Unfollowgate 2019

Mercer

23 minutes ago, Joker said:

Actually the more I type and think about it... I'm just going to delete the app from my phone and see what happens. I know my account won't die so it'll be a nice experiment to see what happens with it. 

I think you're case is similar to mine in that the issue isn't so much psycho analyzing facebook or society at large, but how to develop a more useful tool for the tasks we're wrestle with - spreading the word about what we're up to. Unsure if its bias on my part, but seems to me all of a sudden I'm seeing everyone start up podcasts. Seems a lot of people are able to somehow monetize it to a degree that they can focus on it full time. Being honest I have a difficult time seeing how that model can work and since sound engineering and editing is not my core competency, I've sort of held off from chasing it. I'd love to do it, but I'd really have to find a solid partner to be able to take the lead on it. Was sort of hopeful when @dekayfahad stepped to me with the idea, but conclusion was sort of that there was likely easier ways to make money and we both were limited on time for hobbies. But that's mostly me.

I've been exploring the idea of a hybrid between a blog and newsletter. I'm subscribed to a few of those daily report newsletters that are almost like blog / news entries in email format. Quick hits of aggregated / curated content fitting a specific theme. Little of it is original content other then the copy used to sort of intro each bit published. Personally I really like them and I see more and more of these sorts of newsletters popping up. Definitely thinking about how I might be able to find a template / model that makes sense for 12oz and get that going.

But I do believe most people / companies in the know are seriously investigating what moves their going to make as the social media era continues to wind down, or at best, reinvent itself. Shit simply is no longer working in ways everyone got used to and I really don't see a way for it to be salvaged, no matter how much effort I've taken to think through the angles and consequences. I can't honestly say what is next, but at the moment I'm leaning towards very directional communities like this one circling back around and being the sort of platforms that end up driving deep user engagement with the upside of also being a fairly specific user profile type and demographic. I acknowledge it'll need (or at least will accelerate the process) if there's some sort of way to make it more 'sticky'. It needs a new generation of feature set to take it beyond the simple basics of starting threads / responding to threads. But then again, its only as rich as the community that makes it up and we've been able to have a lot of fun and learn a lot of things with only that basic feature.

• Like 2
  • Props 2

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Unsure if I mentioned this, but we hit new records last week with engagement on here. Seems numbers are basically up about 20 - 30% last week and continuing into this week. I'm unsure why exactly, but there's been a few OG accounts that have suddenly started posting again and a handful of new accounts that are posting a lot. I've noticed on the activity feed that now when I refresh it after every post I make that there are often 10+ new posts that have happened in the meantime during my regular work hours. Granted I am subscribed to a lot of a content, but comparing apples to apples, it wasn't quite like this as recent as a couple weeks ago. It's definitely accelerating and I would guess its in part to so many people no longer being satisfied with what they're getting out of social media and revisiting old stomping grounds like 12oz as an alternative.

• Like 1
  • Truth 1

@mn1_fuckosI have the same problem, I've had friends bring stuff up I completely forgot about. Why? I don't have a photo of it. Somehow mundane shit that made the camera roll is now burned into a perfect memory.

The other day I was helping a client sort photos using some automation I've programmed and they randomly had a photo of me from 2015. Pretty memorable event but I didn't remember any of it. Really odd, not sure if it's from shooting photos before I remember it, or repeatedly typing "pics or it didn't happen" in the early 2000's.

3 hours ago, misteraven said:

Unsure if I mentioned this, but we hit new records last week with engagement on here. Seems numbers are basically up about 20 - 30% last week and continuing into this week. I'm unsure why exactly, but there's been a few OG accounts that have suddenly started posting again and a handful of new accounts that are posting a lot. I've noticed on the activity feed that now when I refresh it after every post I make that there are often 10+ new posts that have happened in the meantime during my regular work hours. Granted I am subscribed to a lot of a content, but comparing apples to apples, it wasn't quite like this as recent as a couple weeks ago. It's definitely accelerating and I would guess its in part to so many people no longer being satisfied with what they're getting out of social media and revisiting old stomping grounds like 12oz as an alternative.

