12ozProphet Professions - Education, Experience, Skillzzzzzz.

misteraven

@misteraven I would say it is about the same however, it's a little tough at times due to industry cycles / stability.  Don't get me wrong sometimes I feel like the hell and go back working for someone.  

Income?  I would say it depends.  I mean don't get me wrong there is always going to be a market cap in everything plus competition.  But it depends on the jobs you take and if they are even worth it?  That's one of the biggest things I have been leaning for the past 6 years,  which is finding what industries and jobs/products are profitable within those industries.  So really as young as I am in business that is a tough question to answer because a business is always growing.  Although, I have money in that bank, bills are paid, opposed to when I was working for someone, it was merely pay-check-to-pay-check.  

Stability?  I think that is also a very tough question to answer as well, because again, I think it really depends on the type of business you run, where you fall in at in that industry and specialty.   But I do not think that is an answer to your question.  The answer:  it's stable and healthy growth. 

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I hope I wasn't sounding condescending when I was introducing which I can now kinda see that.  Not a good word smith, that's probably why I fire lasers instead of being a Psychologist because I would probably ending saying something that I didn't mean it that way, and the patient took it that wrong way and committed suicide.  It's best if I just lase!

• LOL! 2

LOL, no didnt reads it like that at all man. Figured as much, but always interested in hearing stories, especially ones where people might be wrestling with trying to solve similar problems.

Having your own business is certainly not easy and its a bummer to me that beside the odds of success are not stacked in our favor, that there's all sorts of legislation and other circumstance that has evolved over time that makes it that more difficult to navigate through.

Can't remember where I read a stat that American entrepreneurship has been on a steady decline for decades.

You know, a day ago I was just thing about the odds in regards to legislation, and honestly I kinda get the impression most of these laws are set / lobbied by corporaterations to keep competition at bay or at least the laws seem tough financially for startups in hope to manifest discouragement all while the corporations who lobbied these laws are the ones who don't not practice what they preach because really the law wasn't for them in the first place.  You know?   

Edited by ndv
  • Truth 2

Since it was brought up earlier, I might be able to provide a little insight on my military experience. 

I joined the Navy in 2006, volunteered for Submarine service as a Sonar Technician and am still in, recently got my Chief anchors pinned on.  It's been quite an experience and in retrospect if I hadn't gone with submarines it likely would not have been for me. I was 19 when I joined (so 32 now),  barely got through high school, was delivering food in Denver and was completely broke.  Saw it as a way out due to me having a crippling fear of student loans or debt in general.

I have been in New England for the entire time. Multiple deployments, good and bad experiences, but big picture it has become an actual career which I am thankful for.  I hated my first tour, but did well enough to get in to special programs and be stationed on the USS Constitution in Boston for 3 years following, which was an awesome time and sold me on doing 20. Went back to a boat for another 4 year tour in an actual leadership role where I found out I truly enjoy guiding and developing the young (or just junior) Sailors.  Now I'm on shore as an instructor for the guys (and now girls) that are on the boats, doing the job.

CT has been my home for the majority of the time.  Bought a house.  Got married.  Became a dad X2. Got the dog, lawn and gang of chickens.  

The tough part in long work hours, unpredictable schedule and dealing with the entire ocean trying to kill you constantly. I have my wife who makes it easier because she's solid as fuck and takes care of everything when I'm out to sea. I have a little over 6 years and I retire and start a new career. 

• Props 4

You guys get to play with the real lasers.  The closest I get to DoD is third party part marking and labels.   Waiting for my CAGE so I can bid direct.  Thank you for your service @SQUIRREL You Sir, are a Gentleman and a Scholar. 

Edited by ndv
  • Props 1

Graduated with a poli sci bachelors degree, worked for various campaigns for both parties. In between campaigns I worked for various 401 3c's to pay the bills. I met a lot of cool people that were passionate about their work, also met a lot of assholes who basically were involved because mom and dad were financial contributors and needed someone to babysit them. I basically started as an analyst and strategist, breaking down information so we could allocate funds in areas that would have the greatest positive impact on the campaign or fundraiser.

