🤔Trust fall.🤔

Dirty_habiT

Trust fall.  

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Later I will provide steps here to easily download and delete your accounts if you'd like to.

Facebook:

• FUZZING: Do not simply "delete" your account.  Before you do so, delete the comments manually, or have them overwritten w/ nonsense.  The reason to do this is that it stores this data in their servers rather than your actual data.  Use this Google Chrome extension to remove your content. (WARNING: do not do this if you have not first _backed up_ anything you wish to save forever).  If you don't use google chrome, and don't want to use google chrome (like me), just download it on a VM (DM me if you need help w/ this) and use it to install the plugin.
  • BACKUP: Settings -> Your FaceBook Information -> Download Your Information -> Click "View" -> Select "All of my data" -> select HTML (unless you want JSON) -> Select the quality level -> Select the data you want to keep -> Click "Create File".
  • DISCONNECTING OAUTH LOGINS:
  • DELETION:

Instagram:

• FUZZING:
  • BACKUP:
  • DELETION:

Twitter:

• FUZZING:
  • BACKUP:
  • DELETION:

GMail:

• FUZZING:
  • BACKUP:
  • DELETION:

Linkedin:

• FUZZING: This should probably be a manual process on LinkedIn.  Just edit your info to include nonsense prior to deletion.  Ensure you have a backup first.
  • BACKUP:  Login -> Click Settings & Privacy -> Privacy -> Click "Change" on the "Download your data" row -> Select "The Works" (or w/e options you want) -> Click "Request Archive".
  • DELETION: Login -> Click the "Me Icon" -> Click Settings & Privacy -> Click "Account Preferences" -> Click "Account Management" -> click "Change" next to "Close account."
  • Tell them why you're leaving (give them one last piece of data before you go) -> Click Next.
  • Enter your account password and click Close account.

CAPTCHA:

• Do not fill out Captcha honestly. 
    • If it says click on buses, click on trains and buses or throw one train in there. 
    • If it says motorcycles, make sure to click a bicycle or two also.
    • You can actually be really dishonest on captchas. 
    • System that RELIES upon your honesty to teach the computer how to know what certain items are.
  • I feel that it is our job to not train these algorithms properly.... that's LITERALLY what you're doing when you are honest on Captcha.  Originally it was to prevent bots from accessing sites, but now it is used to  train AI.
  • If you notice all of the things it asks you to look at and decide upon are driving obstacles for the most part.

PEOPLE PLEASE READ: Go get yourself a "fake" phone number. You will only give this number to people that are not your family and/or close friends.  You can then use this number to sign up on Signal App.  If you're signing up to these secure messaging apps using your real phone number then "you're doing it wrong."

Gear icon in upper right corner -> Calls -> Call Forwarding -> Set to "off".

This will allow you ONLY send/receive messages on Signal App.

If you do not turn off call forwarding, you give your "fake" phone # to an oontzer, they call you, you miss the call, you call them back..... you have now given them your real phone number linked to your cell provider in their missed calls list.  Your phone will NOT dial out as the "fake" number, you only use it to RECEIVE.  Never reply to text sent to your fake number, only communicate with it through Signal App.

• Like 1
  • Props 3

I never got into the whole social media thing.

Long story short, when FB and Myspace where gaining popularity I was just getting started working in politics. When one of the older staff members and myself were having a conversation about the whole "social media movement", and its gives and takes. He pretty much told me to stay away from it at all costs for a variety of reasons, so I did and I don't regret it.

12oz is the exception for me, and that's because I like the people here

I'll have been a member here for 20yrs this October (yeah I had to look that up), not that I expect anyone to give a shit but I believe that speaks volumes for the people past and present I've had conversations with on this site 

• Truth 1
  • Props 5

Its not just social media. Its apps, stores, etc.  

For example I gave out my number to a few co workers and oddly enough spam calls have started.  This phone used to never ring.  

So I am guessing these apps that people download, specially the ones that want access to you contacts, must be gathering any and all info they can to sell.  

I really can't think of any other reason why this phone has started ringing more and more lately.   

Information gathering for value is very big business.  Not only will companies pay, but marketing firms to scammers.  What else would make some of these companies so valuable.  Tough to say really.  But think about it, in business, I have heard term "you can't give it away for free..."   maybe not, but it sure did work for Facebook, Instagram, Gmail, and many other tech service providers of free accounts.

I do not trust them with info. 

• Like 1

I guess the question we should be asking is what social media platforms are using our personal information for 

Targeted advertising?

ways to keep an individual engaged on social media?

The beginning of a social credit system?

Is Tupac still alive?

• Props 1

1 hour ago, Dirty_habiT said:

If you selected no, why do you still have your social media accounts, if any?

Simple. Money....At least for me, having instagram for my art shit has always been beneficial. Not just in online sales but connections to irl galleries. If it wasn't through there i'm not sure where else I'd be getting noticed (at least nowadays). It was different 10+ years ago through rap sprays in the streets and through "scene" friends or whatever you wanna call it. Easier. But NO ONE had it getting them much of anything unless you were a super sIcK blogger or some shit. Social media is gay. But 100% necessary if your'e not going door to door to every show and mixing it up with a plethora of other artists/galleries. 

Seems like it's even a requirement if you own a business now too, at least around my neck of the woods. I can't count the amount of times homeowners ask to see your page as a reference. Google my business uses that shit too. Allegedly. If you aren't actively posting in places like facebook and instagram they don't float your site up to that first page search, according to some folks I know. Unless thats just what the seo marketers people say to make you buy their services....Lol. Makes sense to me though. I think the more platforms your shit is on, the more google devil pumps your shit up. Same with ig and art stuff. I really do prefer the life of more anonymity across everything but I truly believe it's impossible if your'e not a introverted kinda already keeping to yourself type dude who has a regularish job and doesnt need the attention of as many other people as possible for incomes sake.   

