Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dirty_habiT

How to "lay low".

I wanted to start this thread because of a discussion we're having among the leadership team of the forum concerning data privacy.  I do a few things that keep people from knowing who I am and where I am.  I will share these things with you all in hopes that they benefit you as they've benefited me.  I encourage anyone else to add their own thoughts here, and my hope is that we can start a discussion that is rich with information that will help others that wish to not leave too much of a trail around the world.  These aren't just tips for remaining anonymous online, but for remaining anonymous in the world.

I know this is going to be an important topic for some people, or already is.

•  Use a VPN when you're surfing the internet.  I cannot make any recommendations in regards to which VPN is best to use.  I use privateinternetaccess.com.  I've used it for ~8 years or so now.
  • People and businesses that you do not know/trust will ask you for your contact information frequently either online or in person.  It is ok to give them some information, but the last thing you want to do is give them your real phone number and your real address.
    • Phone number - I use a google voice number (voice.google.com) that forwards to my normal phone number.  I won't go into the details of setting that up, but it's pretty easy.  I will say that I don't think that this protects you against government trying to dig into your information but it can provide a layer of protection against spam callers.  Let's say you go to Best Buy, and they want your info for a promotional offer.  You give them your google number.  You have no history of receiving spam phone calls on your cell phone.  All of the sudden, seemingly out of nowhere, the next day you start getting hit up on your google number with spam callers over and over.  This would be a decent indication that Best Buy sold your info to someone that is less than savory.  If you're the kind of person that likes to call numbers back, then I wouldn't suggest doing it from your normal phone line as calling certain "systems" will automatically enter the number being called from into the "spam this person" database they keep.  I am not sure if *67 still works in today's age.  If it does, use it.
    • Address - This is going to cost you money but it will be worth it.  Get a P.O. Box, you can get the smallest one.  Ship all of your packages here and sign up all your Best Buy promotions to your P.O. Box rather than giving out your real address.  Most online companies will NOT ship to a P.O. Box, but the trick I'm going to tell you gets around that.  All you have to do is instead of entering your address like:

Dirty Habit
      PO Box 123151234
      Austin, TX 12345

You find out the exact physical street address of your Post Office where your box is located, and use your box number as an apartment/unit number, like so:

Dirty Habit
      123 Main St. #123151234
      Austin, TX 12345

The second address will get things delivered to your P.O. Box and it will not flag as a POBox address on the validation checkers on online websites.  I've got FedEx, UPS, and every other shipping service possible to mail to this address without a blink.  The other benefit is that you should be getting less snail spam mail in your normal mail box at your house if you give everyone your P.O. Box.  Packages that are too large to fit in your P.O. Box will be held for you until you can pick them up or placed in a larger package mail box with a key left inside your P.O Box.  Most Post Offices are well lit and open 24h a day so you can show up and get your packages any time.  Bonus is that during normal business hours while you're at work, there is ALWAYS someone at the Post Office to sign for packages for you.  Your package, also, will never be stolen off your front door step and there's a very very low chance that your package will be given to the wrong person if it's in control of the Postal Workers.
  • You can register your "home address" to the P.O. Box on your driver's license.  I am unsure of the legalities of this, but I always imagined it'd be kinda funny if cops showed up to serve a warrant only to learn that they showed up to the Post Office.  Of course they'd be able to track you down anyway, but again.... this allows you mobility to live where ever you want and have a stable location to pick up your mail.... no matter what.

This is all I've got for now.  If I think of more I will add it.  Please add your own tips here as well.

• Like 2

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

For people who, for whatever reason (for instance, you have a work mobile phone/laptop, etc.), cannot do away with using a credit/debit card or covering up their computer behaviour by way of technology (in some countries you will attract attention by trying to hide), you can do a lot to confuse the data sets that are collected from you. If you have a partner of the opposite sex, swap your laptop/phone with them for a couple of days a week a their search history, location data and other points will confuse the data that is collected. (you can always do your own crazy searches as well)

If you're tight enough with some one and you both use cashless transactions a lot, swap your cards over for a couple of days a month, but be random about it, don't follow a pattern, such as the last week of each month. Of course, use cash and card sporadically, if possible.

Do not use Facebook, Instagram or Wechat.

Do not join loyalty programs, especially with grocery stores. Each item you purchase is a decision you've made, which is a data point. A full trolly of items can be up to 100 data points that are linked to your loyalty account and then cross referenced with you credit/debit card, if you use one. (there's a lot of stuff published about this if you're interested)

Limit your use of apps on your elec devices, if you can use none, all the better. Know your settings on your phone, turn off all tracking for geolocation and web use, but still don't trust those settings. (An Australian govt dept is sueing Google for continuing to track Android users even when they'd turn their settings to private)

As discussed in other threads, use search engines like DuckDuckGo, use browsers such as Brave (be aware, this is still a Chromium product) and keep in mind that if your device itself is compromised (unlikely, but who knows what you get up to, you little rascals!), no amount of encryption will help - think key loggers, screen grabs, etc.

I'll do a whole other post on facial recognistion and biometrics when I get the chance.

• Props 1

Cash is king, baby. 

to piggyback on what @Hua Guofang is saying about the grocery store member cards — find out the local area code and use the phone number from the song, 867-5309 

only in the US I guess

ive used this a bunch of times and it always works. Someone is always trying to be cute lol.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KILZ FILLZ said:

Cash is king, baby. 

to piggyback on what @Hua Guofang is saying about the grocery store member cards — find out the local area code and use the phone number from the song, 867-5309 

only in the US I guess

ive used this a bunch of times and it always works. Someone is always trying to be cute lol.

When I was being a vape lord a few months back (I quite, yay me).... the rewards program at the shop required a phone number.  I gave them 512-911-XXXX as my number w/ the X's being the last 4 of my normal phone number.  This was very easy for me to remember.... and very dumb for any automated system to call.

On 11/22/2019 at 10:17 AM, misteraven said:

yes, interested.

I had to wait for the report to be published, but here is the most authoritative source on the matter:

https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/advertising-promotions/customer-loyalty-schemes

Here's an article on it:

Mr Sims said that some consumers would be "shocked" to learn that Coles' flybuys and Woolworths' Rewards scheme automatically link their loyalty accounts with their bank's cards, and can track their spending even when they do not present their loyalty card at the checkout.

https://www.theage.com.au/business/companies/risk-of-real-consumer-harm-accc-sends-warning-on-loyalty-schemes-20191203-p53gb1.html

• Props 1

On 11/21/2019 at 4:15 PM, Hua Guofang said:

I'll do a whole other post on facial recognistion and biometrics when I get the chance.

Will be following.   I think the most secure biometrics is palm vein recognition.   Hitachi developed the tech years ago.   Not cheap but by far more secure than facial, fingerprint, or retinal.   

Now I am debating...  biometric system for my computer or bowflex dumbells?   

I am thinking the dumbells,  work on my biometrics and unlock panties.   

Anyhow...