The general discussion thread within our general discussion.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
1 hour ago, SMdoubleXL said:

@mortonwell put  

We have done our basic photo/canvas type deals as gifts regarding our connection. And we love to smoke so a rig is probably an obvious gift But your train of thought triggered this.

say every time we go camping he talks of wanting a good axe/hatchet or whatever type of tool. 

So I’d openly take leads on one if one if you guys have a favorite. 
I’ll start there 

If he likes camping he might like one of these

https://www.pendleton-usa.com/search/?q=Knife&lang=default

72E98AAC-3962-4BCE-A50A-60EFED5CF3D9.png

FB173036-262B-44C8-893C-053CE23BE48E.png

@SMdoubleXLwhat I need to understand is how tf y’all ain’t exchanged a nan one ass gift in 5/6 years though.........camping/hiking shit for dudes OR chicks that are down is ALWAYs spot on. A solar trinket here, a waterproof trinket there (not that water resistant trash). Fuckin nice self inflatable sleeping pad or a zero bag for gnarly cold camping. Knives like @KILZ FILLZsaid. You just gotta poke into what you know dude likes and expand yo. 

• Like 1

All this talk about gift giving, maybe I should start shopping for people.

I am pretty poor when it comes to getting gifts, often delay past the point of no return. I generally make it up by inviting people out to things but that is not really an option at the moment.

9 hours ago, NightmareOnElmStreet said:

@SMdoubleXLwhat I need to understand is how tf y’all ain’t exchanged a nan one ass gift in 5/6 years though.........camping/hiking shit for dudes OR chicks that are down is ALWAYs spot on. A solar trinket here, a waterproof trinket there (not that water resistant trash). Fuckin nice self inflatable sleeping pad or a zero bag for gnarly cold camping. Knives like @KILZ FILLZsaid. You just gotta poke into what you know dude likes and expand yo. 

When we met I was focused on moving to Pittsburgh and getting my kid through college and we usually traveled instead of gifting. and then restarting life with school and evection and such. It really tied us up and we agreed it’s not necessary just to give a gift just because it’s that time of year. I like intentional gifts. 

33 minutes ago, SMdoubleXL said:

When we met I was focused on moving to Pittsburgh and getting my kid through college and we usually traveled instead of gifting. and then restarting life with school and evection and such. It really tied us up and we agreed it’s not necessary just to give a gift just because it’s that time of year. I like intentional gifts. 

Thats dope. My wife and I stopped doing Christmas and birthdays like 8 or 9 years ago. We both realized that the societal pressure of the gift giving ritual was fucking nonsense and went our own way. We laugh amongst ourselves when we hear people talk about how they are going to be paying their christmas credit card off for the whole year, just in time to rack it up again.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, mr.yuck said:

We laugh amongst ourselves when we hear people talk about how they are going to be paying their christmas credit card off for the whole year, just in time to rack it up again.

In debt we trust.   This is America at its finest for some.  Its a sad reality for most. 

I am with you guys on this one. 

• Truth 1

@ndv It really is crazy watching people getting whipped into a frenzy of buying other peoples acceptance.

Hah. I was talking with my man and his wife a few years ago and this topic came up about us not giving gifts to each other based on the calendar. His wife was looking at me not quite like a piece of shit, but close. She said I cant believe you dont celebrate each others birthdays. I told her a birthday doesnt have any special meaning when you celebrate each other every day. She looked at her husband and said I want you to celebrate me every day. He looked at me and said Fuck you. Lol. I gave him an out and I dont think he took it.

• LOL! 3

3 hours ago, ndv said:

In debt we trust.   This is America at its finest for some.  Its a sad reality for most. 

I am with you guys on this one. 

I have zero debt. 
not to say I didn’t have about 40k debt about 8-10 yrs ago 

but I dipped and dodged it and it fell off so technically I have zero debt. I’m a cash person. 

• Props 3

@mr.yuck I totally agree. Although, your comment rang a bell of how our credit (banking) system pretty much works in a nut shell.  People who are financially stable are the ones who are lending (flipping the bill) for those who are less fortunate (less fortunate as in being polite) and live off of cc.  So really in the end its the people who have the money sitting in savings the banks are lending out and if they default we all pay the price.   We are all in debt really.  

Or at least thats what I would like to think.  

