Backpacking, Hiking, Camping, Hunting, Fishing, Off-Roading -•- all things nature lover thread

KILZ FILLZ

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • 1 month later...

Damn, missed this thread so bumping it.

If I had big money, more than a bit would be spent at places like REI. I'm personally fascinated by all this sort of stuff and how you're able to mix and match different kit into an awesome custom solution tailored to the individual. So much cool tech and insight goes into reducing the size and weight that its hard to now want to just buy it cause it just looks so freakin cool. Anyhow, have a lot of this sort of thing myself and enjoy tinkering with it and seeing how well it all works and refining my kit.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, misteraven said:

Was just talking to my son yesterday about trying to get out a bunch when the weather is decent. Really need to find time to get out from behind a computer.

Y’all sure as shit have the scenery for it. Hope that time finds you soon bro. Sometimes i feel like i go hiking less based off of what my area lacks in scenery. Ever since i moved back to New England after living in the PNW I haven’t had as much drive to hit nature because its just not as rad looking lol. Just like eating Mexican food on the east coast is damn near worthless if you’ve been to say San Diego. 

• Like 1

I just looked that chair up and it looks almost identical to REI...... and I've noticed this before.  REI branded products very closely resemble other high falootin brands that they sell.  I think they've done a really good job of seeing how other brands make things and then copying them and selling theirs at a slightly lesser price without much (if any) compromise on quality.  Not all of their stuff is in my camping kit, but I do have quite a few things from them.

My favorite bags are Osprey.  We have 2x backpacking bags from them, my every day backpack is an Osprey Pixel (I don't think they sell it anymore), and my gf's everyday bag is an Osprey flap Jill.  She also has the Osprey x Troy Lee Designs fanny pack/hydration bag that we use when we go trail riding on the dirt bikes.

• Like 1

Everyone should have a JetBoil, they're the bee's knee's. I've had alot of good luck with Kelty Packs over the years (granted they've given me alot of free stuff for photos years ago). But I have a few Kelty's and a few from Teton Sports which are great too. And 1 from REI.

Picture is from a night at the top of the tree-line on Mount Rainier after a climb

P2289080.jpg

• Like 2

Yep +1 for Jet Boil.  I have one and it's like ridiculously bad ass at boiling water quickly.

We found https://www.theyummylife.com/Backpacking_Food a few years back and have tried several of her recipes for camping meals.  I have to say she definitely knows how to make some good stuff that you just add water to.  I'd highly recommend any of you backpacker guys check it out.

I'd also love to hear what you guys make for camping meals.  The biggest challenge with primitive camping for us is carrying liquids.  We recently bought a life straw but haven't been out in the woods far enough to use it yet.  My idea is that we'll walk far enough in to where there's some running water and just use the water out of the stream to cook with instead of carrying the weight of liquids with us.

What do you guys filter water with? @WorldBench@MitchThe$nitch

@Dirty_habiTIn the winter on mountains I just melt snow, or cook it on the jet boil if we're waiting for a long time. Typically if I am climbing I just pack snow in a water bottle and throw it in my jacket to melt. Otherwise it's a LifeStraw Water filter or Gravity Bag (depending how much is needed) or a MSR MiniWorks. Also the Sawyer Squeeze is good too. Iodine Tablets are always good to have with you too just in case.

For back packing food prior to my allergies I would pack a lot of Granola Bars, Cliff Bars, Trail Mix type stuff. But for camping food at actual camp man there's a plethora of ideas. Instant Potatoes/Rice are great and lightweight options and heavy/filling. Ramen/Cup of Noodles. Dehydrated fruits and meats for multidays. Tuna/Chicken packets are great and cheap. I used to get MRE's or those packaged meals at REI or Sport Stores but they're hella expensive and you can pretty much make your own.

When I go on a trek I always look to ensure there is a water way atleast somewhere. I hate carrying tons of water and it's heavy. Many trails these days have youtube reviews and you can get an idea at what mile point they are and what seasons theyre running. Atleast for the ones I have looked at over the last couple years. For instance I am looking into the Ozark National Forest and the Ouachita National Forest and there happens to be alot of information on youtube, reddit and forums for it.

