Pass the Corona ese... Novel Corona aka COVID-19

abrasivesaint

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
22 minutes ago, Schnitzel said:

^^Trippy to think you live in a city generally accepted to be at least as BORING as mine.

Even less pubs in CBR than ADL

take your kid out for a walk.

from memory of canberra there's a shit ton of open space to be socially distant but not socially isolated out there.

Central segment of the lake would excellent for this but possibly not that visually exciting.

I don't want anything currently my life really hasn't been too affected. I could go out just nowhere for me  to go

Barring an afternoon at the pub with mates.

Yeah, she goes for walks every day, but after two months, she's seeing the same places over and over again. We go to the lake each weekend, grab a coffee and take a walk. Half of CBR is there and it's become the place for girls to show off their gym bodies, which I fully endorse, of course. Up until last weekend, we had to walk past all the playgrounds, dogs, kids and the usual shit she'd be having fun with. She just sits in the pram and is forced to be passive, which she fucking hates, she's a very energetic and inquisitive little thang. I also used to take her to the park and use her as gym equipment, which she loved.

Taking her to the mall last weekend for the first time since she was 5 months old was a brain explosion for her. Was awesome to watch. We can start pairing her up with kids in other families, so she'll start getting that social interaction she needs. Could be worse, she could have been 6 years old and much needier.

2 minutes ago, Hua Guofang said:

Yeah, she goes for walks every day, but after two months, she's seeing the same places over and over again. We go to the lake each weekend, grab a coffee and take a walk. Half of CBR is there and it's become the place for girls to show off their gym bodies, which I fully endorse, of course. Up until last weekend, we had to walk past all the playgrounds, dogs, kids and the usual shit she'd be having fun with. She just sits in the pram and is forced to be passive, which she fucking hates, she's a very energetic and inquisitive little thang. I also used to take her to the park and use her as gym equipment, which she loved.

Taking her to the mall last weekend for the first time since she was 5 months old was a brain explosion for her. Was awesome to watch. We can start pairing her up with kids in other families, so she'll start getting that social interaction she needs. Could be worse, she could have been 6 years old and much needier.

my 6 year old son was pretty good but by the end the lack of playgrounds made it less fun.

my three year old was worse to deal with -just couldn't understand.

2 minutes ago, Schnitzel said:

when he was at school he was okay

but after a while he got a bit down.

I can imagine, poor little dude.

There's going to be a slew of studies in a few years that discuss the psychological impacts on different ages and personalities from social distancing and lockdown.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Fist 666 said:

Burger and a beer and piping hot fries. 

I'd kill any of you for that right now. 

I've been getting as many cheese burgers as I want through this. 

My team started doing virtual happy hours.  I thought it'd be silly at first but yesterday was my second one.  My boss is out on his 10 acre land w/ his RV.  He set up a camp fire while we all "hung out" together.  I'm pretty sure we're going to be allowed to work from home from now on no matter what happens.... and this means that, because of Covid, my dream of finally being able to go live outside of the city may be realized.

I think because of the 2nd great depression, as predicted, coming that people are going to sell everything cheap..... including land..... hopefully.

• Like 1
  • Props 2

2 hours ago, Dirty_habiT said:

I've been getting as many cheese burgers as I want through this. 

My team started doing virtual happy hours.  I thought it'd be silly at first but yesterday was my second one.  My boss is out on his 10 acre land w/ his RV.  He set up a camp fire while we all "hung out" together.  I'm pretty sure we're going to be allowed to work from home from now on no matter what happens.... and this means that, because of Covid, my dream of finally being able to go live outside of the city may be realized.

I think because of the 2nd great depression, as predicted, coming that people are going to sell everything cheap..... including land..... hopefully.

damn that’s the coolest one i’ve heard of yet. they make us do virtual potlucks but it’s nothing like that 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CALIgula said:

What the fuck are you talking about? 

I could be like these idiots i see on YouTube and tv, disregard shit and go out... but im making the sacrifice and NOT going out. 

Again, what the fuck are you talking about? 

he’s calling you out for virtue signaling 

I think one day when I have kids I'm going to teach them to figure out how to acquire land as soon as they can in life. Because, in doing so, you will grow tremendously as a person.  It's going to take a lot of sacrifice on my part to do what I want to do but in the end it will be worth it.

