Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

High fashion designer talk / Replica banter / Designer sneakers/shoes/boots / Archival stuff


Recommended Posts

Rule: Do NOT post links to rep sites no matter how reputable they are. Don't forget what kind of forum you're on!

 

Other than that, let's talk. I don't know my shit, but it'll be fun. When is something considered archival? when it's at least ten years old?

 

While Dior Homme is now Dior Man while Kim Jones is in charge, I'll refer to it as DH as I'm not tryna slide in your DM. I don't like what KJ is doing but he definitely made DH more mainstream and raking in the dough. I got into designer stuff because minimal branding. Now it's (still) logomania. Fuck all that.

 

People hating on Hedi Slimane. Y'all are just...lmao?

 

Replicas are fine. While build construction is there, don't put so much belief into quality. More random thoughts in a bit.

Link to post
Share on other sites
This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

@ndv

Balmain was milking that market for a hot minute. If I wasn't so short, I'd have a pair. Biker jeans in general are cool though.

 

3 minutes ago, glorydays said:

yooooooo

 

here are some reps that i want

 

they're mostly nike

 

but thiiiis...this is what i want

 

Are those SB's? Are they fantasy piece or produced a while ago? PM

Edited by swif1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, swif1 said:

Other than that, let's talk. I don't know my shit, but it'll be fun. When is something considered archival? when it's at least ten years old?

 

While Dior Homme is now Dior Man while Kim Jones is in charge, I'll refer to it as DH as I'm not tryna slide in your DM. I don't like what KJ is doing but he definitely made DH more mainstream and raking in the dough. I got into designer stuff because minimal branding. Now it's (still) logomania. Fuck all that.

 

People hating on Hedi Slimane. Y'all are just...lmao?

 

Replicas are fine. While build construction is there, don't put so much belief into quality. More random thoughts in a bit.

 

I'm with you with the logo shit.

It's like a fucking nascar jacket

 

My thoughts on Kim is pretty mixed. I like the dude, himself, since he's a good guy. I hate that he let Sean Wutherspoon into his circle, since that dude is a hypebeast clown. 

 

The Stussy Dior shit kind of irked me since it seemed like a cash grab and an attempt at Louis x Supreme part 2.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Where do you guys determine the lines between ‘homage’ and ‘replica’ fall?

 

I think an homage of something :

A] with limited numbers, unattainable for potential buyers 

B] with a price unattainable for potential buyers

- is OK. Suitable purchase. Meaning, something that the buyer shouldn’t feel guilty about owning. As long as the quality is solid, it’s something there is no stock of, and the cost is out of their reach - they should feel no guilt. 

 

caveats - 

•not having original brand name on display in a disengenuous manor 

•not having original brand design elements on display in disingenuous manor - ie: logos
•not presenting item as legitimate and accepting praise for having legitimate item 

 

 

oi?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, KILZ FILLZ said:

Where do you guys determine the lines between ‘homage’ and ‘replica’ fall?

 

I think an homage of something :

A] with limited numbers, unattainable for potential buyers 

B] with a price unattainable for potential buyers

- is OK. Suitable purchase. Meaning, something that the buyer shouldn’t feel guilty about owning. As long as the quality is solid, it’s something there is no stock of, and the cost is out of their reach - they should feel no guilt. 

 

caveats - 

not having original brand name on display in a disengenuous manor 

not having original brand design elements on display in disingenuous manor - ie: logos

 

 

oi?

 

well...think of the difference between warren lotas and rick owens

 

WARREN LOTAS

Warren Lotas Nike Dunk Low Jason Vorhees Custom Release Info | HYPEBEAST

 

 

RICK OWENS

Rick Owens 2008 Creatch Dunk Leather Sneakers - Shoes - RIC30118 | The  RealReal

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, KILZ FILLZ said:

Would the owners attempt to pass them off as legit or admit they can’t obtain legit? I think that’s the diving line. For me ...

 

I believe that an homage takes the design language/DNA and either improves it or or incorporates design factors without actually copying the original.

 

Look at how many shoes today copy the uptown (air force 1)

 

image.png.503d8428883deccb361670373773b853.png

 

image.thumb.png.77117b4abd1c052a534eb7ee6b679721.png

 

image.thumb.png.a77acc6be13c6d04996e6c0b3b3d20e5.png

Edited by glorydays
  • Truth 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Those NASCAR jackets are the shit. isn't that Sean guy an anti-vaxxer? Anyway, I liked his work at LV but did he get tap the collab market at the perfect time or what. Personally, I feel collaborations don't have as much allure as it used to. Then again, fashion designers take inspo from art from dead and living artists. I guess I'm just burnt out from all these collabs in the past decade.

 

I read Kim always stays busy as that's his thing; hence why he took over Karl Lagerfeld's position at Fendi. I got upset when he was knocking on why being idle is boring etc. then I realized that's his opinion and he's not actually targeting anyone. I've always enjoyed monogram'd stuff in general, but now that it's (still) popping off, I don't like how these damn vintage items price be spiked.

