I'm not one for reggae but......

T.T Boy

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i understand that reggae is mostly about political views and im not knocking that but aargh theres just something i dont like about it and its pissing me off trying to figure out why everytime i hear a reggae song i feel disgusted... maybe its because people around here bump it outta there rides way too much? maybe its cause my ex loved it? maybe its cause... i dunno but im gonna find out

Guest willy.wonka

great reggae

everybody loves BOB MARLEY

PETER TOSH

STEEL PULSE

JOHN BROWNS BODY

ALTHEA AND DONNA

BLACK UHURU/////MICHAEL ROSE

YELLOW MAN

ISREAL VIBRATIONS

GREGORY ISSACS

ALPHA BLONDE

HR from "BAD" SOUL BRAINS

HUMBLE SOUL

WAILING SOULS!!

HONESTLY..i love BOB'S music,but i think he gets played out too much and people think that he is the only "great" one out there..

JOHN BROWNS BODY is tight...i love listening to them...

positive irations

TT BOY..beenie man is a chump to me..

check out my list and see what other reggae you can get your hands on....for pistol is right...expand

IM A "RUDE BOY"..

I agree with WW that most people's only experience in the genre of reggae music is Bob Marley & The Wailers. But those same people listen and know of only a small portion of Bob's music.

Here's usually the only songs the 'average' perosn knows about Bob

Jammin

No Woman No Cry

Could you be Loved

Buffalo Soldier

Basically what is on the Legend album

But his musical archive is incredible. From some of the early stuff with the Wailers where it didn't sound like Reggae at all.

Dancehall is kinda like combining Reggae beats spinning a little faster and rap music , singing in the same style a rapper would rap over a beat. Dancehall is usually played in clubs more so than the typically laid back grooves of reggae.

bob marley, smarley pfft. if you want some decewnt reggae check out the 100% Dynamite compilations on Soul Jazz Reccords. They have god all the good rare shit from the lates 60's to mid 70's on them Augustus Pablo (RIP), King Tubby, Lere Perry, The Skatalites and Jackie Mitoo etc.

Originally posted by Pistol

Bob Marley quite possibly one of the greatest artists' to ever live.

Good to expand your musical taste's TT.

Beenie Man...I'll pass.

oh ive always been a huge fan of bob, in fact i have all of his albums on vinyl, i guess my dada growing up in africa may have had something to do with that. but yeah id likke to expand what i listen to.

and yeah ill check out that list and get a few songs, im sure ill feel a bunch of it.

Guest Pilau Hands

You'll hear dancehall in a club. You'll dance to it and do things that might be illegal if you were outside. I like dancehall...good times.

i love reggae. yes dancehall is an old form of reggae. sort of like soul and funk being the precurser to hip hop. dancehall was the popular music played on jamaica in the 50s and 60s. it influenced other styles like rocksteady, ska, then reggae. reggae was the last style of these to come about. i prefer all the old reggae artists, i really don't like the new stuff much. willy wonka has an alright list there, maybe i would add King Tubby or Burning Spear.

You forgot about Burning Spear! Beenie man isnt reggae at all..hes just from the island so people think its reggae. That crap sucks...yea bob is one of the best artists man...i like his old shit from mid 60's on...people nowadays just listen to bob marley cuz they smoke weed and they think its cool or some shit...thats gay.

actually pistol and bug, you're both wrong.

the real roots of jamaican music are in a music called mento. from american blues and jazz influences (alnong with mento) came ska in the early 60's, from ska came rocksteady and from rocksteady came reggae. there are all kinds of offshoots off of reggae, but those are the basics. the roots of the "dancehall" sound that people commonly refer to come from the late 70s when rasta music started to die down. check out the roots radics for an example. but 90% of all jamaican music since the 50s was aimed at the dancehall, so it's not a very descriptive term... ragga, which is essentially digital started up in the 80s off of dudes speeding up a casio beat, no joke. a listen to early ragga will show this. i've listened to jamaican music forever and it's some shit that i'm real into. and modern reggae is good stuff too. for those of you "keeping it real roots" people, go listen to buju's til shiloh. and tell me it doesn't stand up.

and pilau is right. everone should get the opportunity at least one in their lives to being doing some straight scandalous shit in the corner of a dark club to bam bam or ghetto red hot. hot damn.

yes tearz you are right. i'm a bit confused about it but i do recognize that you know what you're talking about. but pistol, you are wrong, very wrong. ska came from reggae? sorry man

Guest willy.wonka

who knows and who cares!!!!

the energy is there and it has been there "everlasting"....before you and after....

its good to know history,but to bicker about it is kinda useless...

Originally posted by Pistol

Bob Marley quite possibly one of the greatest artists' to ever live.

Good to expand your musical taste's TT.

Beenie Man...I'll pass.

Beenie man, Shaggy, that is not REGGAE!!

If you want GOOD reggae, I suggest you stick with Bob Marley... The Wailers... Eddie Grant...... Gregory Issac.. GOOD STUFF!!

Archived