D104.jpeg

• Props 3

On 3/29/2021 at 6:32 AM, Schnitzel said:

Native american stuff - Hopi Kachinas but I'm not sure if they are a New mexico thing.

Wide open skies and exhilarating expanses of emptiness.

Cactus?

Mariachi Band

working on the wide open skies. We are in the city center.  From what I’ve seen not much cacti, a lot of low shrubbery, chaparral. Haven’t seen a single mariachi 

5CD2DB7D-85E4-44D4-B35E-C3AAFF2EE68F.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Props 1

Went to a couple cathedrals today

Cathedral Basilica of Saint Francis of Assisi was built by a French priest who shipped in Italian masons to quarry and build. Everything before this was Adobe. The stained glass windows were shipped here from France and are beautiful but don’t photograph well at all. The interior was white washed at some point as part of the Vatican’s move to simplify things. Then was redone by local artists to be what you see now. The exterior doors show milestones in the city of Santa Fe. The one I took a photo of shows the Pueblo revolt of 1680 which is the only successful Native American revolt; they completely expelled the Spanish from the area for twelve years. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathedral_Basilica_of_St._Francis_of_Assisi_(Santa_Fe)

D6576C49-EFF5-4335-A90D-08553AC81CC2.jpeg

DEFD2675-78AC-4F01-975D-DFF51D812A8C.jpeg

EFC9D7AC-F7E0-4E04-887F-410FF5C7F8EF.jpeg

5A02C5B0-3EBE-4A55-BDCD-C42217E48396.jpeg

93307A2D-702F-43A7-AE05-7B10595EE620.jpeg

• Props 3

Second is the Loretto Chapel

this chapel was built in 1878 and was the victim of poor planning. On the front face of the Bldg you can see where the first story ends and the second story begins. The second story is where the choir was supposed to sit and sing, the architect dropped the ball with figuring out how to get the choir up there. A standard staircase would take up most of the chapel interior, wasting precious space. The nuns prayed to Yahweh and a mysterious carpenter appeared. He constructed a helix staircase, with 33 steps (the number of years Jesus was alive) and their problem was solved. The nuns were so grateful they wanted to pay the mysterious carpenter but they couldn’t locate him. Legend is the carpenter built the staircase without any pay for material or services and the staircase was built with no nails or adhesives. He then disappeared. Legend says this mysterious character was saint Joseph, the patron saint for carpenters. It’s now a museum not a church. 

the handrail was added years later as a safety precaution and the wrought iron support attached to the column was added in the 1930s when cars began causing vibrations on the street outside. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loretto_Chapel

C29CE316-86D7-4E61-8B28-918037D22276.jpeg

7FB8BDE8-3DDA-4BDE-B050-337CA196C51D.jpeg

21C23282-B22F-4097-9C2F-9AFB0A2EA948.jpeg

BFB2A25A-07DF-4E5F-910D-E6B157E22FF4.jpeg

52AE8582-4791-4F50-B404-05520903169C.jpeg

237734C9-5FFA-4187-9485-9DF9DD6EA02B.jpeg

B93D4B5B-7E19-4E06-8DA6-EADA40024C7B.jpeg

535CA777-B315-4E68-82FF-C413EC40488E.jpeg

76F8B3BA-4AE9-422C-82E0-801653B80077.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Props 1

7 minutes ago, LUGR said:

Any plans for hot springs or donkeys?

we are here without a car. So sorry, not likely 😞

we wanted to get in a hike or two but there are only like 4 Lyft drivers in this town and cell service is spotty. Worried about catching a Lyft to a trailhead outside of town and then not having enough cell service to request the ride back. 

all the Pueblo’s are on lockdown too.  No visitors. 

edit:

actually, I might have an idea @LUGR 😎 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KILZ FILLZ said:

we are here without a car. So sorry, not likely 😞

we wanted to get in a hike or two but there are only like 4 Lyft drivers in this town and cell service is spotty. Worried about catching a Lyft to a trailhead outside of town and then not having enough cell service to request the ride back.

That’s the hike that keeps on giving.

That lodge current view looks so awesome.

• Like 1
  • Truth 1