@Mercer- what are your requirements in your head for the land you want?  This may sound crazy but to get a really quick livable structure I was thinking we may build a container house because it's cheap and stackable.  I've been watching a lot of people build container houses on youtube and there are some really cool ideas out there.  Check out this guy's shop/hangout/living area he built.  I don't know enough about him to know how he has access to the materials and equipment he does, but he's a hell of a worker because he does nearly everything you see by himself.

Ultimate living off the grid hideout?

• Props 2

Honestly, just a south facing slope in the mountains, and off grid. If it was 100% up to me I'd buy some off grid property, and install a support/utilities system on it for a 5th wheel RV I can park on it. Thinking some solar panels, backed up by batteries, backed up by propane or diesel generator in a shed along with a well/pump and water filtering system. Maybe just a secure/hidden shed to house the equipment, and a little storage and I'm good. I'd just work on building an A frame myself at that point, or scoop more property someplace else and install the same system.

I'm married though, and honestly I've been getting (taking) everything I wanted my entire life. Somehow it just feels better providing that for her now, and I can't talk my wife into it. The moment I mention trailer she's not happy, and it just so happens my main requirement is she's happy with it. So with that said, I'm basically happy as long as she's happy. Kind of sucks because she has a refined (expensive) taste in just about everything. I'm just going to make sure I'm able to garden most of my own food and that's about it.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 3
  • Truth 1

8 hours ago, Kults said:

he’s calling you out for virtue signaling 

Oh give me a break!

Is "virtue signaling" the new "social justice warrior-ing?"

I'm making the point that if i can sacrifice, then all these people bitching can too.

I understand that the economy is fucked up but Jesus fucking Christ, have a little patience... i wouldn't expect anything less from our "need it right now" drive thru culture.

If anything people need to spend their energy asking the good ol boys (grand ol party.... same shit) to approve more stimulus help to keep people afloat... at least some democrats are already pushing for this. 

55 minutes ago, CALIgula said:

Oh give me a break!

Is "virtue signaling" the new "social justice warrior-ing?"

I'm making the point that if i can sacrifice, then all these people bitching can too.

I understand that the economy is fucked up but Jesus fucking Christ, have a little patience... i wouldn't expect anything less from our "need it right now" drive thru culture.

If anything people need to spend their energy asking the good ol boys (grand ol party.... same shit) to approve more stimulus help to keep people afloat... at least some democrats are already pushing for this. 

They’re doing it your way up here in Canada. Our taxes are about to spike for the next 20 years to pay for this. They’re sending anyone and everyone 2k a month. Only worked min wage for 8 hours a week before the rona? No problem, here’s 2k/month . 

Where’s the motivation to go back to work? 

• Truth 1

1 hour ago, pissdrunkwhat?! said:

It's all good our taxes are gonna spike for 20 years from the trillions we gave businesses.

So the economy doesn’t collapse and people can keep working. people staying home bingeing netflix all day does nothing for the economy. i’d rather keep my job than depend on emergency welfare. 

im not saying people shouldn’t get anything. i’m all for a societal safety net. in canada at least, it’s being abused and used to buy future votes. 

2 hours ago, Kults said:

They’re doing it your way up here in Canada. Our taxes are about to spike for the next 20 years to pay for this. They’re sending anyone and everyone 2k a month. Only worked min wage for 8 hours a week before the rona? No problem, here’s 2k/month . 

Where’s the motivation to go back to work? 

What's the motivation to NOT go back to work? 

Oh, that's right...a PANDEMIC. 

I wouldn't mind people doing what they want normally (hell, i painted shit that didn't belong to me for years), but when doing what you want could affect my health (or more importantly,  people i love) then as i said before, we got problems. 

You can't imagine how much I'd love to beat the shit out of those fucking protestors at the Capitol. But even going out there for even a verbal confrontation during this pandemic is risky. 

3 hours ago, Kults said:

So the economy doesn’t collapse and people can keep working. people staying home bingeing netflix all day does nothing for the economy. i’d rather keep my job than depend on emergency welfare. 

im not saying people shouldn’t get anything. i’m all for a societal safety net. in canada at least, it’s being abused and used to buy future votes. 

