Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

12ozProphet Professions - Education, Experience, Skillzzzzzz.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Grocery store bagger Franks nursery and crafts cashier(free paint and christmas trees) Tacobell (fired 5 days in a row) William sanoma Oilchange place Started my first busines

I am a nightmare walking, psychopath talking. I'm basically the King of my jungle just a gangster stalking. I'm living life like a firecracker quick is my fuse and then dead as a deathpack,  the color

Graduated high school from a juvenile detention facility near Philadelphia PA at 16 years old. Got released at 17 and have been on my own since. Rest of my teens and 20's I never kept a job for very l

Posted Images

@Limeliciouztheres a ski resort close by so there’s a ton of seasonal workers. Was surprised by how many rather sleep in vehicles than sublet or rent something. Saw one girl that converted the back seat and trunk to basically a big bed. She lived in it along with her dog for almost the entire season, so about 5 months. Just did laundry at a laundromat and had a month to month gym membership to shower. Still no idea how she pulled it off so long, but she was from Alaska and said she loved the freedom of it and has been doing it a while. When she gets bored, she just takes off and does other seasonal jobs in other places but since she only spends on food and a bit of gas, she can actually just take weeks off as she wants. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, misteraven said:

Willing to bet its because you were local. Same way talented in-house guys get passed up for not so talented long shots that play the game right at other companies and then leave inside of 6 months.

Some of them I found out I was passed up because I wasn’t considered a good fit with the rest of the team. Knowing those teams, that meant I was too old or too plain... I mean, I haven’t tucked and rolled my jeans since 1984 and I refuse to wear a beanie precariously perched on top of my head so it looks like a neon knitted condom reservoir tip. I’ll stick to Levi’s and hoodies, thanks. A few of them I was passed up before I even arrived for the interview. Nike posts jobs sometimes even though they already have someone internally to fill it. It doesn’t really matter, though. I’m glad I got passed up because working at an agency and doing a lot of work for Nike has shown me how crazed it is at Nike HQ, how much money is wasted, and how connected everyone has to be. It’s a fashion show where everyone is wearing the same shit, and no one is cooler than themselves. Obviously there’s good people there doing great things, and I’ve enjoyed being part of their projects, but I personally feel better about ending up in the agency side knowing what I now know. 

8 hours ago, morton said:

at Joker

I wanna see some windows.

Thanks for sharing.

Kind of hard to say it without sounding like a tool, but Nordstorm really set the standard for quality customer service in Seattle and I think that is part of why you get better service there than in some other parts of the country. 

Looking back... nah, those windows are embarrassing when I compare it to what I’ve done in he last five years. 

Nordstrom prides itself on that customer experience. It’s something each store manager talks about every day with the store employees as a group before the doors open. Obviously, not everyone has a great experience but Nordstrom has a pretty good reputation regardless. 

6 hours ago, misteraven said:

@Limeliciouztheres a ski resort close by so there’s a ton of seasonal workers. Was surprised by how many rather sleep in vehicles than sublet or rent something. Saw one girl that converted the back seat and trunk to basically a big bed. She lived in it along with her dog for almost the entire season, so about 5 months. Just did laundry at a laundromat and had a month to month gym membership to shower. Still no idea how she pulled it off so long, but she was from Alaska and said she loved the freedom of it and has been doing it a while. When she gets bored, she just takes off and does other seasonal jobs in other places but since she only spends on food and a bit of gas, she can actually just take weeks off as she wants. 

I knew a guy who lived like this,  ate humble pie every day and saved every cent he could. He worked 3-4 months a year and backpacked the rest of it . He had seen more of the world on foot than probably most people see by car. Dude had done hundreds of thousands of miles, after food and airfare his biggest expense was boots, of which I think he went through like 8 pairs a year if I remember correctly. 

• Like 2

That’s beatiful. I want that freedom. Just living and exploring nature yknow. Even in the city actually. I like my city. There’s just alotta crackheads about so yeah. I don’t want to go out alone lol. Thats also a point with going to a natural enviroment tho by the way. Whateva I’ll figure it out then

6 hours ago, Fist 666 said:

I knew a guy who lived like this,  ate humble pie every day and saved every cent he could. He worked 3-4 months a year and backpacked the rest of it . He had seen more of the world on foot than probably most people see by car. Dude had done hundreds of thousands of miles, after food and airfare his biggest expense was boots, of which I think he went through like 8 pairs a year if I remember correctly. 

