Cool Vans - Conversions, Sprinters, Overlanding and nomad life on 4 wheels

KILZ FILLZ

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I love this thread already.  I think I can probably contribute here too since Austin seems to be a destination for people that live out of vans and/or on the streets.

I've watched a ton of videos on overlanding on youtube.  I wanted to get a sprinter van but I'm now thinking I'm going to put a cummins 6BT into my 99 Suburban.

@kults - that one you posted looks like it's about to fall apart from rust!  Look how bad the kick panels along the bottom are, wow.... surprised that thing is driving lol.

Due to the influx of new drifters in Austin, our local Walmart (which I avoid like the plague regularly anyway) is now being used quite heavily for extended stay camper people.

This got me to thinking, really.... given Walmart's business model.... it makes sense to let people sleep in the parking lot.  When they need something they go inside walmart and buy it.  Keep your customers living in the parking lot, solid!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Dirty_habiT said:

This got me to thinking, really.... given Walmart's business model.... it makes sense to let people sleep in the parking lot.  When they need something they go inside walmart and buy it.  Keep your customers living in the parking lot, solid!

Not sure man. Has to be a huge liability for a corporation with massively deep pockets. Seriously doubt the dozen or so cars camped in the lot even hint at scratching the surface of sales for a mega store like that.

• Like 1

D

59 minutes ago, Dirty_habiT said:

@kults - that one you posted looks like it's about to fall apart from rust!  Look how bad the kick panels along the bottom are, wow.... surprised that thing is driving lol.

Due to the influx of new drifters in Austin, our local Walmart (which I avoid like the plague regularly anyway) is now being used quite heavily for extended stay camper people.

Dudes gonna drive it until the wheels fall off, literally.

Its our winters and all the salt we dump on the roads. Brand new cars become rust buckets after just a few winters

42 minutes ago, misteraven said:

Not sure man. Has to be a huge liability for a corporation with massively deep pockets. Seriously doubt the dozen or so cars camped in the lot even hint at scratching the surface of sales for a mega store like that.

Are you saying that if someone hurts themselves on the property that Walmart could be sued for it?  I think that's how it works for businesses but I'm not sure.  I do agree that these people are buying a very small fraction of items that account for total items purchased per day.

On 10/14/2019 at 12:38 PM, mn1_fuckos said:

@KILZ FILLZsweet

I love vans

my dad use to have an 89 econoline that he got from his brother it had a table in the back and the interior was entirely diamond pattern crushed velvet and it was all captain chairs. it wasnt fancy by any means it was some wwat cobbled together but he drove the shit out of the van .

My dad went through a few. Most memorable was a dodge tradesman with this hideous beige shag carpet throughout. He got it in the early 00s and that interior must've been from the early 80s

Dream tourer there ^

Would love to have a big Unimog setup one day and do a few laps of Australia

Had a toyota hiace van when I was in my early 20s that pretty much consisted of a dirt bike, a mattress, a carton of beer and half my clothes at any given time 
Still had a room at my parents place at the time, but lived out of the van Thursday-Monday.

My ute/truck is set up for fully off the grid living, solar panels, dual batteries, power inverters and everything to go live remote for a few weeks at a time, mostly just for family camping trips and beach fishing trips these days

• Like 3