Stonks aka Stock Market or Investments

fat ralphy

Ok guize here goes....I ran a search and only came up with the crypto thread. 

Some of the guys I work with are into the stock market and some of them are capitalizing pretty well......

I have had a surplus of cash just sitting in a bank account without any real great interest etc. I figured I could get into some stocks and hopefully profit majorly stack paper and get that cheesy guacamole ya smell me.

Perfect example - I was told in April 2020 to buy some NIO stock which was at apprx.  $2.10 and sits today at $57+. Obviously I regret sleeping on that and hope to find a similar investment. 

Starting off small with $2500 in a TD Ameritrade account. Discuss guize - any of you getting into stocks? What’s the next NIO?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • 2 weeks later...

probably. i bought shopify at like $1300 and arkk at $150, i'm feeling dumb but also feel like this is a correction and it'll go back up. gonna hold both—arkk is all big name volatile trendy stuff (tesla, roku, bitcoin, at least one of the teledoc services) and i genuinely believe in shopify's fundamentals but missed last year's explosive run 

Edited by Elena Delle Donne

• 3 weeks later...

@Elena Delle Donne those will for sure rise, just gotta hold.

I have been reading up more and plan on trying to make some better moves in the coming weeks.

Planning to take $100 from each of my paychecks and invest directly in stocks.

Thus far I own stock in NIO, AAPL, HUGE and GME (2 at $117) 

Need to research the best methods for avoiding tax which I think means I will

need to withdraw and put directly into Roth IRA.

On 2/25/2021 at 7:27 PM, Elena Delle Donne said:

i am a casual investor at best, playing with retirement money here 

This fits me as well.  I have no delusions about my ability to day trade.

Holding mostly Canadian ETFs right now and a few energy stocks because I think they're under valued (inter pipeline, cenovus).

I also bought a Canadian sports book that just expanded into India to get cricket action, see if that goes anywhere.

^^^^ I bought two shares of GME last month just to fuck around - who knows.

Hoping premarket stays green for me today....

Obviously my money is on NIO long, still investing at peasant levels.

Crazy to think that one days gain in stock prices generates what I would make in a week working as a teenager.

FFBF9CBB-8CBE-4C85-8F09-7457F268210C.jpeg

Edited by fat ralphy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, fat ralphy said:

Decent showing today - my portfolio saw a 5% gain and it looks like NIO headed back in the right direction.

we just went through a correction, it always happens. things may be on their way back up depending on how inflation goes this week— i was too psyched by how well 2020 went and had my blinders on buying when i did. 

Apple and the Rest of Big Tech Might Be Ready to Rally. Here's Why. -- Barrons.com

Mentioned:AAPL AMZN FB MSFT

Jacob Sonenshine

Big tech has been downright disappointing this year for investors used to big gains from their stocks. They might also be worth buying right now. The reason: They offer strong growth prospects at reasonable prices. 

The FAANGM group -- Facebook (FB), Apple (AAPL), Amazon.com (AMZN), Netflix (NFLX), Alphabet (GOOGL), and Microsoft (MSFT) -- isn't very expensive right now. The median forward earnings multiple is just under 30 times, according to FactSet data, above the S&P 500's average multiple of 21.5, but the group has traded at a far higher premium to the S&P 500 in the past. "Considering the pace at which AAPL/AMZN/NFLX/GOOGL and MSFTare growing earnings and the long-term prospects for these companies," valuations are reasonable, writes Tom Essaye, founder of Sevens Report Research. These names "could be considered "GARP," which stands for "Growth At Reasonable Price," says Essaye, who favors these stocks over the less profitable, smaller capitalization names. 

Reasonable valuations mean earnings growth can take the older tech names higher. Expected earnings growth for 2022 in the FAANGM group, which the market will be pricing in by the end of the year, can provide at least acceptable returns. Facebook's earnings, for example, are expected to grow 17%, while Amazon's are expected at 30%. That compares to just 12% for the S&P 500. 

Does that mean the value rally will fizzle out? No, just that investors who don't want to put all their eggs in one basket can find opportunity in big tech. Value stocks, which don't have the same secular growth prospects but are sensitive to changes in the economy, have had a strong run. The Vanguard S&P 500 Value Index Fund ETF (VOOV) has outpaced the broader index by about 8 percentage points since the end of September, the start of a larger rally in economically-sensitive assets. As the economy keeps rebounding, value stocks could continue their run, but FAANGM stocks could act as protection against that outcome. And even if value keeps outperforming, FAANGM could still keep pace, Essaye notes. 

And that should be good enough. 

Own some AAPL - hasnt done much recently and I know it is a long term buy. Hopefully tides start to change for Tech stocks.....

Probably swoop up some more AAPL in coming week. 

Meanwhile my meme stock is on the rise. AMC and GME both making money - 

Thoughts on MOASS? Will the floor really be astronomical?