Pass the Corona ese... Novel Corona aka COVID-19

abrasivesaint

7 minutes ago, glorydays said:

@misteraveni believe COVID is in a family all its own...the entire corona virus family is not in line with the regular flu that comes out every year

the shape and RNA of the corona family is, i've seen from videos, a different strain all together

Could well be, I'm definitely not qualified to speak to the biology of this thing. But adding the numbers up is grammar school math. Even if these are entirely different, death toll is still death tool. Even when compare it to anything else that takes lives from car accidents to obesity, so far we haven't seen this thing stack bodies anywhere near in the ballpark of what generally kills humans each year.

And yeat again, I'll say this... Take it seriously, wash your hands, avoid people and do what you can to avoid getting other people sick, especially old people. But at the same time, dont just succumb to the panic and hysteria that seems to be gripping so many people. Use your brain, look at the data and draw a conclusion based upon actual evidence and not the sensationalist headlines being repeated every few minutes.

Has anyone actually seen any significant news beyond the latest dumb shit Trump or whoever has said or the fact that they can't test and have run out of masks after the whole world panic bought the global supply? Probably a reason the news keeps repeating the same speculative reports over and over and over... There's very little new actual news to report.

Just my opinion. Feel free to make up your own mind, but try and use your head when you do.

• Like 1
  • Truth 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
1 minute ago, misteraven said:

Could well be, I'm definitely not qualified to speak to the biology of this thing. But adding the numbers up is grammar school math. Even if these are entirely different, death toll is still death tool. Even when compare it to anything else that takes lives from car accidents to obesity, so far we haven't seen this thing stack bodies anywhere near in the ballpark of what generally kills humans each year.

And yeat again, I'll say this... Take it seriously, wash your hands, avoid people and do what you can to avoid getting other people sick, especially old people. But at the same time, dont just succumb to the panic and hysteria that seems to be gripping so many people. Use your brain, look at the data and draw a conclusion based upon actual evidence and not the sensationalist headlines being repeated every few minutes.

Has anyone actually seen any significant news beyond the latest dumb shit Trump or whoever has said or the fact that they can't test and have run out of masks after the whole world panic bought the global supply? Probably a reason the news keeps repeating the same speculative reports over and over and over... There's very little new actual news to report.

Just my opinion. Feel free to make up your own mind, but try and use your head when you do.

Its the capitalist directive...create a scare that plunges the stock market, buy up, then come out with a solution that makes the markets bear again.

and i agree...fucking Italy just lost 800 people TODAY...goddamn, son

i think all of this panic is so that wall street can make a decent buck for the short term

for example, senator richard burr offloaded ALL of his stock a week before the pandemic announcement...that weaselly motherfucker made a pretty coin off the flu 

• Like 1

As I understand it, its a SARS family virus. And as I understand it SARS viruses have a reproduction rate that is 2.5-6ish?

For the current strain the experts are estimating around 3 in reproduction rate.

The influenza seems to be between 1.2 and 2.4 in reproduction rate.

So the spread is massive, compared.

Its also completely new in a human population so we dont really know any details yet.

But there seems to be quite high numbers needing medical help to get through it, and then the numbers really matter.

Too many sick at the same time and death numbers going wild.

Lets hope that does not happen anywhere, but lets be as careful as possible til we actually know what this virus is.

And as far as I understand, testing is the only way to get new data.

• Props 1

51 minutes ago, spiro said:

As I understand it, its a SARS family virus. And as I understand it SARS viruses have a reproduction rate that is 2.5-6ish?

For the current strain the experts are estimating around 3 in reproduction rate.

The influenza seems to be between 1.2 and 2.4 in reproduction rate.

So the spread is massive, compared.

Its also completely new in a human population so we dont really know any details yet.

But there seems to be quite high numbers needing medical help to get through it, and then the numbers really matter.

Too many sick at the same time and death numbers going wild.

Lets hope that does not happen anywhere, but lets be as careful as possible til we actually know what this virus is.

And as far as I understand, testing is the only way to get new data.

