This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

So I did a quick scan of the thread, how is it that the Hyper Car Porche 918 Spyder is more efficient than a Toyota Prius?

Used-2015-Porsche-918-Spyder-Weissach-PTS-Grey-Black-RARE-1-of-1.thumb.jpg.1be9966613f6891be8de604bf6943382.jpg

Now, I'm going to keep it short.  I don't think we are quite there yet with having a 100% electric car that can provide a long mile range.  This beast is dominating at 420mile range and it's super flexible. 

Combining gas, electricity, and wind, will always have the better outcome. Mshiet, add some diesel somewhere in there and guess what? Mars bitches, to there and back.

Pwned.

Edited by T4M*
  • Props 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/25/2020 at 5:57 AM, T4M* said:

So I did a quick scan of the thread, how is it that the Hyper Car Porche 918 Spyder is more efficient than a Toyota Prius?

I can tell you how.  A motor becomes more efficient the closer to "race car" it gets.  The fastest cars in the world and the heaviest hauling diesels in the world are "efficient" when compared to the engines used in commuter vehicles.  I don't think the Porsche's ICE is using the Atkinson cycle either, which is the Prius's main selling point.... a "more efficient" engine cycle.  The point is, a Prius is the furthest thing from "race car" possible even with it's 20 ft/lb of torque on demand from the electric motor or whatever it is.

All it takes to "be more efficient" than any hybrid is a set of big cams, high compression, excellent cylinder head design, excellent temperature management, etc.  This is not the selling point of nearly any hybrid that is sold today.... their selling points are "be green" and "save money".... which is funny because efficiency does save money.  I think they're only more efficient than older cars from the 90s.  Newer direct injection engines with 2x spark plugs per cylinder have no problem using up the available fuel injected to completion.  Also, when you combine that with things like "variable displacement" (nissan motor) and "variable valve timing" and "variable length intake runners".... you end up with a very efficient ICE..... and that's exactly what F1 uses.

I'm not a huge fan of Audi, but check out some of the tech they use in their modern TDI race cars.  Makes the "high tech" of electric cars seem like banging two rocks together to make sparks vs having a tesla coil.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2020 at 6:53 PM, KILZ FILLZ said:

Sunday night I was chilling w a bud who has a Nissan Leaf

40 mile range

how the fuck does anyone in CA live with that? Everything is highway! 30 min here, 30 min there. 

Don't forget that range is severely decreased when hills are involved.  Also, when there's "no traffic" it's been proven in ICEs that traveling above a certain mph starts decreasing mpg by an exponential number.  This means if your hipster electric/hybrid car isn't fuckin bad ass at getting through the wind then it gets shit range once the mph gets high enough.  So like, you probably can't do 40 miles at 85mph.... and that's not a huge turnoff for most people that would buy a car like that because they drive like snacky cakes.

I learned about this concept by going to the Texas Mile race and talking with the car owners there.  Here's an example, and I'll just use Ford GT's.  This is hypothetical in terms of the numbers used but the concept is true.

500hp Ford GT -> perfect launch -> perfect gear shifting -> @ 1 mile reaches -> 160mph

1000hp Ford GT -> perfect launch -> perfect gear shifting -> @ 1 mile reaches -> 172mph

Why is it that it took double the HP to do 12mph more than the other car?  The answer is because of drag coefficient.  Even though the two cars are shaped exactly the same, the wind acts upon them exponentially more as speed goes up.  This is why if your hybrid car or electric car is shaped like a brick (which teslas are not) then it's working directly against the idea of getting long range. 

This is also why you see all the "trailer skirts" and "aero mods" on 18 wheelers.  Those guys are literally trying to squeeze 1% fuel efficiency out of an entire fleet of trucks because it's worth millions to do so over the life of the truck.

4 hours ago, Dirty_habiT said:

Newer direct injection engines with 2x spark plugs per cylinder have no problem using up the available fuel injected to completion. 

