Why I Don't Fuck With Anything But Water, Never Drink Soda, Juice, Or Anything But H2O

Mercer

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

it's mad isn't it?

Took so long for companies to have to put a standard size (per 100g) on food in Australia. Before that the serving size  could like 12 grams or something when the wheat biscuit weighs 36grams. and you're never going to eat 1/3 of a biscuit.So even if you thought you were doing right once you sat down with the scales you'd realise your calculations were off.

It's fair enough with Nutella and shit like that most people would have a fairly good idea Idea that it's not the best for you but there's so much shit in everything.

but that "energy gap" thing he mentions is scary as shit.

So many parents would get caught up in that.

• Like 1

I don’t like the idea of regulation and sugar taxes for the obvious reasons that most here agree with. But people need to be able to make educated decisions.

The food lobby here in Aust are ferocious and have a lot of politicians in their pocket with donations. They do everything they can to stop the market from being informed and aware. 

• Truth 2

I think it's reflective of an even bigger problem, most people don't want to take the time to prepare a proper meal for themselves, or their kids. I know because I'm one of those people, or at least used to be and the only reason I'm not now is I'm lucky enough to be married to a smart person who won't allow me to revert to my natural state of hamburger helper retardation.

It seems so simple, like just don't drink anything but water, and the only thing you should add to coffee, is more coffee, or if you're not chopping fresh produce when preparing a meal you're missing something super important this meal.  I guess for my situation it's easier to rely on "personal responsibility".

Edited by Mercer

You know what fucks me up..... is canned drinks that have 1.5 or 2 servings in one can.

Like ummmm.... I think I'll just have 3x .5 servings because I don't do whole servings I'm watching my figure.

I've been really bad about caffeine recently and I need to figure out how to get off of it.  I get groggy as shit and headaches on the weekend when I'm not in the office around the espresso machine.  I usually have 2 shots of espresso a day during the week and then nap when I get home from work from caffeine crash.  Then I stay up too late, don't get enough sleep, wake up early af, drink coffee, repeat.  I'm pretty tired of it and would like to just go to bed at a decent hour, wake up early, go to work without feeling tired af, come home and not nap.....

That's DHABZ's current battle.

52 minutes ago, Mercer said:

I think it's reflective of an even bigger problem, most people don't want to take the time to prepare a proper meal for themselves, or their kids. I know because I'm one of those people, or at least used to be and the only reason I'm not now is I'm lucky enough to be married to a smart person who won't allow me to revert to my natural state of hamburger helper retardation.

It seems so simple, like just don't drink anything but water, and the only thing you should add to coffee, is more coffee, or if you're not chopping fresh produce when preparing a meal you're missing something super important this meal.  I guess for my situation it's easier to rely on "personal responsibility".

There's been some interesting studies out here and in the uK (I think) that show in wealthier areas there are more grocery and fresh fruit/veg shops per household and far less fast food outlets. The exact opposite is true for the lower socio-economic areas. They have KFC, McD's, 7/11s, etc. everywhere but have to travel much further distances to access supermarkets and fresh food stores. Added to that, it's become more expensive to eat healthy foods than it is to eat processed, high-sodium, high-carb/starchy fast food.

Obviously we end up with cities that have health belts and obesity/diabeties/scurvy belts due to these self-perpetuating cycles of education/awareness and eating habits

Food deserts are real. Sugar addiction is real, too. 

I'm on board with most this, but the 100% juice vs added sugar juice isn't a real argument. Plenty of fruits in their natural fruit form have sugars higher than that per serving--but I'm sure this dude isn't doing a quiet talk exposé about it. Not all sugars are the same for the body. 

Drink sizes.... what caught my attention with that was living in NYC during Bloomberg, he had proposed a soft drink tax and a limit on drink sizes and the beverage industry went nuts.  They had roving signs on many of their trucks, also billboards, that basically said don't let the government tell you what size drink to drink.  What struck me there was the missing other half of that message, the implication of don't let the govt tell you what size drink to drink, let our company tell you what size to drink.  Guess it also interests me because I pick through a lot of old/historic type spots looking for old liquor bottles and it's pretty common to find the old pony bottles of coke/pepsi.   I always think this 7oz bottle was enough to be satisfactory at the time, what really changed that?

