Political Dissent - Disappearances and Deaths

KILZ FILLZ

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

7C205F1F-9891-4D0F-AC21-0CBC2DFA2787.thumb.png.16f7abfadb46893391bd5372b4683017.png

https://nextshark.com/chen-qiushi-journalist-missing-coronavirus/

A Chinese citizen journalist has reportedly gone missing after exposing Wuhan’s “urgent epidemic situation” involving the 2019 novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) in a YouTube video posted last week.

Chen Qiushi, a former human rights lawyer, managed to arrive in the city a day after it was put under quarantine. He reported from Wuhan until his alleged disappearance.

Chen was active on YouTube and Twitter, where he has more than 422,000 subscribers and 237,000 followers, respectively.

Both platforms, like many others from the West, are blocked in mainland China. The ruling Communist Party oversees both official news and content on social media.

As a result, virtual private networks (VPNs) have become popular in the country as they allow users to bypass the Great Firewall and access banned websites and applications.

Chen, who challenged the government’s position on Hong Kong protesters last August, saw his Chinese social media accounts deleted. He joined YouTube and Twitter last October.

“I don’t sing praises to the powerful, but only talk to the masses,” Chen wrote in his Twitter bio. “I won’t immigrate, I won’t shut up [and] I won’t accept donations.”

In his YouTube video posted on Jan. 30, Chen exposed the alleged realities in Wuhan, the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak. He expresses multiple times that he only reports what he has seen or been told personally and doesn’t want his eyewitness reporting to be confused with the numerous internet rumors. He claims that hospitals have been struggling with the volume of incoming patients.

Chen criticizes the Chinese government’s initial suppression of coronavirus information, delaying what could have been an effective response to the crisis rather than the reportedly current ill-equipped situation. He describes a massive city with 10 million people, not enough transportation available for people to get to hospitals, and those who do get to a hospital are turned away because there is a lack of test kits that are only used to verify critical cases. People have been waiting days with suspected symptoms just to wait to test if they are infected with coronavirus. Even if people confirm they are sick with coronavirus, there is a lack of medical supplies and face masks while doctors are exhausted.

At one point in the video, an elderly woman can be seen holding a dead man in his wheelchair because they are waiting for a “car” to take him to the morgue.

“For the first time, I felt anxiety, fear and almost collapsed on camera,” Chen said.

Chen then reveals that his chest hurts these days and it has become difficult to breathe. He reveals he also has diarrhea, a symptom of coronavirus, but he hopes they are just the result of the very stressful circumstances.

Towards the end of the video, Chen, clearly in a stressful state and admittedly scared, acknowledges that the justice department and police have been harassing him to “cooperate” with their investigation and discover his location in Wuhan. He reveals he is staying at a friend’s place and that he is very protective of revealing his location. He claims authorities have also harassed his parents to discover his whereabouts. “I have the virus in front of me. Behind me is China’s law enforcement,” he says.

“If I am still alive in this city, I will continue my report, I will only tell you what I saw, what I heard.”

Then, through tearful eyes, Chen ends the video with a message clearly meant for the Chinese government:

“F*ck you, I’m not even scared of death. You think I’m scared of you Chinese Communist Party?”

Chen is fully aware of the dire consequences that sharing his face, the information he is reporting and sending beyond China’s firewall will bring to him from the Chinese government.

Prior to his alleged disappearance, Chen spoke with Quartz and further described the Wuhan situation.

“I have been to four Wuhan hospitals, and even the construction site of Huoshenshan, the temporary hospital China built for admitting the patients. In the beginning, there were not many people in hospitals. But after I met more local youngsters, I heard from them that the situation is still severe. They do not have enough testing kits, beds, and doctors are extremely overwhelmed. Workers and their leadersat the construction sites for the new hospitals are exhausted too,” Chen told the outlet.

He also confirmed seeing dead bodies.

“There was a video that showed three dead bodies lying in a Wuhan hospital’s corridors circulating widely online before. I was told by some nurses in a local hospital that the video was true. The nurses also said this situation was because the local funeral homes did not have the capacity to transfer all those bodies. I have seen bodies many times during the past days, which makes me feel emotional. I saw two dead bodies at a hospital, one was lying in the corridor, and one was in an emergency room being wrapped up by nurses.”

Chen’s mother and friends have been unable to reach him since 7 p.m. on Feb. 6 (local time), according to a tweet from his own Twitter account.

“He traveled to Wuhan to report on the coronavirus outbreak. His family and friends are deeply worried. Please help to spread the news and support him,” the tweet said.

