The SHIT you SLEPT on, but now APPRECIATE

earmuffs

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • 2 years later...

BITCOIN. Somewhere on here is a thread where all of us dummies are arguing whether it’s worth $1 since it just got that as an all time high. I remember at around that time talking to @psm026 and @Mercer about maybe setting up some of our studio desktops to mine BTC instead of searching for extra terrestrial life. I think of how effectively we used to mobilize to fuck with other sites. It’s a huge regret of mine that as a group, we didn’t all jump into BTC when all of that was happening. We had / have a similar outlook and mindset as the pioneers of cryptocurrency and blockchains and it’s honestly as much about dumb lack of luck and chance that we never rallied around it. A good many of us would be millionaires right now and with all the resources I’ve had available back then and the years since, could have easily been sitting on stacks deep enough to be a billionaire today. 

Anyhow, slept on it for far too long and appreciate how far reaching an impact cryptocurrency and blockchain will ultimately have on humanity. 

• Truth 2

@misteravenI think about that probably a bit too much and try not to. One thing I consider is the lottery winner effect. When someone comes into a fuck ton of money like winning the lottery, they're usually broke again shortly after. They think 2 million, well I get a million dollar mansion, then 500k in cars, and then...

When someone builds the discipline to save up, work hard, and make sacrifices to gain actual net worth, rather than income it's a different story. They're less impulsive, the money seem to stretch longer and from an outside perspective it's not as life changing. That's why it's such a bummer seeing a well off person win the lottery. You're like "what are you going to buy?" They answer with some super responsible boring shit like "set up a trust fund, for my grandkids, maybe build an addition on the house for my MIL or something." Half of these people don't even quit their jobs.

I can only speak for myself, but if I'd have been that well off during the 2014 halvening when BTC first hit $1000, chances are I'd be in a worse position now. Granted, I would have had dope whips, dookie rope chains (always hated herringbone) and some obscure sneakers most people couldn't afford to even look at.

All this to say, I've slept on financial responsibility my entire life up until about 2016, and I wish I had been more responsible much sooner. I'd be retired, instead of just slightly retarded.

• Truth 1
  • Props 1

I rmemeber me and my roomate at the time were reflecting on the 12oz talk of Bitcoin - I swear to god I think I said "Thats hella dumb - I can just buy a fucking pizza."

At the time I dont even think I understood the concept. Crypro has been a good return for me but I have only invested the last two years and even then secondary to stock- meanwhile I lost 20k in the market that had I invested in crypto would have been solid. 

• Like 2
  • LOL! 1

Imagine sleeping for a decade and a half and then realizing that your orange toilet seat MacBook that’s been collecting dust in the back of the closet… that computer you didn’t throw away or give to your nephew to take apart, only because it has Napster installed along with every song ever recorded in modern history - also has 4,793 BTC on it because you bought some stranger off the intewebz dominos a million moons ago. That you’re almost half a billionaire because dude delivered lots of LOLz and you reciprocated with pizza. 

That scenario is just as insane and real as modern politics being dominated by a sleezy reality tv star with a penchant for mean tweets and geriatric old school racist that seems to regularly forget where he is.

Completely surreal. 

• Truth 1

I agree.  I was just talking about the se scenario with my babber this morning.   I wish I didn't sleep on the crypto thing when it was first introduced when it was nothing but a need thing and had the value of .00001 or nothing at all.

If I had listened to that person, I'd be the guy who drives a Pagani and Koenigsegg as an every day switch up living in Manaco 6 months out the year.