 

I got into this snobby designer shit because it had not loud logo, but it has come full circle. What drew me to Dior were because of the darts on the rear pockets. While the jeans continue to have those darts, I don't like that there's a leather tag where the belt loop is. I liked some of his collabs with that Japanese robot designer, but I feel Kris Van Assche's collab with Toru Kamei was better. But from a selling standpoint, KJ's was more marketable imo and not some Rick Owens shit lmao.

 

I don't see myself getting anything from KJ-era anymore (MIJ 17.5 black selvedge raws I eventually sold among other items) although I'll continue to wear the following:

 

 

Screen Shot 2020-11-01 at 1.08.15 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-01 at 1.08.23 AM.png

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@glorydaysWhat I have in mind for this question is this

 

B4D52B7E-A164-4218-80F8-84605F77431F.jpeg.91b789f00d34e65b6bb74cc6cd27c717.jpeg

 

 

rolex submariner 

 

If you have cash in hand and walk into a Rolex authorized dealer, you will not leave with one. They control supply to a wild extent. They constrict supply to increase demand - to the point that second hand for current year models can be double retail value. Very odd business model. retail ~$5-10k and after market/ gray market ~$15k. 
 

however, you can get an homage by Steinhart with the same specs, also Swiss made, same design queues, yet no rolex logos —— for $500

 

i think this is a good meter for “homage”
 

 

  • Truth 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, KILZ FILLZ said:

Where do you guys determine the lines between ‘homage’ and ‘replica’ fall?

 

I think an homage of something :

A] with limited numbers, unattainable for potential buyers 

B] with a price unattainable for potential buyers

- is OK. Suitable purchase. Meaning, something that the buyer shouldn’t feel guilty about owning. As long as the quality is solid, it’s something there is no stock of, and the cost is out of their reach - they should feel no guilt. 

 

caveats - 

•not having original brand name on display in a disengenuous manor 

•not having original brand design elements on display in disingenuous manor - ie: logos
•not presenting item as legitimate and accepting praise for having legitimate item 

 

 

oi?

Loaded question lmao.

 

Personally, I feel context is key on this topic. I can see where you're going with that, however, "homage" can be considered grey area and to not get shut down. For example, I was on a rep site that pays this "homage" to a designer label but also making the prospective buyer aware of the source of material etc. and letting them know you're not getting the actual brand etc.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, KILZ FILLZ said:

@glorydaysWhat I have in mind for this question is this

 

B4D52B7E-A164-4218-80F8-84605F77431F.jpeg.91b789f00d34e65b6bb74cc6cd27c717.jpeg

 

 

rolex submariner 

 

If you have cash in hand and walk into a Rolex authorized dealer, you will not leave with one. They control supply to a wild extent. They constrict supply to increase demand - to the point that second hand for current year models can be double retail value. Very odd business model. retail ~$5-10k and after market/ gray market ~$15k. 
 

however, you can get an homage by Steinhart with the same specs, also Swiss made, same design queues, yet no rolex logos —— for $500

 

i think this is a good meter for “homage”
 

 

 

You're right

But I think we're talking about the same thing 

 

And thank you for putting me on to that watch

I'm gonna flex that shit with the fifty foot fake

 

But jokes aside...I kinda argue against homages to jewelry or watches because, the mechanics of a Rolex can never really be replicated.

 

It's different from shoes and garments in that if you find the right manufacture, then obviously you can make the exact same thing

 

Look at mnml.la @swif1what do you think of mnml.la copying fear of god

Link to post
Share on other sites

Your post about the watches is actually perfect re: homage.

 

From there, a replica would be a literally a fake Rolex. On the subject of replica watches, I was not aware how much they can run. Jfc.

 

Don't think I can ever afford a JLC perpetual calendar with moonphase, let along justify it (given my income bracket), but I can settle for a Raymond Weil.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, glorydays said:

Look at mnml.la @swif1what do you think of mnml.la copying fear of god

 

I think it was to be expected--just like H&M and Zara. It's bound to happen.

 

Void the Brand be taking "inspo" from Rick, Guidi, BBS, etc too. I suppose you, as the taste maker, have to keep doing what you can do to still make a profit when there's cheap alternatives.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, swif1 said:

 

I think it was to be expected--just like H&M and Zara. It's bound to happen.

 

Void the Brand be taking "inspo" from Rick, Guidi, BBS, etc too. I suppose you, as the taste maker, have to keep doing what you can do to still make a profit when there's cheap alternatives.

 

that's what i hate about hypebeast culture today

 

it's about the "look" more than the flex of buying the actual thing

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, KILZ FILLZ said:

I have no idea what those are broski @glorydays

39xSxJA.png.1981fdeacc2407dfcd1557104a208cf5.png

10 hours ago, KILZ FILLZ said:

Would the owners attempt to pass them off as legit or admit they can’t obtain legit? I think that’s the diving line. For me ...