As of this writing, Chen’s video has received more than two million views and 35,000 comments, with many expressing their concern and hoping for his safety. Some also volunteered to provide subtitles for his video so that more people can understand his message.

“You are so brave and I cannot commend you enough. Know that we are thinking of you and hope you stay safe and healthy. Thank you for taking this risk to keep us informed. Wuhan’s people deserve to have their stories heard,” one user commented.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dirty_habiT said:

Is this the actual beginning of the end for China?  It sure seems like it.  They can't do shit as a communist party if all their people are sick/dying.

Might be a little soon to think this. The amount infected are like .000033% of their population, if i’m not mistaken. 

Still a lot of fucking people infected with a virus they’ve yet to stop. 

Side note: Why doesn’t my iphone calculator allow me to work with numbers above 999,999,999? Never noticed this.

Edited by abrasivesaint
  • Like 1

While that may be true I would imagine an infection like this grows exponentially over time if it's not stopped.  I cannot confirm but I haven't heard any news indicating that the infection is slowing or being stopped.

Just last week in Austin, TX we apparently allowed 107 people from China fly in here and "remain in quarantine for 14 days".  I can't even believe the irresponsibility of allowing such a thing to happen but I guess I cannot say I'm terribly surprised either given that Mayor Adler is an unintelligent person.

22 minutes ago, abrasivesaint said:

Might be a little soon to think this. The amount infected are like .000033% of their population, if i’m not mistaken. 

Still a lot of fucking people infected with a virus they’ve yet to stop. 

Side note: Why doesn’t my iphone calculator allow me to work with numbers above 999,999,999? Never noticed this.

Under Xi Jinping's leadership, China has:

- seen a trade war with the US

- seen its economy slow

- experienced international condemnation for its massive concentration camps in Xinjiang

- seen an anti-integrationist leader be elected in Taiwan

- experienced massive unrest and rejection of mainland influence in Hong Kong

- experienced major mishandlig of the virus, which has resulted in widespread dissatisfaction of CCP rule

That's a lot of bad shit on his watch. It's the kind of thing that sees your friends go quiet and your enemies grow bold. Xi recently changed the constitution to allow him to be ruler for life (previosly they wree only allowed two terms). I think you can be confident that there will now be strong internal resistance to him taking a thrid term. The interesting part of that is that he has not annointed a successor and the top role might be up for grabs.

China has seen 5 bloodless transitions of power since 1949. Serious potential for the next one to be chaotic and rough.

23 minutes ago, Hua Guofang said:

Under Xi Jinping's leadership, China has:

- seen a trade war with the US

- seen its economy slow

- experienced international condemnation for its massive concentration camps in Xinjiang

- seen an anti-integrationist leader be elected in Taiwan

- experienced massive unrest and rejection of mainland influence in Hong Kong

- experienced major mishandlig of the virus, which has resulted in widespread dissatisfaction of CCP rule

That's a lot of bad shit on his watch. It's the kind of thing that sees your friends go quiet and your enemies grow bold. Xi recently changed the constitution to allow him to be ruler for life (previosly they wree only allowed two terms). I think you can be confident that there will now be strong internal resistance to him taking a thrid term. The interesting part of that is that he has not annointed a successor and the top role might be up for grabs.

China has seen 5 bloodless transitions of power since 1949. Serious potential for the next one to be chaotic and rough.

I just meant in terms of China collapsing because of their population being sick and dying. 

23 minutes ago, Hua Guofang said:

PS, turn your iPhone on its side for larger equations.

Those sneaky fucks. 

• Like 1

6A01776C-B68D-4094-9E44-4D128C1D2446.thumb.png.76b0b71d618a2638f292363db4f24123.png

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/03/outspoken-chechen-blogger-found-murdered-in-lille

An outspoken blogger from Chechnya who had criticised the country’s leader Ramzan Kadyrovhas been found brutally murdered in France, several of his acquaintances have said, in the latest killing of a Chechen dissident in Europe.

Imran Aliev, 44, was found dead late last week in a hotel room in the city of Lille. He had been stabbed repeatedly in the neck. Accounts of Aliev’s murder were confirmed by a Chechen opposition journalist who knew Aliev, and by one other Chechen living in Europe who asked not to be named because of concerns for his safety.

The police have not yet named any suspects, although police sources have told French media that they suspect the motive may be political. Chechens living in exile who have fought or spoken out against Kadyrov – the ruthless Chechen leader appointed by Vladimir Putin – have often been targeted for assassination. Last year, a former Chechen rebel commander was shot twice in the head in a targeted killing in Berlin’s Kleiner Tiergarten. The suspected assassin is Russian.

