The Post Social Media Era and whats next for 12oz and online communities like it

misteraven

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
11 minutes ago, abrasivesaint said:

Put it this way... 

FA7A4629-96DA-4C45-AC19-64094DC94093.thumb.jpeg.207b924dd83f8f37533dc45a4f6c079d.jpeg

86D2DAEA-831A-468E-A0D1-EA396CD65C48.thumb.jpeg.b145299cae71e03292cf4d182e4f00d6.jpeg

Like i said it’s the McDonalds of forums. Just because they have more people coming in and out doesn't mean it’s the better burger. People like me want the better burger. I’m not going to reddit for graffiti content and discussions. 

Agree to disagree. The nature of Reddit makes it so that people sit on the site, not on any one sub. So it can look like a sub is barren when in reality a large chunk of its followers are on the homepage. It’s more of a centralized experience. The indexing also makes it much easier to find older threads than on a forum. I think it’s just a case of you getting older and thinking the previous incarnations were better when in reality,  you just didn’t keep up. 

To be fair, that centralized experience and the fact that threads that don’t take off right away get buried within the hour go against fostering a sense of community and cohesiveness that you found in traditional forums. They both have strengths and weaknesses, dismissing the entire thing as the McDees of social media just demonstrates you don’t really get how it works though.

I think it’s a case of you having a hard on for everything reddit and ever since i started questioning your opinion on shit months ago you refuse to admit i might have anything close to a point on anything.

I’ve kept up, the fact is i don’t give a fuck. There’s a difference. 

@Kults

edit: that said, i’m not getting into this with you any further than that. I think you’ve missed my point. 

Edited by abrasivesaint

23 minutes ago, abrasivesaint said:

I dont know about “total users.” As far as Current active users online... 

Those stats are arbitrary as you don't know how each site defines 'active'. The old 12oz defined active as a member that logged in within the trailing 7 days. There was even an option to change the time span for the published metrics so back then, the logged in user list was actually anyone that logged in within 3 hours I think. That's how it got to numbers that showed 1200+ users logged in at a time. On this forum, its actually concurrent and honest... It's how many people hit the forum within a few minutes, but will show all users within the hour, sorted by activity.

• Truth 1

9 minutes ago, Joker said:

@misteraven- that is fucked up. Why... why would a pen be an issue? Why would a book with what the untrained eye would consider scribbles on the cover be an issue?I don't understand. 

My theory I since you're on the shit list, the system is designed to just hassle you. The old forum had a 'shadow ban' type feature. If I set your account to that classification instead of just banning the account, it made the user experience miserable by serving up 404 pages randomly and severely lagging the connections. Made it unusable. If some bullshit forum software is capable of that, imagine what the deep pockets of Facebook / Instagram can engineer. What I know is this... They essentially have a monopoly with social media, which represents a massive swath of all internet traffic. They've been given unfair competitive advantage and they now have tentacles deep enough with their authentication and tracking systems that they can just about box you in as far as what you're able to do online. Literally these companies can make or break your business after years of moulding people's behaviors and how they consume content, and now shop, online. 

• Like 1

For the record it’s fairly active..

when i just checked the top recent posts there were 7 people posting in different threads in the past 10 minutes. 

https://www.thetriumphforum.com/recent-activity/

That’s still not the point i was making though. Reddit might have more people going in and out, but smaller more niche forums may have more in depth, knowledgeable discussions as those people go there to talk specifically about those topics. Which is what Kilz was talking about and Kults argued against. 

Again with the burger reference.. A non corporate burger spot that has a solid, loyal business with patrons who want a better burger can still thrive and be very much alive and not have the hundreds to thousands of people in and out every day like McDonalds. Much like how a specific forum for Triumphs, or graffiti.. could have better “product“ and substance than a reddit where every Tom, Dick and Harry can stroll into the conversation because it has more notoriety.  

Edited by abrasivesaint

2 hours ago, Kults said:

Reddit killed em. They’re still around but on life support 

I'd say that's partially accurate.  The problem with reddit is the same problem with the other social media platforms, there is no "sticky" threads.  There are no long form discussions that are meaningful next week.  As soon as the kids don't care to comment on it, the thread goes into oblivion.  I know you know this.

I run a car forum, it's very dead.  The other car forum that I frequent does have active users and I believe the car communities are where I've heard the same concerns voiced about putting all of our information on platforms that don't care about the information.  Seriously, think about it..... if facebook cared about sharing with others how to fix cars, why would it let a thread get bumped off into oblivion and not provide any useful way of finding it again or continuing the conversation?

• Truth 1

That was my point. 

is it because he said he runs a forum you listen to him, or is it because it was me who tried to make the point that you just didn’t care to try to hear it? 

edit: i love how you can edit things without it being shown you edit, because this wasn’t there originally.. 

1 hour ago, Kults said:

To be fair, that centralized experience and the fact that threads that don’t take off right away get buried within the hour go against fostering a sense of community and cohesiveness that you found in traditional forums. They both have strengths and weaknesses, dismissing the entire thing as the McDees of social media just demonstrates you don’t really get how it works though.

Edited by abrasivesaint
  • LOL! 1

That post originally ended with you telling me i didn’t keep up.

It’s hilarious that you can go back after the fact and alter what you said to make it seem like i’m taking things you say out of context or completely ignoring them without it being shown you did such. 

Edited by abrasivesaint

^^ every time I edit stuff it says I've edited it lol.... who knows.

I still have people coming on the car forum, but it's for a different reason, and I should have clarified that above.  The car forums are not dead, there are active discussions on the Club Lexus, Supra Forums, DSMTuners, Evolution M, and etc etc.  Car forums are far from dead, people are just distracted right now.  My forum specifically has slowed with traffic because nobody cares about the kind of car I mess with.  It's first gen mitsubishi cars that were sold in America.  I heard a kid at the last Cars & Coffee I took it to tell his friend that it was a first generation Evolution.  😐  I couldn't stone face hard enough.

Anyway, the thing is, the young kids that are my brother's age (~22 years old right now) don't care about forums and never learned their value.  They were raised around social media and 144 character replies that bump off into oblivion 12h from now.

• Like 2

Back to the topic... 

Decided to visit an old forum I'd lurk for hours back about 12 years ago... https://supertalk.superfuture.com/ 

Saw that they also have an interesting model of paid only... 

supertalk is free to browse as a guest. You need to be a member to participate in discussions or buy and sell on the classifieds. There is a one-off $US10 joining fee for supertalk. You can also become a premium superseller or supermember. Businesses who want to promote their brand and products need to become a supersponsor. superfuture has been online continuously for 20 years and is privately owned. 

Also, surprised to see their subscription model... https://supertalk.superfuture.com/subscriptions/

Shows that forums are definitely still alive when they're literally charging fees to just join. And in case you're thinking it, no I have no plans to start charging anyone to be a member here. I'll likely bring back a paid VIP or some sort of subscription model if we enough traction to qualify that, but those of you with accounts will always have access and can't imagine ever not having a free tier for general membership.

• Props 1

• 4 years later...
2 hours ago, KILZ FILLZ said:

Been on FB for the first time in maybe a decade or so (selling/buying on marketplace, my feed seems to support Dead Internet Theory 

IMG_6552.png

IMG_6553.png

I did the same and my feed was surprisingly poppin with updates from people I went to elementary through high school with. I didn’t look to closely though.