What did you ACCOMPLISH?

Dirty_habiT

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
10 hours ago, Dirty_habiT said:

So after I was done dropping all his trash on his side of the line I filed a police report for the threat. It didn't do much but there's a case number and a record of ol yokel saying something he shouldn't. 
My guess is he has a bunch of deer hunting guns and not anything that shoots 7.62x39 like me. 

You're in TX, aren't you supposed to challenge him to a duel or something?

• Like 1
  • Truth 1
  • LOL! 1

Is your friend who helped blaze the lines an RLS and if so did you have him or her prepare a plat showing the boundary?

Texas surveying is pretty interesting as far as it goes, Spanish land grants and some unique legal situations make it somewhat different than in the Western or Colonial states.

I hope that you and your neighbors are able to resolve your difference without any further legal or extra-legal actions. Boundary disputes can be problematic and expensive. 

We should bring in DAO to referee the use of law enforcement. 

As far as personal accomplishments, I am a little proud of the progress I have made swimming lately. I joined a masters team in July and have made just about every practice, I am still not fast enough to hit all the send-offs but have improved enough to get the "easy" ones.

The group is really great and seeing the way they swim and interact has shown me what sportsmanship is all about.

When I swam as a kid I resented the swimmers that were faster than I was and I resented myself for not being faster, I am sure that was immaturity on my part but that poor coaching and overall culture contributed to it.  I quit as soon as I was old enough.

About a decade ago I started swimming on a smaller masters team and being an adult, swimming because I wanted to and not because my parents were forcing me to I came to appreciate it and no longer resented my shortcomings or was envious of the faster swimmers. Unfortunately the pool where we were swimming changed up the schedule and the team dissolved, I did not find another team and have swam, mainly easy sets, by myself on and off since then.

The team I am swimming with now is mid sized and a good number of them are pretty serious swimmers, they encourage each other and have a tremendous amount of positivity about the whole affair. I am now stoked for the faster swimmers and am just happy that I get to participate and swim fast. 

I feel like I am a little old to be getting the memo on this approach to teamwork and sportsmanship but am glad to have gotten it in the end. 

• Like 1
  • Props 3

Before I read the rest of your post. Surveying is what my friend does for a living. His equipment used gps to find the lines based upon the plat with an accuracy of 1/10". 

He's legit. Also the next day the neighbor paid for their own survey and their guy didn't mark anything on our property line differently than what my friend did. 

• Like 1

That's bad ass to stick with a sport for so long @morton. I'm super washed in the bmx game and I probably could lose 20lbs to get back to my fighting weight. Wrecking the bike at my age and weight feels like throwing a sack of bricks on the ground. 

I don't think there is any more dispute. My dad talked to the neighbor about it after I left and she agreed her son was in the wrong and she hadn't told him about our previous discussion.  It's going to blow over. I'm moving out of Austin Tx to get away from people and get some quiet living where my shit is secure. 

anyway I've had this bmx frame I had custom powder coated at the standard bykes factory. Flame red with silver fleck in the clear coat. I've had this frame and fork for like a year or two now and haven't bought any parts to build it. Mostly because I have high standards and will only put really good parts on it. So yesterday the bottom bracket and integrated headset I ordered showed up. It won't be long before I have a sweet ass custom bmx (already have three others). The special thing about this 125R is that it's a very light weight race frame. Every bmx I have and have owned in the past have been heavier freestyle bmx bikes made for strength. 

9F63603A-4CC0-4B57-A918-9CA10F0DA13D.jpeg

AAC763A2-01B2-4CE9-8787-8658E0C323B3.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Props 1

Many moons ago I got evicted from a squatter house with a bunch of other dudes who were “scholars” and I was not. They left loads of cool old books of snobby literature and philosophy.Some 1st editions yada yada that they used to sell. I held on to a box for a long time with no intention on reading and planned to throw them to the curb some day till I discovered cool shit you can do with then like carve secret stash holes and make floating shelves. Never got around to it for like 10 years lol literally until this week. A lot of pain in the dick but I think the first one came out ok. This is the only one I made with the stash but I made a few other shelves. Will post hanging photos soon. 

2AE5FC01-C0F1-44DD-902D-33B9483AD27E.jpeg

55263C7A-13D7-4FF5-A753-F34B2B8DF429.jpeg

9E87E99D-6E6A-459E-9052-DC16818BAF25.jpeg

1E2283F6-7033-4C9F-8695-67B9ECD840D5.jpeg

EDF31989-24BF-4F5B-90F7-51DBB8533B79.jpeg

418A9CB0-52A1-4A44-9331-38EB23E372E3.jpeg

594AE41B-BDB6-405D-867D-4BAA4013A09C.jpeg

Edited by NightmareOnElmStreet
  • Like 2
  • Props 2

22 minutes ago, Dirty_habiT said:

That's pretty legit. Is the angle bracket so it can be screwed into the back of the book case or something?

The brackets are so it can be hung flush directly on the wall. You place other books and or a plant or trinket or whatever on top so you won’t see anything but a book on the wall (shrug, but cool story.)

I see.... so it's like a shelf that is a book then?

What I accomplished yesterday/last night other than taking a nap:

I got awoken from my nap by my gf calling me saying her car just "blew up" in the line at Freddies.  Welp, great.  I get dressed and go over there to pick her up, some people had helped push her car into a parking spot.  Coolant is on the ground and of course the first thing my mind races to is the headgasket is fucked and the motor requires major work (that i'm not excited to do) if she didn't shut it off quickly after it was running hot.

Well, the lesson, before I go on, if you don't watch your temp gauge on your car like a hawk, I suggest you start.  I learned this over a decade ago owning the DSMs.  I was constantly popping headgaskets on those cars for various reasons, all of which were always my fault.