But yeah, like @SMdoubleXL I do not have cc and never had one except that one time for a few months and figured out how they work and operate and immediately paid it off amd closed it out and never again.  

The down side is not having credit tho, and with out that financing anything is high interest rates at that point. 

• Like 1

Yeah. That’s the tricky part. I have no credit cards and nothing financed. but I have the most ying yang credit score. So when it does come time to purchase hopefully I would have balances this out a bit more. The one that is n/a just happened over the last few months after the last debtor fell off.  

3E4640E8-DCA0-409B-BDDF-0B9B7189FF7B.thumb.jpeg.2f9b4fe1dc6a8b3841dd7c50d3a20d54.jpeg

• Props 1

27 minutes ago, SMdoubleXL said:

Yeah. That’s the tricky part. I have no credit cards and nothing financed. but I have the most ying yang credit score. So when it does come time to purchase hopefully I would have balances this out a bit more. The one that is n/a just happened over the last few months after the last debtor fell off.  

3E4640E8-DCA0-409B-BDDF-0B9B7189FF7B.thumb.jpeg.2f9b4fe1dc6a8b3841dd7c50d3a20d54.jpeg

The score comparison is the driving factor as why I do not have a cc.  

Don't get me wrong, I get it but I don't.  Whats the deal with these credit score companies?  Where are they getting the info?  What info does each o e look at?   I mean, take yours for example, which 1 is blank, the other is 722.  

Its basically.like mine, 1 registered blank (no activity) the other was 640+  (can't remember the exact number) which i believe it was transition who gave me the 640+ and equivalent was the blank.  

The credit game i guess?

But yes, you're right, it does effect important purchases like housing or autos. 

My brother in law and sister pay cash for everything, as so when they where going to by a house the lender was dileberately giving them the run around making them chase ghosts because the lender wanted more proof of income.  Which I do understand. But when my brother in laws father said this is nonsense, amd told my brother in law to tell the lending we are just gonna pay cash, the lending company all of a sudden dropped all the red tape.  

This is an example of the credit game I do not play.   

But anyhow, I was told that I should at least have one credit card for small purchases with a few hundred dollar limit to not only help build credit but more so show that I am active.  

Still haven't gotten around to it.

I live on my credit cards

However I pay them off entirely at end of each month by automatic payment. 

I pay bills on them ( but actually pay those off instantly because they attract interest instantly).

I take advantage of the 30 days interest free period (though in the USA you might not have it)

Each year I generate enough frequent flyer points that I can generally take family on discounted airfare holiday

It's taken a long time to get myself into that position after a lot of years of fucking up on credit card payments. (2000 -2012)

it took me 2 years to unfuck myself in one case when I bought 8 grand of furniture etc for my house on the plastic then lost my job shortly afterwards.  that was 2008 -2010.

Edited by Schnitzel
clarity
  • Like 3
  • Truth 1

In 08 people were nutso with plastic, I was working on a restoration of a fancy mansion stone and chimney and our boss said we had to act like tough guys to get them to pay us cash, couple of us started taking the stones out of the driveway and my homie plugged in the grinder at 9pm, they came outside and called Donald our boss and we got paid the next day, I haven’t done construction since but honestly love that shit, seems like we are in a similar bubble now as back then, but if we could rebound huge from this bullshit

• Like 2
  • LOL! 1

@ndvThe individual companies report the info directly to the credit agencies. It costs them money to do this so some companies may only report to one agency, which is why there may he a discrepancy from agency to agency. I also learned that mortgage lenders and banks dont use the same credit platforms that we as consumers have access to. A few years ago I tried to open a small business line of credit. My banker let me know that I was showing a score of 805 (I feel like there is no way that was correct). I instantly got a raging Bezos sized boner. I got denied for the line of credit. It was the smallest line of credit my bank offered and no one could figure out why I wasnt approved. Fuck em anyway. 

• Like 2
  • Pause 1
  • Truth 2

20 hours ago, mr.yuck said:

@ndvThe individual companies report the info directly to the credit agencies. It costs them money to do this so some companies may only report to one agency, which is why there may he a discrepancy from agency to agency. I also learned that mortgage lenders and banks dont use the same credit platforms that we as consumers have access to. A few years ago I tried to open a small business line of credit. My banker let me know that I was showing a score of 805 (I feel like there is no way that was correct). I instantly got a raging Bezos sized boner. I got denied for the line of credit. It was the smallest line of credit my bank offered and no one could figure out why I wasnt approved. Fuck em anyway. 

