Pass the Corona ese... Novel Corona aka COVID-19

abrasivesaint

6 minutes ago, Kults said:

Not a gotcha just genuinely curious as Ive heard the same but havent seen a source to back that up. Post one up if you find one. I think maybe something might be getting lost in context there. Were these people who suffered permanent damage already suffering from respiratory illnesses?

My lunch break is over but Google it...

You can even skip the CNN and WAPO articles if you think they're biased. 

• Like 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
2 hours ago, CALIgula said:

How is saying to stay the fuck home because anybody can catch this fear mongering? 

Not that part, i was mostly referring to the other aspects about the virus killing anybody. Which is an accurate statement, it has potential to kill whoever, but it seems to still be targeting specifics groups on the grand scale. it just seemed a bit sensational. If i’m wrong i apologize for the assumption. 

• Like 1
  • Truth 1

I’m really reading the last few pages and I know I’m not as current as I should be on some topics nor intelligent enough to even question what most of you guys are saying 

maybe I’m just thinking out loud 
and if it’s an ignorant statement or question, just disregard this whole thing 

I sincerely take all the words most of you say into consideration and I have a bizarre trust that this is the most educated place I get my info from (because you all pull some good sources; enough for me to form a middle thought) 

I really have no one to talk to about this mess. 

but, really, what are we waiting for? Say we all stay inside. And do what we are supposed to be doing as suggested, but the virus is still there, no?  It’s not gonna go away in its own, right? say we flatten the curve and get on the other side of it by staying indoors. Then what? Surely we all can’t just resume to our regular lives because the virus is still there. I know there is talk of tests to see if individuals have antibodies but really is that what were Waitin for? Are we waiting for everything to get sanitized and cleaned? I have stopped watching the news altogether because it was making me fearful over stuff I have no control over.

• Truth 1
  • Props 1

@SMdoubleXL- they're hoping to have a vaccine soonish and as your weather warms up the virus theoretically finds it harder to transmit, etc. Also, once you've located the outbreaks you can quarantine those areas off (for example, not all of Wuhan has opened up, areas where a lot of infected people live are still locked down) and thus you isolate the risk and allow others back out with some restrictions in place (such as no gatherings of more than 100 people, etc) and heavy testing regimes. We still expect the virus to exist in society but it won't overwhelm us and the vaccine will arrive some time in the next one to two years.

@Kults- there are a lot of countries that are moving to reduce the severity of lockdowns, such as Australia, New Zealand, Austria, Switzerland, etc. etc. It is happening and there are qualified people that agreed with severe measures because it was a novel virus and no data existed. But now they say they have enough data to be able to do what you're suggesting in that maybe we can modulate our response to ease restrictions in areas with less risk and increase the response in the most vulnerable areas (which mean age, race, geography, weather, etc). Most of this is at discussion stage but some countries are already moving - however, these are countries that had strong initial responses like NZ and Australia and didn't fuck it up like the UK, IRan, US, etc. Those countries still have huge and numerous outbreaks across the whole country that they need to get a better hold on before they can begin relaxing things.

Regards the lasting effects, the science still isn't in yet but they are beginning to find carona cells not only the respiratory tract but also liver, heart, etc. I'll try and post links if I come across them again. Point is, though, that there is still a lot about this virus that remains unknown so we must still approach it as high-risk.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SMdoubleXL said:

but, really, what are we waiting for? Say we all stay inside. And do what we are supposed to be doing as suggested, but the virus is still there, no?  It’s not gonna go away in its own, right? say we flatten the curve and get on the other side of it by staying indoors. Then what? Surely we all can’t just resume to our regular lives because the virus is still there. I know there is talk of tests to see if individuals have antibodies but really is that what were Waitin for? Are we waiting for everything to get sanitized and cleaned? 

Viruses need a host (which humans are) in order to replicate their genetic material by taking over our cells. 

On surfaces, the virus will eventually "die" (although its more about protein denaturing)... so no the virus doesn't just hang around...... it's actually pretty fragile on surfaces according to researchers. 

