Alright guys, I'm sure we have a cooking thread somewhere, or maybe even a bbq thread somewhere.... but it's 2019, almost 2020 and it's time for something fresh.  Please share your favorite places to get bbq and/or other types of meats.  Whether it's a butcher shop you love, a local hole in the wall food joint you love, or a product you can buy at your local store.

@Fist 666mentioned he liked Texas Pete bbq sauce in another thread, and @Hua Guofanghad some experiences here in Austin, TX to speak about.  Recently, @Kultswas telling me about the Portuguese chicken that is common in his area, I had never heard of it.

I'd love to hear any drunk stories or sober stories, your bbq stories, and your favorite ways to cook.  Please share your recipes and whatever else you'd like to share.

• Like 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I commented in the gun thread, but Texas Pete is just a nice simple sauce (think Tabasco but good). I don't think you need to go out and buy a bottle, just if you see it at a spot give it a try. It's solid on eggs and potatoes.

I smoke some meat, not as much as I'd like to as most of my cooking is done in 45 minutes or less after an 11 or 12 hour day. Once in a while on a weekend I'll make the effort to do something special. I wanted to do ribs to thanksgiving but as our menu is democratically decided I'll be doing a pork loin instead. Not sure what yet, have a few days to decide. 

I'm a huge fan of the whole hog approach here in the Carolinas. You get all the fats, blood, and other meat juices coming right back into the meat. I think when you have your individual cuts (even if its something as big as pork butt) you miss out on a possible depth of flavor. The idea of doing a whole steer bbq seems improbably huge, and with the hair vs mostly hairless in hogs it would be a different sport anyways. 

• Like 1

You need to tag this thread nohomo.

image.thumb.png.34dc14fd21528f55b7113e536c7870e1.png

image.thumb.png.6d7603e48b08349b32e9e78fd21637dc.png

I love me some good Q, had it all over the country and have posted some of that over time.  Have had the discussion w/ a buddy that as much as there are some known and famous spots the great thing about BBQ is you can find some banging ass grub in some of the most obscure hole in the wall locations.  Was once somewhere, think it was that badly rundown  area of Indiana outside CHI, we found this nondescript BBQ spot, it was like buying crack.  I can say there was no hiding we weren't from the area so all eyes on us.  You just stepped into a small room and ordered through a small slot in bullet proof glass, passed your $ and took your ribs & shit.  But, it was some of the best I've had.  No idea the name of the place, not sure it was even on the building.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...

An electric grill is all that is possible for me at my current apartment, I have been considering it but am unsure if I would use it enough to justify the hassle. Some arrangements are better than others for cooking outdoors.

I would love to have a kitchen that was designed to step outside into an outdoor cooking and eating area, schlepping the goods inside and out can be a bore depending on the arrangement. 

• Like 1

All my hoa allows is electric. I’m lucky that a good friend how is this as a house warming gift. It’s a George foreman. Not the same as my Webber... but it’ll do. 

one of those indoor/outdoor kitchens would be very cool. Or even a backyard with an island that has sink & grill 

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...