Graff Girls

K-Rock

• 3 weeks later...
This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Miss Van Interview

Here's a Miss Van interview I found...it's from Jan-03..thought some of you might be interested:

· Generalities

When did you begin painting?

At the beginning of the nineties, I was 18 years old.

What are your influences?

The art movement "Figuration libre", Japanese artists, graphics, animation movies, the pin-up of the fifties, comic strips, are part of my inspirations. I am influenced by artists like Marc Ryden and Junko Mizuno and, in another field, by the comic strip Vaugn Bodé realized in the seventies.

Why did you first choose to paint on the walls of your town, and non on canvasses ?

I didn't really choose it, it came naturally. Painting on walls was a way to show that I was boycotting the conventional art world. At my beginnings, I had a rebel mind.

I also find this more exciting to paint in the street because it is forbidden. Painting on walls allows me to keep my freedom, as it is illegal, there is no censorship.

It is also a challenge, each time I paint on a wall there is the risk of seeing my work erased.

Since I like moving around and meeting people, I prefer painting in the street.

It also enables me to make my art accessible to a large number of persons.

Is it hard to be a girl in Graffiti?

As I am a girl in a masculine environment, I may be more easily criticized. I had to fight to show that my work was as good as men's.

· The MISSES

Have your dolls evolved over years?

They evolved a lot over the past ten years. At first, my dolls had much more purified and graphic lines, they were very childish. Their forms were simple and round. Then the line have become more precise, I added many details. My dolls have become more realistic and expressive. As I am always sincere when I paint they have grown up with me.

What draws you in your art work?

At the beginnings, my dolls were self-portraits. Graffiti has a very megalomaniac side, instead of writing my name, I chose to represent myself through my dolls. I felt a real need to affirm myself, maybe because I have a twin sister and I had to show my difference.

Then, I didn't feel as much this need to mark my identity, my work became more interior.

The idea of provocation has also a part in my conception of my work. I have always liked painting a sexy doll in an inappropriate place. I want to provoke strong reactions.

Can we say that some of your works are erotic?

Yes, it doesn't bother me. Since I work on woman, I cannot avoid being close to sensuality and even to eroticism. However, my paintings are never vulgar.

I want my characters to truly exist, I'd like them to have their own personalities. I recognize that some of my dolls are provocative, it is part of their personalities. I like playing on ambiguities: woman/child, angel/devil. As long as my dolls suggest something, I consider I have succeeded.

Why do you never represent masculine characters?

At the beginnings, I represented some masculine characters. But it doesn't interest me, from a graphic point of view, they are too simple. Occasionally, I have replaced them by small animals, by cuddly toys, which has provoked strong reactions…

What message do your dolls convey?

They convey a provocative image, sometimes a bit erotic. I wish they disturbed and provoked fantaisies.I want them to make the viewer react, no matter the reaction. I would like them to make people forget their daily lives.

· The "poupée or not poupée" project

How would you define your new project "poupée or not poupée"?

It is not really a new project, it is more in the continuity of my work. I have already painted my body using the image of my doll. But the fusion didn't go as far: I didn't paint my face, the eyes of the doll were at the level of my breast…This time, I really embody my doll. I made these photographs to be in a closer relation with my characters. What motivated me to achieve this project is linked to the self-portrait: my dolls have always been the reflection of myself, it was time that I embodied them.

The title "poupée or not poupée" underlines the idea that sometimes I wonder if I am not a doll, and if my dolls are not real.

Technically, how did the metamorphosis take place?

Vanessa Castex took the pictures. I chose to work with her after seeing one of her exhibitions, where I was impressed by her technique. I was very natural while she was taking pictures, I didn't pose and the photographs were not retouched.

You said in an interview to HHC that you wished your dolls were 3-D to be able to touch them. Is transforming yourself into your misses a way to achieve this ambition?

For many years I have thought making my dolls 3-D. Last year, I began taking sculpture courses to realize a sculpture of my misses. It will enable me to give life in some way to my dolls, and it will help me to draw them under angles I had not imagined yet. Sculpture interests me more than 3-D images.

Are these photographs a means to illustrate the way you work?

No, what motivated me to realize these photographs is not artistic. These photographs are something I had to do, for me it was almost a kind of fate. The "poupée or not poupée" project is also a kind of exorcism, regarding the power of the dolls on my life. There is something really ceremonial in these photographs. By some aspects, they are also a bit monstrous. For example, the nose is not at the right place. I did not want a perfect image of total embodiment, so I didn't try to erase these faults.

These photographs are also a way to assume the role of the dolls in my life, and to go to the end of my work.

Can we say that in some photographs you look like a geisha? If so, is it to underline the influence of mangas and Japanese culture on your dolls?

