Went to a Starbucks for the first time in like two years and...

KILZ FILLZ

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I think it might put hair on your ass.  My work has an espresso machine.  I'm not here for the water, just the caffeine.  People say they like the flavor of coffee but I've never heard anyone say yes when I ask them if they'd chew black coffee flavored bubble gum.  Same with beer.  I don't think anyone would chew beer flavored bubble gum and if you would hit yourself with an unopened beer in the head.

You’re wrong. I love the taste of coffee and would drink decaf if that’s all there was. Espresso is biter af and it’s basically a shot. You don’t get the mood of sitting there sipping and enjoying the moment with people. You ever go for coffee with someone, they order espresso, drink it within 5 mins then just sit there? 

Its a whole different vibe. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dirty_habiT said:

@misteraven- I've found that if I don't buy things on Amazon I save a lot more money in between my checks, it's actually quite ridiculous how much you can spend on impulse there.  In response to considering purchases a lot more, lately I've been putting things in my cart on Amazon and not buying them for a few days.  I'll go back in a few days and decide if it's really something I need/want right now, and if it is I will either buy it then or plan to buy it soon.  There are many things that I end up "saving for later".  Amazon has created this way of queue'ing up purchases that no other store has done before really.  I've actually got a list of shit I want to get in the future.  I think that's really an excellent business model if you can get people doing that..... and it's obvious in how much revenue that company makes.

Yeah, I do that myself actually. I have a pretty extensive series of lists in my wish list and use it to sort of window shop. I end up planning forward for things I feel we need around the property and categorize based on areas of the house. Then assemble a wish list from that based upon research on what has good reviews and seems to be the best fit. Then I just leave it sitting there until I have funds and will revisit and prioritize. Amazing how often I've ended up dismissing something I thought I needed or wanted or ended up finding a better solution for it. 

Also after leaving NYC and changing my lifestyle, its hard to ignore the thousands, if not tens of thousands of dollars, spent on stuff that I felt I needed or wanted and now is just mostly collecting dust. Coupled with how many business opportunities I'd had to disregard, post pone or half step on, it brings to light a large shift in my thinking.

Obviously I like cool / good shit as much as the next guy, but definitely thinking bigger picture these days.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hua Guofang said:

Are you cafe nubes actually hitting up espresso these days?

The one thing I used to fucking hate about working in the States was the drip coffee SHITE and the keurig fuck in a cup crap. Stuff tasted like burnt go fuck yourself.

Starbucks, that shit is more American than America. sugary plastic cup of fuck off.

I cant drink coffee and only drink espresso. To me espresso tastes the way coffee smells. The caffein hit is nice, but usually if I'm chasing that, I'll go with caffein gum instead since the caffein hits smoother and more even and doesn't give you that rot gut you get from steady drinking coffee / espresso. That said, I most often drink it as an iced latte instead of straight shots, but I'm good with either. I do generally sweeten slightly with stevia, but dont necessarily have to. I drink for the taste and will go through the trouble of finding quality beans. I wont very often compromise and drink starbucks espresso, unless I'm in a road trip situation and don't have access to quality. I have traveled with my own beans / grinder / stove top espresso maker as well.

Maybe just me, but I'm also the same with beer and wine. I'll fuck off with friends, but if I'm buying it to enjoy, I want to actually enjoy it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kults said:

You’re wrong. I love the taste of coffee and would drink decaf if that’s all there was. Espresso is biter af and it’s basically a shot. You don’t get the mood of sitting there sipping and enjoying the moment with people. You ever go for coffee with someone, they order espresso, drink it within 5 mins then just sit there? 

Its a whole different vibe. 

True, I get what you mean, but that also has to do with the person.  If I were doing that I would get all high on my espresso and then be engaged in the conversation.  I'd very likely order a water so that I can still casually drink with whoever.

When I get espresso at work, I make it a double shot and then top it off with water.  This way the coffee product I put in my cup is high quality and it just tastes like a strong cup of coffee after you water it down a little.  Absolutely hate percolator machines though.  The illest thing I have seen that I didn't know how it worked recently was at a friend's house.  They had a siphon/vacuum brewing setup.  That shit was ultra hipster on another level.

So who's going to buy those Asian bubble gums and try it out?

• Like 1

I go through phases with tea. Kind of got into it after an old business partner turned me on and took me to spots in NYC that sold loose leaf teas.

Still keep good tea on hand, but haven't been drinking it much lately. Likely will start up again when the weather gets extra cold.

Imagine you having spent time in China, you must have some experience with quality teas?

12 hours ago, Brink said:

I'm a Boston native, so anything other than dunks is considered blasphemy. 

As their motto goes: "I get runs on Dunkin"

TBH I prefer Dunkin, and even McDonals coffee over Starbucks and I'm a no sugar black coffee drinker. Starbucks dark/med roast tastes like they roasted the beans over a fucking tire fire unless you go for a light roast or one of those sugary dessert coffees.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Mercer said:

TBH I prefer Dunkin, and even McDonals coffee over Starbucks and I'm a no sugar black coffee drinker. Starbucks dark/med roast tastes like they roasted the beans over a fucking tire fire unless you go for a light roast or one of those sugary dessert coffees.

Dunks is the path towards enlightenment. Its not great but could be worse, not expensive either

• Props 1

The thing is, coffee for me needs to last more than a bit of espresso. I certainly have built up a decent bit of tolerance for caffeine over the years, and at this point the oral fixation of having a coffee to drink keeps me awake more so than the caffeine itself does.

• Truth 1

It’s not just espresso shots but espresso based coffees such as flat whites, cappuccino, latte...., which are all pretty much the same thing, piccolos, etc. 

