War in the middle east and intervention debate

Hua Guofang

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Eats at me that we, as a society, actually spend time nutting this kind of shit out, for whatever reason.

Gotta say though, the top pic looks very super imposy.

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2019/oct/28/white-houses-photo-trump-during-baghdadi-r/

No evidence photo of Trump watching Baghdadi raid was staged

By Daniel Funke, Louis Jacobson on Monday, October 28th, 2019 at 6:13 p.m.

In this image released by the White House, President Donald Trump is joined by Vice President Mike Pence, second from left, and national security officials in the Situation Room of the White House on Oct. 26, 2019. (AP)
In this image released by the White House, President Donald Trump is joined by Vice President Mike Pence, second from left, and national security officials in the Situation Room of the White House on Oct. 26, 2019. (AP)

A photo of President Donald Trump and national security officials watching the raid that resulted in the death of Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi caused an immediate stir online.

The image, which shows Trump flanked by Vice President Mike Pence, National Security Adviser Robert O’Brien, Secretary of Defense Mark Esper and Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Gen. Mark Milley in the Situation Room of the White House, was billed as being taken during the raid. Al-Baghdadi, the leader of the Islamic State, died after American forces stormed his compound in northwestern Syria on Oct. 26.

But some on social media initially doubted the context of the White House’s photo, which bears a similarity to a now-famous image during the 2011 raid on Osama bin Laden’s compound in Pakistan.

"The raid, as reported, took place at 3:30PM Washington time. The photo, as shown in the camera IPTC data, was taken at ‘17:05:24,’" tweeted Pete Souza, the former chief White House photographer under President Barack Obama who took the bin Laden raid photo. Souza’s post was retweeted more than 20,000 times.

AP_16191769445111.jpg

President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden, along with with members of the national security team, receive an update on the mission against Osama bin Laden in the Situation Room of the White House in Washington. (The White House via AP)

We could not find any reporting to suggest the raid started at 3:30 p.m. We reached out to Souza for more information about the source of his tweet, but we haven’t heard back.

In a follow-up tweet, however, Souza said he wasn’t claiming the photo of Trump and his advisers was staged.

"Trump himself said he didn't arrive to the Situation Room until ‘around 5pm,’" he said in the later tweet. "So it's definitely possible the photo was taken during the raid." Souza later tweeted about subsequent reporting that cast doubt on his initial speculation.

PolitiFact investigated the context of the viral image of Trump watching the Baghdadi raid. All the evidence now available suggests the image was taken around 5 p.m. Washington time, while the operation was still underway. The operation was not underway at 3:30 p.m., as Souza originally suggested. 

The photo

In his second round of tweeting, Souza said the photo of Trump and his advisers was taken a little after 5 p.m. EST. He’s right about that.

Using a visual analysis tool called FotoForensics, we confirmed that the image was taken around 5:06 p.m. using a SONY ILCE-9 camera. The photo’s metadata also indicates that someone edited the photo using Photoshop Lightroom at 8:55 p.m. (Metadata on photos can be wrong, such as when the time on the camera isn’t set accurately, but we have no reason to think that was the case here.)

The White House uploaded the photo to its Flickr account Oct. 27. Dan Scavino, director of social media for the White House, tweeted it that morning.

The timeline

So the image of Trump watching the Baghdadi raid was taken shortly after 5 p.m on Oct 26. This means there’s no evidence the photo was staged — it was taken while the raid was still in progress.

RELATED: Setting the record straight: When did the U.S. free Islamic State leader?

To place the image in context, PolitiFact reconstructed a timeline of the raid based on government and media accounts. All times are Eastern (Washington time).

Saturday 10:34 a.m.: President Trump flies from Camp David to Trump National Golf Club in Potomac Falls, Va., according to the White House press pool report.

10:55 a.m.: Trump lands at Trump National Golf Club, according to the pool report.

3:33 p.m.: Trump motorcade begins return trip to White House, according to the pool report.

4:18 p.m.: Trump arrives at the White House, according to the pool report.

About 5:00 p.m.: Trump goes into the White House Situation Room with other senior officials, according to Trump’s statement and Reuters reporting.

About 5:00 p.m.: Helicopters take off to begin the raid, according to the New York Times. Trump later said in his statement that "we gathered more or less at 5 p.m. The attack started moments after that." That claim is consistent with other reports.