Uhhh... it's got me drawing on the regular, again. It's not my own name, but still. It's a good feeling to flex that side of my brain after sitting in front of a computer all day. 

I feel like I'm participating in something bigger than my own self-promotion, and I love it. 

• Like 1
  • Props 6

17 hours ago, Joker said:

Uhhh... it's got me drawing on the regular, again. It's not my own name, but still. It's a good feeling to flex that side of my brain after sitting in front of a computer all day. 

I feel like I'm participating in something bigger than my own self-promotion, and I love it. 

Nice man... You definitely are! I certainly appreciate it and I can see the enthusiastic responses from the kids you're mentoring. Pretty amazing when you can literally touch lives from across the country like that.

And yeah, I grow organic vegetables and free range foul as my counter balance to being in front of a computer all day, most days. You and the wife still need to find an excuse to road trip out for a couple days.

• Like 1

Sorry for the late reply, I wasn't really following this thread

image.png.ae2a3a6d7781356d30b75d349a171529.png

Responding to something @Jokermentioned, I've felt concern over social media as well as cell phones for a while, find it really hard to believe that people at those companies don't understand what they're doing and how.  Some of it is pretty much how the tobacco and fast food industries have indoctrinated children into their products before they are old enough to know.  I mean there are kids who have phones, and parents who believe their kids need a phone.

Staying close to what you mentioned though, I believe the cell phone companies started this, especially with things like individualized ring tones.  It's shaping your behavior the way Pavlov did with dogs. Every time your phone rings it plays a sound you like, which reinforces your connection/attraction to the phone.  Pretty sick.  Also the phones having video games, it's own rewards/reinforcement system.  I see social media as an extension of all this since most people are accessing it through their phones.  Man is a social animal, perhaps overly concerned with approval and comparing him/her self to others.  We've seen some of that at play here in 12oz past.  People loved their tic-tacs and some people were ready to go to war if you gave them a tampon.  The likes and all that other social media b.s. works along the same lines.

• Like 2
  • Props 1

giphy.gif

That's awesome and, IMO, awful at the same time.  Props on Stone Cold.  But.... on the flip (phone?) side you've literally toned down someone's intrusiveness to make them less annoying and more bearable.  I know there's more humor than truth to your post, but there still is some truth in there that shows how the phone can shape our behavior and mood.  Think about individualized ring tones.  You set one for the girl you like.  Since you like her, you would be excited if she called you, your heart rate and other physical responses would go up if you saw her, talked to her, etc.  When your phone rings her individualized ring tone you know it's her and start to have your physical response because you're excited it's her.  But pretty soon you have established a link between hearing that tone and getting excited that it's her such that the tone now causes your excitement.  Again, pretty sick.  Seinfeld comes to mind here on these topics.  There's the episode where George is singing his name like a jingle- by Mennen, Cos-stanza, and gets it lodged in the woman's head.  Also the one where George introduces eating a sandwich into his lovemaking such that when he goes to the deli and orders a sandwich he starts to feel hot & bothered.

• LOL! 2

I agree. And it makes sense. Same argument could be made for microwave timers and egg timers. 

counter point would be that most people seem to keep their phone on silent at all times. 

• Like 1

I ignore the shit out of my phone all the time unless I"m expecting a call.  Anything happening w/ my phone is very very very very rarely any sort of "priority".  I love watching people that are slaves quickly fumble to pick up their phone after hearing that ringtone, like it's some sort of race to quickly know what alerted you.  It's NEVER something important.

I also think it's funny when people get mad about texts like, "well I tried to ask you on text...."  If it's important you'll call, if it's not important you'll text and I'll ignore it until I feel like not ignoring it.  The phone is my bitch, it works on my time, I don't follow it's punk ass around wondering what is going on all the time.  That thing is an endless time waster and I recognize it as such.  I don't have any "fun" apps on my phone, it's used for texting, calling, and sometimes maps.

