Teach me a new word

KILZ FILLZ

What is a word to describe someone who consistently :

1) find faults in things as though there is a reward 

2) raises issues but is unwilling to work towards correcting those issues

3) points out flaws in a plan without a suggestion to correct/prevent those flaws

Duckduckgo  gave me CAPTIOUS but that definition is for someone who does this with trivial things. The person I have in mind raises legitimate concerns that needs to be address and then walks away. Pulls the pin on the grenade and bails, regularly.... seemingly without joy. I need a legitimate word here that would fly in the work place otherwise I would just use ASSHOLE. Cheers cunts. 

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

call him a Pecksniffian moron. Then adjust monocle and smite him with your cane.

Could you ask him publicly if he thinks his energies would be better directed at finding solutions for problems as opposed to finding problems for solutions.

he can't really say no to that because then he's admitting being a dickhead.

• Like 3
  • LOL! 2

@KILZ FILLZ- I would say based on #2 and #3 alone that they are just complainers.  I think being a complainer at work (or in general) is one of the worst things a person can be labeled as.  Most of the time when I find that someone is a complainer I just don't give them a chance to talk to me.  I've had plenty of coworkers that as soon as they think they have an ear they will just unload the complaints they have.  It's also very gossipy.

I know this isn't what you were asking, but I find the best way to deal with complainers is to find a way to be doing something else that doesn't involve having enough free time (at work) to listen.  This can be any number of things that don't involved being directly rude to the person.  Having to go to the bathroom, having to get more coffee, having to go get a drink of water, having to go ask your boss a question, having to go ask your other coworker a question, having to go on lunch break, having to go make a phone call real quick, etc, etc.

If possible I'd separate yourself from this person and not deal with them because you likely are not going to be able to do anything to change their nature.  If they're like this all the time, that's how they're going to be ...... all the time.

• Like 3

@Dirty_habiTive already done that. I’m more curious about this personality trait than I am looking for a word to use *against* someone, I guess. 

seems like this type of person isn’t uncommon?

i can appreciate ‘gumming up the works’ for the sake of it but if it were something that directly benefited me, and I saw an issue with it, I would be motivated to work to fix it. Or at least  provide a solution. But pointing out things that make your day harder and then not caring? Very odd. 

• Like 1

I also associate this trait with people that have aspergers syndrome.  I am not making a disparaging comment about people with aspergers because it is likely something they cannot control..... but what I've seen in the "tech community" through working with many sharp folks is that they pride themselves in pointing out problems and they're, at the same time, bad at social interactions.  This causes them to not understand that what they're doing is received negatively by the general population.... and since they have a disorder, they literally have no clue that they're rubbing people the wrong way.  This isn't an excuse to do it either.  I think since I've been exposed to so many people that fit the description you're making I've just learned to figure out ways around dealing with their bs.

It is VERY odd that people want to point out problems without fixing them, I 100% agree.  And, you're right, usually when someone is known for doing this you can tell that they are getting some sort of satisfaction or fulfillment out of pointing out the issues as if nobody else saw them or understood that there were problems.

One decent approach that is somewhat soft to people like this is to politely point out that they have a habit of finding issues without providing solutions.  Express to them that this is basically "throwing the problem over the fence" and making it someone else's responsibility to fix.  The productive way to handle "finding an issue" is to, before pointing the issue out, brainstorm at least one solution to the problem you intend to point out and present that at the same time as pointing out the problem.  This looks WAY better with managers than just being the "complainer".  I'm not telling you this because you don't know this, I'm just saying this is a way that you can potentially explain this issue to the problematic person in an effort to help them solve this.  It really is a personal growth thing, I think, and what they're doing is immature even if they don't realize it as such.  Again, they probably think they're being clever, or smart.... when really they're being annoying.

• Like 3
  • Truth 1

I call him/her 9 yrs old 

don’t know the word/description you’re looking for and I hope you find resolution because it will affect you 

if you can’t alter someone else you must stand your ground and be firm -loud and clear for all to hear 

“You can complain to me once-but the next time you better come with a solution:complaint” 

We had an instructor that introduced himself this way and it was always during his class that the pecksniffian moron was quiet and not disruptive-other instructors who allowed this behavior spent more time trying to reorganize the class because of this ONE person. 

don’t flood my problem solving brain with more problems. I refuse to let negative people/complainers  occupy the headspace I worked so hard to achieve. 

people who are like this (IMO) I have learned they are used to people walking away and occupying themselves with something to avoid confrontation but this just allows this behavior to continue because it’s normal FOR THEM.  
the minute you call it out (or make a habit of it) they get shitty but after a while they will realize it’s what they needed (even if they won’t admit it)   We as a species demand and sometimes thrive from structure and some sort of guidance/direction. But also backing it with pointing out what they bring to the table -some positive reinforcement, without adding to ego.

it doesn’t have to be a pissing contest but you have to protect your sanity by calling it out.  They might also realize your intentions are to make a productive work place and realize it wasn’t a personal attack. It’s hard but effective af  

$.02

• Like 2
  • Truth 1

• 4 months later...

Dichotomy.

di•chot•o•my dī-kŏt′ə-mē

• n.
    A division into two contrasting things or parts.
  • n.
    The phase of the moon, Mercury, or Venus when half of the disk is illuminated.
  • n.
    Branching characterized by successive forking into two approximately equal divisions
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...