The more and more the automobile industry heads toward entire electric lineups, Houston is going to be a very different city.  I guess some could argue Houston is the new Detroit.  Of course there's the medical industry here but that's not enough to sustain the cities sole industry provider.  It's kind of crazy to think about, in this city you really can't talk about energy issues here because 1. you get laughed at or 2. ignorance is bliss.  But the truth is, and regardless of the environmental impact renewables or battery/power cell manufacturing plays, O&G is still loosing the race of the future.  3. Argument is batteries are expensive.  This is true, for now, but the more produced the cheaper these batteries will become plus the shelf life, which will bring on all kinds of sales to get great deals.

There's change on the horizon and most of this is energy changes that will impact Houston very heavily that IMO I think one of the ways Houston Energy Industry has a future is these O&G Companies need to start acting like Silicon Tech companies and start buying up these startups and/or mature companies that are/have pioneered renewables/electrifications.   If they haven't already done so.  One would think, this is happening and has been for some time.  For example; GE has been buying companies left and right but unfortunately GE was purchasing duds.  So for every negative there's got to be a positive, and maybe Halliburton, Schlumberger, Shell, Exxon may be buying what I am talking about.  

But yeah, I honestly believe "Houston we've got a problem" is going to be a cliché of it's worst kind in regards to Houston's ignorance to energy change and how aloof most act towards other energy avenues.  But don't get me wrong, Houston will still be ok, because there's always going to be a need for oil (lubrications) and such, + I think Gas (LNG) is the superior route for heating and cooking which still can be used for power (back up generators and such). 

@KILZ FILLZ it's interesting how all of these automobile companies are pretty much turning off the lights on the combustion engine  in a few years time.  Rolls, Lamborghini, Ferrari, Ford, Volvo, and a few others have either made full line up commitments or at least semi commitment to offering electric powered vehicles.  

On another note, I have read about some Prius owners using there vehicles as generators via some type of converter of some sort.   Some have powered appliances during outages.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
1 hour ago, KILZ FILLZ said:

@ndvthey are switching because they are forecasting consumer demand. And they want the EV credits. Tesla operates at a loss, and sells each of their cars at a loss, until they sell their EV credits to other auto mfg. 

Local news mentioned this the other day. 

I find the tactic pretty cool.  I kinda laughed at all the other auto companies. 

• 3 months later...
17 minutes ago, Dark_Knight said:

^^ Mannnn I heard they unveiled that thing today and not a damn person cared.

Very uninteresting tbh, just my opinion.  If you love Ford and electric vehicles and "consumer" trucks, then this thing is probably fantastic.

It probably has one of those fagatron $3000 tailgates on it that has a cane, 3 steps that fold out automatically, a place to cool your six pack of cures lyte at night time, and an espresso machine for the morning.

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

11 hours ago, Dark_Knight said:

I like it. I would never need a truck for more than hauling equipment, so that would be ideal. Considering it when it comes out. Want more concrete specs.

Short'ish commutes hauling stuff is probably it's exact intended purpose.

There were people doing some tests with a tesla model x towing..... they loved how it towed but it just fucked the range off really badly going through the mountains w/ a load.  I mean, the same thing happens to a IC engine burning fuel.... it consumes more on a grade and/or w/ a load.

Just bad to shorten an already short range.

My prediction is that we're going to see powerplants in vehicles that are like what trains use.  A diesel (or otherwise) motor acting as a generator that powers electric motors.  Reasoning behind this is huge range capability and smoothness/torque of electric motors.  It's really the best of both worlds IMO.

• Like 1
  • Truth 1

... and i think all this electric vehicle excitement that is being pressed upon people is them just hashing out part of a consumer grade system that could be capable of doing such things.  We already know how to run diesel motors on a generator head to make electricity, but packaging this into a commuter vehicle and still getting serviceability and reliability out of it is the challenge.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
7 minutes ago, mr.yuck said:

I wonder if I can get an 83 cutlass brougham retro fitted to be electric…

There are independent ev conversion shops you'll have to do some searching and research.  But here's one in Atlanta that promises they can convert any vehicle.  But, if I remember correctly, there is a guy in Cali or he maybe in Arizona.  Anyhow, he converts cars to evs.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...