5:06 p.m.: The Situation Room photograph is taken, according to the image’s metadata.

About 6:10 p.m.: Helicopters touch down at Baghdadi complex, according to the New York Times.

About 7:15 p.m.: Baghdadi is confirmed dead on the ground, according to the New York Times.

8:55 p.m.: The image is edited, with changes apparently made to the lighting.

9:23 p.m.: Trump cryptically tweets, "Something very big has just happened!"

Sunday 8:45 a.m.: Trump addresses the nation to announce details of the raid.

Sunday 9:44 a.m.: Scavino tweets the Situation Room photograph.

If Trump’s statement and the reporting of Reuters and the Times are accurate, then the photograph of Trump and his advisers watching the Baghdadi raid was taken in real time. 

The White House did not respond to a request for comment.

8 hours ago, abrasivesaint said:

Kults out here just deleting posts that don’t agree with his now. 

This is the second time I've seen that you were unhappy about a perceived bias.  I assure you, even though we have our own views, as the moderation team we have a duty to be fair to everyone here.  The rules are pretty loose here and I wouldn't think about, even for a second, trying to silence or censor anything you or anyone else is saying whether it agrees with what I think or not.  I'm not a graffiti authority, and I'm not sure that anyone else on the mod team is either (that I know of, maybe they are :)).  I'm literally here for computer tech support purposes and helping to make sure this place stays running smoothly.  We're here to assist @misteravenwith what he needs/wants help with, and I promise that the goal is not to slow or stop discussion on certain angles of any subject.

Please feel free to continue voicing your opinions as you see fit.  I will personally make a point to ensure I'm not doing anything to keep you from feeling ok with doing this.  My opinions stand in stark contrast to many peoples' here, and it'd be upsetting if this felt like another facebook/google/youtube/etc..... that's not what it's about here.  I hope you can see that, and I hope you continue to derive enjoyment from sharing this awesome place with the people here.

• Like 1

I haven’t had an issue with anyone except that dude. He’s deleting comments to purposefully make it look like i’m just stirring shit up. All the while saying more snide shit than i am. 

I figured out how to ignore him. I’m assuming he can still see whatever i’m saying being a moderator and all,

so he can have fun. 

I’m over it. 

• Like 1

Well I hope that the conversation can continue about the subject this thread was started on.

I don't know any of you well enough to dislike you as a person.  I bet anyone on this site, even with a polar opposite opinion of mine, would be fine to hang out with IRL..... unless they've been around too much of that rusto chrome w/ no mask on.

• Like 1

ᴅʀ ʜ.ᴀ. ʜᴇʟʟʏᴇʀVerified account @hahellyer 1h1 hour ago

Dating the outbreak of extremist Islamism to the Western invasion of Iraq is tempting; but historically inaccurate, and centres the West *too much* as the source of upheaval. Well-meaning, perhaps, but it unnecessarily denies agency of those on the ground. #Thread

It isn't that Western policies are irrelevant to the continuation of various bad policies in the region. Western policies most certainly are decidedly unhelpful in many different ways, and especially where western capitals have partnerships going on - because they have leverage.

The US-led invasion set into motion a set of events that culminated in the birth of ISIS. Without that invasion, ISIS couldn't have existed. But let's be clear: ISIS came out of al-Qa'eda, and al-Qa'eda was born long before the invasion.

One could legitimately make the argument al-Qa'eda owes its existence to Russia and the Soviet Union more than anything else - because without the decision to invade Afghanistan, there would have been no al-Qa'eda group formed to fight the Soviet Union in the 80s.

But perhaps better yet, one should make the argument that there are a broad configuration of factors that made extremist Islamist groups possible in the late 20th and early 21st centuries; and the weight of different factors really do differ according to person.

The ideology of extremist Islamism is relevant - a marriage between different extremist strains of unorthodox interpretations of Islam. But if there were political factors involved in this, it's poor governance & violations of rights on the ground *by* actors on the ground.

These actors on the ground - regimes, security establishments and so on - are not puppets that have no independent realms of decision on the ground in their countries. That really underestimates the way these regimes operate, and how they operate; and overestimates Western power.

To take the most blatant example: Bashar al-Assad was never a Western puppet. His regime and its abuses are fundamentally the most responsible for the growth of ISIS in Iraq and Syria. For example.

