Culture Jamming - attempts to awaken the minds of the unwashed masses

KILZ FILLZ

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I get these news letters about once a month. Going to start copy/paste the body of it in this thread. 

— — — 

Hey Jammer,

Harper's Magazine recently published "A Letter on Justice and Open Debate,” which was signed by 132 well-known people including Margaret Atwood, Salman Rushdie, Gary Kasparov, Malcom Gladwell, Gloria Steinem, J.K. Rowling, Noam Chomsky, and Wynton Marsalis.

"Powerful protests for racial and social justice are leading to overdue demands for police reform, along with wider calls for greater equality and inclusion across our society, not least in higher education, journalism, philanthropy, and the arts," according to its 132 signatories. "But this needed reckoning has also intensified a new set of moral attitudes and political commitments that tend to weaken our norms of open debate and toleration of differences in favor of ideological conformity."

The response has been strident. "The signatories, many of them white, wealthy, and endowed with massive platforms, argue that they are afraid of being silenced," in the words of one response, "that so-called cancel culture is out of control, and that they fear for their jobs and free exchange of ideas, even as they speak from one of the most prestigious magazines in the country."

Where do you stand? Let us know . . . drop us a line on social media or at editor@adbusters.org, or give us a call at the number below.

• 3 weeks later...

All right, all you activists:

It’s been nine years since we set off the political earthquake of #OccupyWallStreet, laying siege to NYC’s Zuccotti Park and inspiring thousands of similar protests around the world.

The Occupy anniversary arrives September 17th, 2020. And it may be the perfect day to trigger another global big-bang moment — a massive collective action of the sweetest kind of disobedience.

The why hardly needs recitation. Because, for these nine years, the shadows have only grown longer. Inequality has soared. Not a single Wall Street CEO spent a night in jail for his role in the 2008 financial meltdown. Politicians and corporate criminals continue to savage the public trust with impunity. And all the while, this howling void of a president, his sins too many to name, sits smugly atop a corona death-toll that may surpass two-hundred thousand Americans by Christmas.

It’s time again for dramatic, decisive action. Which is why, on September 17th, in the original and enduring spirit of Occupy, we and tens of thousands of our fellow citizens will stream into Lafayette Square, in Washington. D.C.

We will lay siege to the White House. And we will sustain it for exactly fifty days. This is the #WhiteHouseSiege.

A siege only works if it is sustained. We witnessed this — the multiplying power of a strategic occupation — nine years ago. You dig in, hold your ground, and the tension accumulates, amplifies, goes global.

Fifty days — September 17th to November 3rd.

Let us once again summon the sweet, revolutionary nonviolence that was our calling card in Zuccotti Park.

#WhiteHouseSiege will electrify the U.S. election season — and it doesn’t stop there. Drawing wind from #MeToo, #BLM, #ExtinctionRebellion, and protests against Trump’s lethal bungling of coronavirus, we’ll inspire a global movement of systemic change — a Global Spring — a cultural heave towards a new world order.

What is our one demand? We want to collaborate with you — brainstorm tactics with you — spark a revolution with you. We need your voice of wisdom and expertise to pull off a radically democratic toneshift in our politics. If you would like to either contribute or just shoot the shit, drop us a line at blackspotcollective@adbusters.org. Or submit your ideas to us using the form below.

First, let's get our tactics in order. Then, let's screw up our courage, stuff our backpacks with the tools of nonviolent revolution, and head to Lafayette Square with intelligence to match our spirits — starting September 17th.

Jammers, citizens, activists:

‍There are many ways to think about this #WhiteHouseSiege. Is it a beautiful jam? A civic exorcism? A spectacular sayonara party for Dear Donald? All of the above, absolutely — but let us not ignore the dark forces also at work.

Time is short. Shall we rely on William Barr to interpret the law justly, in the interest of all Americans? On the police or military to drag Trump from the White House when he loses? On the grace and civility of the alt-right hordes and white supremacists? Of course not. By now it’s clear that Trump and his sycophants will do anything to prevent Joe Biden from taking office, including crippling the Postal Service. There is no limit to their cynicism, no end to their corruption.

That’s why it’s critical for us the people to show our strength . . . to be there in the hundreds of thousands, invigilators of our great democracy, to remind this authoritarian regime of our significance, our will, and our power. The survival of the American experiment — the American spirit — requires nothing less.

