A RaNdoM ?? for A RanDom AnsWeR...

ndv

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • 2 months later...

I am hoping I can get some help here.  

So I was wondering, if "rotating" tires is what it means.  Am I correct thinking if the wheels  spokes are in the same orientation (valve stems as well, say 🤔  6 O'clock).

Would this be called "setting" ?  As in setting the wheels/tires?

2 hours ago, morton said:

To swap the tires around in order to even out the wear on the tread. 

No, not rotating.  More so aligning the spokes to be identical.   So basically this

In the photo, you see how the spokes are not orientated in the same position?   

That misalignment is what I am trying to ask.  If there is a proper term used by manufacturers or pit crews as in setting the tires. 

I just wasn't sure if there is specific lingo for it. 

But here's where I am really confused.  @morton

So here's what I did.  Jacked up the car.  Put it in neutral, moved the tires around until the wheel spokes visually matched the rears and set it the car back down.  Then did the same for the other side.  So now, after driving it (didn't peel out or anything)  the wheels are no longer aligned and off again as you can see in the photo.  

What am I missing?

20200913_130826.jpg

Interesting question.  I don't know the answer but will take a guess that it's because your front and rear wheels don't travel exactly the same distance. The front wheels turn while the rear wheels are stationary and only follow the path of the front.  If these were more like train wheels following a single track, or if you only drove straight and never turned, then they would stay alligned.

• Props 1

32 minutes ago, One Man Banned said:

Interesting question.  I don't know the answer but will take a guess that it's because your front and rear wheels don't travel exactly the same distance. The front wheels turn while the rear wheels are stationary and only follow the path of the front.  If these were more like train wheels following a single track, or if you only drove straight and never turned, then they would stay alligned.

Wasn't thinking about that, and that makes complete sense.