On the side I worked with a friend in the moving and logistics business. Started as a laborer and gained respect from my ability to run large commercial jobs. later on I would get promoted to an operations manager and oversee multiple projects and make sure we were profitable. it was a really stressful job that was 24/7 but it always felt good to complete a job successfully.

Now I'm at a new company were I basically make sure my drivers are doing whats required of them, fill out a form while I ride passenger with them and file it at the  end of the day. Easiest job ever and i make Bank, and my only complaint is it gets boring a lot of times

• Like 3

Hopefully more people chime in on what they did, but maybe some of you guys that have already posted can circle back around and drop comments on what you might have done different in regards to education and occupation now that you have the benefit of hindsight. 

Me... I wish I’d been more focused and realized the benefit of locking down a super solid foundation and then stay on it steady building in a single direction. Either that or maybe become a weapons exporter like those dudes in whatever movie it was where they bullshitted their way into major weapons contracts. 

Been marinating on wtf to say in here for a minute. I picked around a good bit and definitely found some common ground. So heres my shit.

I started working at a grocery store for tips when I was 14 years old. In between that and skateboarding I also worked at a seafood restaurant in the basement. I've had a lot of different gigs over the years and I'm barely close to what I consider the finish line. Had no fuckin idea what to do with myself after high school. Nobody in my family, or my neighborhood went to college and no one talked about it. I barely knew it was even a option and it wasn't until late ass senior year I started hearing some acquaintances  rapping about where they were going. The buzz happened and once I figured out I could gtfo of my town with some death sentence loan I was all over it. Moms helped me find a junior college cause I was in the remedials with the other special or mislead youth. Signed a bunch of fucking papers neither one of us knew a damn thing about and I was off. 

I chose criminal justice because my black history teacher told me to....LOL. THIS SHIT IS SAD AND FUNNY BUT MOSTLY SAD TO TYPE OUT. Anyways, I always loved Boston from all my skate trips and thats where I was headed. Surprisingly, I did really fucking well. Better grades than I ever had in HS. All of my professors were adjunct lawyers and I received a lot of encouragement to stick with it. The plan was to transfer into a real school with a serious law program and keep on trucking. I got my little Associates, got into some good institutions and settled on Suffolk U. because of their renowned law school. Signed a bunch more loan papers with mom dukes, got a work study and a part time job at a deli and got to crackin. This was when my rap lettering started fucking with my life. Had already gotten bagged once or twice for other shit but I ended up needing a lawyer and from that experience I stupidly decided law wasn't for me and bailed completely. Leaned into history & education, got a job at American apparel with the rest of the hipsters, floundered into a deadly dark depression and consequently got pushed out/dropped out of school. Unfortunately, I fell victim to the got a real job and never went back shit. 

Since then, I was a preschool teacher for many years dabbling in more coursework here and there towards a official degree but somehow knew I wasn't too sold on the life move. I got locked up for rap letters and started realizing that shit might for sure not be my move. Nevertheless, I stayed in early ed for a number of years while simultaneously beginning to make appearances in the more profitable section of rap letter art having shows and selling things. Got into dj'ing pretty heavy which was lucrative but not enough to survive on alone. Had a studio going off and did a little traveling for it but nothing crazy. (this is probably one of many mistakes created by a lack of focus/discipline) Moved out to pdx to pursue the early ed/ art teacher thing and maybe make more of a personal attempt at something relatable (RIP POZ forever for introducing me to some of the right peoples). Didn't work out and I went back to CT with my tail between my legs. 