Go have a look at the treatment for SARS in comparison. 

Viruses are a construct of nature and most things in nature that succeed within natural selection do so by finding ways to propagate / reproduce. Occasionally you see some truly nasty shit like Ebola and SARS, but those sort of deadend themselves pretty quickly because they kill the host, which in turn kills the virus. This is why most of the time you see either massive transmission rate or massive death rate, but very rarely a combination of the two as they work counter to each other. But so far, the mortality rate on this is fairly low if you actually look at the numbers.

I think testing is largely irrelevant as said before. Most people need to just stay home and avoid getting sick or work through the process of being sick so that we can free up the medical system to treat people that are critically effected by this. Knowing who's positive only matters if we're expecting that individual to interact with a lot of other humans. Since most of us are locked down, knowing whether we're infected or not makes little difference when there is no vaccine or cure or even a treatment beyond whats given to those suffering from life threatening pulmonary complication.

• Truth 1

10 minutes ago, glorydays said:

theres only 2 ways out

its either a miracle treatment comes out soon

or we all get it 

Maybe. It could possibly burn out and most of these things tend to mellow out in summer. Cure is 18 months out best case scenario, which would be warp speed for the trials and government approval necessary to bring a new drug to market.

Also, I doubt this was some sort of conspiracy for the financial elite to cash in. Though they tend to always come out on top, a great many companies and deep pocket individuals are losing massive money right now.

• Truth 2

1 minute ago, misteraven said:

Maybe. It could possibly burn out and most of these things tend to mellow out in summer. Cure is 18 months out best case scenario, which would be warp speed for the trials and government approval necessary to bring a new drug to market.

Also, I doubt this was some sort of conspiracy for the financial elite to cash in. Though they tend to always come out on top, a great many companies and deep pocket individuals are losing massive money right now.

I just don't trust the fact that NOTHING financially happens in the background while we all for necessities

25 minutes ago, misteraven said:

Go have a look at the treatment for SARS in comparison.

The treatment is intensive care for atypical pneumonia.

And Coronavirus is the group of viruses that MERS-CoV , SARS-CoV and 2019-nCoV is a part of.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/types.html

The current Covid virus might be just that combo of high spread and problematic enough to help people get through,

that suddenly there is more sick people that need help than there are hospital beds that can do whats needed.

And until we know more, what else than trying to let as few as possible get sick at the same time, can we do?

And getting good data on how it has spred up til now must help?

Or are you worried that testing is a wasted effort?

Edited by spiro
  • Like 1
  • Props 1

Just now, spiro said:

And until we know more, what else than trying to let as few as possible get sick at the same time.

And getting good data on how it has spred up til now must help?

Or are you worried that testing is a wasted effort?

Best we can do is follow other countries that are a few weeks / months ahead in the cycle. Last I checked, Italy's death toll was down by double digit percentages, despite their infection rate climbing. Infection rates will naturally climb as more people get tested. Doesn't mean more people are infected, only that we know an individual is officially infected.

That said, I believe we first saw this virus appear 7 months ago. China was already in crisis mode during mid / late December. Italy followed suit about a month later. Though their are lots of details that prevent a truly accurate comparison (go back a few pages and read what I'd written about cultural differences in Italy), we can fairly presume that those countries are much further down the timeline of this virus and begin to examine what worked, what didn't, but especially the death toll resulting regardless of all actions taken. Personally I'd be skeptical of Chinas reporting, but Italy should be fairly accurate. So roughly two months into this, we have a pretty good data set that can allow us to extrapolate the general trend of this virus. Might not be entirely conclusive as things can change, but what we can see so far is that they appear to be on the downward slope of this as indicated by the slow down in death rate daily. Its still exponential, but in terms of percentage, the trend is slowing down. We can also average numbers based upon all this to predict what the final numbers might look like. As a whole, based on what we already see, yeah a lot of people will die in a fairly short period of time. But likewise, in comparison to what normally kills Italians each year, its also probably that this will not rank in the top 5 with the number one thing (heart disease) being far and away the biggest killer. They might wan tto evaluate a few things in that regard as well, but point is that this is not apocalypse. The numbers, when looked at in content, are actually fairly low if we're analyzing death count.