Aliev, who settled in Belgium after leaving Chechnya, was described as an eccentric and divisive figure who often published YouTube videos critical of the Chechen government under the pseudonym Mansur Stariy, or Old Mansur. He had also sparked conflicts by targeting natives of Ingushetia and Dagestan, regions that neighbour Chechnya, in profanity-laced tirades that had earned threats on his life.

Those who knew Aliev expressed surprise that he had been targeted because he was seen as a marginal figure suffering from debilitating health issues.

“He was murdered especially cruelly,” wrote Musa Taipov, a Chechen opposition journalist based in Strasbourg who said he was in regular contact with Aliev. In a Facebook post, Taipov described Aliev as a “difficult but honest” acquaintance who was managing a difficult illness with painkillers and would sometimes issue “not entirely proper declarations”.

“Some people, they offended. For others, they were ‘funny’,” Taipov wrote. He sometimes urged Aliev to delete the YouTube videos, Taipov said, and “most of the time he agreed”.

Police have not publicly identified any suspects in the case. A lawyer who knew Aliev told the Caucasian Knot website that the blogger had received a visitor from Chechnya several days before his death. The man had asked for Aliev’s help with a health condition and the two travelled from Belgium to Lille together, where Aliev was last seen alive. The man then disappeared. Minkail Malizaev, a Chechen blogger who left Grozny under pressure and now lives in Germany, also claimed in an online post that the man visiting Aliev had also sought a meeting with him.

Thousands of refugees and emigres from Chechnya live in Europe. Many fled the two wars that devastated the region from the 1990s, while others escaped the brutal crackdown against dissent under Kadyrov, who has headed the region since 2007 and runs it as a near-fiefdom. Aliev had political asylum in Belgium, the lawyer said.

The trail of assassinations of prominent Chechens in Europe and the Middle East stretches back more than a decade, and includes former rebel commanders and government critics. Increasingly, the attacks have targeted people who posed no real political danger to Kadyrov, but merely took to Instagram or YouTube accounts to voice their dissatisfaction with Chechnya’s leaders in Grozny.

“I have no doubt that [Aliev] was on a list of people who have been sentenced to death,” said Tumso Abdurakhmanov, a video blogger living in Europe who has received threats from allies of Kadyrov for his criticism on YouTube of Chechnya’s government. 

Abdurakhmanov claimed that before Aliev’s murder, he had received information that a hitman from Chechnya had been dispatched to western Europe, and shared the details of the man’s itinerary with German police. Abdurakhmanov said he initially believed that the hitman was targeting him. He declined to reveal the source of that information.

However, Taipov said in an interview he was sceptical that Kadyrov was behind the killing. He told the Guardian that Aliev had received a wave of threats last month from natives of Ingushetia, another region of Russia, because of insulting remarks concerning a border conflict with Chechnya.

Aliev had even been put under police protection, Taipov said, and may have been lured to Lille because it was just beyond the jurisdiction of Belgian police. “There is no logic to this murder, either in the motivations or in the way it was carried out,” he said.

The murder of an unidentified man at the Hôtel Coq Hardi near Lille train station was first reported on 30 January by La Voix du Nord, a local newspaper. According to the paper, the body of the man was found in his room by the cleaning staff after he failed to check out of his room. The body bore multiple stab wounds to the neck and a knife, the suspected murder weapon, was also found in the room.

The newspaper did not identify Aliev. But on Monday evening, the news agency Agence France-Presse reported that the victim was Aliev, citing sources in the French police who added that he was travelling with another man “of the same nationality”.

I haven't read this yet but it's bound to be a cracker:

“V” For “Vympel”: FSB’s Secretive Department “V” Behind Assassination Of Georgian Asylum Seeker In Germany

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/uk-and-europe/2020/02/17/v-like-vympel-fsbs-secretive-department-v-behind-assassination-of-zelimkhan-khangoshvili/

• In our previous investigation of the  murder of Zelimkhan Khangoshvili on August 23, 2019 in Berlin, we identified the suspected assassin — who traveled under the fake identity of Vadim Sokolov, 49 — as Vadim Krasikov, 54. We disclosed that Krasikov had a prior criminal history that involved at least two contract killings, once in Karelia in 2007, and one in Moscow in 2013
  • We disclosed that as of 2013, Krasikov had been wanted for murder by Russia under an Interpol Red Notice warrant. However, in 2015 the warrant was withdrawn and evidence of his criminal past had been cleansed from Russian databases
  • We concluded that the sophisticated procedure of issuing valid documents in the name of a fake persona, along with the full registration of such non-existing person in all government databases, could not have been done without the direct involvement of the Russian State.