A good friend of mine graduated a few years ago with a masters in aerospace engineering, he was an extremely talented mechanic as well. Basically he knew that all he really wanted in life was to ride around the US on his KLR with friends, camping and working small jobs as he went. Turned out to be one of the most genuine and honest person I know... I wish I had the balls to just ride off on an adventure whenever I felt like it

• Like 1
  • Truth 2

OK so while I wait for an answer from a customer, I'll go ahead and add to this.

So basically I do not have a degree unless you count The School of Hard Knocks then I would have an associates degree plus some...

Anyhow, with that being said, I started working for a machine shop (got the job because my father is a machinist) and slaved there for 7+ years, then moved to NC for 8 months during the end of 2007 and left the beginning of 2008.  So at this point I came back home and got a job machining for the O&G industry and as I slaved yet again for another 5 years.

I came to the realization that I am going to make 'X' amount of money, never really go any where and always be working for someone.  So I then started to think if I wanna make more money and be a little more free, then what are my options?  No Degree limits me very quickly.  So since "systematic oppression" with the benefits of school debt didn't make any sense, my only option I had was to start a business.  And that's were I had to really look at myself and think what are my strengths and weaknesses (what am I good at?), which ultimately helped narrow down what my options will be. 

Three months in thinking of a good exit strategy.  Remind you, I never owned a business so this was going to be the first for me.  Just gotta take that step.  I was at work doing my job as I am pondering the exit...  I came across Laser Engraving (not sure how that entered my mind) on the internet, and as soon as I seen it I fell in love with it and said to myself, 'THAT'S IT!!"  That's what I am going to do, that's the business I will start.  
I had no prior experience with lasers and never seen one other than youtube.  So I had to force myself to learn everything there is as quickly as possible and I am still learning.

I took two years to save up for my first machine all while still employed as a payed slave, then it took 1.5 years extra (2014-2015 Oil and Gas Fall) when I told myself, "Well, I will never know if I am going to make it or not, so I better take the next step and quit my job."  I DID!!  

It took two years to learn how light works so I could become confident or at least make the targeted customer to feel confident in giving me work, but of course I have a machining background so that has helped with the sales pitch.

Ever since, I have been in business and still building for the fifth year and a few months shy of year 6 as I write this.

So yeah, basically I own a One-Man-Band Laser Marking company that offers marking services for Commercial & Industrial applications (indoor signage and part marking).

• Like 2
1 hour ago, ndv said:

So yeah, basically I own a One-Man-Band Laser Marking company that offers marking services for Commercial & Industrial applications (indoor signage and part marking).

Assume you're making a living since you're about 6 years in? How's it compare to the stability and income of having a paid job working for someone else?

2 hours ago, misteraven said:

Assume you're making a living since you're about 6 years in? How's it compare to the stability and income of having a paid job working for someone else?

I would say it is about the same however, it's a little tough at times due to industry cycles / stability.  Don't get me wrong sometimes I feel like the hell and go back working for someone.  

@misteraven I would say it is about the same however, it's a little tough at times due to industry cycles / stability.  Don't get me wrong sometimes I feel like the hell and go back working for someone.  

Income?  I would say it depends.  I mean don't get me wrong there is always going to be a market cap in everything plus competition.  But it depends on the jobs you take and if they are even worth it?  That's one of the biggest things I have been leaning for the past 6 years,  which is finding what industries and jobs/products are profitable within those industries.  So really as young as I am in business that is a tough question to answer because a business is always growing.  Although, I have money in that bank, bills are paid, opposed to when I was working for someone, it was merely pay-check-to-pay-check.  

Stability?  I think that is also a very tough question to answer as well, because again, I think it really depends on the type of business you run, where you fall in at in that industry and specialty.   But I do not think that is an answer to your question.  The answer:  it's stable and healthy growth. 

I hope I wasn't sounding condescending when I was introducing which I can now kinda see that.  Not a good word smith, that's probably why I fire lasers instead of being a Psychologist because I would probably ending saying something that I didn't mean it that way, and the patient took it that wrong way and committed suicide.  It's best if I just lase!

• LOL! 2

LOL, no didnt reads it like that at all man. Figured as much, but always interested in hearing stories, especially ones where people might be wrestling with trying to solve similar problems.

Having your own business is certainly not easy and its a bummer to me that beside the odds of success are not stacked in our favor, that there's all sorts of legislation and other circumstance that has evolved over time that makes it that more difficult to navigate through.

Can't remember where I read a stat that American entrepreneurship has been on a steady decline for decades.