I can't remember what car I was looking at that explained this, in one of the top gear's episodes, thought that was pretty cool. Makes sense.  I read up that a Turbo is more efficient than a super charger when comparing fuel ratios and such. Would of loved having a turbo on my car, but I saw someone put a V8 with working gauges and thought that was sick!

Anywho, so now VW is stepping it's game up...

I rrrreaaaalllllyyyy hate that electric noise.  Imagine a tiny violin playing the highest note next to you eardrum, Fuck!

@T4M*- I watched the I.D. R race on Pike's Peak last year I think it was..... maybe it was the year before.... I also got to talk to the VW team at the Fan Fest in downtown Colorado Springs and look all inside the car.  They have the Pike's Peak race cars parked down there at the fan fest and the race teams are always happy to talk to anyone that has questions or comments.  They'll usually let you sit in the cars and look at everything about how they're built.

I highly recommend going to that race.  I already have my camping permit for this coming June and will be making the trip up there for the 10th year in a row.

5 hours ago, T4M* said:

All I saw was a Hot Rod Dirt Race, Truck show, and the Grind Life <--(looks koo, new experience) at the Pike Peaks (easy 9.5 hour drive)

Unless you got some link that's more detailed on upcoming events, the one I found was vague .

@Dirty_habiT

PPIHC.com is where you can buy tickets and camping permits. Lmk if you're going to buy camping permits and I'll share with you which cove we camp in. There are about six different spots to camp. 

• Props 1

21 hours ago, Dirty_habiT said:

PPIHC.com is where you can buy tickets and camping permits. Lmk if you're going to buy camping permits and I'll share with you which cove we camp in. There are about six different spots to camp. 

Will do.  I do want an excuse just to go to Colorado for the weekend. Last year I went to the Garden of the Gods and had a blast there.

Just need to budget and plan it with people.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

2 hours ago, Dirty_habiT said:

That is so much fucking cooler than anything Elon has made IMO and I'm not even a "Ford guy".  I'm excited to see what will happen w/ electrics and hybrids but I'm going to continue my pearl clutching w/ gasoline/diesel engines.

Other than not being a Ford guy, same 

GM and Honda agree to jointly produce EVs

David Wagman | April 03, 2020

General Motors and Honda said they will jointly develop two electric vehicles for Honda, based on GM's global EV platform powered by its Ultium batteries. The exteriors and interiors of the new EVs will be designed by Honda, and the platform will be engineered to support Honda's driving character.

Vehicles will be manufactured at GM plants in North America, according to a statement. Sales are expected to begin in the 2024 model year in Honda's U.S. and Canadian markets.

GM and Honda have an ongoing relationship around electrification. This includes work on fuel cells and the Cruise Origin, an electric, self-driving and shared vehicle. Honda joined GM's battery module development efforts in 2018.

honda.jpgThe automaker said that discussions are underway with one additional party that could join the partnership.

As part of the agreement, Honda will incorporate GM's OnStar safety and security services into the two EVs, integrating them with HondaLink. Additionally, Honda plans to make GM's hands-free advanced driver-assist technology available.

Platform and batteries

In early March, GM rolled out its modular EV platform and Ultium batteries. The automaker said it planned 19 different battery and drive unit configurations, including horizontal and vertical stacks, to power a range of vehicle types.

General Motors and Honda said they will jointly develop two electric vehicles for Honda, based on GM's global EV platform powered by its Ultium batteries. Credit: GMGeneral Motors and Honda said they will jointly develop two electric vehicles for Honda, based on GM's global EV platform powered by its Ultium batteries. Credit: GMThe EV battery cells will be produced at a $2.3 billion joint-venture plant that GM and LG Chem plan to build in Lordstown, Ohio. Site assessments and the permitting process for the plant have begun, and groundbreaking is expected this spring.

The Ultium battery system is based on a newly developed chemistry for lithium-ion cells that is intended to reduce battery cost and improve performance. EVs typically make use of an NMC chemistry that is made up of nickel, manganese and cobalt coatings on the cathodes.

The Ultium cells add aluminum to the chemistry, enabling the cobalt content to be reduced by 70%.