Forum Upgrades

misteraven

2 hours ago, glorydays said:

the only thing that i think would cover everything i've wanted with the site is if you connected our shop account with our forum account

That would close off my wishlist LMAO

I thought about doing it and I believe there are bridges that allow, but I've intentionally kept those separate. Lot of kids dont want their forum account associated with their real life details. Maybe less an issue in the Instagram era, but thought it wise to keep things separated.

• Like 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Maybe we need an option to allow people to link the two accounts if they'd like.  We'd want to replace the store login with the forum login if the option was selected as "yes" in their profile, and if it was selected as "no" then we'd want to either do nothing, or delete the store account link to the forum account effectively removing the "store account".  They could then sign up for a separate store account if that's what they so desired.

1 hour ago, Dirty_habiT said:

I bet that guy couldn't look you and tell you w/ a straight face that full chub is not achieved firing that thing. @ndv

I was wondering.  Because as I look at the picture, i feel like there is so many things wrong here, like 3rd Degree burns or something.   But then again I am not experienced in projectile firing devices.

2 hours ago, Dirty_habiT said:

Maybe we need an option to allow people to link the two accounts if they'd like.  We'd want to replace the store login with the forum login if the option was selected as "yes" in their profile, and if it was selected as "no" then we'd want to either do nothing, or delete the store account link to the forum account effectively removing the "store account".  They could then sign up for a separate store account if that's what they so desired.

Yeah dude, lets keep piling on the tech shit... LOL! Just what I need is to add to that laundry list.

• LOL! 2

@misteraven @Dirty_habiT - can you add a background that makes it feel like I live in an isolated A-frame cabin on the lake in the middle of nowhere? Maybe some subtle bird chirping sounds? And every once in a while a doe and her fawns walks by, stop and stare at me enjoying the surrounding solitude on my large patio overlooking the lake, and then continue on to graze. 

That would be awesome, thanks. 

• LOL! 2

Wanted to ask you guys... There's a few changes I've been considering. Most notably, I've been discussing with @Dirty_habiThow we can significantly improve on performance. Not an easy task with as complex a system and as much data as we're dealing with, coupled with the fact that there's a very real limit to how much I can keep paying out of pocket for all the hosting and licensing involved.

But two things I was looking at implementing...

1. Was thinking the main body text in posts should be bigger. Seems like the modern web is all about lightweight fonts with plenty of spacing and generally much larger than old school internet which was usually about 12pt.

2. Obviously 12oz is sort of known for the dark color scheme, but not there's tools for dark and light mode. I dont want to waste my time generating a light colored theme of nobody is going to use it, but wondering how many people might prefer a light theme, which would be a white background and dark text?

Anyhow, I have a ton on my plate... Preparing an actual full 12ozProphet website, likely a new look for the shop and a bunch of new product, but thought I could try and squeeze in some additional refinements to the forum.

Thoughts?

Yeah, if no one's asking for light  theme change then it aint broke.  

Don't know if you guys are still tinkering around under the hood here & there but I notice sometimes the page loads fast and other times it sits and struggles:

249660581_ScreenShot2020-10-16at1_10_15PM.thumb.png.104a553f7701c5ed6c02fd16decf731e.png

Also just got a lot of trouble trying to drag and drop a pic into a post:

1115460907_ScreenShot2020-10-16at1_09_14PM.thumb.png.96b8da1dc9ade98177824ef68c8ac692.png

I was able to put the pic in eventually, but not before logging out and back in.  Posted plenty of pics earlier, no prob.

yeah i was having loading issues as well earlier posting in the music thread.. wouldnt let me go back to the home forum page but ive been going in and out of posts and it seems fine now..

also im down for some slightly bigger font but not for the light theme.. 12oz has its own style and think it should stay in the dark mode or whatever.. as far as text i dont mind the font now but on my oneplus 8 right during set up you can choose the normal times new roman or their "oneplus font".. honestly they're kind of the same but the oneplus font is a little more thick and slightly more spacious than the normal making it slightly easier on the eyes.. the text isnt that big of a deal to me but i wouldn't mind a lil refresh at the same time..

14 hours ago, misteraven said:

Seems like the modern web is all about lightweight fonts with plenty of spacing and generally much larger than old school internet which was usually about 12pt.

Fuck the modern web.

This is 12oz, so keep it 12pt.

14 hours ago, misteraven said:

12oz is sort of known for the dark color scheme

Yes, and it's awesome, please just leave it like that.

Adding to this, in a somewhat more serious tone @misteraven -

personally, I really do appreciate that 12oz still looks like an oldschool internet forum - and a very refined one, with a good layout at that.

It does not scream for attention and does not get in the way with additional gadgets, it lets the user focus on the actual content.

I think there's a lot of value in that, comparing this with a lot of other ("modern") sites, which frankly just look like they're all over the place.

By the way this is from somebody browsing 12oz on a desktop with a rather big screen - I have no idea how stuff looks on a phone.

I do understand that in a few years time most people will browse the web on phones / tablets predominantly (if not already),

so this might change the whole situation of how you'd want to present / arrange content -

I guess part of why modern sites are more spaced out etc. is exactly because people navigate them with their greasy index fingers on a touchscreen, not with a mouse.

While I'm here - what I don't get is why (sometimes, not always) there's this sidebar on the right (see picture below) with stats etc.

Can one switch this on or off somewhere?

Oh and by the way the "burger menu" button with the red stripes which allowed for minimizing the left sidebar does not work anymore for me since the last upgrade.

Screenshot 2020-10-17 at 09.18.55.png

7 hours ago, Deine Mudder said:

While I'm here - what I don't get is why (sometimes, not always) there's this sidebar on the right (see picture below) with stats etc.

Can one switch this on or off somewhere?

Oh and by the way the "burger menu" button with the red stripes which allowed for minimizing the left sidebar does not work anymore for me since the last upgrade.

Screenshot 2020-10-17 at 09.18.55.png

looking into it. 

• Like 1