I'd just like some bipartisan oversight, thatd be nice. And yes businesses that need to be open should be propped up and people should be too. Some people are making money and some people are bitching and it's not a secret.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CALIgula said:

What's the motivation to NOT go back to work? 

Oh, that's right...a PANDEMIC. 

I wouldn't mind people doing what they want normally (hell, i painted shit that didn't belong to me for years), but when doing what you want could affect my health (or more importantly,  people i love) then as i said before, we got problems. 

You can't imagine how much I'd love to beat the shit out of those fucking protestors at the Capitol. But even going out there for even a verbal confrontation during this pandemic is risky. 

How do you feel about people using automobiles? I mean somebody could get hurt, and die right? What’s the difference?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mercer said:

How do you feel about people using automobiles? I mean somebody could get hurt, and die right? What’s the difference?

Licensing, insurance, regulations galore, developed tracking capabilities, safety devices in place,  established fines/punishments, etc...

25 minutes ago, Mercer said:

That is a false equivalence though.

There is a huge effort to reduce car accidents, there are tight restrictions around driving and heavy penalties for getting it wrong.

Secondly, vehicles are a known quantity, CV19 is not. Maybe when the info is more complete, the comparison will be valid. But when you don't know what this virus will do, you can't accurately compare it to anything.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Hua Guofang said:

That is a false equivalence though.

Actually it's not, it's a perfect comparison. We know people will die, but we're not going back to horses and carriages because it's worth it in the bigger picture to the majority of people (not all). If you focused soley on said number of deaths/injuries only, of course it makes sense to shut down driving in much the same way it makes sense to suspend all freedoms now.

There is a huge effort to reduce car accidents,

There's also a huge effort to stop the spread of germs, in fact I'd say more money is spent on cleaning, sanitation, sneeze guards for food, health inspections, hospitals, preventative care, etc. than on preventing traffic deaths. Your point here is so invalid it clearly supports the opposing view. 

there are tight restrictions around driving and heavy penalties for getting it wrong.

I wouldn't mind as much if people were fined/jailed for things like going out when they're sick, much like a DUI. A ticket for no mask in a senior center, jail sentence for repeat offenders.  Actually I would mind somewhat, but let's just say I'd prefer this as a sort of lesser of two evils over essentially placing everyone on house arrest until "we get this figured out".

Secondly, vehicles are a known quantity, CV19 is not.

We have fairly strong evidence already COVID-19 deadly for less than 1% of the population. Even if you disagree because "unknown" there's no logical consistency to this statement. We don't know for sure how many people will die from inhaling fart vapors, yet baked beans are still a popular food item. Zero logical consistency. Why intentionally cause a massive amount of harm for something you are admitting is an unknown. Also, the deaths/injuries due to automobiles are not a known quantity, we can only look at past statistics to predict future deaths, injuries. We can already do that with COVID19 data.

Maybe when the info is more complete.

You mean like maybe after the famine kicks in fully, and the economic system can no longer support 8 billion people so starvation, death, and conflict reduce the population enough?

Must be nice to live someplace that already places you in the top 10th percentile of access to resources like food, medical supplies etc. and pretend like there's not going to be massive consequences for others from shutting the economy down. It's almost as if you think the economy has zero significance, which is completely retarded until you realize it's of zero significance to you personally.

the comparison will be valid.

It's already 100% valid.

But when you don't know what this virus will do, you can't accurately compare it to anything.

So then let's not overreact, there's enough of us careful people out here masking up, gloving up, reducing travel/contact etc. to have a massive impact from where we were in February.

• Like 1
  • Props 1

50 minutes ago, Fist 666 said:

Licensing, insurance, regulations galore, developed tracking capabilities, safety devices in place,  established fines/punishments, etc...

We already have all these things for health care, sanitation, food, etc.

Even with all these measures in place for automobiles there's still a good chance you could die.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 1
  • Truth 1

22 hours ago, Dirty_habiT said:

I think one day when I have kids I'm going to teach them to figure out how to acquire land as soon as they can in life. Because, in doing so, you will grow tremendously as a person.  It's going to take a lot of sacrifice on my part to do what I want to do but in the end it will be worth it.

