This Old Trap House: Wonk Saggin Edition

mr.yuck

1 hour ago, metronome said:

@mr.yuck my dad had one retro-fitted in my parents place a few years ago, I can ask him about cost and how complicated it was.  And keep in mind we're Canadian so parts would probably be cheaper for you. 

I just took a cursory look at my gas set up. I have a 3/4 in main that comes into the garage at the hot water heater. But it reduces to a 1/2 in tee. So not the worst case scenario but I would have to bust all of this apart and replace the tee with 3/4 x 3/4 x 1/2. So that I could get that larger diameter pipe to the tankless unit. Luckily everything is already vented so literally it’s just the one gas fitting and then hooking up the existing hot and cold.

• Like 2

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

You might be calling some one else @One Man Banned There are a few things that give me a lot of trouble

1) Storm doors

2) Shower doors

3) Pocket doors

I have decided against fiddling around with the gas line for right now. If fuck something up, not only do I not have hot water, but I don’t have heat period. I’m gonna toss in a cheap regular ass water heater tomorrow and maybe this is something I will revisit in the spring or summer.

• Like 1
  • Props 1

On 2/6/2022 at 6:13 PM, mr.yuck said:

You might be calling some one else @One Man Banned There are a few things that give me a lot of trouble

1) Storm doors

2) Shower doors

3) Pocket doors

I have decided against fiddling around with the gas line for right now. If fuck something up, not only do I not have hot water, but I don’t have heat period. I’m gonna toss in a cheap regular ass water heater tomorrow and maybe this is something I will revisit in the spring or summer.

Our shits been fucked up all winter. As a duplex we have heat on the upstairs floor where we’ve been converting to our bedrooms so that’s good. But the downstairs and finished basement have no heat. Just space heaters for now and these bills are fuckin insane. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NightmareOnElmStreet said:

Our shits been fucked up all winter. As a duplex we have heat on the upstairs floor where we’ve been converting to our bedrooms so that’s good. But the downstairs and finished basement have no heat. Just space heaters for now and these bills are fuckin insane. 

I know that pain man. I lived in this rental house that had old wood windows with single pane glass. My hvac homie said the gas pack in the house looked sketchy as fuck and said he wouldn’t cut it on. We ended up burning kerosene heaters in the house all winter at like $8 a gallon. Lol. We were burning like $40-$50 a day in fuel.

Good news, dawgs! When I unhooked my water heater this morning the hot supply line started spraying pressurized cold water at me. That was a super ‘wtf’ moment and I started panicking a little bit. I quickly remembered I’m not that kind of MF and just cut all the water off to give myself a chance to think. Why is cold water spraying out of the hot side? Why is cold water back flowing into the hot pipe? Where would cold water flow into the hot pipe? Then it hit me like a 7 gram blunt; I hadn’t installed the mixing valve in the master bathroom yet. The cold water was just pressing through the diverter and making a U turn right back down that hot pipe. I installed the mixing valve, separating the 2 water lines, and bingo bango, no more back feeding.

what a dip shit. At least I get to go return this water heater tomorrow and get my $800 bucks back.

• Like 2
  • Props 6

3 hours ago, mr.yuck said:

Sounds sketchy! Lol 

like you used a block of wood and then hit that with the hammer to knock the door straight? 

IDK, remember when cars were made of real metal and you could fix a dent with a mallet and a piece of wood?  But yeah, sounds more sketchy for a glass shower door with thin metal framing.  But, not far off from suggested technique and it helped.  Door basically bent down toward the corner of the door jamb/sill so it sticks- door was left in open position too many times and/or had shit hung from it.  Put the wood block between sill and door and you can use it like a wedge to flex the door up, and you can put the block under the door and tap it up to flex the door back that way too.  

• Props 1

@One Man BannedSmacking shit with a block of wood is a forgotten art form. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been on my way out the door for a job and some one mentions a sticking door and asks me how to take care of it. I reply just smack the shit out of it with a hammer. And people are like “you’re kidding, right?” And then I tell them “I’ll be right back!” At this point people are pretty nervous and I usually hear my wife tell them reassuringly “Don’t worry, he does this all the time.”

