Current View

delv

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ndv i was happier than i expected to be with the color choice myself man. it's the navy blue colored paint i used on top of the primer, which i already took care of days ago. i think that darker shade will really look good accented by the black headset and bottom bracket i picked up for the bike.

i could've outsourced it to a powder coater somewhere...but there were already a lot of unexpected things that were costing me so i kept it simple and did it this way.

i have some true to the era vinyl decals that i'm going to put on, i think before i clearcoat with gloss...which i hope is the right choice.

applying vinyl decals before/after clearcoat, idk?

• Like 1
  • Props 1

17 minutes ago, nicklesndimes said:

@ndv i was happier than i expected to be with the color choice myself man. it's the navy blue colored paint i used on top of the primer, which i already took care of days ago. i think that darker shade will really look good accented by the black headset and bottom bracket i picked up for the bike.

i could've outsourced it to a powder coater somewhere...but there were already a lot of unexpected things that were costing me so i kept it simple and did it this way.

i have some true to the era vinyl decals that i'm going to put on, i think before i clearcoat with gloss...which i hope is the right choice.

applying vinyl decals before/after clearcoat, idk?

Ummm...  that's entirely your choice,  keep in mind vinyl has a chemical composition of chloride so the material gasses out naturally like all rubbers and plastics.  The UV rays from the sun accelerate this process not to memtion humindity levels fluctuating e.g. automobile trims and door seals. 

So basically what will happen overtime is the decal will start to shrink, become brindle and crack causing tension on your top coat (clear coat).  

If you really wanna go the painted logo route, then a stencil is your method.  DM and I can make you a few stencils.  I'll download the logos Monday so it will look OEM. 

Since you already spent the money on the decals, I understand if you wanna use them.  But put them on last. 

Your choice :)

Edited by ndv
  • Like 1
  • Props 3

the paint i used is just a satin classic navy, plain n simple. i'm stoked you like it. this is the actual can i used(in case you need it for color matching or something):b2d89f62-06bf-4037-bbb8-6172f7e9228f.359d7a3b124568d16223473ef531e4ca.webp.995cd0cd60c2a0c2b20a558357adfb69.webp

thanks for the insight on the vinyl decal application. had no idea you were so well versed in that subject. might have to seriously consider your point of them deteriorating over time and use.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, nicklesndimes said:

the paint i used is just a satin classic navy, plain n simple. i'm stoked you like it. this is the actual can i used(in case you need it for color matching or something):b2d89f62-06bf-4037-bbb8-6172f7e9228f.359d7a3b124568d16223473ef531e4ca.webp.995cd0cd60c2a0c2b20a558357adfb69.webp

thanks for the insight on the vinyl decal application. had no idea you were so well versed in that subject. might have to seriously consider your point of them deteriorating over time and use.

Thank you for the reference.   Just let me know on the stencils.  I'll need size, length and height. 

• Like 1
  • Props 1

@ndv can you give me more information on how the stencils would work?

are they sticky on the back or anything? b/c that crossbar is pretty thin, and a flimsy type of stencil probably wouldn't turn out.

again, you're awesome for doing this & i TOTALLY trust your judgement. as far as the dimensions, i can actually send you the decal i'm using as a reference?..

25 minutes ago, nicklesndimes said:

i have, i think, bmp files too.

Bit map works but requires some verctorizing (added work)  I have a source for vector files that are already ready to go. No issue there. If you want to send me the decals that's fine, but not necessary.  All you have to do is use a ruler or tape measure.

29 minutes ago, nicklesndimes said:

@ndv can you give me more information on how the stencils would work?

are they sticky on the back or anything? b/c that crossbar is pretty thin, and a flimsy type of stencil probably wouldn't turn out.

again, you're awesome for doing this & i TOTALLY trust your judgement. as far as the dimensions, i can actually send you the decal i'm using as a reference?..

So the material I use is medium tack so it will stick to your surface pretty well for what you're doing, the material is designed for this. It also holds up to sandblasting to a certain medium.  Easy to apply and pull off.  

• Like 1
  • Props 1

8 minutes ago, ndv said:

Bit map works but requires some verctorizing (added work)  I have a source for vector files that are already ready to go. No issue there. If you want to send me the decals that's fine, but not necessary.  All you have to do is use a ruler or tape measure.

actually i just finally checked...it's an EPS file?

2 hours ago, ndv said:

Ummm...  that's entirely your choice,  keep in mind vinyl has a chemical composition of chloride so the material gasses out naturally like all rubbers and plastics.  The UV rays from the sun accelerate this process not to memtion humindity levels fluctuating e.g. automobile trims and door seals. 

So basically what will happen overtime is the decal will start to shrink, become brindle and crack causing tension on your top coat (clear coat).  

image.gif.a4497e9d242cac58bb55a80663351034.gif

• Truth 1
  • LOL! 1