Next chapter, and a fast forward to now....Had random unplanned child, got a job in blue collar manual labor land painting houses because child care teachers make shit money. Sadly even the most dedicated teachers, non public, early childhood, are drastically under paid. Been in and out of this painting shit (cause I'm still in it today) and 2 years ago I decided I fuckin hated painting enough to get out but since I had nothing else to go back to I ended up finding a art teacher gig at a Montessori school in Cambridge. 2017-2018. This shit was a huge eye opener on a lot of levels, primarily, I was fuckin over kids especially after having my own. That and probably the place I was at. Super rich, crunchy hipster families. The kind of place with rap letter murals and 4 year olds dressed in Patagonia down to the socks. Confusing. Annoying as fuck. Ultimatley, a deal breaker. I am old now, younger than plenty of you all but whatever. I've done a bunch of shit and after reading a good deal of the posts in here I can relate to the "done did it all" or a lot of it and none. Dabbler of many. Talented at a lot. Master of fucking nothing. 

In the last year and change I was introduced to the idea of UX/UI design by a artist homegirl of mine  who works for eBay out in slc. I did what I always do. Got all into the idea and even took a couple seminars thinking I was gonna do one of this bootcamps that promise a job or your money back. I havent committed. I was supposed to start one last month that seemed finally promising as the right fit. More life shit happened and I had to bail. Im glad I did because it came right at a time in between jobs and gave me the opportunity to be where I'm at currently. Which is kind of no where but not exactly. A friend of mine does prop making and set design for shows and movies filmed out of the New England area and she got me on a set out of no where. after being there for only a week I was able to have a glimpse into a world I've only dreamt about being a part of since I was a fucking kid. and the money is stupid crazy. They work insane hours but it's all union shit and I'm at the age and point in life where I think thats my ticket. I was fortunate enough to be put on the over hire list and now its just a waiting game. it could take a long fucking time to get union but its a huge step in the right direction. I'd love to be in the scenic department and work on horror movies.  As a painter and a artist it's the perfect gig. All of this is cool but I'm torn up about the tech shit. I have always wanted to be a computer nerd like some of you dudes and I truly feel like its something I could be good at. Took 2 graphic design classes at risd over the tail end of summer to get my feet wet and I really enjoyed it. 

After all that typing I'm still at square one though. No real idea what the fuck I am doing. But I feel like I'm getting closer. I am pretty set on a plan though and that is if I don't get called back to set within 2 months I'm either enrolling in said bootcamp, part time instead of full. Or enrolling in a online school for the same kind of shit just to have in the pocket. I'm in ridiculous school debt I'll never be able to pay anyways. might as well get that degree. I'm not really the type of dude who can just learn everything on my own and create that portfolio. idfk. peace. 

• Like 4
  • Props 1

@NightmareOnElmStreet

I feel you.

Kudos for all the study and all the changes of direction you've completed!

You're obviously very good at hustling things up so I actually have a lot of faith you'd be able to achieve it all.

Given what you've achieved I say follow that plan to wait for the call but if you cans wing an online course that might be more flexible when your call comes that could be a winner too.

congrats on the movie work try to stick with that because  once you're in you seem to be able to stay in. Just hard to get in.

@NightmareOnElmStreethonestly I feel like this is a pretty common theme in this thread. Seems like most of us weren't set on a path to have (or at least plan for) a future, then we wind up in our thirties still trying to make one. 

There are groups out there that can help you with your soul crushing loans. A friend I went to school with had the same debt as me, but didn't join the military. And he never, ever paid a monthly bill. Like three or four years back with  the late fees, delinquencies,  and interest piled up he was at almost 400k in. He got help from some people at a local credit union and ultimately got his debt reduced to 30k. Obviously, That is a much more managable number, and i watched him crawl out of a years long depression because of that light at the end of the tunnel.

Sounds like the movie set thing would be a dream. I hope it works out for you.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Fist 666 said:

@NightmareOnElmStreethonestly I feel like this is a pretty common theme in this thread. Seems like most of us weren't set on a path to have (or at least plan for) a future, then we wind up in our thirties still trying to make one. 

There are groups out there that can help you with your soul crushing loans. A friend I went to school with had the same debt as me, but didn't join the military. And he never, ever paid a monthly bill. Like three or four years back with  the late fees, delinquencies,  and interest piled up he was at almost 400k in. He got help from some people at a local credit union and ultimately got his debt reduced to 30k. Obviously, That is a much more managable number, and i watched him crawl out of a years long depression because of that light at the end of the tunnel.