Then it’s tap tap BOOM. Recaulk everything that came apart and then the stay at home wives are like “OMG! It works amazing! My husband was supposed to take care of this years ago but I don’t let him use tools anymore after what he did to the ______! Can I suck your husbands dick? I bet it’s sooo strong!”

• Like 1
  • Truth 1
  • Props 1
  • LOL! 1

On 2/8/2022 at 10:58 AM, Mercer said:

I'm going to have to dig cracking drywall tape out of some ceiling joints and pretty much  re skim coat most of a giant room's ceiling that was installed in 1970 and never corrected. I'm kinda upset about that, but not enough to hire someone else.

Whack ceilings must be dealt wit. Good luck to your neck breh. 

• Truth 1

4 hours ago, metronome said:

I thought I was the only one who said bingo bango bongo.  I have no idea where I picked it up. 

I don’t use it often but I can only assume it’s something I heard one of my grand dads say when I was a little kid and it stuck with me cuz it sounded funny.

• Like 1

One of the first things I tackled in my house was some ceiling skimming. First time I had ever done a whole one but I’ve known the basics a long while. Since my shit is old as fuck I wasn’t super concerned with going full smooth anal (nh) but I did a lot of work. Semi gloss painted very rough popcorn is hideous. One heavy grit pass with the drywall sander. Rental from Home Depot before I bought a sick mirka. 2 coats with the mud. Took quite a while. Originally tried the mud on the paint roller hack but I must have been doing it wrong because it did not go well. Who even puts gloss paint on ceilings anyways? Unless you have some crazy trimmed out shit in a fancy library room. These are separate rooms but you get the idea. Also the bunch bed I sprayed for my daughter months ago pictured. 

987B6401-8EA2-4019-9E4F-E1B1408A2777.jpeg

14C53F03-8C89-433D-B8D5-351B68925AD0.jpeg

3D14948A-38EE-4943-8536-552C1D13BE6A.jpeg

41D19C79-17CB-4813-8D5D-CB8613C98B0F.jpeg

AA2F0225-CC9A-4AF5-800D-F1C5185FF5F0.jpeg

A2C820B3-C7CF-473B-8CBA-6C1C8A98DDC7.jpeg

Edited by NightmareOnElmStreet
  • Like 1
  • Props 4

2 hours ago, NightmareOnElmStreet said:

I’m comin atcha with the assist requests lol

all you need is a tape measure and a speed square.

07F8F811-FC4C-467C-A3D0-838AFD6E5503.webp.a2c0cfefd4b5a64f92f3d0371ee5faa5.webp

Step 1

throw a nail in that little piece to hold it in place pressed all the way as far as it will go into the corner so you can use both hands.

Step 2

Take a measurement from the red point (where the trim should hit at the ceiling) to the blue point (the edge of your trim)

CC44609D-1167-4E5D-8673-D9C010FC3729.thumb.jpeg.7e2053d0ab901f46099a08be2d429a93.jpeg

For the sake of this example we will just say that your measurement is 5 inches

Step 3

Hook your tape to the edge of your board (Your new red point) and pull it over 5 inches to your new blue point. Use your speed square to draw a vertical line from your blue point to the very top of the board.

D2FF9110-8EB9-4580-9DBF-35AC1312C82A.thumb.png.34eff13f06156236f08584222bf80bf3.png

Step 4

Use a straight edge and draw a line going diagonally from the top of your blue line to your red point (money line)

now all you need to do is lay your piece of trim down on your chop saw and line the blade up with the green line what ever that angle comes out to be. Once your angle is cut you can cut your piece down to its over all length and that bad boy should slide right into place.

2C528111-183B-44A9-9A24-99E1A6E7BD47.jpeg.8146f256e8f5f7d735a1b3c384b535c8.jpeg

• Props 7