We will not let Donald Trump steal the election!

Phase One runs from Occupy's ninth anniversary, September 17th, to Election Day — a fifty-day siege on the White House. This is the #WhiteHouseSiege. And, if need be, we will be ready to reconvene at any time after that to ensure the peaceful transition of power.

So, over the next few weeks, screw up your courage, stuff your backpack with the tools of nonviolent revolution, and bring intelligence to match your enthusiasm. Together we can resuscitate a sick and dying nation, reawaken its better angels, and rekindle the true essence of democracy.

If you want to brainstorm, contribute, or just have a chat, drop us a line at blackspotcollective@adbusters.org.

See you in Lafayette Square on September 17th.

Hey All you Activists out there,

The #WhiteHouseSiege will electrify the U.S. election season — but it doesn’t stop there.

Drawing wind from #MeToo, #BLM, #ExtinctionRebellion, and protests against Trump’s lethal bungling of coronavirus, we’ll inspire a global movement of systemic change — a Global Spring — a cultural heave towards a new world order.

If you missed them, read Tactical Briefing #1 here and #2 here.

There are many ways to think about it. Is it a beautiful jam? A civic exorcism? A spectacular sayonara party for Dear Donald? All of the above, absolutely — but let us not ignore the dark forces also at work.

‍Time is short. Will we rely on William Barr to interpret the law justly, in the interest of all Americans? On the police or military to drag Trump from the White House when he loses? On the grace and civility of the alt-right hordes and white supremacists? Of course not.

That’s why it’s critical for us the people to show our strength . . . to be there in the hundreds of thousands, invigilators of our great democracy, to remind this authoritarian regime of our significance, our will, and our power. The survival of the American experiment — the American spirit — requires nothing less.

Phase One runs from Occupy's ninth anniversary, September 17th, to Election Day — a 50-day siege on the White House. This is the #WhiteHouseSiege.

‍If you want to brainstorm, contribute, or just have a chat, drop us a line at blackspotcollective@adbusters.org.

See you in Lafayette Square starting on September 17th.

On 8/12/2020 at 3:18 AM, One Man Banned said:

I don't recall that OWS accomplished much of anything the first time around other than the largest mass gathering of stinky people in NY since Woodstock.

It was sabotaged by agent provocateurs

people starting fights so then police couldn’t call it a peaceful gathering any longer

and intervene

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/25/nyregion/occupy-movement-was-investigated-by-fbi-counterterrorism-agents-records-show.html

On 8/19/2020 at 9:59 AM, KILZ FILLZ said:

It was sabotaged by agent provocateurs

people starting fights so then police couldn’t call it a peaceful gathering any longer

and intervene

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/25/nyregion/occupy-movement-was-investigated-by-fbi-counterterrorism-agents-records-show.html

I know the story but I think it speaks to prior opinions I've posted about OWS and Americans in general sucking at protesting, as well as this being a weak/disorganized movement.  When criminals infiltrate law enforcement and are found out, we blame law enforcement, not the criminals.  The reverse is maybe a better example- if you're a criminal and you allow someone from law enforcement to infiltrate your business you may end up dead.  I know, OWS people aren't criminals per se, but in the least they're more related to counterculture and should expect this type of shit to occur from "the man" or "big brother."  I guess I don't have a lot of sympathy for the hijacked movement excuse.  

BTW that article you posted only mentions investigation/intel gathering, not sure if you were posting it to make the point of what you wrote.  What did draw my attention because I've thought of this before is the amount of investigating and the paths they followed, and would loop that back to 12oz in terms of what measures might they have taken when a group like Anonymous mentions 12oz.

The reason I linked that article is because it lays out how OWS was labeled as a terrorist group and confirms the FBI and DHS were investigating them. yeah, it doesn’t specifically mention a sting, but I don’t think they would admit that. Because nothing criminal was going down. 

Yeah Americans suck at protesting  Seems like the message and goals are always fractured and the base is easily broken up. This could be because whenever a leader steps up and is visible, they end up being assassinated, get killed under peculiar circumstances or get disappeared ...

Like these fellows :

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/puzzling-number-men-tied-ferguson-protests-have-died-n984261

It doesn't take much to get labeled or investigated, look at the Kingsmen and "Louie Louie."  

There's plenty they won't admit to regardless of circumstances, notrustoner.  