Sounds like the movie set thing would be a dream. I hope it works out for you.

I looked into the guard a year ago for like.........a day 😩😒. I’ve been back and forth over the years on paying what I can but it’s mostly horse shit and I know exactly what I’m doing in the end. Stupidly waiting for the white knight politician to swoop down and bail me out like a million other retards. 

The film union shit is the goal with some finally finish my ten+ year old bachelors sprinkled in. 

• Props 1

Nobody here will know who I am, I was a shithead kid on here back in the day, but I have lots of love for this forum. I basically stayed in the paperchase/toy threads and quit painting graffiti by the time I was in my early 20s because fuck getting felonies for writing my name on stuff, still have a lot of love for the art and the culture and still have some nice handstyles and throws, yada yada. Channel Zero stole my childhood innocence lmao yall were fucking wyling in here. Yall have some really interesting stories and this is my first time signing in in years so why not contribute.

Far as career, I've always been horrible at math or science which has been the bane of my personal and professional existence, but also cool I guess since art and writing counts too. Reading, writing, and language always came easily to me, especially creative writing. I guess I'm good with letters whether it's writing or drawing them, though never could draw well enough for pieces lol. Or was just too lazy to learn.

I grew up loving music, playing instruments on and off, being the guy people would always want to rap at parties and shit cause I could freestyle (corny but what are ya gonna do). Made some shitty songs in high school with the homies, ripping beats off youtube and recording in audacity. Went to college for an English degree like an idiot, a lil strung out on pills half the time and in a fucked up relationship most of the time. Original plan was to be in academia since I grew up watching my dad in that world, found out that's basically impossible these days especially because fuck getting a PhD, it's a racket. I'm not trying to pay anymore tenured professor's mortgages, fuck them.

Spent lots of high school and college off and on pills, opioids are/were my shit (which is why I can't do them). Never got too strung out but did do dope with worse off homies who ended up in rehabs and what not, got in a lil trouble when I was younger and went through some of the outpatient stuff myself. Somehow never completely ruined my life with drugs or died even though I got damn close/should have so many times between benzos, alcohol, and opiates throughout high school especially, and knew lots of people who did die. Midwest livin, the pharmaceutical flood, we were bored! What can ya do.

Wrote lots and lots of creative stuff in a few genres between a few projects since high school, culminating in a poetry book that I'd love to get published, but the poetry/literary game is (unsurprisingly) circle jerk bullshit, you have to pay people to read your stuff and who knows if they actually do, and of course nobody's making a living off poetry books, you have to publish enough to get enough clout to get an actually professor job, which takes decades.

Been floating between jobs the past ten years since high school whether that's working in kitchens, tutoring, IT apprentice stuff, catering, copywriting, academic research, then bullshit temp office jobs for the past few years trying to get a foot in the door in tech marketing while applying for anything that has to do with writing. The modern job market is a nightmare.

Finally got a great break recently through someone I worked with at a company, and am hoping this marketing writing job finally works out so I can have a real career. Will probably find out in the next two weeks but the application process has been going really well and I'm killin it so far so wish me luck.

At the insistence of friends and cause I always meant to actually try seriously, been getting back into writing bArS and making songs again, trying to learn music production and make some beats too, I suck but I have fun. Had a few relationships that haven't worked out but that's life. Even bought some canvases and markers/paint a few days ago, fully ready to embark on a quarter life crisis and sell shitty art on my rap instagram/try to actually get some writing published once I can afford to submit to contests lmao. I'm in my mid 20s so I still have time to figure shit out and I'm still having fun, feel like I've lived a few lifetimes by now. Just glad I woke up.

Much love to @misteravenand so many other names this forum was legendary back in the day and it's so cool what you guys have created, and that you're bringing it back. It's important and it matters, to lots and lots of people. And I was really just a lil kid soaking it all in back in the day, yall corrupted me and for that I'm thankful LOL. I was a bombing science kid so coming to this shit was like opening a portal into the dark web lmao.