@Mercer- what are your requirements in your head for the land you want?  This may sound crazy but to get a really quick livable structure I was thinking we may build a container house because it's cheap and stackable.  I've been watching a lot of people build container houses on youtube and there are some really cool ideas out there.  Check out this guy's shop/hangout/living area he built.  I don't know enough about him to know how he has access to the materials and equipment he does, but he's a hell of a worker because he does nearly everything you see by himself.

Ultimate living off the grid hideout?

Andrew camarta's channel is awesome, "now let's get to work".

• Props 1

7 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Actually it's not, it's a perfect comparison. We know people will die, but we're not going back to horses and carriages because it's worth it in the bigger picture to the majority of people (not all). If you focused soley on said number of deaths/injuries only, of course it makes sense to shut down driving in much the same way it makes sense to suspend all freedoms now.

There's also a huge effort to stop the spread of germs, in fact I'd say more money is spent on cleaning, sanitation, sneeze guards for food, health inspections, hospitals, preventative care, etc. than on preventing traffic deaths. Your point here is so invalid it clearly supports the opposing view. 

I wouldn't mind as much if people were fined/jailed for things like going out when they're sick, much like a DUI. A ticket for no mask in a senior center, jail sentence for repeat offenders.  Actually I would mind somewhat, but let's just say I'd prefer this as a sort of lesser of two evils over essentially placing everyone on house arrest until "we get this figured out".

We have fairly strong evidence already COVID-19 deadly for less than 1% of the population. Even if you disagree because "unknown" there's no logical consistency to this statement. We don't know for sure how many people will die from inhaling fart vapors, yet baked beans are still a popular food item. Zero logical consistency. Why intentionally cause a massive amount of harm for something you are admitting is an unknown. Also, the deaths/injuries due to automobiles are not a known quantity, we can only look at past statistics to predict future deaths, injuries. We can already do that with COVID19 data.

You mean like maybe after the famine kicks in fully, and the economic system can no longer support 8 billion people so starvation, death, and conflict reduce the population enough?

Must be nice to live someplace that already places you in the top 10th percentile of access to resources like food, medical supplies etc. and pretend like there's not going to be massive consequences for others from shutting the economy down. It's almost as if you think the economy has zero significance, which is completely retarded until you realize it's of zero significance to you personally.

It's already 100% valid.

So then let's not overreact, there's enough of us careful people out here masking up, gloving up, reducing travel/contact etc. to have a massive impact from where we were in February.

Your first point is wrong because it assumes that we know how many deaths CV19 will cause and we don't - and we certainly didn't when the lockdown was called. You're comparing a known quantity with an unknown quantity. That's completely illegitimate.

I really don't get your logic on the second point. My argument is that your comparison is simplistic - you are saying that lockdown shouldn't happen because we don't go on lockdown for other things that kill lots of people. But lockdown isn't "nobody do anything", it's a tight control of behaviour until we can reduce the risk. Your comparison treats it as an all o nothing, but it's no the reality of the lockdown and it's not the reality of driving. Lockdown isn't complete and driving also has heavy measures to reduce the risk. Plus, lockdown is temporary until we can figure out how bad the threat is and work out ways to mitigate the risk. We already know how bad the threat is for driving and we've mitigated the risk to an acceptable level.

Your next point is pretty fair. I'm not 100% across all the different levels of lockdown you have and at this point in the game, I'd hope that the areas that are very lightly impacted would phase in opening up and those that are heavily impacted retain heavy controls.

On your next point, sorry, but I'm going with the people who have the training/knowledge/experience on this thing and they are all saying, pretty much to a person, that the facts aren't in on shit yet. And to be honest, your logic of saying "We don't know how much farts kill you" is silly. We know that this virus does kill you and that similar viruses have in the past killed people. We also know that it's highly transmissible. I think that's enough for any reasonable person to say that there is a known risk. 

As to your next point, you can keep it because you're verbalising and being childish. If you want to have an adult discussion, about the impact ont he economy and flow on effects to society, let's. If you want to dribble shit and make up your own answers based on your imagined image of me, you're wasting your own time.

regards your final comment, for sure. But it's not the responsible people that you make the heavy rules for, it's the idiots that don't take the responsible approach. I know that comment is problmeatic and we probably agree more than this discussion suggests, as I said up the page, phasing and geographic modulation of the restructions makes a lot of sense.

But I'm really starting to get hammered here and this took way too long to type.

PS - not valid.

• Props 1