The general discussion thread within our general discussion.

2 hours ago, cancelculttourist said:

Nah screw the name brands I want one of those Milwaukee battery powered jackets for the winter weather 🌡️ 🥶

Ryobi makes a better one. Nice shade of green too.

• Like 1
  • LOL! 2

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I don't mind paying money for clothing that is going to hold up. It's almost all work clothes anyway. The hoodie was supposed to last 8 years or whatever. If I get 3 seasons out of it under the conditions I put my work clothes through, thats a win. I have a $70 Carhartt hoodie I'm beating down as we speak. It's in year two. I don't think the elastic is gonna make it to year 3.

I'm still rockin those $100 pair of bravestar selvedge denim. They have holes in the knees but I could care less about that.

4 hours ago, LUGR said:

I got a knife for Christmas that is supposed to be on that same level of “scam”. I saw YouTube vids about it being a supposed scam before I received the gift. Advertised as the best kitchen knife out of Japan with really neat packaging and brand story, but in reality it is a mass produced knife out of Pakistan or something. It’s the thought that counts on that present. I need to bust that out and give it a try.

For the record, I am a huge fan of Victorinox (Swiss Army brand) and Dexter Russell for all kitchen and filleting purposes.

I have been rocking CAT boots my last few cycles. Thought they would be pieces of shit, but they have actually held up well and are reasonably priced. I believe they are made by Wolverine (Wolverines I have had were good too). Of course they discontinued their most bad ass model….:idiots.

Lots of my coworkers rock CAT boots.  I've never tried them, have been wearing Redwings for like 15 years.  I may be ready to move on however.  My only beef with Redwings are they are very heavy, but the waterproof goretex boot is a great industrial work boot. 

• Like 1
  • Truth 1

Dem franchise Boyz era

I definitely rock some carhartt and north face but I ain't bout to buy some hermans or Gucci especially when the durability is less then that of the cheapest Walmart belt you can find.

I had a Gucci belt and it tore in like a year. Given I'm rough on clothing but I can get way longer then that out of some cheap Walmart jaunt.

• Like 1
  • Truth 1

I'm Redwing loyal, wouldn't fuck with anything not American (to include Canadian) made at this point. Maybe euro, though. (I think @Mercer rocks Asolos?) 

Been wearing Ariat pants for about 2 years now. They don't last forever, but they break in quick/easy and are cheap enough that ~8 months of wear and tear is a great value, imo. Plus I like cell phone pockets at the knee. 

• Like 2
  • Truth 1

2 hours ago, metronome said:

Lots of my coworkers rock CAT boots.  I've never tried them, have been wearing Redwings for like 15 years.  I may be ready to move on however.  My only beef with Redwings are they are very heavy, but the waterproof goretex boot is a great industrial work boot. 

I probably won’t stick with them since the discontinued their best looking boot IMO (seen below). I do like the Chelsea boots I’m currently using bc I can switch sandals to boot action quick. But the soles aren’t stitched on so probably won’t last very long.

I have been wearing the same 2 pairs of Walmart $24 Dickies for the past couple of years. I bought 3 pairs and one pair unraveled super quick, but these other 2 pair have been super durable. I’m definitely not scoring any patriot points for my commie wardrobe.

0396D5DC-2E55-4135-83D1-E82D10321FBF.png

• LOL! 1

15 minutes ago, Fist 666 said:

I'm Redwing loyal, wouldn't fuck with anything not American (to include Canadian) made at this point. Maybe euro, though. (I think @Mercer rocks Asolos?) 

Been wearing Ariat pants for about 2 years now. They don't last forever, but they break in quick/easy and are cheap enough that ~8 months of wear and tear is a great value, imo. Plus I like cell phone pockets at the knee. 

I fuck with Ariat boots, got some cowboys with the rubber "off road" boot soles so they don't sound all loud in my office. Mostly for the summer during the work day when I'm going between working in the office and visiting construction sites. Still haven't rode a horse with them. Probably going to get the "Chelsea" style cowboy boots from them for next summer just because I can't bring myself to wear proper dress shoes. 