Also can yall fucking believe Mero blew up!? I'm so proud of him man, loved his posts since his 12oz/victory light blog days. Thanks for giving me a place to learn how to be a degenerate, and to try in vain to learn philly handstyles from my stupid town in the Midwest. Much love.

Edited by cola0793
  • Like 3
  • Props 1

@NightmareOnElmStreetfrom what I've heard, UX design can be an awesome career and is pretty easy to learn for someone who's actually artistically talented. But dude, the set design shit sounds like something you're genuinely interested in and would love to do...good luck with it. You have the rest of your life to do some techy shit, but if you'd love to paint for a living and be creative every day, see how it goes with set design...you never know what could happen. And don't beat yaself up either, we're all just bullshitting our way through life pretending we know what we're doing, throwing shit at the wall and trying things and seeing what sticks. You're smart and creatively talented, you'll figure it out man. And if the set design doesnt work out or wouldnt pay enough for you to be able to get rid of the debt, then you def should take on the UX stuff, tech is the way to go for money/job outlook these days. At the worst you could look at it as a necessary evil, and shit you might like it more than ya think. idk, good luck homie.

• Props 1

I forgot to tell you guys to check out teamblind.com.  It's a place where I think tech industry people talk about jobs in the tech industry.  I'm not talking about regular tech jobs, I'm talking about some of these guys ecliipse what the president's salary is.... if it's still in the 400k/yr range.  I'll be happy I think when I get above 200k/yr.  I'm not quite there yet but doing damn good for someone that didn't go to school.  I get to work from home whenever I want because doing computer work doesn't require that I'm present in any certain physical location.

To talk on what @misteravenmentioned above, things I would do differently in hindsight if I could go back, right now, to being 16 again with the same knowledge I have now:

* Would have quit smoking pot, rather than spending most of my life smoking pot.

* Would have never got into drinking, my genetics don't do well with it.  I'm like a drunk Indian, it's in my blood.... I love drinking, and that's why I don't do it.  @cola0793- this kinda mirrors what you said about opiates.

* Would have recognized that retirement doesn't mean saving a pile of money and hoping it's big enough to float to the end of life..... retirement, for me, now, means that I have enough in various areas to pay dividends that allow me to do whatever I want.  It's like a paycheck because my money is sitting somewhere in a large quantity.  I would have started saving for this immediately if I knew this when I was younger.

* Would have definitely not boned some of the girls I boned, they turned out to be real wastes of time (and I'm sure some of them still are wastes of time for other people now).

* Would have 100% spent more time with both of my grandpas.  I was just in Indiana a week ago visiting family and told some of my uncles that are into motorsports that I wish I had been older and into cars when grandpa was around because he was into motorsports and I was just a kid, not able to have those kinds of discussions with him.  If he were here today I could help him build something.  My other grandpa was a rancher, I could have learned a ton from him asking him questions that I have now but didn't when I was a kid.

* Would have stayed devoted to my faith, maybe not spent a whole lot of time doing it, but just wouldn't have strayed for so long from it.

* Would have chosen my friends better, many turned out not to be friends and some turned out to be just distant acquaintances.

* Would probably not have started doing graffiti (again @cola0793- in reference to getting in trouble for writing "rap letters"), I was a bit lost when I got into it and didn't know my direction in life very well.  I'm thankful now for the experiences I got from doing graffiti.  For a long time having a felony got in my way in the professional world, but I've made it over the hump and employers care much more about my skills than my criminal background.  Of course, I wouldn't be here graced by you fine folks' presence if I hadn't gotten into graffiti though, so I'm thankful that this aspect of it panned out for good.

Lately, we've had some amazing discussions here and I'm super thankful.  I've been telling a lot of personal friends of mine what we've been talking about on here and how wholesome and rich the different discussions are.  We get a "world view" having people from all over as members here.  Fucking amazing really is the only way I can describe it.  I'm glad @misteravenhas held it together for us for so long.  I've watched many car forums fizzle out and disappear due to reaching a slump in readership.  Not 12oz though, this place feels like it's as strong as it ever was and poised to grow even more.