Will also say fuck bottled/canned juice in general but don't want to say fuck juice altogether.  I don't do it often but squeezing your own oj takes a few moments of labor and is 1000 times better than store bought.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fist 666 said:

Food deserts are real. Sugar addiction is real, too. 

I'm on board with most this, but the 100% juice vs added sugar juice isn't a real argument. Plenty of fruits in their natural fruit form have sugars higher than that per serving--but I'm sure this dude isn't doing a quiet talk exposé about it. Not all sugars are the same for the body. 

external-content.duckduckgo.jpg.917abf509b49d11eb7fc34a8c76d18e8.jpg         Welch's 100% Grape Juice~64 oz. Bottle

Here's a Welches "no sugar added" label for a 64 ounce bottle. They claim there are 8 servings per bottle, I say there are 3 to 4 servings top, unless I'm sipping from the fridge door cave man style and putting it back without using a glass.  Even at their recommended serving size of 8 oz. you're getting 60 calories (15.2 g of sugar). By comparison an 8oz serving of coca cola classic is 100 calories from (26g of sugar.) So drinking a "natural" juice like this one which is on the lower side of sugar/calories is only slightly better.

The health effect differences between sugars are almost non-existent when trying to avoid the negative effects of sugar whether it's diabetes, or obesity, the two most common negative effects. A serving of all natural 100% "no sugar added" juice with 16g of sugar is still consuming 16g of sugar. The fact is humans naturally have a taste for sugar, and will normally choose the drink with higher sugar content, and these companies know it. They'll do anything to get you to buy their drink over another.

Sucrose, glucose and fructose are important carbohydrates, commonly referred to as simple sugars. Sugar is found naturally in whole foods and is often added to processed foods to sweeten them and increase flavor. Your tongue can't quite distinguish between these sugars, but your body can tell the difference. They all provide the same amount of energy per gram, but are processed and used differently throughout the body.

Chemical Structure

Simple carbohydrates are classified as either monosaccharides or disaccharides. Monosaccharides are the simplest, most basic units of carbohydrates and are made up of only one sugar unit. Glucose and fructose are monosaccharides and are the building blocks of sucrose, a disaccharide. Thus, disaccharides are just a pair of linked sugar molecules. They are formed when two monosaccharides are joined together and a molecule of water is removed -- a dehydration reaction.

Glucose

The most important monosaccharide is glucose, the body’s preferred energy source. Glucose is also called blood sugar, as it circulates in the blood, and relies on the enzymes glucokinase or hexokinase to initiate metabolism. Your body processes most carbohydrates you eat into glucose, either to be used immediately for energy or to be stored in muscle cells or the liver as glycogen for later use. Unlike fructose, insulin is secreted primarily in response to elevated blood concentrations of glucose, and insulin facilitates the entry of glucose into cells.

Fructose

Fructose is a sugar found naturally in many fruits and vegetables, and added to various beverages such as soda and fruit-flavored drinks. However, it is very different from other sugars because it has a different metabolic pathway and is not the preferred energy source for muscles or the brain. Fructose is only metabolized in the liver and relies on fructokinase to initiate metabolism. It is also more lipogenic, or fat-producing, than glucose. Unlike glucose, too, it does not cause insulin to be released or stimulate production of leptin, a key hormone for regulating energy intake and expenditure. These factors raise concerns about chronically high intakes of dietary fructose, because it appears to behave more like fat in the body than like other carbohydrates.

Sucrose

Sucrose is commonly known as table sugar, and is obtained from sugar cane or sugar beets. Fruits and vegetables also naturally contain sucrose. When sucrose is consumed, the enzyme beta-fructosidase separates sucrose into its individual sugar units of glucose and fructose. Both sugars are then taken up by their specific transport mechanisms. The body responds to the glucose content of the meal in its usual manner; however, fructose uptake occurs at the same time. The body will use glucose as its main energy source and the excess energy from fructose, if not needed, will be poured into fat synthesis, which is stimulated by the insulin released in response to glucose.