Not my call, but it is my opinion that the economic consequence will be far more difficult to overcome than the medical aspect of this. Shame because it could have been managed must differently so that we minimize the toll from that consequence rather than playing into what appears to be hysteria about the medical side of it.

This is just my opinion. I encourage you to look up the data and analyze it yourself so you can form your opinion. What you should not do however is stay glues to the media reporting and buy into the panic they're stirring up.

1 hour ago, misteraven said:

Zero panic here.  Anymore or ever.....  more resignation than anything--damed if you do,  what if ya don't? I understand your math (though a tad Vulcan 😉. The world has stopped for this fuckin' virus (except Russia?).  The damage is done. The longer we quarantine, the longer we have to extrapolate some meaning. 

I'm not looking for the power grab any more, but the paradigm shift(s). There are lessons to be learned about family and authentic communication, what is truly important vs wild consumption, and, I believe, the environment.  One can only hope anyway. Because nothing will be the same, nothing is going back to what it was.  Maybe that is really the power grab.....

• Like 1

There was a cruise ship here that docked in sydney with 57 people feeling ill and 13 with high temperature.

2700 people in all and somehow they allowed them off the boat without adequate check.

now there's 57 confirmed cases and one death in the passengers, plus another 21 at least around the country due to people coming off the boat and getting on domestic flights.

two of those are in darwin where they are really trying to keep the covid from the indigenous people because they have such low resistance to flu.

stupid stupid stupid

image.png.b34509e13aa8ddde82761dc10fe4ba33.png

it's not the apocalypse but I thought this was funny.

• Like 2
  • LOL! 7

15 minutes ago, 6Pennies said:

Zero panic here.  Anymore or ever.....  more resignation than anything--damed if you do,  what if ya don't? I understand your math (though a tad Vulcan 😉. The world has stopped for this fuckin' virus (except Russia?).  The damage is done. The longer we quarantine, the longer we have to extrapolate some meaning. 

I'm not looking for the power grab any more, but the paradigm shift(s). There are lessons to be learned about family and authentic communication, what is truly important vs wild consumption, and, I believe, the environment.  One can only hope anyway. Because nothing will be the same, nothing is going back to what it was.  Maybe that is really the power grab.....

Makes sense man. I didnt start as level headed and bought into some early panic myself. But at a certain point you do need to stop and assess when everyone is shouting fore and stampeding for the exits and there's hardly even any smoke.

About the only thing I'm certain of is the power grab. That's a no brainer, easy bet to make. I don't have any evidence of it other than look at pretty much every other major crisis and what came out of it so yeah... Watch.

28 minutes ago, auf said:

Was laid off.Already driving me insane, feeling restless, started drinking much more. My mind is filling the void. It just goes to show how much of a useless cuck I am with out a gym.

Today I scrubbed all the door handles,tables,counters,light switches,gutted the fridge in my house, things got pretty intense with the scrubby. Told my tenant to take precautions and had to enforce serious measures too keep the house safe.

At the same time I can't help but think I might be over doing it.. Obviously washing hands is a good idea, I would hope most people here do that after they take a shit anyway, it's just common sense,but is it really that bad? Has anyone seen a de-escalation in this pandemic among any states? I hate to jump on this crazy train, but trying to avoid media to be honest, makes everything seem like bio-warfare is happening.

Yeah dude, slow the pace down. Only been like a week. 

just remember that its harder to come up when everyone else is on solid ground. Its times where the boat gets rocked and a few people fall off that the dudes that know how to brace get to move up a few seats closer to the front.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, NightmareOnElmStreet said:

I have zero scientific evidence to back it up but i feel like that mans is onto something with that...

Whilst suckaz bought up all the toilet paper last month, I bought all the Vitamin C I could: powders, gummies, fizzy tablets, ..... suppositories 🤣