• Truth 2

2 hours ago, KILZ FILLZ said:

I agree. And it makes sense. Same argument could be made for microwave timers and egg timers. 
counter point would be that most people seem to keep their phone on silent at all times. 

Slightly similar, but not the same.  The connection is not as strong, unless you simply love to eat and that sound is your alert to eat.  Or maybe your girl warms up some baby oil in the microwave before giving you a hj, then I could see the microwave ring being a bit more exciting.  Putting a phone on vibrate doesn't necessarily matter.  Take a teen.  The phone is their main social connection and if they lose it for an hour or a day to them, in their teen perception, it's like an eternity.  Any alert that the phone makes is to them, the most important thing in the world, because it must be the outside social world contacting them.  You spend your kid years like that, what do you think happens to them and their susceptability to things like this as they become adults?  Cell phones started when most of us here were kids.  Now as adults you can tell yourself I'm silencing my phone but people here and in general are struggling with social media, social media addiction, social media disappointment.  How did that happen?  Through your phone.  It was another step in keeping people connected to the device and drawing them in more.  Social media plays off human nature, emotion, and reinforcement through shit like "likes" to keep people there.  Also pretty sinister since they are keeping people there to harvest their information and use that to further manipulate people.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dirty_habiT said:

I ignore the shit out of my phone all the time unless I"m expecting a call.  Anything happening w/ my phone is very very very very rarely any sort of "priority".  I love watching people that are slaves quickly fumble to pick up their phone after hearing that ringtone, like it's some sort of race to quickly know what alerted you.  It's NEVER something important.

The phone is my bitch, it works on my time, I don't follow its punk ass around wondering what is going on all the time.  

This. 

I gave in and deleted Instagram off my phone last week and it hasn't been the disaster I set myself up to believe it was going to be. I've checked in once on my desktop but quickly got bored of it after about two minutes. Kinda feels like I kicked a really bad habit, if that makes sense. 

Without that app the phone stays in my backpack unless I need to use it, and my usage has drastically decreased from 3 hours a day to less than 30 minutes. Just texts back and forth with family/friends, check the weather, check maps for traffic options. That's about it. It's perfect. 

• Like 2
  • Props 2

@One Man Banned- you reminded me of something I thought a long time ago when apps on phones first started to become a big thing ("there's an app for that" -- puke).  When I was in school, messing with computers was considered nerdy.  If you wanted to social network, it involved sitting in one spot, in a computer chair, for hours on end.  The phone has released the people that had this addiction from being stationary.  They can now cater to their addiction anywhere they want.  Having computers that are powerful and small has obvious benefits, but not when "money people" got ahold of it.

It's kind of like how the internet used to just be for exchanging information.  Now we have adverts, malware that mines bitcoins, popups, etc etc.  There's HUGE money in messing w/ the average computer user.  The problem is that what many consider to be "fuckin legit" (read: facebook app, I'm so connected and aware of the world now) really has nefarious underpinnings.

@Joker- I'm glad the transition was easier than you thought it was going to be.  I think that is actually part of the addiction problem they've created.  You actually were apprehensive a few weeks ago about removing it for fear of not knowing how it would affect your art sales.  Now that you've gotten away, it seems you've realized that you have some more time, effort, and thought to contribute to what is really important to you, which is probably making more art.  🙂  Kudos for that (if I'm accurate in my assumption).

• Like 1
  • Props 1

1 hour ago, Dirty_habiT said:

@One Man Banned- you reminded me of something I thought a long time ago when apps on phones first started to become a big thing ("there's an app for that" -- puke).  When I was in school, messing with computers was considered nerdy.  If you wanted to social network, it involved sitting in one spot, in a computer chair, for hours on end.  The phone has released the people that had this addiction from being stationary.  They can now cater to their addiction anywhere they want.  Having computers that are powerful and small has obvious benefits, but not when "money people" got ahold of it.

If we want to word play I would say people are less catering to their addictions and more that money people are providing them with fast food buffets.

