Book/audible recommendations.

abrasivesaint

Was going to post in the News spot as i’m “mostly” looking for political/social/cultural shit, but i figured a wider audience pops in here that may not dabble over there. 

Hit me off with some recommendations. As the week goes on my podcast list dwindles rapidly if they’re not lengthy, so i need something to keep me entertained at work and such.  

Open to anything.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I love Tales from the Underground by Dostoyevsky. Take the opening line for example:

I am a sick man. I am a spiteful man. I am an unattractive man. I believe my liver is diseased.

https://librivox.org/notes-from-the-underground-version-2-by-fyodor-dostoyevsky/

A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens, about the French Revolution. Opening line:

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

There's heaps of readings available, I listened to one on Librivox with an old British lady reading it and it was brilliant. Can't find it now.

There's also a pretty decent podcast I listen to from Australia called the National Security Podcast, which is decent. I'd also suggest the lawfare pods, The Long Now pods, Malicious Life, Intelligence MAtters, Future Thinkers, and others if you want some suggestions.

• Like 2
  • Props 1

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

I'd be interested in a more recent version of this set in modern times, is this any good?

I’m really into it. About half way through now. He gets into the US-Saudi embargo in the 70s, Panama Canal, Columbia, Iran, Indonesia, even talks about a nuclear power plant in Seabrook, NH which i thought was funny from growing up semi near there. 

Brought it up to my boxing coach because he’s into politics and such. Never quite knew what he did for “real work.” Turns out he’s an environmental economist. Told me some stories of Panama waste companies just dumping straight into the bay. Another story of an eastern European radiation site that set off his dosimeter (i think thats what it was,) within minutes and it was set to go off when he received a years worth of “acceptable” radiation. Among some other cool little tales.

For a while i was using various junk emails to sign up for free Prime trials and with each trial you get 2 book credits, so i just downloaded a bunch. They caught on though and now your phone number is attached. 

It’s the same as any other streaming service though, the thing that sucks is having to buy the books after the fact of paying for audible itself. They’re not something i buy often though. 

edit: i dont have Hulu, or Netflix or anything like that though, so it’s not really any sort of “extra” expense on tops of other services. I pay for Spotify and Audible, thats it. 

Correction: i pay for DAZN now too. 

Edited by abrasivesaint

4 hours ago, misteraven said:

How are you guys listening to books? Aren't Audible subscriptions expensive as fuck?

2033290532_ScreenShot2020-01-29at4_37_37PM.png.f32bae898d119e265a8274504f290309.png

This deal is a no brainer for anyone like myself that spent a lot of time driving/commuting. You get two freebies a month, then it's an additional $26 for 3 more credits if you blast through both of your freebies. I'd usually go through 3 to 4 books a month on average. Some of the more intense books like Human Action, and Man, Economy, and State I've listened to, and even read more than once. Both books are around 40 - 60 hours each, and worth listening to and reading more than once if you're not a grad school level economist. So much value out of those two books for a 1 month subscription fee of under $10. Anyway, canceled my subscription once I quit my job and all the content is still availiable via unlocked DRM in apple music, and still present in my audiobook library which is more than I can say for my apple music subscription (half your music library disappears if you cancel).

Edited by Mercer

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...