Starting a brand....yea yea yea I know

glorydays

So I have my first graphic that I will be using for tee shirts.

I contacted this artist through instagram and his prices were fucking low so I commissioned it.

I'll be using 12oz as a diary, somewhat, for this little journey.

My next step is getting a second graphic from another artist who I will be using for the foreseeable future.

The artist I'm asking to work with is Randy Bruiser who does art for Paulie's deli and Undefeated.

I was a fan of his art and his prices were a little more expensive but he told me it's worth it.

So, let's see what happens.

20201015_164601.thumb.jpg.84357c5e9a961d6323636247f6c59503.jpg

Edited by glorydays
  • Like 2
  • Props 3

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
20 hours ago, KILZ FILLZ said:

Break a leg

18 hours ago, swif1 said:

Godspeed , brother

1 hour ago, Qawee said:

Excited to see what you come up with, I'm in for at least a t-shirt 

This is all very encouraging.

I'm gonna be printing through Sunday Print Co. in LA cuz their minimums are reeeeaaallly fucking low and very manageable.

This is gonna take a few weeks.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2020 at 6:32 AM, delv said:

I've always been curious what a tee graphic price is. Care to divulge the costs so far?

I'm curious to follow your brand as it's something I've considered myself many MANY times. 

Good luck!

It all depends on the artist you go through

there is also licensing prices for artwork that's already out there

I had a specific theme and art style in mind and i wanted an original character design

so i went to an artist i knew who did the style i wanted and i dm'd him on instagram

they answered back and negotiated a price 

this one was pretty cheap considering who the artist was 

mine cost 200 for just black and white

I'm going to be using randy bruiser from now on and he costs 400 to 500 retainer

• Like 1
  • Props 1

thought about the way i want my brand to be percieved and how i want my theme portrayed

I'm going for a relaxed and leisure type of vibe since i'm parodying a retirement lifestyle

In the future, I'm going to be doing cut and sew once i know for sure this is something i can maintain on a small scale level

I want a boxier and more relaxed tee shirt, which is in line with my theme and allows me to really show off the graphic I'm putting on

So, the blanks I'm going with is RuePorter

Their minimums are non-existent AND they print so I'm in luck with this brand

BUT once I order, it's go time...they do not fuck around, they want their money

Once everything is dialed in, then i'm diving in

613603532_Screenshot2020-10-18152848.thumb.png.60b370c45a31470b15da41ee34a4f5bb.png1199308007_Screenshot2020-10-18152925.thumb.png.085a200da64472e483b605d42f13206e.png

Edited by glorydays
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, nicklesndimes said:

good luck having success with your brand. really interesting to hear the creative end of what goes into these kind of projects...

I have Raven to lean on when it comes to the business side.

The one thing he told me not to do is to sit on product

make enough product to sell out and make more if the demand is high

And i do have a vision in mind...I'm thinking beer drunk while playing golf...that's what im going for

Edited by glorydays
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Qawee said:

Damn thats wack, better to be above board though than probably get fined out the ass for the crime of selling t shirts 

Still have to pay the tax owed too.   And if you cannot prove your sales, states are really good at assuming every business is selling products like hot cakes.  So if you do not have record keep and a sales tax license it maybe tough to prove to the state you genuinely had 250k in sales that year opposed to the state thinking 750k in sales because they assume. 

@glorydays get ya ducks lined up, get that sales tax license and sell, sell, and at times sale. 

• Truth 1

11 hours ago, ndv said:

Still have to pay the tax owed too.   And if you cannot prove your sales, states are really good at assuming every business is selling products like hot cakes.  So if you do not have record keep and a sales tax license it maybe tough to prove to the state you genuinely had 250k in sales that year opposed to the state thinking 750k in sales because they assume. 

@glorydays get ya ducks lined up, get that sales tax license and sell, sell, and at times sale. 

I kept the expected sales quota LOOOOW for that reason LMAO

Im not gonna be caught lacking

@glorydaysi'm a UX designer by day so hit me up when you got some stuff to look at. I am happy to give blunt unbiased feedback on both your product and your site design. 

I'm very keen to support people I encounters vision and more than happy to give my time to help push you along.

You got this mate. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, delv said:

@glorydaysi'm a UX designer by day so hit me up when you got some stuff to look at. I am happy to give blunt unbiased feedback on both your product and your site design. 

I'm very keen to support people I encounters vision and more than happy to give my time to help push you along.

You got this mate. 

Thank you bro

I'll hit you up if ever i scale up 

alright...it's been an interesting few weeks

i think i'm gonna stick with patrick owsley for my artist since getting a hold of randy is a bitch and a half

I vectored my image and i'm trying to get a hold of sunday print

I've been talking to Made Blanks for tees sewn in LA...rue porter is just too expensive to ship from europe right now

Made has some tees that look pretty good and not too boxy...I'll keep searching for alternatives but my list is narrowed since i want Made in the US tees

goddamn

contacting businesses fucking sucks

I have tees from CES4Wish and he use Champion T105

They're boxy as fuck and i think i'm gonna go with these for my first batch...once everything starts falling into place, then i'll move to different brands

I'm thinking of ordering 12-medium and 12-large...if you guys are thinking that it's limited, then fuck you

the larges can fit XL or even XXL in width...these are booooxy

30416_f_fl.jpg

I'm going through brand names of blanks that are good alternatives

Bella Canvas 3091 is a pretty good tee

Note* I'm going to size up for this tee

so if i go with this model I will need to buy Large as Medium, and, XLarge as Large.

the tee is pretty slim and I'm looking for a boxier fit

With bella canvas, it seems that as sizing goes up, the only delta between Large and XLarge is the width 

The "height" of the tee doesnt change 

the pic is a bit deceptive, since the sleeves arent actually that short

43457_f_fl_front_1571764151.jpg

Edited by glorydays

Alright, I was talking to this youtube guy about tees

He recommended Comfort Colors 1717, which is a thicker tee and is the closest to the champion tee above

Since I want a baggier look, I will be using Large as a Medium, and XLarge as Large.

Comfort Colors 1717 Adult Ring-Spun Tee - Shop at ApparelnBags.com

Edited by glorydays

My artist is also working with me on a skateboard graphic

this shit is so fun...inkscape allows me to fuck with the shape and size of the letters of any font i use

I'll be going through sk8factory and the decks i order will be very limited in quantitiy

I'm gonna do the pricing at 10 decks for 250

They're made in the US and they said they will print for me

Damn, this is gonna take longer than i thought

reason being is that my artist is about quality and he takes his time with the artwork which i REALLY appreciate

But fuck all that, it's gonna be worth the weight

print-on-7-75-steep-skate-deck.jpg

I think i found the ONE

This tee has the proportions i want and i dont have to fuck with the sizing

I'm going with white only tees since i want to test drive this thing before fully going into redline

What i like about this tee is that it is relatively cheap, made in the US, and has the height to width ratio that I'm looking for without having to go with champion

1317773155_Screenshot2020-10-24123120.thumb.png.5baa657b9077253073e9e839645c5c17.png

779866864_Screenshot2020-10-24123142.thumb.png.16632097d2f8f42d7791aa87e579a63e.png

Us Blanks US3210 Mens Vintage Fit Heavyweight Cotton T-Shirt