@misteravenI can’t stand green tea. The sugary iced red teas were good for hangovers and for making them when mixed with vodka. I started drinking coffee in China in my 30s. My job meant reading for 6-8 hrs per day and I needed the charge. I started with those caramel latte milky jobs with eleventy billion sugars but quickly graduated to jugs of espresso. 

There was a time where I literally drank at least one Frappuccino’s a day, but very often would have 2 and sometimes 3. Crazy to consider now how much sugar / carbs I used to consume. Can’t remember the last time I’ve had one, let alone one of those giant ones but suspect it would throw my body off for days. Crazy how that works. 

• Truth 1

3 hours ago, misteraven said:

There was a time where I literally drank at least one Frappuccino’s a day, but very often would have 2 and sometimes 3. Crazy to consider now how much sugar / carbs I used to consume. Can’t remember the last time I’ve had one, let alone one of those giant ones but suspect it would throw my body off for days. Crazy how that works. 

Yea i definitely try to avoid anything other than black/cold brew simply for the calories/sugar.

Although that large iced regular from dunks in the only time i Drink coffee with anything else in it

The amount of sugar in some of those large seasonal starbucks drinks is absolutely ridiculous.

CO8BNGPWEAE6Tzw-300x224.jpg

I don't want to know what the sugar bag under a venti pumpkin spice latte looks like.  I bet it's more than that can of coke.

According to the company's website, a venti pumpkin spice latte with 2% milk has 470 calories with ten grams of saturated fat and a whopping 64 grams of sugar.

Fuckin ouch.  That coke can has 39g of sugar.  Venti latte is 14g short of drinking 2 cans of coke at a time.  I guess that doesn't matter much because there's people like my younger step brother that buy 2 lt. dr. peppers for himself to drink like it's a big personal soda.  He has diabetes now.

For those of you concerned about sugar, I tried this stevia and it's the only one I found that tastes quality and has zero glycemic impact without a bunch of crazy chemicals I can't even pronounce. 

Stevia Select: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CB1QP46/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Going to also add to the CBD and other homeopathic remedies I just started.

But yeah that photo is crazy.

I fell hook, line, and sinker for the Agave Nectar sweetener claims. I thought for sure I was putting healthy sweetener in my tea by using agave but it turns out agave is possibly worse than regular cane sugar, and high fructose corn syrup. I used to use Stevia In The Raw but that was getting bad reviews as well. I guess I'll try@misteravenStevia as an alternative to sweeten up my earl grey in the morning.

I grew up on cakes and cupcakes and candy and sweets of all kinds because my parents were never around, so I made what I wanted... and as a kid I wanted cake. It's a miracle I wasn't 250lbs by the time I got to high school. As an adult kicking that sugar habit has been real tough, not gonna lie. 

I used to hit Starbucks on the regular but way too often they messed up my order. Didn't matter the location, just would mess it up. After about the 100th time of dealing with that I decided it was easier to buy tea bags by the box, and make my breakfast instead of buying it. I was amazed by how much money I was saving. 

• Truth 1
  • Props 1

1 hour ago, Joker said:

I fell hook, line, and sinker for the Agave Nectar sweetener claims. I thought for sure I was putting healthy sweetener in my tea by using agave but it turns out agave is possibly worse than regular cane sugar, and high fructose corn syrup. I used to use Stevia In The Raw but that was getting bad reviews as well. I guess I'll try@misteravenStevia as an alternative to sweeten up my earl grey in the morning.

I grew up on cakes and cupcakes and candy and sweets of all kinds because my parents were never around, so I made what I wanted... and as a kid I wanted cake. It's a miracle I wasn't 250lbs by the time I got to high school. As an adult kicking that sugar habit has been real tough, not gonna lie. 

I used to hit Starbucks on the regular but way too often they messed up my order. Didn't matter the location, just would mess it up. After about the 100th time of dealing with that I decided it was easier to buy tea bags by the box, and make my breakfast instead of buying it. I was amazed by how much money I was saving. 

Definitely try that stuff out. A tiny amount will go a super long way. Its easy to use way too much after spoonful of sugar, but it comes with one of those coke type spoons and honestly its almost too much. It comes in a container about the size of a good sized salt shaker and that lasts me probably 7 - 9 months with my wife and I drinking about two drinks each, every day. But yeah, it sweetens things up well without the bitter after taste and is 100% natural, no fillers and no glycemic index.

Also, in regards to tea... Try these guys. Likely available locally. Sometimes actually on sale at Target and even Walmart but these guys run 20% coupon codes regulalrly and usually have free shipping if you order a couple. Personally I prefer it loose leaf, but you need one of those diffuser things.

https://www.harney.com/

The tea diffuser I have is something along the lines of this thing: https://www.amazon.com/ORIGIN-BPA-Free-Infuser-Borosilicate-Neoprene/dp/B079G49RKF/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=glass+tea+diffuser&qid=1568419018&s=gateway&sr=8-4

All looks a little pricey on first glance but if you're buying tea in the street regularly, this will pay for itself in a week or two while giving exponentially better tea.

• Like 1

@Jokerforgot to mention... Don;t know your taste in teas, but the soho blend is excellent.

https://www.harney.com/products/soho-tea-blend-chocolate-and-coconut

Also, if your into sun tea or iced tea, this stuff is amazing as is, no sweetener needed - https://www.amazon.com/Good-Earth-Herbal-Black-Packaging/dp/B000F70R9C/ref=sr_1_33?keywords=orange+spice+black+tea&qid=1568419232&s=gateway&sr=8-33

• Like 1