This Old Trap House: Wonk Saggin Edition

mr.yuck

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
4 hours ago, One Man Banned said:

I mean, an open public thread on a pro vandal website.  You can youtube most of this shit and I don't think you're exactly giving away the keys to the city by revealing this, plus you may be helping oontzers protect themselves better.  I had to up my home security game and learn some shit a while back.  Sliding doors/windows are super easy to break into and I'm assuming you're referring to simply popping the door out of the track.

... but you didn't hear it from me.

12 hours ago, KILZ FILLZ said:

@Ko SprueOnealways be more difficult than your neighbor is something I learned though cycling lol. If a bike thief walks up to a rack and sees your bike nice and secure, they’re gonna move on the the next one with nothing but a cable lock on it. Works really well for homes too but I never put it together like that.

So sounds like you’re a believer in this pin system? Also curious how to defeat the dowel system.

Very true there as well.

The pin or bolt is just the best security for this type of sliding door or window. Holes can be drilled at measured points for open settings as well.

• Props 1

aka big enough for the dog to get out but not for a person to get in.

I think if someone is circumventing my physical security, I'm going to know it.  Remember, I'm a tech guy.  I will not be using a "single eggs in one basket defense" plan here against people trying to loot my shit.  Plus, I live far enough away from the city that it won't matter anyway.

My intention is to leverage not only good physical/technological security, but also security through obscurity.

I've broken into my own sliding glass back door i keep "locked" w/ a 2x4 many times.  It's a pita, but I can do it..... and I'd think I could do it to anyone else's door as well. 

A chainsaw is a great breaking and entering tool.  If the walls aren't lined w/ steel plate you just cut out around the reinforced door/frame ..... or cut your own door out right next to it etc.  Yes, noisy, but .... effective.

So, if you want to get past stuff like that, you have fences/gates, cameras, electric fence, etc..... then, you fortify your house.  Not only is it not easy to get TO the house if you're not supposed to be there, it will be difficult to get there undetected, and it will be difficult to get inside if there's something you think you need in there.

I intend to have the spikes that can wreck your tires on the gate entrance.... and quarry blocks surrounding the front meaning you aren't driving around the gate/through the fence easily, not even w/ heavy equipment.

So..... yes, the level of effort needed to fuck with my shit will far outweigh what I'm protecting inside in terms of physical property.

• Like 1
  • Truth 2

17 hours ago, mr.yuck said:

@Mercerthanks for the references. I will be required to get an inspection. I might just do this myself. I have been practicing with the florescent lights in my garage by putting them in different positions in the power supply line. 

@ndv Is that the mansion thats made out of poured concrete or something?

Somethig like that.  Its the guy who owns the company who developed thermite or something. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_T._Huff

• Props 1

FINALLY

I got some damn plumbing going on. 

Im downstairs cutting access holes for the plumber to be able to fish pex line from under the house to upstairs. The plumber sends his helper down to give me a hand. 

A lil back story

I used to have this employee named mark. He had this gravelly voice and dude was a straight bull in a china shop. He would slam fuck shit up all day. He was a total scheister and would constantly try and upsell customers on completely unrelated project. Like if we were painting some ones house he would try to sell them on new flooring. Shit was crazy unprofessional. So when people do wildly inappropriate things or slam fuck shit up around me, I'll default to saying something like "God damnit, mark."

Back to the main story

So this helper is "helping" me do things. This dude yanked down some crown molding out of control and busted a pane of glass in my back door. I set up a plastic dust containment bubble to keep all the dust away from my furniture and tv and shit. I hear this fucking guy yell "hey its gettin pretty dusty in there. Im gonna open a window." Before I can yell not to do it, I hear the window go up and all the plastic sucks away from my work area and dust is fucking going everywhere. I look at this dude and Im like "God damnit, Mark." And you know what? This guys name is actually Mark.

20201209_140524.jpg

20201209_140551.jpg

• Props 1
  • LOL! 2

Is that something that is of newer design than has been typically used in the past?  I dunno diddly about plumbing really.  Right now the place we rent has a drippy tub faucet.  I'm pretty sure it's a rubber gasket/o-ring in the handle I have to replace.  Not asking for help as much as thinking out loud about my potential familiarity with the part you posted above.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sup guys, gotta plumbing question:

just finished replacing kitchen faucet and installing a culligan system under the sink

how far to I open the water shut off valves back up? Like two turns?