None of this means removing responsibility for bad policies formulated in London, Washington, Paris or anywhere in the western world that has impact in the region. But we shouldn't automatically privilege the power of those capitals in so doing. Everything in its right place.

• Like 1

Any thoughts on this? Apparently nobody knows who this cat is. Doesn’t sound like a good place to be on the counter side of things. 

Obviously they’re going to try to plan some sort of retaliation, question is how significant will it be?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/31/world/middleeast/isis-al-baghdadi-dead.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share

• Like 1

"The announcement also took aim at the leadership of Mr. Trump, admonishing the United States: “Don’t you see how you became the laughingstock of the nations, and an old and crazy man controls your fate, whose opinion changes between morning and evening?” "

That awkward moment when you agree with Isis propaganda....

• LOL! 2

• 1 month later...

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/03/top-iranian-general-qassim-soleimani-killed-in-us-airstrike-in-baghdad-pentagon.html

Iran’s top commander General Qassim Soleimani has been killed in a U.S. drone strike in Baghdad, the Pentagon confirmed on Thursday night following reports of his death on Iranian state television and Iraqi media.
His death exacerbated already-high tensions between Iran and the United States, and triggered concerns of retaliation from Iranian forces.
The latest revelation comes on the heels of a New Year’s Eve attack by Iran-backed militias on the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad.

Here is the full statement from the Department of Defense:

At the direction of the President, the U.S. military has taken decisive defensive action to protect U.S. personnel abroad by killing Qasem Soleimani, the head of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps-Quds Force, a U.S.-designated Foreign Terrorist Organization.
General Soleimani was actively developing plans to attack American diplomats and service members in Iraq and throughout the region. General Soleimani and his Quds Force were responsible for the deaths of hundreds of American and coalition service members and the wounding of thousands more. He had orchestrated attacks on coalition bases in Iraq over the last several months - including the attack on December 27th - culminating in the death and wounding of additional American and Iraqi personnel. General Soleimani also approved the attacks on the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad that took place this week.
This strike was aimed at deterring future Iranian attack plans. The United States will continue to take all necessary action to protect our people and our interests wherever they are around the world.

The fact that he was in Iraq when the embassy was raided means he was 100% the designer and commandant of that operation. There can be zero doubt about that.

That he was even in Iraq says a lot about that country's leadership.

It is not an exaggeration to say that this is as big, if not bigger than the bin Laden hit. (given OBL was basically redundant when he died)

The tinfoil in me says the timing of the hit is an impeachment distraction. Wartime guys get their second term. 

Imo, bigger than obl as qs has a very functioning military (militaries potentially) to respond to his murder.  

I'm seeing a lot of global condemnation and no praise for the hit. Wondering what that backlash will look like. 

Wartime presidents face a bit of a seesaw, if the war is going well, they generally win. If the war isn't going well, they lose. Just ask LBJ. (of course, that's a simplistic sentence that requires a lot more detail but it serves the purpose) Also, Trump campaigned on getting out of the Forever Wars, should he be sucked back into them, like man, many presidents before him, he'll have to work hard to explain it away. Although, his base seem to swallow all his other bullshit excuses so why not another - "No president has ever faced a Middle East situation like I have. They've come up against big talkers like Saddam - and I was against the Iraq war, just ask Fox News, Donald Trump would never have made that mistake - but nobody has ever been able to defeat the Mullahs in Tehran. Well I'm the guy, I know these Mullahs, better than anyone else in the world, believe me .....", and they will.

Yep, I reckon he's bigger than OBL as well, If they'd got OBL in Tora Bora then it would be an interesting discussion, (because that that stage we didn't know that AQ was a spent force) but QS is bigger than the Iranian pres, he was a secondary powerbase to the Mullahs and there were legitimate questions being asked whether he was setting up an alternative powerbase to take national power.

Not sure what the global condemnation is (fuck you, drunk, not googling) but if it's coming from Europe, fuck them. THey know how dangerous he is and how many of their children he's killed.

Edited by Hua Guofang

Also, not sure what the actual trigger was but this is part of a larger spiral and I don't know who started it. But there were rocket attacks a while back from IRanian prxoes in IRaq, or so I read in the news.

I really don't know any more than that, though. Could be a whole understory to be told yet. It'll come out, if there is.