I don't like the dead leader theory.  Gangs, politicians, they're like Hydra, you cut off the head and another replaces it.  The fight for "good," "right," or "justice" need be no different.  I believe Americans are, for one thing, misdirected in their protests.  Keeping it to OWS, I said before that I thought it was kind of stupid to put their efforts into blocking corporate jackasses from driving into work.  The jackasses turn their luxury car or limo around and take a day of golf, eat a steak dinner, and go to bed.  It doesn't hurt them much.  The corporate gears are still turning and their companies continue to make money.  To be clear, it's totally fair to be angry at these corporations, shame them, protest, boycott, anything.  And it would be great if any of that made those companies develop some responsibility or change their ways, but it doesn't.  What's lost in this is how things came to be, which was through politicians granting favors, privileges, passing laws advantageous to corporations, bailing them out for reprehensible behavior.  If Americans focused more on our political jackasses I believe more would get accomplished.  On more local levels, I've always enjoyed the stories where people protested a representative or senator by protesting directly outside that politician's local office.  Usually pisses them off and leads to quick resolution, Joe Arpaio being a possible exception.  

On the link you posted, I won't deny it being suspicious, especially as notrustoner.  However, it's pretty weak as a conspiracy theory given that black males living in the inner city face those fates regularly without Ferguson.  

damn bro @One Man Bannedyou just put me on game. I never knew that about the song. 

Takeaways -

I think this is still the case, and covers OWS:

J. Edgar Hoover formed the Counter Intelligence Program, or COINTELPRO, in order to “expose, disrupt, misdirect, discredit, or otherwise neutralize” groups that threatened the status quo. 

———

this is the first time I ever knew what that song says other than the title. The lines are dope. I wonder if there’s ever been a roots cover of Louie Louie? Was the original reggae? :

Me see Jamaica moon above
It won't be long, me see my love
Me take her in my arms and then
I tell her I never leave again

———

back to the topic at hand -

I am also notrustoner. Big time. I’ve seen the beast from the inside and its very disheartening 

I appreciate your comparison to an org being like a hydra. And cutting of the heads leading to more heads. Always someone vying for power and filling the vacuum happily. Very true. 

but my counter point would be -

the destabilization and inconstancy that comes with continual changes in leadership has negative effects. I’m such an old fart everything always come back to work for me, but - if the leadership of an area has constant change, the area suffers. Each new person put at the helm has their own morals and own ideas of how things should be done. CEO down to Foreman. The whole thing. You need consistency and stable leadership people can count on. Otherwise there is uncertainty. “This is my system”. “Things should be done this way”. “When I was at _____, we did things this way”. “I was trained to do it this way”. Everyone who takes the helm changes things to reflect their philosophy. systems, processes and standards fluctuate and the workforce suffers due to changing guidelines. People do best when they know what’s expected of them and what they need to do without thinking about it. They do best when they know over time expectations stay the same. If the leadership is constantly changing the output is unstable. I know we are talking protest groups but I feel like this applies. 

Same thing seems to be true on a much larger scale, countries. Constant change in Leadership of countries never allows them to stabilize. Is this the case with Africa and Persia? Not a polo-sci or history guy, but seems this way. No?

Enjoying this convo. 

Louie Louie was an older song covered by The Kingsmen.  Don't recall the history 100% without looking but it was either a blues song or it came from or is based off a Spanish rhythm.  It's been covered by dozens of people/groups.  I'm partial to the original and I enjoy the Motorhead and Black Flag versions.  Louie Louie is a good example of the government's paranoia but there are similar ones from the same time period.  We know the gov looked into John Lennon/The Beatles for example because of his expressed views and music.  They've investigated other creative types too.

Mostly agree re: leaders however I'd argue that you can replace a leader with another of similar qualities and characteristics with the same results so long as you maintain the stability you mentioned around other variables.  I have my own inside view that has disgusted me and what you describe is true as far as someone new is always coming along trying to tinker with shit that isn't broke, trying to apply their vision to it, mainly to look like they do/did something so they can try to move on up to a higher position they're not qualified for.  Such is the way of government.  On the other hand, a lot of our leaders in government are what I refer to as the curdled cream of the crop.  Lot of people doing a job most nobody else wants, we're not always looking at the best of the best here.