See.  This is more reason why I find the entire credit system irrelevant.  Or at least for me. 

After writing  that post yesterday last night I had flashbacks of the period in 2008.

It was when the extent of howe fucked up I had gotten myself started becoming really apparent and how the debt was ballooning so quickly.

Fuck what a horrible period - phone calls everyday sometimes multiple times  in a day - I had three credit cards and all were either maxxed out or so close to maxxed out that even without spending money on them i was going backwards. Payments would be overdue so you'd make the minimum payment, then the next day another bill would come for card B, then two days later process repeats with card C and then Card A is due again in two weeks.

23 hours ago, Schnitzel said:

it took me 2 years to unfuck myself in one case when I bought 8 grand of furniture etc for my house on the plastic then lost my job shortly afterwards.  that was 2008 -2010.

• Props 1

31 minutes ago, ndv said:

@Schnitzel props on getting your debt undercontrol and the discipline it took to pay it off.   As for the furniture and job thing, it sounds like it was just unfortunate times and you still pulled through.  Can't hold that against you.

Yeah it was a wake up call. Fucking assholes hounded me so much.

But luckily I never quite had to resort to debt consolidation companies

Thanks for the kind words - it took me a lot longer than it should have. 

Damn, y’all doin some good discussing. 

2 things. 
I am a sucker for the holidays and gift giving/receiving. This year is a bit different as I got my old lady and like 10 other people down for a lavish b&b get away which cost me a shit load instead of a pair of slippers. As for you anti society grinch mf’s do y’all play that shit with the chirrens??? Or just adults? 

DEBT. CREDIT. I’m working on my shit and have been for a long time. It’s come a long way and there is plenty to go but I’m happy with where I’m at. I’ll be way happier with it all once I have “taxable income” on paper so I can get my multi family some day. MORTGAGE LENDERS ARE SUCH ASSHOLES. The wife and I been looking and we can’t even glance at my shit because I haven’t “paid taxes” yet. MOTHERFUCKERS can’t look at a niggas bank acct and see 10 months of deposits from checks made out to my business. More money than I’ve ever made in less than a year but it doesn’t count because the fagget ass government banks or whoever controls life says so. Shits so excruciatingly annoying. 

• Like 3
  • Truth 1

@NightmareOnElmStreetI love Christmas. I love the music. I love decorating. I love coming together as a family. It was just the adults that didnt get toys but I extended it to these fuck ass kids, too the other year. I stopped by their house and some one in the family had bought them all tablets. I was looking around and one of their screens was shattered, another was dragging theirs down the stairs by its charger, another lost theirs some how and 3 of them were fighting over the last survivor. I was like "what the fuck y'all?" They asked me "why do you care? It's not yours to worry about." I stepped back from these poignant little motherfuckers and realized they were right. I think I told one of them fuck you and called the rest of them little bastards. They've grown up a lot since then. Maybe I'll get them something this year.

Currently listening to youre a mean one mr grinch by tyler the creator.

Being self employed is always gonna be a little bit more difficult to get financing. I had to find a lender that did manual underwriting instead of letting some computer algorithm shit me into a trash can.

• Like 1
  • Truth 1
  • Props 2
  • LOL! 1

On my mother's side of the family in the past all adults bought all other adults and children gifts. It was a major pain in the all and a non trivial amount of cash, it wore everyone down until we were all swapping gift cards which is totally ridiculous. Here is a 50 gift card to Chevron, oh thank you for the 50 card to Trader Joes.

Gifts for kids can be retarded too, the age when adults get the biggest jolly out of getting kids stuff is when kids need stuff the least. My child had like three different groups of adults buying him shit in his younger years. We had so many toys that storage was an issue and there is no practical way for a kid to get anything out of that much stuff, it is really borderline grotesque. And then when they could actually use some shit, like to buy all that back to school bullshit or young adulthood stuff the pack of givers has dialed back.

On my fathers side if we get together the typical gift is a verbal argument or, on special years a fist fight.

I better buy some shit this year, I have been looking pretty shitty not sending stuff home and then getting hundreds of dollars in gift cards in the mail.

• Like 3