True, but imo one shouldn't "call out" the person in a social setting with others are around unless they initiated. I saw some dude with the Sean Wotherspoon's. I pointed at them and was like "ayyyy nice" as we walked past each other at a Five Guys ha. I don't see it as bad as stolen valor though.

10 hours ago, KILZ FILLZ said:

however, you can get an homage by Steinhart with the same specs, also Swiss made, same design queues, yet no rolex logos —— for $500

>Swiss made

I haven't looked into the minimum requirements for a watch/movement to be classified as Swiss made, but it definitely has gotten more lax imo.

 

11 hours ago, swif1 said:

Replicas are fine. While build construction is there, don't put so much belief into quality. More random thoughts in a bit.

This was supposed to be two separate thoughts. The latter is in reference to authentic/retail designer sneakers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, swif1 said:

Those NASCAR jackets are the shit. isn't that Sean guy an anti-vaxxer? Anyway, I liked his work at LV but did he get tap the collab market at the perfect time or what. Personally, I feel collaborations don't have as much allure as it used to. Then again, fashion designers take inspo from art from dead and living artists. I guess I'm just burnt out from all these collabs in the past decade.

 

I read Kim always stays busy as that's his thing; hence why he took over Karl Lagerfeld's position at Fendi. I got upset when he was knocking on why being idle is boring etc. then I realized that's his opinion and he's not actually targeting anyone. I've always enjoyed monogram'd stuff in general, but now that it's (still) popping off, I don't like how these damn vintage items price be spiked.

 

I got into this snobby designer shit because it had not loud logo, but it has come full circle. What drew me to Dior were because of the darts on the rear pockets. While the jeans continue to have those darts, I don't like that there's a leather tag where the belt loop is. I liked some of his collabs with that Japanese robot designer, but I feel Kris Van Assche's collab with Toru Kamei was better. But from a selling standpoint, KJ's was more marketable imo and not some Rick Owens shit lmao.

 

I don't see myself getting anything from KJ-era anymore (MIJ 17.5 black selvedge raws I eventually sold among other items) although I'll continue to wear the following:

 

 

Screen Shot 2020-11-01 at 1.08.15 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-01 at 1.08.23 AM.png

 

Designer shit for me sounded exotic at first since i was and am a streetwear kid at heart

 

but there were times where i questioned myself and said "when am i gonna grow up"

 

I actually began giving it a go with junya watanabe and wearing alot of ivy league shit

 

but that only lasted like 4 years LMAO

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, glorydays said:

 

that's what i hate about hypebeast culture today

 

it's about the "look" more than the flex of buying the actual thing

 It's all about the pics, baby. Gotta get them likes. I don't feed into it, thankfully.

 

  • LOL! 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, swif1 said:

 It's all about the pics, baby. Gotta get them likes. I don't feed into it, thankfully.

 

 

theres one thing that they do also

 

they buy the real thing and return it after taking instagram pics

 

fuck me....they need to go burn in a fire

  • Truth 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, glorydays said:

 

Designer shit for me sounded exotic at first since i was and am a streetwear kid at heart

 

but there were times where i questioned myself and said "when am i gonna grow up"

 

I actually began giving it a go with junya watanabe and wearing alot of ivy league shit

 

but that only lasted like 4 years LMAO

I felt that in my bones. I like streetsyle and streetwear, but I wouldn't have much opportunities to wear it as I'm in an office environment most of the time. Suffice to say my lifestyle dictates a considerable portion of my wardrobe.

 

Yet I'm over here copping more jeans and sneakers than I really need. shrug

  • Truth 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, swif1 said:

I felt that in my bones. I like streetsyle and streetwear, but I wouldn't have much opportunities to wear it as I'm in an office environment most of the time. Suffice to say my lifestyle dictates a considerable portion of my wardrobe.

 

Yet I'm over here copping more jeans and sneakers than I really need. shrug

 

Brooooo...i tell myself that if i don't cop that, some asshole will. And those shits are rare

 

I got shit from supreme that dates back to 2008 and im never letting them go

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, glorydays said:

 

Brooooo...i tell myself that if i don't cop that, some asshole will. And those shits are rare

 

I got shit from supreme that dates back to 2008 and im never letting them go

Same. I have some stuff dating back to the early 2000's from DH in my fav color I always considered selling, then I realized that money is temporary and it should be worn and not stay in the closet. I had my Geobaskets in the box for months before deciding to sell them. I'm glad I was able to find most of my grails though...especially the Raf Simons chain derbies from SS12 that was a Mr. Porter exclusive. Damn things are heavy af.

  • Truth 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, swif1 said:

Same. I have some stuff dating back to the early 2000's from DH in my fav color I always considered selling, then I realized that money is temporary and it should be worn and not stay in the closet. I had my Geobaskets in the box for months before deciding to sell them. I'm glad I was able to find most of my grails though...especially the Raf Simons chain derbies from SS12 that was a Mr. Porter exclusive. Damn things are heavy af.

 

bro....goddamn right

 

you can always make more money

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...