• Truth 1

Late to the thread--- I can't find the article on my phone, will try later on my computer, but I recently read how ig and similar platforms ration likes to ensure return visits from you. Meaning,  if you post a pic and a dozen friends like it  they will show you the first 6 friends did so in real time, but then ration and space out the remaining likes  over a longer period of time. This makes the social media addict check back multiple times. Each new visit is a new chance for them to show you a new ad and eat a little bigger piece of of your "soul." Maybe i read it from another post on 12oz? I havent had a proper night's sleep in 6 days and it's starting to show...

@Joker I can't remember where the other "leaving ig" thread was and I know I owe you a response from it, here seems a fine place: the ads were definitely playing into it, but two other factors were my primary motivators: the nonlinear timeline was infuriating. Some user would post using hashtags I follow and use to buy/sell, but I wouldn't see that hashtag or post for 17 hours, meanwhile someone I compete against (and can't stand) sees the post only 2 hours after the original post time, so I miss out on an opportunity. After a few times of that happening, my blood was fucking boiling--over something that when I'm being mindful, does not truly matter. I have enough anger problems, as is. Cutting out a source can only be beneficial. 

The more meaningful reason, though, is the fact that I stopped appreciating amazing art as much as I used to. Like a lot of people I would just scroll and scroll past ads and baby photos and friends major life events for way too many minutes (hours at times) on end. My feed was curated to be mostly quality  tattoos, art, and rap letters. When I see a fucking brilliant tattoo idea/execution The first time I get that dopamine and feel inspired. When I'm following hundreds of brilliant tattooers, I see a brilliant tattoo every 2.5 inches of scrolling and I stop getting that "rush." While that may be pushing individuals to new boundaries within any specific art scene,  I felt like I was simply not appreciating art anymore. And I was doing it A LOT. Way too much time wasted in the day on it. Embarrassing, really.

I've checked back on my computer a couple times and scrolled for about a dozen posts before stopping. Life is better without, but now I'm spending a bunch of time typing with my thumbs on some internet forum for former vandals on the verge of midlife crises... and it feels much better. 😂

• Props 1
  • LOL! 1

Your third paragraph really resonates with me. It’s summarizes the theory I have for why so many brands that used to be big are struggling and why I believe it’s been so difficult with the 12oz tees compared to a couple releases we’d done 7+ years ago. 

Seems there was a time when you could drop product and it was genuinely exciting. Now people are exposed to a steady stream of cool product from the best brands from all over and have just gotten numb to it. I also believe that since you can now see what people are doing in specific detail anywhere in the world, in near real-time, local trends don’t seem to have much chance. Whereas something might gain traction at a school level or town / city, social has helped homogenize trends and interests. It’s turned into  something that either blows up mega massive or not at all. 

• Truth 1

Story Time.

So back in the day I had plans to fly @padawandown to JBLM when I was stationed there and blow an epic load on her face.  I started taking a whole bunch of dick performance oriented stuff to increase the volume of my load. I found a product called EJACULOID and after a couple weeks, holy fuck, Peter North like whoa. this all fell through when she lost the ability to leave Canada due to pending trial/felonious activities.

I'm sure I made a thread about it back then, definitely talked about it in IRC/TC. but that ad is likely for a similar product. 

And it was pretty great, it feels really nice to dump that much.

Image result for tmyk

• LOL! 3

https://tutanota.com/blog/posts/how-to-leave-google-gmail

I am going to just leave this here.  The recent hack of Johannesburg city left a note w/ an email address for the hackers.  The email was hosted at tutanota.com.  Naturally, I had to go check out tutanota.com and see what they're about.  Yep, they're legit, privacy minded email service made in Germany.  Ok, that's cool.  Their article I linked above is pretty good.  I'm already doing many of the things they listed.

I've changed my default search engine on all of my devices to duckduckgo.com.  I was reluctant to do this for a long time thinking that my searching experience would be compromised.  It hasn't been.  In fact, it's been just fine and I"m no longer funneling my information into google's "free" search engine.  Of course duckduckgo.com makes their money in the same way, but their interests are not quite the same as googles..... I think.  Anyway, I thought it was a good article.

