Cool Vans - Conversions, Sprinters, Overlanding and nomad life on 4 wheels

KILZ FILLZ

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Split windshield VW buses are the most desired. VW buses with a single convex wind shield are undesirable and are playfully called “fat chicks” by VW enthusiasts...

...because there are a million of em and no one wants em. 

14F2FF68-EC1E-4399-867F-4D0A00E79D65.jpeg

C7D466E9-DFB3-41D6-B54F-6064C22625B9.jpeg

On 10/14/2019 at 12:00 PM, misteraven said:

Not 100% the same thing, but overlaps quite a bit...

Overlanding - https://overlandjournal.com/what-is-overlanding/ and https://www.onallcylinders.com/2018/07/12/overlanding-101-what-it-is-and-how-to-get-started/

Thinking @6Penniescan share a bit on the subject.

I was briefly involved in this scene, I went to two local club meetings and realized its just glamping for mid life crisis fucks with more money than me, who think putting their $60k builds onto a gravel road with washboard is four-wheeling. Dudes are running HAM radios to coordinate convoys of 20 vehicles that just clog up real trailheads. 

REAL Overlanding is fucking sweet, what we are seeing in the states with roof top tents and max-trax on top of 4runners and wranglers is not that. 

Vans fucking rule. I drive by this place pretty often, would definitely purchase if I won the lottery.

http://www.ujointoffroad.com/

600_2018_3.JPG

there are tons more builds on their website, but this is so fucking sick

600_Box_van_1.JPG

• Like 2

I have no idea what this thing was, but I knew it belonged in this thread so I had my gf snap photos of it while I was driving.  The bottom picture is just a stretched hummer, not really some survival shit.

This black thing though, it looked really cool.  It was an escalade that looked stretched and maybe even armored.  It's hard to tell but on top of it, it had a flat/domed circular disk mounted on the rack.  I think it's some sort of electronic equipment, but I'm not sure.  I don't think a govt vehicle would use wheels like this thing had, so I have no idea what it was.  Looked super cool though.

3CD0425C-65CD-4D18-A77B-245309CD2797.jpeg

7E68700F-EF3C-49C9-BEC6-B52D2C2E545D.jpeg

90410145-A524-4D6E-A1D4-C27A06E42CB8.jpeg

AEF86BAA-2C59-409D-8650-F244BBA7995B.jpeg

42E85E7E-B2EE-4125-9AD9-10664C29999A.jpeg

EDC55DBE-64A6-4AB2-B689-D5EB03C9D923.jpeg

• Props 1

@Fist 666theres a guy I work with who has two early 90s Mitsubishi vans. One for commuting and the other for parts. Will try to flick

fuckin hiace is king. Also like the eurovan but fuck taking on the Volkswagen electrical ghost lol

Damn. I can’t imagine many of those hit the states w 4wd. @Fist 666

boxy angular 80/90s auto design was the pinnacle. 

im down with wagons being peppered into this thread. I have a Honda wagon. Get my balls busted here and there but storage of van/suv with wheel base and chassis of sedan is great. And Honda bulletproofizm

• Truth 1

23 hours ago, Dirty_habiT said:

It's hard to tell but on top of it, it had a flat/domed circular disk mounted on the rack.

That’s mobile satellite. Not as common as it used to be since content is usually streamed over cellular but you still see it on vehicles that go out of range often enough to qualify the expense of it. Though I bet it’s fairly cheap these days. 

That car @misteravenposted on the last page reminded me of this:

porsche-safari-rs.jpg

I got to talk to the owner of this car at Circuit of the Americas.  He said they use it for f'ing around and it does go out into the bush for hunting.  The platform on top is tied into the roll cage bars, there are holes going through the roof of the car so this can happen.  He said they put deer on top of it, and it carries a spare.  I know, guys this isn't a van, but damn it's cool.

https://www.kellymoss.com/projects/safari/

• Like 2

Was off grid when this thread started, saw some fitting shit I wish I had taken pix of.  Every time I go I see at least one of these expedition type vehicles, seems a bit oversized.

image.thumb.png.58add00b1967f1ff7988cabda2164083.png

Recently saw some A-Team and Mystery Machine paint jobs.

As a kid vans always seemed cool because of shit like the A-Team.  In high school I had associates whose folks were bikers and they would take their dad's van out on weekend nights and we would cruise through the city and cause trouble, oblivious to how suspicious we appeared.  Much as I remember it had a bench seat down one side and there was like a living room chair or something in there.  There was always a mini bat under the bench with some crimson stains on it lol.

• LOL! 1

^^That thing is cool..... but I just feel like you're not going to get it into any "super cool" place anyway.  It's too big to be maneuvered through tight spots.  Although, for being an RV that can go off road, I bet it's awesome.  I just don't see it going to any super remote areas.  Of course, that might be why they have a dirt bike on there.  🙂

Did you guys ever hear about the wild Cherry Van? Check out the article linked below.

It was "abandoned" by a couple and "found" by someone who became infatuated by the van and he ended up locating it and trailering it back home to restore it.

spacer.png

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/09/28/wild-cherry-chevy-van-from-van-nuys-blvd

• Like 1
  • Props 1

I just happened to be following this dude on IG before he happened to find the van. It was pretty crazy watchin that unfold and how everything turned out. He ended up keepin the van in the end. 

Either way here's a photo of a sweet subaru van I saw while visiting montana. Almost 2 years ago.

A5695F4E-9E5E-41C5-A3C1-83B9087561EB.JPG

• Like 1
  • Props 1