• Like 2
  • Truth 1
  • Props 2

On 10/10/2019 at 11:42 AM, Joker said:

Sorry, this is a long one. I apologize for any typos or weirdly structured sentences. 

I'll start my backstory in 1989. No, not the year I was born, but the year I left art/design school. I didn't graduate, I left. Long story. 

I ended up back in the DC area and got a job at Tower Records/Video. I had no idea Tower had an art department until I worked there, and once I knew, I knew that's where I wanted to be. Within a few weeks of working there one of the artists left, the other artists knew I was an artist, and I got hired to the art department. A few years later I'm working at the art department at a Tower in Dublin, California and my girlfriend at the time was working at Nordstrom. She got chatty with the folks who did the window displays and mention of me and what I do came up, so they hired me to recreate some vintage post cards for them on 4'x6' board, for their windows. I got on really well with the Nordstrom folks, and a month later they hired me to their team. 

I worked for Nordstrom doing window displays for twenty years. Twenty... years. It was an awesome job. I learned skills I wouldn't have otherwise learned, I made lifelong friends, I got to travel often, and travel well. It also made moving with job security very easy, so I tried San Diego then back to the Bay before I eventually ended up in Portland, Oregon. Met a girl, got married, stayed put. In the late 90s the Apple iMac was introduced and I bought one. My first computer experience. I taught myself the basics of how to use Adobe Illustrator (and learned a lot from guys like Kema) during that time and started bringing it into the Graffiti I was creating, and I was doing some small time freelance design stuff. Nordstrom window displays - the way it used to work was every store had a budget and the in-store display team designed, created, and installed the window display. Somewhere in the late 90s, early oughts, Nordstrom shifted design to home base (Seattle) and set up a team to design the window displays for all stores. The idea was continuity in the consumer experience. Obviously, I wanted in on this new design department. It wasn't until about six years later that I got my chance. The director just called me out of the blue and offered me a job. It meant moving to Seattle, though. The wife and I chatted about it for a few days and she decided that if I want to do what I was meant to do, what I've wanted to do since grade school, I had to take this opportunity and see if I can make it work. So I took it. I moved to Seattle but my wife stayed in Portland. Tough, but it's only a few hours so we made it work. I learned a ton at my first design job. I knew very little about Illustrator when I think back on it. I knew nothing about Photoshop other than the auto features. I had never opened InDesign. Honestly, it's a miracle they gave me a chance considering how little I knew. That said, within a year I had learned a ton, and my aesthetic was completely different form what had been done or was being done, so it worked. After about a year we hired a guy who had recently graduated from school for architecture. I saw him working in a 3D program building out an environment for a fashion show event. I had just spent the last week designing in "3D" in Illustrator so when I saw how effortlessly he was working in this program I was blown away. The program was Sketchup, and at the time there was a free version. So I downloaded it and spent an entire week teaching myself how to use it, and the new hire helped with some tricks and tips. By the end of that week I was up and running, and the game had changed for me. Eventually I got a job as the designer for Nordstrom's Pop-In shops that Olivia Kim (of Opening Ceremony fame) was leading. After close to 2 years of living in Seattle away from wife, and visiting each other when we could, and all the travel I was doing, I felt it was time to find a job in Portland. So I created a Portfolio and set out. 

