Pistol

What you write with?

These are some of the pens I have in my rotation or have just bought. Trying to see if I like them or not. Some pens I like for different purposes. Some for neat work related stuff. Some for taking notes. Some for bold signatures. 

Zebra F-301 1.6 mm Bold

My favorite boldest ballpoint pen. I love the pen itself. Heavy duty metal body that feels good in the hand. Great for leaving big bold signatures and doodling or notes.  This one I’m using is kinda old and running dry so not the best example. Only problem I have is they don’t make a blue with the 1.6 mm Also the bold is getting harder to find. Usually only at Staples now. 

Foray Advanced Ink Boldpoint 1.2mm. 

This is my second favorite ballpoint that I’ve tried. Flows really smoothly. One problem is the ink collects on the pen and the first time you use it, it might leave a spot on the paper. I also wish the body was  more like the Zebra. This body seems cheap and flimsy. 

Third one is the same just different color.

Moma Muji Aluminum .7mm

A bit too thin for my liking. But I read a review that this was his favorite writing utensil. So I gave it a shot. The aluminum body is super light. The pen itself writes very smooth. No skips. One odd thing is the pen itself that comes out of the body seems really small and flimsy. 

Zebra Z Grip Medium. 

I just took this one from work. It’s okay. Nothing spectacular. This would be a pen i let someone borrow and not care too much if they snag it. 

The Ohto Fude ballpoint. 

This one is a very watery gel pen. Obviously very bold. Writes nicely. Dries very quickly. Though not a big fan of gel pens. Would work well on porous papers. 

Sharpie Pen Fine. 

This is my go to pen for work. I can write very small and legibly with it. I work outdoors and the sun fades regular ballpoints in a couple days. This stays legible forever. The body is thin and simple and the pen itself is easy to write with and doesn’t bleed through. My favorite most often used pen. 

*Also /nh throughout. 

883FFDF6-C2C4-47D7-8866-D9EEF3B3A212.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Props 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Yes, I love me some good pens. Will share when I get home.

on that note I have a new coworker, the first interaction with him I immediately got the feeling he was/is a cop. The way he carried himself, later he told me he used

to be a Sherrif out in SF.

anyways he stole my good pen. I fucking hate cops.

• Truth 1

I use pencils for the most part, about ten years ago they stopped making quality mechanical pencils. I am not sure how but it seems like all brands have a hard time with advancing the lead now.

I generally use the 7mm Zebra equivalent of the first pen posted or for red lead I like the new 1.1mm Write  in the Rain pencils. 

I like papermate for ballpoint and stadler for felt when it comes to pens.

Artline makes a good marker, but I suppose that is another topic alltogether.

this is going to sound super dumb.... I love the free pens you get at expensive hotels that are really narrow, a bit shorter than usual, and often have a stylus nub on the other end. I just find that because they're small I cant put them everywhere. Also they are free from the lobby. Also it's usually black ink, because black is classy, or some marketing nonsense.

• Like 1

These are pretty popular but a lot of people hate them for being too easy to smear. 

I cant get enough of them. 

If I am sketching I like those micron for outlines because they don't bleed.

You used to be able to turn those zebra metal pens into a one hitter. Unscrew the metal tip and clear out the gunts of pen, put the tip in the end backwards and it should be pretty secure.

Great for smoking on the go and being a degenerate. Quickly assembles as pen. Although I have heard that thetip might have some kind of plastic lining now 

Pilot-G2-Retractable-Premium-Color-Gel-Ink-Roller-Ball-Pen-Press-Unisex-Pen-Japan-0-38mm.jpg_640x640.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Anyone fuck w refillable pens?

im sick of losing my Bic pens 

a coworker hit me with a “if you had a nice one you wouldn’t do that shit”. fool has a $200 Mont Blanc, but I’m not interested in something like that, in the age of computers and email n all.

maybe if I was a writer for a living or something like that...

there are some that are attainable, $10-30

kind of aligns with the ‘buy it for life’ / ‘buy once cry once’ / ‘minimalist’ philosophies 

maybe after I lose/use up the Bics I already have.

not interested at all in a fountain pen

would def be rollerball or ballpoint 

This is kinda my speed:

E6A6BE4C-3B84-4FCE-A75D-D71D18BA458D.thumb.jpeg.270ed98dedd233f97d56d1ece39179fe.jpeg

doesn’t break the bank but nice. 

anyone been down this road before?