I turned them all the way off when we moved in because the sink we bought the place with was busted and I tossed it. Rookie move not noting how many rotation to shut off. 

new faucet 

221760C6-8C5A-4F7C-9121-CD7E4CE81A28.thumb.jpeg.ab99555ae1ae7798814dbcbeaa709f8c.jpeg

Filter

326AD923-8059-4602-A0F3-7D9B9006590C.thumb.jpeg.423e86e0f37b172aa83898c2fe159206.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Props 1

@mr.yuckThat other style looks like it’s much better but I don’t think I will be able to change unless it’s part of a bigger project. Last time plumber was here he mentioned shutting off the water to the Bldg is a pain in the ass because of the notices to the other residents 

Ok, cool- will open up the faucets and then mess with the shut off to see where it seems to work best, that makes perfect sense. I think I may have them too far open right now. Gonna need to mess with them again tmrw anyways..

that little white plastic T fitting that splits off the the 1/4” line for the filter is giving me issues. Going to have to open it up again in the AM to get rid of the tiniest of leaks... going with some sealant over top of the Teflon tape this time instead of just tape. Will be my third or fourth time working that same T fitting, hope the threads aren’t getting blown out. 

yeah the sprayer, pot filler, and filtered water can all go at the same time. I don’t care about the filtered water at all - grew up drinking tap water - but having filtered water is huge deal for the lady so it was kind of a driver for what type of faucet we were gonna get. Always wanted one of these drop down sprayers in my own kitchen after using one in commercial kitchens. After some digging this is what we were able to find. 

DDDBE2B9-CC8D-4A27-8D48-D5B30A643026.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Props 1

4 hours ago, KILZ FILLZ said:

@mr.yuckThat other style looks like it’s much better but I don’t think I will be able to change unless it’s part of a bigger project. Last time plumber was here he mentioned shutting off the water to the Bldg is a pain in the ass because of the notices to the other residents 

Is this in-house maintenance doing plumbing work saying this or a licensed plumber? Tha fuck does a legit plumber care about notifying residents? Show up, complete your job and on to the next. They are not the ones notifying residents in an emergency situation where the entire building’s water needs to be shut off.

You should have a main valve or valves to isolate your unit for upgrades/repairs.

• Like 2
  • Truth 1

3 hours ago, One Man Banned said:

True.  But this also assumes that its accessible to him, not behind lock/key or that some smart guy didn't put wall/ceiling over it. 

I was doing a repair job a few years ago in a large building of condos. I think it was like 15 or 16 stories and we were working up on like the 13th floor. So one of my guys is doing a drywall patch in a wall. The whole building is built with metal studs and in one of the cavities of these studs the plumbers had hidden a 3/4 inch water supply. The guy zaps a screw right into this pipe and the side blows out of it. We scrambled around for a few mins looking for a cut off for the unit and there was none. So I had to scramble down 13 flights of stairs to the front desk and tell them what was going on. Then they had to radio maintenance. It took several more minutes for maintenance to show up on the scene. They took off to the other end of the building where the main cut off was. I think this whole shit took roughly 15 mins. I straight trashed the 2 units below me. I found out a few days later that all of these units had asbestos popcorn that needed to be abated. This was single handedly the most expensive 15 minute fuck up in my history.

• Like 2
  • Props 1

49 minutes ago, mr.yuck said:

I straight trashed the 2 units below me. I found out a few days later that all of these units had asbestos popcorn that needed to be abated. This was single handedly the most expensive 15 minute fuck up in my history.

Ouch.  Curious how that works- insurance covers it?  Yours, and/or theirs?  And do you also have to cover the abatement becase you disturbed the asbestos or does that then become the time where the management has to bring things up to current code?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, One Man Banned said:

Ouch.  Curious how that works- insurance covers it?  Yours, and/or theirs?  And do you also have to cover the abatement becase you disturbed the asbestos or does that then become the time where the management has to bring things up to current code?

I was responsible for it, well my insurance was. I only had a $1000 deductible but the pay out on this thing was absolutely atrocious. I think the asbestos mitigation part of the job was some where around 25k by itself. That was only the affected area. Anywhere the asbestos wasnt disturbed is still there. If I were those people I would have been throwing buckets of water at any dry ceiling in the place.