Anyway, I can't find the leak after looking over quickly but what I did find is that the connectors that plug the car's harness into the radiator fans was hanging close to the power steering pulley.  The pulley had rubbed through the wire insulation and severed the wire completely..... meaning at highway speed the air passing over the radiator was keeping the car cool.  When she stopped and sat in the line without fans running, the temp creeped up high enough to pressurize and explode her radiator.

I didn't find the break in the radiator, I'll probably do that today at some point.  So we drove back home and, fortunately, I own the exact same kind of car.... and had my radiator out on the garage floor because of a motor swap i've been in the "middle of doing for ~10mo now".  (aka laziness)

So, I take all the "non engine" cooling components that are already connected together in one piece (radiator, fans, hoses, sensors).... put that in the truck, put a 3 gallon container of water in the truck, my small jack, and my bag of tools.  I had her radiator swapped out in less than 30 minutes.

I saw bubbles in the coolant which tells me it likely suffered damage to the headgasket and will likely need to be fixed the way I really didn't want to have to fix it (engine removal).

Anyway, not a big deal.... it was able to drive home just fine and held the proper temperature.  You'll be in a MUCH better situation if you turn your car off when you notice the coolant temp gauge going over the halfway mark..... much better than if you let it peg hot and find the weakest link.

My guess is one of the plastic end tanks is cracked now.  She can keep my radiator setup and I will just buy a Koyo radiator for my car and install her stuff on it from her radiator once I fix the wiring.  That was my night last night, woken up from a nap that I needed after only 20 minutes...... to go fix a crappy unplanned car issue.

DHABZ express radiator replacement service $960 in 2h or less or your radiator service is FREEEEEEE.

• Props 1

• 2 weeks later...

Changed the fucked up stock crank pulley on my Cummins to a fluidampr. Easy'ish job but still a pita. 

Over the weekend changed my gf's blown up motor mounts to some nice aftermarket poly ones. The Lexus now feels like it could be a track car with the direct motor feel and the coil overs we put on it. I still think it needs a set of slightly larger cams in it though and we will address that in time. 

Took it back and forth to Waco on I-35 over the weekend after putting it back together and was able to average about 90mph the whole way there and back. 

Left lane is not passing lane in Texas anymore. It's retarded transplant that doesn't know how to drive or read lane. Right lane is the new fast lane. 

• Truth 1

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, nicklesndimes said:

pretty warm day, peaked at nearly 60°f here today which is crazy nice for where i am at. the bees were even stirring a bit, i opened up their hives and checked for food supply for the remaining 27 days of winter...they were doing better than i suspected, plenty of honey stores in there for them to chip away at until further notice. then fixed the tarp on the wood pile. even worked in a t-shirt for a while. then went for a walk. nice warm break from the snowfest this winter has been.

Send ya boy some honey when it's ready.

• 1 month later...

I saw a shark in the wild. Not much of an achievement but a serious highpoint for me!

I was staying in a place called Coobowie and our Airbnb had a kayak we could use so I put the kids on it and walked them out across the bay.  One of those flat bays where the water goes out for miles at low tide and comes back in at high tide.

We were a long way out  and water was halfway up my thighs. There were heaps of stingrays floating about  and that was cool but then I saw this commotion a bit to my right.

I could see it was shark because of the kink at top of tail.

we slowly walked over and it was doing big circles trying to catch some fish.

At this point I suddenly had a flash "what happens if it's not more scared of me than I am of it?"  and also "3ft of water can still hide a big fucking shark"

We stood still, it did a big circle and shot between me and kayak like a bullet. Was about 3ft long and pretty small.

Looking at the colouration I think it was a bronze whaler shark but I'm not sure.

I'm having having a really good summer for aquatic life. I've seen dolphins ,stingrays, seals, a shark, some big blobfish angry thing that swam at me after I trod on it by accident, blue swimmer crabs and sand crabs.

• Props 5

7 hours ago, gasfacevictm said:

Last year I got two teaching licenses (USA & UK).

A month ago I completed my master's. 

Officially done learning.

You can't say Gay no more.  Only 1 of your licenses are valid now. 

• LOL! 1

On 3/27/2022 at 5:54 PM, Schnitzel said:

I saw a shark in the wild. Not much of an achievement but a serious highpoint for me!

I was staying in a place called Coobowie and our Airbnb had a kayak we could use so I put the kids on it and walked them out across the bay.  One of those flat bays where the water goes out for miles at low tide and comes back in at high tide.

We were a long way out  and water was halfway up my thighs. There were heaps of stingrays floating about  and that was cool but then I saw this commotion a bit to my right.

I could see it was shark because of the kink at top of tail.

we slowly walked over and it was doing big circles trying to catch some fish.

At this point I suddenly had a flash "what happens if it's not more scared of me than I am of it?"  and also "3ft of water can still hide a big fucking shark"

We stood still, it did a big circle and shot between me and kayak like a bullet. Was about 3ft long and pretty small.

Looking at the colouration I think it was a bronze whaler shark but I'm not sure.

I'm having having a really good summer for aquatic life. I've seen dolphins ,stingrays, seals, a shark, some big blobfish angry thing that swam at me after I trod on it by accident, blue swimmer crabs and sand crabs.

This sighting surprises me considering you’re Australian lol. I blame the movies for the stereo type! 

• Like 1
  • Truth 1

19 minutes ago, nicklesndimes said:

looks like a community garden

I know it's gonna way surpass our needs. We are hoping to be able to feed a majority of the family with this. We have enough room back here to set up another 2 plots like this and still have enough space to eventually build out a chicken coup with a run for 10 birds. My back just needs a damn break. Lol. I think I moved about 10 yards of mulch and another 8 yards of compost over the course of 3 days.

• Like 1
  • Props 2