Simple Living / Minimalism - trimming the fat

KILZ FILLZ

Moving again. Filtering out all the extra shit that I somehow accumulated since the last move.

I’m going to try something I heard about a while ago called The Packing Party. It’s got a dumb name but I like the concept. Basically what you do is only unpack things as you need them. 

The idea is that a month or two after your move you’ll still have a good amount of unopened boxes that hold all the unnecessary shit you’ve got. what’s left can go to Goodwill and if you’re brave you don’t open the boxes to see what’s inside before dropping them off. 

There’s another one of these exercises I’ve done in the past doesn’t have a name that I know of. It’s real easy though. It’s for filtering all the shit you got hanging in your closet. What you do it turn all the hangers around so the hooks are facing you. As you pull something, wear it, wash it and return it to the closet, you hang it normally with the hook facing away from you. You keep this up for as long as you like, a few months or longer. After that time very thing that shrill has the hanger reversed with the hook facing towards you is excess and can be shed. You don’t care enough about it to wear it so why hang on to it? Goodwill. 

Another I’ve heard of but never tried is called the 30 Day Challenge or Minimalism Game. Sounds great for clearing out junk drawers. This one takes a month but if you and a friend are both doing it you see who can last longer. Day 1 of the month you donate or throw away one item. It can be anything, even a paper clip. Day 2 you get rid of two items. Day 3 you shed three items and so on and so forth. Pretty quickly all the easy items are gone and you’re making some tougher decisions on stays and what goes. By day 30 you are shedding 30 items. You can see how quickly this thing snowballs. 

Packing party :

https://www.theminimalists.com/packing/

30 day :

https://www.theminimalists.com/game/

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Interesting ideas. 

I’ve been getting surprisingly better at throwing things away or donating as i’ve gotten older. I’ve moved to and from 4 different cities in the past 2 years and each time i acquire shit, but then i end up getting rid of shit before i move. Sometimes i try to sell it but in the end i’ll just throw it up for free on craigslist or for super cheap and it’s usually swooped up real quick. 

My parents were sort of pack rats growing up, so i had some habit breaking to do. They recently moved from their home and i had to help in the move and found all sorts of clothing i hadn’t worn since i was like 16  and all sorts of shit like Oregon Trail CDs in boxes. It all got donated. 

• Like 1

I am way too into collecting to follow a minimalist lifestyle, but I try to embrace it in a couple aspects. 

Clothing-- I own about 1.5 weeks worth of clothing , with some seasonal variation. 

In everything I try to buy durable, quality goods. IE Quality tools (nothing from harbor freight) or red wing work boots. 

• Truth 1
  • Props 1

I have way too much shit but I don't think I'm going to get rid of any of it.  I don't move often and I'm fine being a pack rat as long as I have space to keep my shit.

I have currently in mitsubishi car parts:

6x spare engine blocks.

5x spare cylinder heads.

8x spare transmissions in various configs, auto, awd, fwd, 1g and 2g.

5x spare turbo chargers that are not little baby dick oem turbos.

1x extra 1g awd chassis.

That's just the big stuff.  I can't get rid of it because those are going to keep my "classic" Japanese/American made car running for a very long time into the future.

Good luck with the slimming down, my solution is to get more space.  I'm going to buy land so I can have a shop w/ a 2 post lift and then holding onto all this stuff for so long will be 100% justified.

I should get rid of some clothes I don't wear though.  I recently bought 5x nice button up long sleeve shirts.... haven't worn one of them yet, and it's been 2 months since I got them lol.

• Props 1

@KILZ FILLZ

1989 Dodge Colt GT

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

1991 Eagle Talon TSi FWD <--- this is the one I've got the most go fast shit on.  76mm compressor on the turbo @ 32psi.  1000cc injectors, Quaife LSD, etc etc etc...  Makes your face feel like it wants to peel off from the holes in the front of it where your nostrils, eyes, and mouth are....

We (my gf and I) also have:

1995 BMW 540i - 4.0L v8 w/ 6 speed manual transmission.

1999 BMW 528i w/ Active Autowerke flash on it for +15 ft/lb torque + Yakima rack for bikes and kayaks.

1999 GMC K1500 Suburban (4WD) - stock.... towing vehicle.

2000 Honda Civic EX that has a turbo added to it (D16Y8 motor) controlled by a V2 AEM EMS.

2001 Lexus IS300 that I turbo'd the stock engine on.

I need to downsize some shit

500+ graffiti magazines

100 and counting graffiti books

about 18 albums of photos plus several shoeboxes of photos.

loads of unused paint

Plus being a chubbo i have the '"holding on to these in case I lose enough weight to fit them" clothing rack.

My wife and I are also terrible at throwing paper out. if it's got a kid's drawing on it 30 seconds later they'll want it and all hell will break loose.

I try to make sure that every time I leave the house I take something to the recycling. but even the recycling is problematic.

I get 10cents back for containers but it's a pain to to go to the depot for just a few so I have big bins in the shed overflowing with bottles etc. I must be up to about $40.00 by now.

that minimalist game sounds excellent might float it with the wife and see how we can go with it.

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

i dumped a ton of shit a while back doing the marie kondo thing.

I really like the idea of getting my clothes down to something as simple as the same 7 shirts and pants each day. 

Before my current pair of shoes, i bought the same pair of shoes 5-6 times.

Most of the reason comes from not trying to solve the same problem and over. 

There is a lot I haven't been able to part with. hobbies make that mindset difficult but i still work towards it. 

i'll take a look at the links tomorrow. 

• Props 1

• 1 month later...