Cool Vans - Conversions, Sprinters, Overlanding and nomad life on 4 wheels

KILZ FILLZ

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
On 6/8/2023 at 10:34 AM, nicklesndimes said:

there's one thing about these campers/vans/sprinters/etc that i'm gonna have to just be honest about. i don't think think the idea of having a restroom in my van is very appealing.

when i go to the bathroom i am flushing it, or leaving it there, not driving around with it!

I don’t think the price tag is appealing.

I saw a 2023 Ram sprinter in someone’s driveway today for sale for $119,000 USD!

I’m sure it was decked out, but that’s ridiculous.

• Like 1
  • Truth 1

On 6/14/2023 at 9:46 AM, nicklesndimes said:

annnnnd...

the closest i've been to my baby:IMG_20230614_121802_1.thumb.jpg.fbef5d03ec1e919f049dc8e64cde9126.jpg

IMG_20230614_121808_9.thumb.jpg.d8a500e6fd244d4829787ea57db27cc2.jpg

IMG_20230614_121813_3.thumb.jpg.857d59d6fcc095f53ce08fe16694444d.jpg

it's been sitting there for a couple years and i'm about an inch away about inquiring on what a mechanical restoration would take. i think i'd leave the body paint in it's original faded glory, but would hand paint a very select few raised logos, etc.

All trim, lights,  and marker lights appear to be intact. Just two windows on the passenger side need to be replaced.  

• Like 1

Do eet!

Anyway, put in my forms today to get some funds so I can hopefully start van shopping soon.

I have started to make a list of everything I will need to live in the van in my weeks off from being a Mars worker that flys to some random desert town to plow the earth for mining materials as it seems is kind of the fate afforded to those who seek to afford a couple of drinks to satiate their thirst or to buy decent meals so I can get back to surfing again, which is going to cost me around $2500 for a new board, fins, and a wetsuit.

I would much rather just prowl the streets taking photos to post on here touring around my city and the rest of the world having a few beers here and there, but a Man has to do whatever his script determines he will do as per the system.

• Like 2
  • Truth 1

1 hour ago, LUGR said:

Tint those muthalovas.

As a former (actually qualified) window tinter whose Father has done the job his entire working career, tinting buses is the absolute worst, so get a few quotes if you intend to get more than just the front door windows done. 

And the older the bus the worse a job it is, as cleaning those windows perfectly is a near on impossible job if the bus is 20 years old.

I would just recommend painting the bitches in a non reflective matte black, curtains or using cabinets and shit to obscure them or look online at how van lifers are dealing with such problems these days, as to tint it would be at least 70% if not 100+% of what you are buying it for.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

My super money came in so I am van shopping.

Found a cool one in my budget, that has pretty much everything ready to go, but the chick has already committed to show it to someone on Saturday and will let me know if that falls through.

Hopefully it does so I can escape the huge rent cost I am dealing with as soon as possible so I can stack some cash from working (once I finally finish all the online inductions and learning the company I am going to be working for has assigned Me).

• Props 1

23 hours ago, nicklesndimes said:

@Mauler5150 i hope you go thru with it, it would make this thread pretty interesting and could possibly be a standalone vanlife thread.

Well I had my first viewing and test drive tonight.

The van ran fine but I noticed I was having trouble putting it into and fingering gears.

I got the guy to email me invoices from the recent work he claimed had been performed in the ad and I was keen to buy it, but as suspected the mechanics who had worked on it noted that the gearbox linkage needed replacing, and I need something that can run trouble free for the next 6 months at the cost he was asking.

Plus the bodywork was beaten up, and for a couple thousand more I can find something way better and easier to resell without having to sink $ into it should I feel like upgrading once I have worked for a few months.

I am happy to post updates in here of my van life stories, but given my lack of ability to upload would you prefer Youtube video updates? I am thinking about making videos of my times and trials and tribulations of doing the van life for a while, as it gives me a reason to make videos as I like to do, whilst also giving my Youtube channel a focus of sorts as opposed to the random things on there now which really make no sense to anyone but Me and my comedic way of viewing the world.

I can link from Facebook, but I am weary of the terms of service and things on there whereby I effectively allow the Zuck to own my shit I upload on there, and at least Youtube has the potential to monetise things if enough people want to see life through the eyes of someone who has seen it all.

2 hours ago, Mauler5150 said:

OK I will keep you all updated of my progress.

I may go check out a van at a local car yard today.

I am also going to check if there are any auctions going to try get a van if my choices I am looking at over the weekend don't pan out.

You could become a motivational speaker like Matt Foley.

1 hour ago, LUGR said:

You could become a motivational speaker like Matt Foley.

No idea who that is.

I would rather be more of a Tony Robbins type, without needing to omit where I fucked up in some ways over the course of my life lest I appear a hypocrite as Tony is accused of being due to his tenure in the game seeing Him divorced post becoming famous for being a motivational speaker.

Fact is I never made any mistakes, as it was all for the purpose of self actualisation and gaining the relevant experiences in life to qualify Me as being not only a life coach, but a potential “parent” should I ever deem the world I exist within to be worthy of Me bringing an innocent life and soul to inhabit it.

Effectively, a world without child predators, drug fucked zombies roaming the streets and committing crimes, and criminal and legit organisations who profit off of selling women and sex to the point that all value is lost.

Hence my desire to escape the system to the highest extent possible for a while by living in a van where my only bills will be food, my phone/internet and the fuel and maintenance required to get to the ocean to wash myself free of the awareness of how fucked up a large majority of society is in regards to their beliefs, desires and thought structures. 

2 hours ago, Mauler5150 said:

No idea who that is.

I would rather be more of a Tony Robbins type, without needing to omit where I fucked up in some ways over the course of my life lest I appear a hypocrite as Tony is accused of being due to his tenure in the game seeing Him divorced post becoming famous for being a motivational speaker.

Fact is I never made any mistakes, as it was all for the purpose of self actualisation and gaining the relevant experiences in life to qualify Me as being not only a life coach, but a potential “parent” should I ever deem the world I exist within to be worthy of Me bringing an innocent life and soul to inhabit it.

Effectively, a world without child predators, drug fucked zombies roaming the streets and committing crimes, and criminal and legit organisations who profit off of selling women and sex to the point that all value is lost.

Hence my desire to escape the system to the highest extent possible for a while by living in a van where my only bills will be food, my phone/internet and the fuel and maintenance required to get to the ocean to wash myself free of the awareness of how fucked up a large majority of society is in regards to their beliefs, desires and thought structures. 

• LOL! 1

9 minutes ago, LUGR said:

Well he has parodied Me down to a T, yet I still have to get my van to go live next to Margaret River hahaha. And I was never that heavy, but also peep the clip length and notice my birthday of May the 4th is hidden there lol.

And this ramble has given me an idea for another thread, but I am reluctant to make it out of respect for those whose behaviours I modelled myself upon as a kid, given that each of those featured have all publicly admitted what prices they paid in the pursuit of becoming the best at what they do.

Also Christian Slater is a boss, and I forget how many times I rented Gleaming the Cube when I was 6 or 7.

• Like 1