@Fist 666-- good on you for trying to do what you can to blast that girl.  All we can do in life is our best, amirite?

• Like 2

On 10/26/2019 at 6:01 PM, Fist 666 said:

Story Time.

So back in the day I had plans to fly @padawandown to JBLM when I was stationed there and blow an epic load on her face.  I started taking a whole bunch of dick performance oriented stuff to increase the volume of my load. I found a product called EJACULOID and after a couple weeks, holy fuck, Peter North like whoa. this all fell through when she lost the ability to leave Canada due to pending trial/felonious activities.

I'm sure I made a thread about it back then, definitely talked about it in IRC/TC. but that ad is likely for a similar product. 

And it was pretty great, it feels really nice to dump that much.

Hillarious thread turn.  Might as well admit to that penis pump you bought too at this point.  Never thought such a product existed but quite believeable.  Guess the notion of maybe jacking off once a day instead of 3 times, or just not jacking off until your dick meets her face didn't occur to you?  Lolz.

George-Costanza-Squirts-Ketchup-at-Table

• LOL! 2

1 minute ago, One Man Banned said:

Hillarious thread turn.  Might as well admit to that penis pump you bought too at this point.  Never thought such a product existed but quite believeable.  Guess the notion of maybe jacking off once a day instead of 3 times, or just not jacking off until your dick meets her face didn't occur to you?  Lolz.

George-Costanza-Squirts-Ketchup-at-Table

Lol. It's not like that, it's not like if you held off a week or even a month ( I actually did 30 days in high school), it's like you're a goddamn fire hydrant of jizz. 

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

I'm getting super worn out w/ Youtube..... this morning, again, in my feed there are channels from news networks that I've already told YT that I'm not interested in.  It's almost like they have a political agenda they're attempting to ram down your throat.  I should be able to enjoy YT in the way that I want to enjoy it, but they're making it difficult.

One thing that makes this pretty obvious is that there are certain car channels that I've blocked and they haven't shown back up AT ALL since blocking them.  Odd, that they stay blocked when they don't talk about political anything, but if you block a news network that talks about politics it will show back up in your feed.

I remember when news networks attempted to be unbiased and factual.  Now they push an agenda.  It feels like everyone's getting a sweet dose of being brain washed.

@Dirty_habiTsounds like it’s time to start a new acct and baseline what they’re sending you

i fucking hate the two commercials before video now. One commercial was bad enough. Kids will never know there used to be zero commercials before vids!

vimeo still kickin?

Yeah, they mention vimeo on that link I posted above from tutanota.com...... also, if you use Firefox you can use the adblock plus plugin.  I haven't had to watch an ad on youtube in years..... except when I watch youtube from devices that don't let you have browsers w/ plugins..... like your phone, or your apple tv, or your ps4, or whatever that isn't a computer.

But yeah, you can definitely watch YT without any ads if you use adblock plus.

https://adblockplus.org/

Also, let's hope that more "influencers" (cough) don't start doing those kinds of ads where it's them showing off some product.  Recently I've seen it be this cylindrical speaker that has a subwoofer in it.  If you look at the site that sells the speaker, they have it listed at $200 retail, but everyone that is showing it off on youtube has their own personalized discount code that does something ridiculous that no new company would ever do.... gives you a 67% discount bringing the total cost down to something like $70.

This is another thing I take issue with, but is for another discussion..... I can't stand that they set the retail price of things to this fake high price, then give discount codes to make you feel like you're getting some amazing deal.  Anything you have that's electronic, including your top notch apple computer, costs ~$100 at best for the manufacturer.  They buy stuff in bulk for very cheap, processors, memory, copper, aluminum, etc.  The markup is absolutely stupid.  I bet the cost to get those speakers they're selling for $70 a pop is something like $15 out the door from the people printing that bullshit in china.  MASSIVE profit if anyone pays the $200 price.  Of course my speculation on the numbers isn't going to be exact, but the point remains.

• Like 1