• Like 2

The fisher space pens are write smooth but feel small in thr hand and your hand begins to fatigue.  Or at leadt mine does.   

Mont Blanc are OK in my opinion (one of my customers gives out the cheapest MB pens to 5yrs. Employees and the $400 pen to the 10yrs. employee), smooth but nothing that justifies a multi hundred dollar pen.   

I think they are plenty of pens under 100 dollars that are just as nice.  I just write with whatever pens I pick up from shows and such. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, KILZ FILLZ said:

@ndvthanks for that insight. The space pen was one I was looking at but I have big gorilla hands, so that def sounds like a deal breaker. 

Yeah if you have large hands then I wouldn't recommend the space pen.   I am not sure what to recommend, however, that Diplomat Pen you posted looks like a thicker space pen, looks really cool too.

In the mean time, below pictures are a representation of some of my lasing work for a customer...  The pictured Pens are MBs cheapest pen (entry level Star Walker) @ $340.00.  

Like i said earlier, IMO, they write smooth, feel good in the hand, but wasn't impressed with the smooth writing to justify 340 kind made me think other competitors and alternatives

20160112_204442.jpg

20160112_204456.jpg

• Like 2
  • Props 1

@ndvyeah those diplomats look sweet. Still up around that $200 mark though. Also to phallic to fly in my workspace 🤣. Jarheads and Squids I work with would lose their shit 

were those gifts for execs or a holiday party or something? Man that would be sweet. 

I’ll prob poke around some pawn shops, consignment shops and used jewelry shops to see if maybe I can snag something up on the cheap while I’m burning through the disposable pens I have left. eBay too. If I don’t come across a steal by then I think this is the way I will go 

CDE970E0-91EF-414C-91B2-5F417C384F75.thumb.jpeg.865aa6e0ae04906fa966d74435f44e54.jpeg

not a flashy guy at all but a yellow pen may be fun. 

• Like 1

@KILZ FILLZ yes  they were gifts, not for execs, for reg employees, those pen are for the 5yr mile stone employees, the 10yr mile stone employees get the next level pen which is the 500 dollar mid level MBs.  The company that does this for their employees, is nuts, i never seen anything like it before.  At fifteen years employees get one of those Microsoft computer tablets and not the cheap one. 

Anyhow, if you are interested in a MB second hand to cheaper there are plenty out there for sale.  However, there are plenty of fakes on the market which is very tough at times to tell.  A gen MB pens body is a extremely dark red resin, so one of the ways to check is to remove the ink cartridge and shine a high power led flashlight down the barrel and check for  reddish transparency which can be tough to see soon may need to inspect it at different angles.  The pen itself should feel solid and have some weight to it. There is also an engraving under the metal  clip at the end that is connected the pen however, this is the easiest to replicate, but often missed by counterfeiters because most counterfeiters usually do not go through purchasing a laser machine just for a .01 second marking.

Of course the forementioned is useless if you purchase online, but in pen shops you can check for this. 

Yeah, I didn't know those diplomats ran that high.  But those are sweet pens. And the yellow pen there has the coolness, that will make me hold on to extra tight because some one gonna steal it. 

• Props 1

• 3 weeks later...

This is cool man. I enjoy the physical act of writing things down so years ago I bought a fountain pen and I found it to be one of the hardest things to control. I could never get the pressure right and would leave massive ink pools and spatters everywhere. I dont know if it was because it was a cheap pen or I was just crap at using it. I didnt buy a different fountain pen to find out.

• LOL! 2