You know, a day ago I was just thing about the odds in regards to legislation, and honestly I kinda get the impression most of these laws are set / lobbied by corporaterations to keep competition at bay or at least the laws seem tough financially for startups in hope to manifest discouragement all while the corporations who lobbied these laws are the ones who don't not practice what they preach because really the law wasn't for them in the first place.  You know?   

Edited by ndv
  • Truth 2

Since it was brought up earlier, I might be able to provide a little insight on my military experience. 

I joined the Navy in 2006, volunteered for Submarine service as a Sonar Technician and am still in, recently got my Chief anchors pinned on.  It's been quite an experience and in retrospect if I hadn't gone with submarines it likely would not have been for me. I was 19 when I joined (so 32 now),  barely got through high school, was delivering food in Denver and was completely broke.  Saw it as a way out due to me having a crippling fear of student loans or debt in general.

I have been in New England for the entire time. Multiple deployments, good and bad experiences, but big picture it has become an actual career which I am thankful for.  I hated my first tour, but did well enough to get in to special programs and be stationed on the USS Constitution in Boston for 3 years following, which was an awesome time and sold me on doing 20. Went back to a boat for another 4 year tour in an actual leadership role where I found out I truly enjoy guiding and developing the young (or just junior) Sailors.  Now I'm on shore as an instructor for the guys (and now girls) that are on the boats, doing the job.

CT has been my home for the majority of the time.  Bought a house.  Got married.  Became a dad X2. Got the dog, lawn and gang of chickens.  

The tough part in long work hours, unpredictable schedule and dealing with the entire ocean trying to kill you constantly. I have my wife who makes it easier because she's solid as fuck and takes care of everything when I'm out to sea. I have a little over 6 years and I retire and start a new career. 

• Props 4

You guys get to play with the real lasers.  The closest I get to DoD is third party part marking and labels.   Waiting for my CAGE so I can bid direct.  Thank you for your service @SQUIRREL You Sir, are a Gentleman and a Scholar. 

Edited by ndv
  • Props 1

Graduated with a poli sci bachelors degree, worked for various campaigns for both parties. In between campaigns I worked for various 401 3c's to pay the bills. I met a lot of cool people that were passionate about their work, also met a lot of assholes who basically were involved because mom and dad were financial contributors and needed someone to babysit them. I basically started as an analyst and strategist, breaking down information so we could allocate funds in areas that would have the greatest positive impact on the campaign or fundraiser.

On the side I worked with a friend in the moving and logistics business. Started as a laborer and gained respect from my ability to run large commercial jobs. later on I would get promoted to an operations manager and oversee multiple projects and make sure we were profitable. it was a really stressful job that was 24/7 but it always felt good to complete a job successfully.

Now I'm at a new company were I basically make sure my drivers are doing whats required of them, fill out a form while I ride passenger with them and file it at the  end of the day. Easiest job ever and i make Bank, and my only complaint is it gets boring a lot of times

• Like 3

Hopefully more people chime in on what they did, but maybe some of you guys that have already posted can circle back around and drop comments on what you might have done different in regards to education and occupation now that you have the benefit of hindsight. 

Me... I wish I’d been more focused and realized the benefit of locking down a super solid foundation and then stay on it steady building in a single direction. Either that or maybe become a weapons exporter like those dudes in whatever movie it was where they bullshitted their way into major weapons contracts. 

Been marinating on wtf to say in here for a minute. I picked around a good bit and definitely found some common ground. So heres my shit.

I started working at a grocery store for tips when I was 14 years old. In between that and skateboarding I also worked at a seafood restaurant in the basement. I've had a lot of different gigs over the years and I'm barely close to what I consider the finish line. Had no fuckin idea what to do with myself after high school. Nobody in my family, or my neighborhood went to college and no one talked about it. I barely knew it was even a option and it wasn't until late ass senior year I started hearing some acquaintances  rapping about where they were going. The buzz happened and once I figured out I could gtfo of my town with some death sentence loan I was all over it. Moms helped me find a junior college cause I was in the remedials with the other special or mislead youth. Signed a bunch of fucking papers neither one of us knew a damn thing about and I was off. 