I applied for almost 22 jobs at Nike and never got one, I applied for six jobs at Adidas and never got one, I applied for a job at Columbia and got passed up, I applied for a job at Icebreaker which I almost got but the day I was supposed to go in and get my offer letter the company had decided to shift operations back to New Zealand, so I was out. I sent my portfolio to six local design agencies and heard back from two, met one for an interview, but turns out they weren't hiring they just wanted to meet me and learn more about Nordstrom, met the other but he ultimately passed on me because my InDesign skills were minimal and he really needed someone to handle deck building. Then Design Week Portland happened and I went to an open house at an agency called SET Creative because a friend worked there. While there he talked me up and got me an interview the following week, and they hired me. Different world, different pace, working at a design agency as opposed to working in the corporate world. Eventually bigger and bigger projects rolled in and I ended up designing the Jordan brand store in Toronto. Funny side note: we partnered with the agency who passed on me due to little InDesign experience. While in Toronto he and I were in a van with a bunch of other folks and everyone was talking about their career experience. When I mentioned I worked at Nordstrom that guy spoke up and said "I interviewed a guy a Nordstrom but he didn't have enough experience". I told him that was me and he was sooooo apologetic. It was kind of funny. He's an awesome guy so I took no offense, it's business, I get it. Anyway, SET Creative brought in a ton of great work, and offered me a lot of incredible opportunities, but their business practices and lack of work/life balance left me wanting to get the hell out. I got poached by another smaller agency about two years ago and I've a lot happier. We do some fun stuff and it feels more like family. Love it. 

And during all that time I was painting Graffiti, painting canvases, racing bikes, traveling the world, and moonlighting as a freelance designer for the cycling industry. There's definitely been some low points, a few high points, but overall it's been awesome. To think I was a snot-nosed kid who barely graduated high school (after dropping out in 11th grade and then going back) and dropped out of design school and I somehow made it out okay... is a good feeling. I'm fucking tired and really want to just retire (seventeen more years) but I love what I'm doing and wouldn't change a thing. 

The biggest thing along the way that kept me going was the support I received from friends and family. Family always passing along positive affirmations and friends/peers telling me I can do what I felt I couldn't, and giving me the opportunities to prove it to myself. This includes guys like @misteraven, Cody Hudson, and Caleb Neelon, and I'll always be thankful for that. 

I was wild close to getting a window display job for H&M way back before they kept doing racist ass shit with their advertising.  Had the whole double interview call back and everything. The traveling. The networking. The chicks. Fuck. That is probably one of 2 things I look back on and really wish went differently...That and leaving Portland after 7 months instead of sticking it out. But then I wouldnt have came back to the homestead and randomly knocked a girl up blessing me with the beautiful little lady I have today. So it goes.....

Ps. You mentioned Caleb Neelon. Im curious of said influence. I only know that dude from around art shows and mural folk in Boston. The montessori school I worked at had one of dudes murals in there (as well as the entire rest of the city)....

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

This box looks like phone lines to me, not electrical. 

do I need to have any concern about storing fuel over it? Specifically small lantern propane bottles and some bucket paint. 

there is a small shelf at the top of this brick wall that I would like to use for storing them. 

1E039972-884B-4D2B-8EFA-440C0CD4ABAF.jpeg

On 11/24/2019 at 10:48 AM, KILZ FILLZ said:

This box looks like phone lines to me, not electrical. 

do I need to have any concern about storing fuel over it? Specifically small lantern propane bottles and some bucket paint. 

there is a small shelf at the top of this brick wall that I would like to use for storing them. 

1E039972-884B-4D2B-8EFA-440C0CD4ABAF.jpeg

Would not recommend storing flammable gas devices inside, let alone above that Dmark.

1. That's called a Dmark, it's a device that taps into, and splits up phone lines to make on premise connections.
  2. A phone line normally carries 50v dc for dial tone, and can jump to 110v dc when it's ringing, enough to make a spark
  3. Even if the lines were all dead, an outside electrical storm could cause any gas in the coset to ignite (arcs between the Dmark and Ground)
  4. Your fuel type is a flammable gas, for this reason national building code wouldn't allow it to be stored inside under most conditions
  5. I store propane outside on my balcony in open air, so does everyone else following code correctly like gas stations etc. if you've noticed

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 1

On 11/26/2019 at 8:50 AM, Dirty_habiT said:

Are they "your lines"?  And, if so.... are you using them?  If you're not, you or an electrician could remove them from that area..... but that still doesn't make it ok to store a flammable liquid inside.

I live next to front office for the complex so probably lines for multiple units. 

• Like 1