The idea is to flatten the curve for risk mitigation...but in reality if we stay home and don't become hosts and those infected that stay home and either recover or pass away ... and add vaccines to prevent future outbreaks..we can beat this

• Props 1

The stuff that was edited is about Gates saying hopefully less than 1% of the population gets covid and recovers because then not enough antibodies will transmit naturally and eventually everyone will need a virtual immunity certificate to work.

Did any of y’all apply for that government loan for small business or the self employed that you essentially don’t need to pay back...?

I initially heard of this shit on “the survival podcast” raven plugged not long ago. The link is no longer valid or i would shared, but it was on a first come first serve basis and I think it’s maxed out now. Definitely applied. Highly doubt it will work out for me but holy hell it would be nice. The payback period isn’t really a period at all and will probably be forgiven? I listened to the same podcast again and heard another dude talking about but its so hazy. 

• Props 1

13 hours ago, SMdoubleXL said:

I’m really reading the last few pages and I know I’m not as current as I should be on some topics nor intelligent enough to even question what most of you guys are saying 

maybe I’m just thinking out loud 
and if it’s an ignorant statement or question, just disregard this whole thing 

I sincerely take all the words most of you say into consideration and I have a bizarre trust that this is the most educated place I get my info from (because you all pull some good sources; enough for me to form a middle thought) 

I really have no one to talk to about this mess. 

but, really, what are we waiting for? Say we all stay inside. And do what we are supposed to be doing as suggested, but the virus is still there, no?  It’s not gonna go away in its own, right? say we flatten the curve and get on the other side of it by staying indoors. Then what? Surely we all can’t just resume to our regular lives because the virus is still there. I know there is talk of tests to see if individuals have antibodies but really is that what were Waitin for? Are we waiting for everything to get sanitized and cleaned? I have stopped watching the news altogether because it was making me fearful over stuff I have no control over.

We’re all thinking out loud, haha. It’s what places like this are for. I think a lot of us may have a hard time discussing topics like this with people in our everyday lives because having questions is unacceptable. Conform or be damned. The problem is some of us can’t conform to one side or the other, leaving us damned. Somewhere along the way it feels like people forgot how to compromise. It feels like everything has to be either this way or that way. Rarely meeting somewhere in the middle.

I would say most people contributing here have valid points, whether you lean one way or the other on the matter. I do my best to never mislead or put out bad information on here, as i know most people do. Yet we all have our biases to some degree wether we acknowledge them or not.

What i’ve found to be the most funny part about this thread is someone like @Kults and i seem to agree on many aspects of this situation. If you’ve ever scrolled through the News section you would find that is often not the case. 

Edited by abrasivesaint
  • Like 1
  • Truth 1
  • Props 1

13 hours ago, CALIgula said:

Viruses need a host (which humans are) in order to replicate their genetic material by taking over our cells. 

On surfaces, the virus will eventually "die" (although its more about protein denaturing)... so no the virus doesn't just hang around...... it's actually pretty fragile on surfaces according to researchers. 

The idea is to flatten the curve for risk mitigation...but in reality if we stay home and don't become hosts and those infected that stay home and either recover or pass away ... and add vaccines to prevent future outbreaks..we can beat this

I just dont think it’s that simple. This isn’t an American problem, it is worldwide, as we obviously all know. It would need to be a globally concerted effort and that just does not seem like it is ever going to happen.

We can hide inside for months, but smuggling and trafficking didn’t just all the sudden stop because this virus popped up. How can we guarantee no one will carry it across a border? How long is this vaccine truly going to take? How long are we not going to allow anything or anyone outside of America to enter? What if this thing mutates? There’s so many unknowns and so many questions. 

Edit: i was incorrect with information in the paragraph in parenthesis, see further down..  (Viruses may not just “hang around,” but they also don’t just go away. The WHO reports a few thousand cases of the Bubonic Plague every year. That fucker has been around since the 1300s.) 