From what Ive noticed, property management is the absolute fucking worst everywhere Ive ever been. Everyone acts like Im spending their personal money. The particular company Im dealing with right now has a multi unit loss all covered under the associations master policy. They had some jack off independent adjuster come in and the scope of work he wrote up is about 50% short to be able to do the repairs and make any kind of profit. So I told the property management company this and said I would put together a supplement that they could submit to their insurance company to make up for the short comings. This asshole bitch told me that anything outside of the scope of work is the responsibility of the home owner. I had to explain to her that the buildings master policy has a $5000 deductible and if I say there needs to be a supplement for a million fucking dollars, it wont cost the association a penny more. I have  now had radio silence for about a week and a half up until last Friday while these numb nuts try to finger fuck their way through their own job. She sent me an email over that just said "please send proposed supplement."

The really fucked up part is the people that were effected the worst by this loss have had caving in ceilings in their condo now for about 6 months. If somebody doesnt speak up and wax poetic on common sense issues or threaten legal action, property management will never go beyond the actual damage.

But also you have to keep a close eye on the insurance company. They do stupid ass shit from time to time too. In my case, my insurance company paid out 100% of the money to the renters. The renters paid about 85% of all the repair bills before they realized they werent responsible for any of it. The pocketed 1000s of dollars that didnt belong to them. My insirance company basically shrugged their shoulders and said we paid it out. I eventually ended up settling with the restoration company to pay them an additional $5000 out of pocket for work they did.

• Like 3
  • LOL! 1

11 hours ago, LUGR said:

Is this in-house maintenance doing plumbing work saying this or a licensed plumber? Tha fuck does a legit plumber care about notifying residents? Show up, complete your job and on to the next. They are not the ones notifying residents in an emergency situation where the entire building’s water needs to be shut off.

You should have a main valve or valves to isolate your unit for upgrades/repairs.

had to contact plumber recently for an issue in the bathroom and they were very familiar with the Bldg. They’re the plumbing co the HOA referred me to. Guy said HOA requires a notice to be sent out to residents in the Bldg when water needs to be shut off. If there is a valve to isolate my unit they didn’t mention it. They did point out the main valve at the entrance to the Bldg if I ever need to cut it off in an emergency though. upstairs neighbor had a leak behind their tub that came down into my unit. Good times. 

edit: plumber who told me this said he just finished a slab leak and a flooded elevator shaft in my Bldg in the last couple months. Hope I don’t keep running into plumbing issues here but it doesn’t look good lol. 

• Like 2

On 12/20/2020 at 11:16 PM, Dirty_habiT said:

I want to get an industrial kitchen style three basin sink with over head hanging high pressure scolding hot water sprayer like they had at my first job.  I think that would be the pinnacle of dish washing at home for me. 

Pair this with penitentiary plumbing and you have better than commercial.

17 hours ago, where said:

Is penitentiary plumbing short for hiding stuff in your butt?

Lol... no.

18 hours ago, Dirty_habiT said:

What do you mean?  Can you go into detail?  I know the plumbing works on air or vacuum in the jails I've read about in books. 

I am not sure on that and definitely not doubting it if so because I was amazed by the pressure.  

So basically think of stadium restrooms and how the toilets flush with more pressure.  Well in the pen the plumbing is designed to make sure things are forced down the pipes.  The designers think ahead and know that a pissed off inmate or someone just stupid will try and flush things down a toilet just to cause a flood.  

Basically you can flush a can good lid and it won't get stuck.   You can flush a lot of stuff and it won't get stuck.  The pressure is high and has to be.  

So anyhow, the only way inmates flood areas is by stuffing towels in the toilet and repeatedly flush.  Only way to stop it is to shut off the valve to that wing or block.   

Thats the knucklehead side of things that go on in a pen.   

But yeah so the plumbing is designed with high pressure to prevent unnecessary cloging typically found in residential and most commercial buildings.  Governments and states actually go the extra mile to prevent somethings occurring in environments that you do not want to happen in in everyday general use that suffices in other environments.  

Now, I do not think I honestly answered your question in technical form as I was a user and not a builder.  But I was amazed at the force of the pressure when sitting on the throne and you drop one flush one.  Everyone used to crack a joke about how you could just sit on the toilet and just flush and the turd would just get sucked out your butthole.  

As funny as that may sound, it gives you a slight perspective of the pressure pens use.  

I am sure though the piping is a little more high grade to deal with the force.  If you can find someone who has done plumbing work for jails and pens then they will know exactly what needs to be done and materials use.  Because the pressure test has to pass too.  

• Like 2