I chose criminal justice because my black history teacher told me to....LOL. THIS SHIT IS SAD AND FUNNY BUT MOSTLY SAD TO TYPE OUT. Anyways, I always loved Boston from all my skate trips and thats where I was headed. Surprisingly, I did really fucking well. Better grades than I ever had in HS. All of my professors were adjunct lawyers and I received a lot of encouragement to stick with it. The plan was to transfer into a real school with a serious law program and keep on trucking. I got my little Associates, got into some good institutions and settled on Suffolk U. because of their renowned law school. Signed a bunch more loan papers with mom dukes, got a work study and a part time job at a deli and got to crackin. This was when my rap lettering started fucking with my life. Had already gotten bagged once or twice for other shit but I ended up needing a lawyer and from that experience I stupidly decided law wasn't for me and bailed completely. Leaned into history & education, got a job at American apparel with the rest of the hipsters, floundered into a deadly dark depression and consequently got pushed out/dropped out of school. Unfortunately, I fell victim to the got a real job and never went back shit. 

Since then, I was a preschool teacher for many years dabbling in more coursework here and there towards a official degree but somehow knew I wasn't too sold on the life move. I got locked up for rap letters and started realizing that shit might for sure not be my move. Nevertheless, I stayed in early ed for a number of years while simultaneously beginning to make appearances in the more profitable section of rap letter art having shows and selling things. Got into dj'ing pretty heavy which was lucrative but not enough to survive on alone. Had a studio going off and did a little traveling for it but nothing crazy. (this is probably one of many mistakes created by a lack of focus/discipline) Moved out to pdx to pursue the early ed/ art teacher thing and maybe make more of a personal attempt at something relatable (RIP POZ forever for introducing me to some of the right peoples). Didn't work out and I went back to CT with my tail between my legs. 

Next chapter, and a fast forward to now....Had random unplanned child, got a job in blue collar manual labor land painting houses because child care teachers make shit money. Sadly even the most dedicated teachers, non public, early childhood, are drastically under paid. Been in and out of this painting shit (cause I'm still in it today) and 2 years ago I decided I fuckin hated painting enough to get out but since I had nothing else to go back to I ended up finding a art teacher gig at a Montessori school in Cambridge. 2017-2018. This shit was a huge eye opener on a lot of levels, primarily, I was fuckin over kids especially after having my own. That and probably the place I was at. Super rich, crunchy hipster families. The kind of place with rap letter murals and 4 year olds dressed in Patagonia down to the socks. Confusing. Annoying as fuck. Ultimatley, a deal breaker. I am old now, younger than plenty of you all but whatever. I've done a bunch of shit and after reading a good deal of the posts in here I can relate to the "done did it all" or a lot of it and none. Dabbler of many. Talented at a lot. Master of fucking nothing. 

In the last year and change I was introduced to the idea of UX/UI design by a artist homegirl of mine  who works for eBay out in slc. I did what I always do. Got all into the idea and even took a couple seminars thinking I was gonna do one of this bootcamps that promise a job or your money back. I havent committed. I was supposed to start one last month that seemed finally promising as the right fit. More life shit happened and I had to bail. Im glad I did because it came right at a time in between jobs and gave me the opportunity to be where I'm at currently. Which is kind of no where but not exactly. A friend of mine does prop making and set design for shows and movies filmed out of the New England area and she got me on a set out of no where. after being there for only a week I was able to have a glimpse into a world I've only dreamt about being a part of since I was a fucking kid. and the money is stupid crazy. They work insane hours but it's all union shit and I'm at the age and point in life where I think thats my ticket. I was fortunate enough to be put on the over hire list and now its just a waiting game. it could take a long fucking time to get union but its a huge step in the right direction. I'd love to be in the scenic department and work on horror movies.  As a painter and a artist it's the perfect gig. All of this is cool but I'm torn up about the tech shit. I have always wanted to be a computer nerd like some of you dudes and I truly feel like its something I could be good at. Took 2 graphic design classes at risd over the tail end of summer to get my feet wet and I really enjoyed it. 

After all that typing I'm still at square one though. No real idea what the fuck I am doing. But I feel like I'm getting closer. I am pretty set on a plan though and that is if I don't get called back to set within 2 months I'm either enrolling in said bootcamp, part time instead of full. Or enrolling in a online school for the same kind of shit just to have in the pocket. I'm in ridiculous school debt I'll never be able to pay anyways. might as well get that degree. I'm not really the type of dude who can just learn everything on my own and create that portfolio. idfk. peace. 

• Like 4
  • Props 1

@NightmareOnElmStreet

I feel you.

Kudos for all the study and all the changes of direction you've completed!

You're obviously very good at hustling things up so I actually have a lot of faith you'd be able to achieve it all.

Given what you've achieved I say follow that plan to wait for the call but if you cans wing an online course that might be more flexible when your call comes that could be a winner too.

congrats on the movie work try to stick with that because  once you're in you seem to be able to stay in. Just hard to get in.