Moving back to protestors though, it's kind of like know your enemy.  You want to take on the government, or big corporations, you need to have some awareness of their tactics, how far they're willing to go, etc., and you need to be prepared for that defensively and offensively.  OWS got crushed in what- a month or so?  Not a very strong movement or organization IMO.

• Truth 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

https://coronadotimes.com/news/2020/10/28/some-coronado-residents-wake-to-racism-lives-here-yard-signs/

281C0357-18E8-481D-8A8B-D52BC02E562D.thumb.jpeg.ad82104140dd9c08114e8489b89b626d.jpeg

This morning, some Coronado residents found unwanted signs on their lawns with the text “Racism Lives Here” followed by “Make America Great Again!” The signs are similar in format to the Trump-Pence 2020 yard signs.

According to Coronado Police Department spokesperson Lea Corbin, the signs were in the yards of homes where Trump flags or Trump signs were on the property. By late afternoon the dispatch center had received seven calls for service, and officers responded and spoke to each of the residents that had called in. CPD is in the process of collecting camera footage from a few of the homes and is working to identify the person or people who left the signs.

While stealing a political sign is a petty theft, “simply placing a sign in another’s yard, may be unwanted, but not a crime,” said Corbin.

Officers will be out and about patrolling and will continue to monitor the situation.

27B0CBC7-7906-4585-9981-C35CF071CB25.thumb.jpeg.bea1870d672984211d6875ebf05ada69.jpeg

@misteraven

@Dirty_habiT

unable to paste in plain text after latest update is 

• Like 3
  • LOL! 1

Tactical Briefing #11

Hey Jammer,

Shop windows are boarded up. National Guard troops are on stand-by. The threat of violence looms over the nation. This is not Colombia, or Nigeria, or Ethiopia: this is America, in the midst of deciding not only who will be its highest official, but whether its fate will be to heal or to fail. The physical and spiritual wellbeing of millions could either be made to mend or further imperiled depending on the outcome. And in the teetering, breath-catching balance hangs the political, economic, and environmental health not just of a once mighty republic but of the entire planet.

The tally, too close to call, is still underway. The final count may not be known for days or even weeks — as in the election of 2000, when the Supreme Court confirmed the name of the 43rd president as late as December. But even then, that unusual election was nothing like the present one. The Trump presidency, never mind George W. Bush's, has upended the norms and expectations of democratic society to the point where nothing seems certain and everything is vulnerable to disruption.

In keeping with the vulgarity and upset that has characterized his tenure, Trump, having prematurely called for ballot-casting to halt, has already claimed victory. In other words, as we predicted in Tactical Briefing #2, Trump is trying to steal the election.

Trump's subversion of the rule of law cannot prevail. His disregard for the People's will and sovereignty cannot go unchecked. Depending on the way things pan out in the coming hours, days, and weeks to come, the nation could be either redeemed or undone. There is no in-between.

History is at a crossroads. But what comes next has not yet been written. We the people — you — have the authority and power to change the course.

Now more than ever, your actions count. What will you do?

Let's work in solidarity. Send your thoughts to blackspotcollective@adbusters.org to start a conversation.

(briefing 2, referenced in para 3)

Jammers, citizens, activists:

‍There are many ways to think about this #WhiteHouseSiege. Is it a beautiful jam? A civic exorcism? A spectacular sayonara party for Dear Donald? All of the above, absolutely — but let us not ignore the dark forces also at work.

Time is short. Shall we rely on William Barr to interpret the law justly, in the interest of all Americans? On the police or military to drag Trump from the White House when he loses? On the grace and civility of the alt-right hordes and white supremacists? Of course not. By now it’s clear that Trump and his sycophants will do anything to prevent Joe Biden from taking office, including crippling the Postal Service. There is no limit to their cynicism, no end to their corruption.

We will not let Donald Trump steal the election!

Phase One runs from Occupy's ninth anniversary, September 17th, to Election Day — a fifty-day siege on the White House. This is the #WhiteHouseSiege. And, if need be, we will be ready to reconvene at any time after that to ensure the peaceful transition of power.

So, over the next few weeks, screw up your courage, stuff your backpack with the tools of nonviolent revolution, and bring intelligence to match your enthusiasm. Together we can resuscitate a sick and dying nation, reawaken its better angels, and rekindle the true essence of democracy.

If you want to brainstorm, contribute, or just have a chat, drop us a line at blackspotcollective@adbusters.org.