I dont think the quarantine and social distance efforts are the saving grace and final solution some people seem to think it is. I think it’s the lack of a solution. It’s a buying of time, an answer for the time being. It’s not a sustainable solution. It’s a preventative measure to attempt to contain things like more chaos at the hospitals than we’ve already seen. We need a better long term plan and i think that’s why the talk of “slowly” starting things back up is beginning to take place. 

Edited by abrasivesaint
  • Like 1
  • Props 2

Anybody else find it at least slightly amusing that Mr. "CLOSE THE BORDERS, KEEP THE MEXICANS OUT, PABLO AND PEDRO ARE BRINGING DRUGS HERE, WE CAN'T LET EVERYONE COME INTO THIS COUNTRY, NO MORE MUSLIMS ALLOWED BECAUSE WE DON'T KNOW IF THEY'RE GONNA BLOW SHIT UP" took way too long to shut the shit down? I know it's easy to play Monday morning quarterback, but really, when this shit started popping off in China in early January, we should have immediately blocked commercial flights from China and Chinese nationals from coming into the country, and when it started spreading into other countries, they should have closed non-essential flights (minus trade, basically) to everywhere else.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, abrasivesaint said:

Viruses may not just “hang around,” but they also don’t just go away. The WHO reports a few thousand cases of the Bubonic Plague every year. That fucker has been around since the 1300s. 

Just because I'm procrastinating from doing work and feeling pedantic, but is this actually correct?

Bubonic plague is caused by bacteria, not a virus. As far as I'm aware (which really isn't that far) both are pathogens but one is a single cell micro-organism and the other whereas a virus is a parasite, bacteria create infections and virus create disease and both are treated differently.

The 2003 version of SARS is gone, it was 'killed off' by quarantining all those infected until they recovered or died. So maybe that's not 'just going away' but they can be eradicated and they do hang around. H1N1 still exists after 100+ years as there hasn't been a concerted global effort to eradicate it.

12 minutes ago, Kalashnikov said:

Anybody else find it at least slightly amusing that Mr. "CLOSE THE BORDERS, KEEP THE MEXICANS OUT, PABLO AND PEDRO ARE BRINGING DRUGS HERE, WE CAN'T LET EVERYONE COME INTO THIS COUNTRY, NO MORE MUSLIMS ALLOWED BECAUSE WE DON'T KNOW IF THEY'RE GONNA BLOW SHIT UP" took way too long to shut the shit down? I know it's easy to play Monday morning quarterback, but really, when this shit started popping off in China in early January, we should have immediately blocked commercial flights from China and Chinese nationals from coming into the country, and when it started spreading into other countries, they should have closed non-essential flights (minus trade, basically) to everywhere else.

He's on record calling it a hoax, saying there was nothing to worry about, that it would all magically disappear, etc. Yeah, he fucked it up pretty badly and that's why he's now trying to deflect attention onto the world health organisation (not to say that they don't deserve a kick up the arse, but they aren't responsible for the US President fucking up America's national response, many other countries responded appropriately and don't have infection and death rates anything like the US has).

It wasn't just him though, the Mullah's in Iran responded very badly, as did the UK govt. Indonesia is in a whole world of hurt but they have different pressures regarding their response than the US does. Trump disbanded and defunded large areas of the govt set up to deal with pandemics leaving the US less prepared to manage an outbreak and then (allegedly) took bad advice from Kushner who didn't want him to spook the markets in an election year. Thus, it wasn't taken seriously enough until it was a too late to avoid significant impact. It could have been much less severe if earlier action had been taken.

• Truth 1

1 hour ago, Hua Guofang said:

Just because I'm procrastinating from doing work and feeling pedantic, but is this actually correct?

I was actually mistaken. I was basing it off memory until you made me question it, haha.

Between 2010-2015 the WHO recorded almost 4,000 cases. According to the CDC there’s anywhere between 1-17 cases a year in the US. 

1 hour ago, Hua Guofang said:

Bubonic plague is caused by bacteria, not a virus

You are also correct about this. Probably should have double checked before i went off memory again, ha.