Boldly go where... Star Trek Picard / Discovery

misteraven

Who else here is into Star Trek? Honestly, I've enjoyed all the series, except DS9 (just couldn't ever get into that one, likely cause I always thought the Ferengi were the corniest characters in that universe), but thoroughly enjoyed the others. One of my earliest memories is my parents leaving me at a baby sitters for New Years Eve as a very young kid and laying on the couch for like two days watching a Star Trek (original series) marathon. Later, watching Star Trek - Next Generation while eating cherry chocolate chip Publix ice cream with my dad was something I really looked forward to. Was super stoked when Enterprise kicked off, and surprised it didn't do far better than it did. Voyager was probably my favorite series until I stumbled on Discovery.

Not for nothing but CBS did a shit job rolling out Discovery. The idea of unlocking paid content was still fairly new for network television when season 1 launched and I'll admit that I was excited by the trailers and commercials leading up and then completely soured when I found out I had to pay to see a CBS show. Oddly it wasn't that long ago and already the way we consume TV has vastly changed and now everything is some paid streaming service. They did broadcast the first episode free, but like a lot of those types of shoes, it takes a minute to wrap your head around a new series and new characters and so between that and the paid thing, I bashed it and never gave it a chance. Then someone gave it a hugely positive review and I stumbled on a few free episodes somewhere and turns it out, its far an away my favorite series. Has all the awesome adventures of the newer franchises and all the production value of the newer movies. And yeah, I the reboot movies was huge for me and I assume re-energized the fans. At least until JJ Abrams got moved to Star Wars and the reboot movies suddenly fell to Chinese production companies. Whole other topic, but they definitely fucked up the reboot movies after that. Not terrible, but nothing like the first reboot.

Anyhow, I've super fuckin excited for this new series, Picard. No doubt I'm at a point in life where seeing the old characters has so much nostalgia that it almost feels like being reunited with family. Story line seems sick and production value appears to be as good as it gets. Honestly, if they keep releasing content that good, the $6 - $10 cost of entry to stream is well worth it to help guarantee that they keep doing good shit like that. Discovery will be released along side it (season 3), so this is shaping up to be pretty amazing if you're a Star Trek fan.

And not to derail my own thread, but the Mandalorian fucking sucked. You have to really go far out on a limb and suspend your love and appreciation for Star Wars to say you like that train wreck of a series. So fucking bad... But that's another thread.

This one is dedicated to Star Trek, particularly the CBS All Access series.

Links:

https://www.startrek.com/

https://www.startrek.com/shows/star-trek-picard

https://www.startrek.com/shows/star-trek-discovery

Trailers:

About to rewatch Discovery Season 1 & 2 to get refreshed for season 3.

Anyone else watching?

• Like 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I refuse to watch the mandalorian..... mainly because I think star wars was something cool to watch once or twice and then move on with life about.  It's not a movement, george lucas isn't a "genius", he's a space cadet that probably smoked a whole bunch of rope.... and you have neckbeards across the globe acting like he's some sort of genius.....

So fuck baby yoda.  I ain't watchin that shit because I like girls.

• Truth 1
  • Props 1

54 minutes ago, thealmighty... said:

I tried to get into discovery but couldn't. Somewhat excited for Picard but most tv/streaming things dont excite me anymore. Except for the mandalorian. I liked it. My son likes it. My wife likes it. To each their own

Try and get through to season 1, episode 5. It slogged for me for a few episodes before becoming my favorite series so far.

• Like 1