TLDR: Either way, you're basically fucked.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hua Guofang said:

There's been some interesting studies out here and in the uK (I think) that show in wealthier areas there are more grocery and fresh fruit/veg shops per household and far less fast food outlets. The exact opposite is true for the lower socio-economic areas. They have KFC, McD's, 7/11s, etc. everywhere but have to travel much further distances to access supermarkets and fresh food stores. Added to that, it's become more expensive to eat healthy foods than it is to eat processed, high-sodium, high-carb/starchy fast food.

Obviously we end up with cities that have health belts and obesity/diabeties/scurvy belts due to these self-perpetuating cycles of education/awareness and eating habits

My guess would be poor people have more of a taste for Mcdonald's, KFC, etc. and rich people prefer to consume more organic produce. The chances of these companies setting up shop to negatively effect poor people as part of a conspiracy, and not basing their location on favorable local market demand is pretty slim.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mercer said:

My guess would be poor people have more of a taste for Mcdonald's, KFC, etc. and rich people prefer to consume more organic produce. The chances of these companies setting up shop to negatively effect poor people as part of a conspiracy, and not basing their location on favorable local market demand is pretty slim.

What’s pretty slim is the difference between naivety and ignorance in this bullshit opinion. The “conspiracy” in the creation of food deserts has more to do with banks and real estate companies than “poor people like salty foods.” 

33 minutes ago, where said:

What’s pretty slim is the difference between naivety and ignorance in this bullshit opinion. The “conspiracy” in the creation of food deserts has more to do with banks and real estate companies than “poor people like salty foods.” 

Why are you so emotional? I'm willing to learn something new on this if you've got some sort of links or something.

So you're telling me rich people prefer KFC, and poor people like yourself prefer BMC?

• LOL! 1

I’d say I’m passionate about advocacy over emotional because that implies a reactionary bias. I found your comments to be bigoted but not without some evidence or merit. Inequality it multifaceted, it can’t be boiled down to simply free market principles. I could demonstrate and source this argument but don’t have the time or level of inspiration necessary at the moment, which may change, but for now imma keep it moving

I think @Merceris definitely correct in what he said though.  It's very obvious that poor people eat shit food.  Just imagine mcdonald's dollar menu.  Do you think anyone wealthy got wealthy by skimping on their food cost and eating dollar menu bullshit + ramen noodles for every meal?  Everyone in the ghettos across america would be rich with just a little bit of good spending habits then, but that's not the case.  It's high sugar, high fat, cheap foods that trick your brain into feeling like your body has been fueled properly.....

What's easier for a family to do when they don't have money and the mom/dad weight over 300 lbs (and aren't body builders)?  Grocery shop and cook, or buy pizza + dollar menu shit for their kids every night of the week?  WAYYYY easier to just buy cheap shit and be a lazy asshole than it is to put effort into planning, shopping, and cooking healthy food.

Also, the amount of "liquid sugar" that can be fit into a certain volume is WAY more than the amount of granulated sugar.  If you were to look at a bag that weighs what a dr. pepper has in it for sugar in granulated form, you'd wonder how did they fit all of that in the can.

No no, @Dirty_habiT@where is right, it's just a victimhood thing like he says.  We're all obviously tricked easily into poor food decisions. Even me, being this somehow "bigoted" minority that I am, growing up poor and in & out of juvy, my decisions couldn't possibly be my own responsibility.  I never knew I was just more prone to be tricked into making bad decisions like ordering a 5 piece, with mash potatoes and gravy from KFC because of my skin color. I just needed a liberal like where to come along and set me straight on that. To bad I've wasted all these years not realizing this easily bamboozled tendency I share with the rest of my kind. I mean with my diminished mental capacity and all, corporations probably find it irresistible to just trick me into eating big macs even if they lose money doing so, and here my dumb ass was thinking they locate their businesses where it was most profitable. Glad I know now. Thanks for the heads up@where, I'm sorry I assumed you were retarded. You're obviously my intellectual superior.

• LOL! 2

7 hours ago, Mercer said:

Completely agree, didn't mean to make out otherwise. I think it's likely self-perpetuating in that if there are less fresh food places close by people will use them less and go for what is conveninient, thus the market for shit-food climbs and more investment is made to supplying it to these types of areas and on the cycle goes.