In reality, it is completely by chance that I am eating sushis on some pictures. The photographer kept on taking pictures during lunch break, although she was not supposed to do so. But it is true that I quite appreciate Japanese aesthetics. However I don't like clichés. I want to mix different elements, I don't want to limit myself to one particular style.

Are these photographs an apology of femininity?

No, I wouldn't dare asserting this. These photographs enable me to assume my body, to show something at the opposite of what we usually see in fashion magazines. It is a way to show me as well as to show my dolls.

However, we might talk of an apology of femininity with my dolls.To create them, I spend my time seeking everything which is around women, so it is possible to see in this work an apology.

Is performance an artistic field you would like to explore?

Yes, maybe. "Poupée or not poupée" is a performance, but it is an intimate performance, in door-clot. I like the idea of changing support. However, I wouldn't do this transformation in front of an audience. I was asked to be filmed but I refused. It is not exhibitionism, it is a personal work.

Do you consider doing this experience of transformation again?

Yes, I would like to make another series of pictures, and this time, I would directly work on it. For example I would draw different elements on photographs, clothes, make-up…

· Plans

Do you have plans in the future?

I would like to leave away from France, maybe to go to Barcelona. I wish I exhibited my works abroad. As I said it previously, I would like to realize sculptures and mix two mediums: photography and painting. I am already doing T-shirts, but I would like to realize more by-pro

In case your confused...Here's a flick (one of a series) to help clarify what they are talking about during the "poupee or not poupee" questions

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid102/p3731702d4b25201555cd9c92d491626c/f9c47029.jpg'>

It's a shame that I don't see names like Chic and SS 7DS, 2Cute and Abby.....

wassup with that????

http://www.saster.net/PictFiles/rip%20copy.jpg'>

Chic and SS rocked more trains than any of the ladies past and present! wassup with that! Combine all of the female bombs, and Chic and SS dogged more!

Check the history....

DON'T FRONT!

Big Ups to 17

http://www.saster.net/PictFiles/17.jpg'>

Big Ups to the OTB crew.

Originally posted by Dik Upinia

wassup with that????

Chic and SS rocked more trains than any of the ladies past and present! wassup with that! Combine all of the female bombs, and Chic and SS dogged more!

Check the history....

DON'T FRONT!

Big Ups to 17

http://www.saster.net/PictFiles/17.jpg'>

Big Ups to the OTB crew.

WHATTAYA PEEPLEZ DEF? GIVE PROPS WHERE THEY ARE DUE!!!!!!!

BIG UPS!

Originally posted by Dik Upinia

wassup with that????

Check the history....

DAM KID..U BROUGHT ME BACK..I HAVENT HEARD ABOUT ABBY..CHIC..SS...2CUTE..DAM FOR YEARD...OLD SKOOL KID!

DEMEROCK..RSH..WALLNUTS..KD

WWW.DEEPINSIDETHEMIND.COM

WWW.WLAANUTSCREW.COM

Re: my list of graffiti ladies...

Originally posted by K-Rock

her35

pebs

heart x 2

wish

poise

truce/bela

Iris

Lola x 2

Diva x 2

Tash

Spice

Skoda

Aura

White

Mizery

Jepady

Akura

Stun

Karot

Fury

Dets

Teez

Tribe

Phena

Geisha

Siren

Omega

Stoney

MiniWub

Blue

Dona

barbara62

eva62

Charmin

Kathy161

Klor

Enigma

Yolie

Pink

Raye

Moody

Pam

Zori4

Sherm

Fuss

Spneed

Groove

Dita

Sum

Basik

Mees

Brith

Kaper

Sygma

Grobi

Fafi

MissVan

Hapi

Ivy

Buffie

Kels

Miss17

Fanci

Mace

Ream

Mink

Shiva

Soma

Menar

Fani

Phem

Chick

Dawn

Bambi

LadyBug

Hope

Jakee

Muck

Claw

Icon

Erotica67

Naisha

Kraneo

Niade

Ambra

SuperB

MadC

Naecy

tika

Sherm

Neces

Dita

Aztec

Gem

Aser

Humo

Spark

duende

Nina

Dura

Nina

Cosa

Mute

Kisses

Envy

Lase

Eski

Kim

ShyGirl

Phen

Mizery

Secret

Mes3

Main2

Unik

Lush

Wink

Jasper

china

damsel

chalk

are2

halo

eon

shine

sonya

Kast

Dotie

Unik

reminisce

Acet

Wink

Meta

Asia

Maya

venus

Phant

Kay

Dafne

Wendy

Nina

Musa

Lase

Pesk

Kate

Yoni

Twist

Crest

Bel

SS

Elise

Ali

She

Sis

Snow

Bug

it's not the best list and I know I left out a lot of people!!!! (and if you think i am wrong about any...let me know)

Angel179, Siloette, Snowflake, NC17, Gel, Swan/Naws, Jezel....

Archived