WEEKLY TOP 5 *Most Disappointing Albums You Waited For* 5/3/2020

Fist 666

So, this is more of a bottom five... At some point I'll do a "top 5 most embarrassing albums you'll admit to buying," but this week is about albums you waited for, either from media hype, previous albums that were great, or whatever...

A few of these are affected by time, growing up, all that shit

5. SLAYER--Diabolus in Musica. What a piece of shit this was, they brought it back around with God Hates Us All as @abrasivesaintdiscovered, but man, what a change of pace from everything that came before. I know some people who've grown to love it, but not me...

4. Weezer--The Green Album. Weezer Blue and PInkerton are, imo, two of the best 90s alt rock albums, period. There was a six year wait for green to happen with a ton of side projects, fake bands (goat punishment), and other shenanigans that helped build the hype for this one. It was also the sort of early days of forum use and digital  b-side trading which I think lent to the anticipation that this album was going to be something special. Eventually Rivers more or less said, "fuck the old fans, we are something new" and the piece of pop crap that the green album was has set the tone for every easily digested LP they've put out since.

3. Earth Crisis--SLITHER. Earth Crisis was my introduction to hardcore and to straight edge. Destroy the Machines, Gomorrah's Season Ends, Breed the Killers, the All Out War and Firestorm EP are all so fucking solid, whether or not you give a shit about straight edge. Karl Buechner is a douche, and the lyrics and mindset of that sort of sxe is a totally different conversation, the albums were fucking good. SLITHER came out of nowhere as this nu-metal piece of shit that was an attempt at radio success or something. It was awful. Huge let down. 

2. RANCID--Indestructible. My first tattoo was a rancid tattoo. They could do whatever they wanted and still be some of the punkest dudes out there. They went heavy into ska with Life Won't Wait, had pop radio hits on ...And Out Come the Wolves, got close to hardcore with 2000, and then put out this piece of shit. They've brought it back with a couple songs since, but the magic was lost and I haven't bought one of their albums since 2000 came out in high school.

1. AFI--Sing the Sorrow. Fuck. This one still hurts me. The Art of Drowning hinted at the direction this would come from, but still I couldn't imagine how far up his own ass Davey Havoc could get. How they went from Black Sails in the Sunset to this overproduced piece of gothpopshit in only four years is mindblowing. 

So, what albums were you waiting for that were massive let downs?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.