Someone else maybe able to piggy back off this with better knowledge or articulation.

Alot of cheap gear can be found on SteepandCheap and SierraTradingPost, I also use Poshmark and Ebay. I get name brand gear for 75% off and wont ever pay fullprice for it.

My typical Winter/Spring/Fall pack

• Black Diamond Hiking Poles
  • Black Diamond Ice Axe
  • Kahtoolah K10 Crampons
  • Lifeline Snow Shovel
  • Black Diamond Helmet (depending on what I am doing)
  • Black Diamond Headlamp
  • 2x Plastic Nalgene Bottles, or Hydroflask, or other bottle depending
  • USGI Military Poncho or USGI Goretex Liner
  • Tent (depending on where we're staying)
  • USGI Military Poncho Liner
  • Mountain Hardwear Lamina Z  Torch Sleeping Bag or USGI Military Sleep System (depending)
  • Pocket Knife & Belt Knife (typically Kershaw Cryo 2 & Ontario 499 Knife)
  • Hatchet (Typically a Schrade SCAXE2)
  • Survival Tin (space blanket, waterproof matches, etc)
  • Trash Bag(s)
  • Goretex Jacket/Rain Jacket (depending)
  • Down/Insulated Puffy Jacket
  • Fleece Base Layer
  • Polypro Pants and Shirt
  • Extra Socks & Underwear
  • Streamlight Pen Flashlight
  • Firestick of some sort

I am sure there is some more stuff but that's the basics

P101195750.jpg

Edited by WorldBench
  • Like 2
  • Props 2

Damn, I need to get out and do some proper adventure trips again with some hiking

Not sure if these count for this thread, but hot summer & young kids mean most of my recent camping trips have been family friendly ones 4x4ing up and down the coast finding decent spots to set up for a few days for fishing & diving

8.jpg

7.jpg

6.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

• Like 5
  • Props 3

@aimer- that counts.  Anything that doesn't involve sitting in the house or doing work around the house you always stay in counts IMO.  There are plenty of close state parks around me that still take a lot of planning to do a weekend at.

@WorldBench- thank you for posting all that stuff, it's going to take me a minute to get through it and digest it.  I will likely make a similar post outlining the equipment we use for camping and ask for you guys' suggestions on changes that could be made.

One challenge I consistently have is, despite buying very lightweight stuff, it always seems like our stuff is still heavy.  I really wonder how people do the Appalachian trail after trying primitive camping several times.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Im not a huge ‘planner’ when it comes to vacations/trips especially camping n shit.  As long as I have a start and end point I’ll figure the rest out as I go. 

but we are planning another cross country camp trip most likely end of July/begin of august. Normally we just throw everything in the car and jam  out bit this one is gonna require a slight more planning. 

we are flying back to Vegas to get the dogs and hopefully my daughter will be able to meet us in Vegas and roll along. We plan on upgrading our camp stuff this year so we though about once we land in Vegas to gear up with whatever we didn’t pack up and fly with. Def upgrading the tent. Sleep bags. We have some cook equipment that we left in Vegas. I don’t think my kid has been tent camping and I haven’t really been able to spend time with her so I hope she can go. She’s a lil city girl now so this is gonna be great hahaha 

We are aiming for North Platte. (Departing from Las Vegas)  We have a fav campsite up round there that we will spend a few days at. Then cut across to Pittsburgh. But we’ll probably make one stop before that, for one night. 

A9BED85C-7D70-4F16-AE71-F7BA0A77DBBE.thumb.jpeg.b0af66e6a083030dffb8c235ac1f6e93.jpeg

Normally when I drive across country I always shot the 15 up to my home town in Utah which is directly along one of these routes. I ain’t trying to fuckin visit n stop by a bunch of people. So I’m gonna x the middle route out. Which means going up through Utah into Wyoming or cuttin through Colorado.  

wouldnt camping in Wyoming be a lil more windy? It’s the one weather I loathe 

I haven’t really been good at finding off the grid camp spots and am open to suggestions. 
We’ve never reserved a spot prior to entering but our last few times out-that factor added a slight level of difficulty and some minor frustration and am wondering if it’s worth it. 

• Like 2
  • Props 1