• Truth 1

facebook is meh for me only if I get a text telling some important thing needing my attention from the school class parents group will I log in.

Instagram is graffiti, animals tearing each other apart, girlsgettinghurt, nutshots, comic artwork and the like. But mostly graffiti.

mine is made with an old anonymous hotmail account I set up for a graff mag, I have location turned off and no microphone or camera access.

If I'm doing stuff I don't like to be tracked on I log out and delete the app from my phone as well as putting phone on flight mode from when I meet the homie to when I'm back at home.

Not really sure if it helps but it can't hurt.

I really resisted instagram until 2013 when it was clear 12oz wasn't ever going back to the levels of usage like the 04-09 period.

I would stay on here forever if my mates were on 12oz and there were routinely new threads popping up about old school antwerp or helsinki subways or berlin U-bahns or Ohio 90's graff but sadly there isn't.

I've been on here 17 years with this name and I can't imagine life without it.

• Like 1
  • Props 1

Any of you on Friendster back in the day? Everyone I have mentioned it to these days has no idea what I am talking about.

I have not accessed any current social media for a few years. Don’t really care to delete it because never posted a bunch of selfies or personal social pictures anyways.

• Like 1
  • Props 1

@Dirty_habiTI actually tried a facebook scrub method when I got the monkey off my back. It was so labor intensive for my shitty computer that everything eventually crashed. I just gave up and logged out and never logged back in. My account has probably been hijack selling some mlm bullshit to my highschool classmates for years now.

• LOL! 2

On 1/22/2021 at 3:12 PM, mr.yuck said:

@Dirty_habiTI actually tried a facebook scrub method when I got the monkey off my back. It was so labor intensive for my shitty computer that everything eventually crashed. I just gave up and logged out and never logged back in. My account has probably been hijack selling some mlm bullshit to my highschool classmates for years now.

You pretty much nailed it on the head when you said "labor intensive" .  I think DHabz route is more expedite-tive than the route I took a couple years ago which took a while (a few months).  Of course, I am completely aware fb doesn't really delete anything, but I deleted post by post, like by like, photo by photo, etc.  Working off an on a few hours of the day deleting everything g I could.  I think I went on to unfreiending all the friends so I can completely (at least thinking) I will completely disassociate my life from fb. 

Again, I enfured a few months of this because I had built a fb database for 10yrs.  But anyhow, whatever they have for those 10yrs of my life, all I can say is enjoy, because they way I see it, that was the past, this is now, and what I have been doing and will do in the future at the best of my knowledge, fb will never have data on unless its somehow tracking/eavesdropping via cellphone. 

But anyhow, that's pretty much the way I deleted my fb history before I deleted my account (or whatever fb prefers to call it).

• Props 1

23 minutes ago, Dark_Knight said:

I guess so. My buddies mentioned it in a group text and then I googled it. Was trending on Twitter nationwide. Never heard the reasoning. Assuming they won’t address it.

I think this kind of stuff is bad news.  My friends and I still are not sure how much we trust one of the privacy centric messaging apps that much anymore after they had an unexplained outage.  Their reasoning was that "it was normal outage type stuff and not worth writing up."  Sketchy IMO when your company is a "security" focused company.

@ndv- the reason that I'm not sure it's worth deleting or fuzzing the db is because anyone with substantial storage (FB) will be taking snapshots of their databases (dbs).  Their dbs are where your user is stored in an spreadsheet type format along with every other user/piece of data.  I'm not sure how their dbs are separated/siloed/etc but , essentially if they were to completely lose the current set of data, like blown away datacenter cratered..... they would simply restore from the previous snapshot.

You would lose ~x amount of data (posts, pictures, likes, comments, etc) between right now and when that previous snapshot was taken and "that's it."  The reason I'm saying this is because deleting or overwriting your data, once you've GIVEN it to them, is (basically) impossible.  This is exactly why everyone should cut the cord on their bulk data warehousing immediately.

There are plenty of other avenues to stay in contact with people and get publicity needed to run a business.  FB (and other media orgs) have modeled their business in a way to where it is EASY to stay on their platform and continue giving.  They have purposefully made it difficult for you to "leave" (you can't do w/ your pc because it "takes too much pc to do", you can't force them to delete the data they have on you currently, and you cannot truly know if they have deleted **including snapshots/backups** of your data).

These things should all be _very_ alarming to anyone considering the goals and motives of the people (Jazz Dorkey, Zuckitov, etc) involved here.... also, "exactly who is involved (political/media/outside interests/affiliates) and exactly why are they involved?" These are super important questions that I think we all should be asking ourselves.

• Like 1

A friend of mine that worked high up at Twitter has told me some crazy weird stories about the culture within that company.  @morton- speaking of linkedin, this one feminazi at Twitter openly said on "Femeng" (internal female engineer chat channel at twitter) that anyone found to be misogynistic she would do everything possible to get them fired, and THEN she would follow them on Linkedin to their next employer and make sure they got fired from that job too.

Fucking.

Wild.

You DO NOT want these kind of people in charge of "what is ok to say or not."  I'll add LinkedIn to the list.  I've NEVER used it for a job because I've never had it.  When employers ask me about my Linkedin I tell them I do not have one and haven't ever had one.  I love it when they ask why not.  Welp, how much time do you have to talk about "why not?"

• Like 1
  • Truth 1