@wherewhy you gotta turn this thread into an argument. I have no doubt that @Mercerwould have been open to hearing what you had to say if you didn't come off so condescending. We all know the saying about flies and honey and if you are passionate about advocacy then changing people's minds should be a priotiry. You won't succeed at that with such angry retorts.

• Like 2

@Hua Guofang obviously agree, which is why I think this is a conversation worth having. There's so much misinformation, and snake oil being spread about this simple subject it can be tough to find the truth. Also why it's crucial to be civil so actual discussion can take place. I let dude slide without really going in, when he got upset at everyone posting Kobe memes and he came at me like a grieving widow. Now it seems to be a pattern.

Anyway, I used to drink soda, and all these different forms of sugar water like fruit juices etc. myself up until I met my first wife who got me drinking "diet" or 0 calorie soda for a while. Also, before then I used to date this girl back in 98 that drank Dr. Pepper all the time. After breaking up with her, then years later barely being able to recognize her because she got fat, and the teeth turned yellow I put 2 & 2 together and said fuck soda. It took me a while to figure out fruit juice was almost as bad. Eventually I started drinking seltzer only, then regular NYC tap water like 5 years ago and think it's one of the best decisions I've ever made. Not only is it better on the budget, (you can easily spend $100 - $200 a month on drinks if you look at the numbers). it's really good for your health. 

• Like 2

Don't have time for a real linked response, but the differences between sugars is greater than stated (nobody is getting the 'betes from too much fresh squeezed oj),  but most importantly high fructose corn syrup isn't in your list of sugars, @Mercer. That specific  sugar is where your poverty piece comes into play heavily--cheap to produce and in everything.

Shaming families who are often working multiple shifts or jobs a day for not taking the time to cook a meal is a bad look. After a 10-12 hour day I'm often not motivated to cook more than a frozen pizza, if I were working 14s to 16s, I fucking promise I wouldn't cook a real meal, and I highly doubt any of you would either . (Of course there are fat fucks without jobs doing this, too, but in a ton of ways this is a chicken/egg conversation, but I'll try to stick to sugars and food deserts ).

I cook 80% of my meals from scratch,  and I watch my budget with such. I feel successful when I can get a healthy meal down to $3 or less per serving, but most sit around $5-6 per serving (not beans and rice, usually organic meat, conventional veg, organic or natural dairy/eggs). That is with a car to access grocery stores, time to cook said meals, and the know how required. Not everyone has those, and the cost efficacy in both time and dollars of fast food is fucking insane. 

Now if the next argument is about why people should stop breeding I'm 100% in, but let's not conflate these two. 

(My ex wife's master's thesis was on sugar addiction and food deserts so I'll try and dig up her work for related links. That was also 2012 and I know the science has come even further, meanwhile subsidies for corn and corn syrup have not changed at all. )

Waaay longer post than i intended, good night.

• Like 2
  • Props 1

I think people that want to eat healthy and don't have a lot of money or time still have a day off.  I know people that cook meals and freeze them so they can eat them througout the week without buying fast food or eating junk that they could cook quickly.  We eat pizzas a lot at my house but we've been using the cauliflower crusts that have less carbs.  I'm not a super health nut but I do try to be conscious of not eating a bunch of crazy shit all the time.  I definitely understand what you're saying @Fist 666but I don't think working long shifts is a good excuse for eating junk all the time.  It just requires planning ahead and dedication to the cause.  I will say that with full disclaimer that I do not do this but wish I did.  I know what needs to be done but I just don't make the choice to do it because I do other shit..... but it's no mystery about what should be done to eat healthy.

I have a horrible sweet tooth.

Anyway, for anyone struggling with soda addiction, sparkling waters are refreshing in the same kinda way a soda is without the sugar.  I don't know if you guys can get them all across the nation but I like Waterloo brand more than La Croix.  We haven't bought LaCroix in a long time.  Mango Waterloo, that's my shit.

9 minutes ago, Fist 666 said:

Don't have time for a real linked response, but the differences between sugars is greater than stated (nobody is getting the 'betes from too much fresh squeezed oj),  but most importantly high fructose corn syrup isn't in your list of sugars, @Mercer. That specific  sugar is where your poverty piece comes into play heavily--cheap to produce and in everything.

