This Old Trap House: Wonk Saggin Edition

mr.yuck

@Mercerbelieve it or not, a lot of my construction knowledge has been years of trial and error. The chop saw is my favorite tool. It’s hella versatile and a lot of fun. As long as you are willing to burn up a pile of material learning what works and what doesn’t without getting mad about the wasted material, the process can be fun and rewarding. I’ll take a picture of the first sill I did. Lol it’s jacked the fuck up and installed in a closet.

• Like 1
  • Truth 1
  • LOL! 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Agreed. These days with youtube, I'm pretty much game for almost any project and feel like trial and error fuckups are way cheaper than paying someone else to do it. Just saved 20k alone on a backyard project which is nearing completion this weekend hopefully.  Only one massive fuckup, from a retarded dump truck driver but their boss agreed to make it right. Dude ran over my newly installed drain trying to dump stone in my yard, after I told him to dump it in either the driveway. Now I have to dig that shit back up and reinstall a new one, which is fucking up my deadlines with equipment rentals.  

• Props 1

Are you installing French drains? That sounds like an undertaking. Truck drivers are the worst sometimes man. Were they specific on how they were going to make it right? I’ve had dumpster companies crush culvert pipes, break sidewalks, and gouge driveways on the regular.

• 1 month later...

Sup fellas? Good news; your mans just got pizzaid! Have another week or two of work and then its light speed getting this hoe finished up.

In the meantime, does anyone here have experience as a mason or more specifically know the ins and outs of chimneys? I have been getting conflicting info on a potential problem I might have.

I had a chimney sweep come out and take some pictures of the inside of my chimney a few years ago. He told me that I have a problem and that is I am missing about 6-8 feet of flue tile from the top of the stack down and that burning a fire in the fireplace was mega dangerous and could start a chimney fire.

I also talked to a mason that was showing me pictures of an Oldschool fire place he was building in some ones home and he told me that flue tile doesn’t go much past the roof line and that my chimney was built correctly. 

I don’t want to spend any money fixing a non existent problem if anyone has any insight on the situation that would be dope.

• Props 1

Admittedly, just a guess here, but I think brick and mortar alone aren't enough to contain smoke, co2 and the occasional creosote fire. Not a big deal above the roofline I guess, problem is you can't clean it properly and it will build up creosote there and become a huge fire hazzard when in use.

Also, if it's true there's sections of liner still in tact above a missing section of liner, the liner above might be prone to collapsing, and damaging the bottom sections, requiring a full reline. Wouldn't use, and would cover my ass by disclosing this if sold. Other shit isn't a big deal to tuck away quietly and not disclose, but safety shit like that will get you jammed up. You know that chimney sweep that didn't get the up-sale commish will snitch. Again, just a guess. I don't know shit about masonry, or chimney service & install. 

• Props 1

@MercerI got a bad feel from both parties. The chimney sweep had a retarded expensive solution that just so happens they could start working on ASAP. 

The bad feeling I got from the brick mason was a little more nuanced. He seemed to be the type of fellow whose favorite pastime is drinking keystone light and hitting his wife. I don’t trust that either.

I might make some more calls and figure out if the style the chimney is built has me grandfathered in due to age of the home.

Chimney sweeps are maad cheap, just have 2 more come by for a sweep and quote/advice for correction. You could also youtube search this shit, chimney sweeps are entertaining youtubers. Also pretty cool watching them demo a liner with a rod in a drill that has silver truck nuts on the end.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/3/2021 at 7:23 PM, Mercer said:

Chimney sweeps are maad cheap, just have 2 more come by for a sweep and quote/advice for correction. You could also youtube search this shit, chimney sweeps are entertaining youtubers. Also pretty cool watching them demo a liner with a rod in a drill that has silver truck nuts on the end.

This plumber, Drain Addict, makes good yootoob as well. Him and 'Ratty' finding the fckin corn

https://www.youtube.com/c/DrainAddict/videos

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@nicklesndimesI got you fam. 

that top one with the ceiling looks like some one floated some drywall mud over some cracking plaster. Over time moisture gets in between the two layers and does what you see here. Without tearing shit completely apart and replacing with purple board, you are correct. Scrape all the loose shit off. Get a bucket of blue top drywall mud. Any brand will do any shade of blue is good. Get you a metal drywall pan and a drywall knife. 4” knife to get it out of the bucket and an 8 inch knife to smooth it out. And a sanding sponge to smooth out your handy work.

Bottom picture. Pull out your plug and take another picture so I can see what amp receptacle you have

• Like 1
  • Props 3