Still rock the Redwings though occasionally at home, mostly when I'm chopping fire wood, or doing any heavy work in the garage where I might drop something on my feet and need protection, or I just don't want to fuck up my regular boots.

No more Asolos, I don't fuck with any other hiking/light shit and only rock the Han Wag boots now. Hand made in Germany, they're pricey but god damn are they the best boots ever made. Modern tech, but that old school hand crafted tradition from zie Germans. They're about twice as much as Asolos, but 4x better.

IMG_0003.thumb.jpeg.8c43648cfaa484c10f46855537fbceeb.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Props 3

2 hours ago, Mercer said:

I fuck with Ariat boots, got some cowboys with the rubber "off road" boot soles so they don't sound all loud in my office. Mostly for the summer during the work day when I'm going between working in the office and visiting construction sites. Still haven't rode a horse with them. Probably going to get the "Chelsea" style cowboy boots from them for next summer just because I can't bring myself to wear proper dress shoes. 

Still rock the Redwings though occasionally at home, mostly when I'm chopping fire wood, or doing any heavy work in the garage where I might drop something on my feet and need protection, or I just don't want to fuck up my regular boots.

No more Asolos, I don't fuck with any other hiking/light shit and only rock the Han Wag boots now. Hand made in Germany, they're pricey but god damn are they the best boots ever made. Modern tech, but that old school hand crafted tradition from zie Germans. They're about twice as much as Asolos, but 4x better.

IMG_0003.thumb.jpeg.8c43648cfaa484c10f46855537fbceeb.jpeg

I had some Ariat cowboy style work boots that were decent and have a pair of Twisted X now, but the sole tread on the Twisted X is pretty lame. I think they have fixed that on their current offerings though. I’m feeling too lazy for pulling on cowboy and lacing laces lately. Chelsea style look like regular boots when your pants legs are covering the ankles. Some times they creep up and the back pull tab shows, and you may get some funny looks. Fuk em tho.

7 minutes ago, NightmareOnElmStreet said:

Never in my life I’m dropping 5 bills on footwear. Until now maybe ?? Dammit Mercer. 

IMG_3919.png

I'd def find a way to try them on & size them locally. Zero break in like classic timbs, but they feel like a real boot & not sneakers. Everyone else has the white sole like that style, the Redwings like that are actually really dope. Only Han has the black sole availiable for that extra flex though.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, LUGR said:

I had some Ariat cowboy style work boots that were decent and have a pair of Twisted X now, but the sole tread on the Twisted X is pretty lame. I think they have fixed that on their current offerings though. I’m feeling too lazy for pulling on cowboy and lacing laces lately. Chelsea style look like regular boots when your pants legs are covering the ankles. Some times they creep up and the back pull tab shows, and you may get some funny looks. Fuk em tho.

To me, nothing is easier than slipping cowboy boots off & on. 

2 hours ago, DETO said:

MY GO-TO BOOTS…

image.jpg

How is the grip on these? The tread doesn’t seem very aggressive. The Thorogood moc toe wedges seem the same way. I feel like I would wear the tread out super quick.

2 hours ago, Mercer said:

To me, nothing is easier than slipping cowboy boots off & on. 

yeah sure….until you try some Chelsea boots

*edit.

I have had some times when I take mine off after wearing them all day and then have to put them back on and they end up being a pain in the ass. Maybe my feet swell or some shit? Last time I wore mine that happened and I could not get them back on and got really annoyed with them and gave up.

30 minutes ago, LUGR said:

Those are dope. Just don’t let that heel tab pop out of the bottom of your Wranglers, or else your fellow cowboys may look at you funny.

I 'll just hook my spurs into the back of my Jencos so they can't rise up.

• Like 1
  • Truth 1

1 hour ago, NightmareOnElmStreet said:

Never in my life I’m dropping 5 bills on footwear. Until now maybe ?? Dammit Mercer. 

IMG_3919.png

That's just what it costs these days unfortunately. 

I want to try these out for my next pair.  HAIX Airpower XR2.  $515 CAD ... we get a boot stipend though. 

image.thumb.png.b6425d237d922e944339735283a994c7.png

• Like 1