High fructose corn syrup is basically composed of fructose & glucose on the molecular level. My list was a breakdown of the 3 main simple sugar molecules which are present in all sugars. Glucose being the most common of the 3, and fructose being almost automatically converted to fat when there's glucose present. So high fructos is worse for you, where it comes from (corn) and it's physical form (syrup) is of little to no consequence for health purposes.

Shaming families who are often working multiple shifts or jobs a day for not taking the time to cook a meal is a bad look.

Pointing out that bad habits are bad isn't shaming. I never threw shade, I was pointing out why these food deserts existed. I'll probably never ignore the fact that tobacco, bad food, dismissive attitudes towards education, etc. are OK. To me this "hush hush" attitude regarding bad habits comes from a very privileged perspective on these problems. Like to know these things are harmful, but to pretend they're OK for poor people to do seems kind of insane from my perspective, and from my experience it's the people who have never been poor that push this perspective the most.

For me the "soft bigotry of low expectations" is offensive, and almost as offensive as a white dude saying "wow dude, you're pretty smart for a... uh, nevermind". Bottom line for me is that poor people have been cooking food from scratch since the dawn of mankind, this modern day take on it being too inconvenient isn't so much a problem brought on by lack of funds, as it's a problem with attitudes about food in general. That's just my take on it. I know people from countries way poorer than the hoods here in NYC that don't have this same processed foods problem, and it might be because they're allowed to talk about it without someone getting offended. I doubt it, it's probably more of a cultural values thing but whatever.

After a 10-12 hour day I'm often not motivated to cook more than a frozen pizza, if I were working 14s to 16s, I fucking promise I wouldn't cook a real meal, and I highly doubt any of you would either . (Of course there are fat fucks without jobs doing this, too, but in a ton of ways this is a chicken/egg conversation, but I'll try to stick to sugars and food deserts ).

I'm not going to lie, I rarely cook for myself every day, even after an easy 6 hour shift. A couple times a week I'll get down but to be honest, I haven't worked a day job since September and rarely even cook now. I'm lucky I've got a wife who's a culinary artists in her own rights and loves to cook. I still try to do food prep myself for the week if my wife is traveling, just because I can't stand eating shit food.

I cook 80% of my meals from scratch,  and I watch my budget with such. I feel successful when I can get a healthy meal down to $3 or less per serving, but most sit around $5-6 per serving (not beans and rice, usually organic meat, conventional veg, organic or natural dairy/eggs). That is with a car to access grocery stores, time to cook said meals, and the know how required. Not everyone has those, and the cost efficacy in both time and dollars of fast food is fucking insane.

Exactly, but dude, how many excuses can you make. I'd think that if you can make it to a place with a drive through, chances are you can make it to the grocery store. I've lived in some real shit areas before and they all had at least a shit grocery store. I've been in some really bad spots where I had to feed myself on $20 for the week, and would buy ramen noodles, eggs, and sometimes a pack of Newports with what was left because fuck it, I needed a cigarette. I'm not bragging or nothing, just pointing out why I don't feel like it's so offensive for me to call this shit out, because basically I've been there myself.

I'm not trying to judge anyone not doing like I do now,  just trying to spit what I feel is truth, and hoping someone might make even a single good choice as a result. That's just my attitude, granted nothing pisses people off more than the truth, but that's just a responsibility I feel being someone who's "made it" whatever that means. I'm not saying you're wrong here, and I'm right, just defending being criticized, and pointing out there's more than one way to go about shit, and see the world and that's OK. This background of having been there is why I feel free to point shit out like why food choices tend to suck in the hood. Fact is, everyone gets a vote when they choose what to buy, and unfortunately if enough of a neighborhood, town, or city votes to get rid of whole foods, and move in a more fast food, there's really only one group of people responsible for the results of that election. The best approach to combating bed decisions, is speaking up, and pointing out why voting that way isn't a good look if you get what I'm trying to say.

Now if the next argument is about why people should stop breeding I'm 100% in, but let's not conflate these two. 

(My ex wife's master's thesis was on sugar addiction and food deserts so I'll try and dig up her work for related links. That was also 2012 and I know the science has come even further, meanwhile subsidies for corn and corn syrup have not changed at all. )

Waaay longer post than i intended, good night.

I enjoyed it, although were on different shit a great post IMO. 

• Like 2