The project car thread

mn1_fuckos

Thats awesome @ndvI love sleepers. Nothing like watching some one get smoked at a red light for trying to race what they think is a shit box.

Shit. I didnt have any idea how expensive these fucking things were even in shit condition. 

I just found some ones unfinished project that fits the bill nicely for $3500.

00303_iCo4bOL2tO3_0ww0oo_600x450.jpg.4554081e9bc0061c84c0184114115249.jpg00p0p_443V55uilxh_0ww0oo_600x450.jpg.b09cd983ee40cb81195e1a551d07057f.jpg01313_c2vA5PegHIS_0ww0oo_600x450.jpg.8af8cd191299b5601e8e9afee7d98325.jpg00f0f_7JCI5I1OE5Z_0ww0oo_600x450.jpg.cddb6d7101ea7c691ed870d2b9bbad0e.jpg

Edited by mr.yuck
  • Like 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

@mr.yuck

I was sure what to think when you said 3500 for someone else's project.   I was sure if it was one of those guys who have classics that need heavy work but price it as the restored vision they see.

But from seeing these pics looks like a good deal due to the condition of the body.   The thing is pretty much at a stage of "make it to whatever spec you like"  

I bet he'll negotiate.

• Like 2

@ndv

I probably wont talk them down. I have a feeling they might be selling this project to make ends meet.

My last project was an absolute cluster fuck. I bought a 73 buick centurion. Every single panel and pan was blown out and the vehicle was such a small run, none of these companies wasted their time repopping anything for it. 

So I found a duece and a quarter roller on ebay that I picked up for $500. I was gonna swap the 455 and tranny from the centurion into the electra but some more other shit went sideways and nothing came to fruition.

Edited by mr.yuck
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, mr.yuck said:

I probably wont talk them down. I have a feeling they might be selling this project to make ends meet.

I hear ya on that, makes sense.  

Yeah, right now, I am debating if I wanna buy a car right now (something more reliable) or deal with the unexpected surprises of breaking down intermittently...

I just really do not know what I want/need and the way the manufactures engineer cars today, is the reason why extended warranties are so popular.

*for example on the engineering side of things:  My sister owns a 2014-2016 For Explorer.  Well, Ford thought it would be funny to place the water pump behind the cover panel for the timing belt.  So, basically to do the job right to replace a water pump in these things, you first have to remove your valve covers, injector assembly (the whole nine yards), a few belts, alternator (i think, can't remember), anyhow, long story short.  It's a $5,000.00 job at a local mechanic, not sure what dealer charges...  Anyhow, a $65.00 water pump gets you a new timing belt, a few seals and gaskets, and a bunch of labor for $5k  

And this is just an example of why I'd rather go backwards in stead of forwards in regards to years on automobiles.   But it's a tough decision, because at the moment with a new car I will not have to worry about breaking down at random because the car is 26years old.   

Which come to think of it, it brings on a whole new topic of feelings and point of view i have towards  this "make america great again"  thing.  

• Like 1

I buy all of my cars that I need to depend on 2 or 3 years used. Sometimes they are still covered by manufacturers warranty, sometimes dealership warranty. I've only ever bought 2 vehicles brand new and they were both work vehicles.

I got really tired of one thing after another breaking down on my daily drivers. I think the key is to sell it in another 2-3 years before it starts crapping out and it depreciates completely.

I cant even begin to fuck with dealerships and how they charge for any given task.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Not really sure, but those things are cool as fuck.

I can't keep thinking about upgrading to an RS3 for my daily, but Covid is kicking my ass dollar wise to make the leap to that platform.  These Iroz RS3's online just fucking rip.  I hate the fact that they're DSG's and not manual, but you gotta pick your battles I guess.

• Like 1

I tell you what brothers and sisters..... I've been enjoying the fuck out of having a 12 valve cummins.  The 6BT engine is fuckin rad as shit.  I know a lot of people swap the 4-cyl version into jeeps and such.  This motor is so good it's got me thinking it needs to go in all kinds of other vehicles.... like my suburban.

edit: this: https://www.dieselconversion.com/comprehensive-kit-chevy-1988-1999-6-5l-diesel-4l80e-1989-1998-12-valve-525.html?options=cart

I have a 1999 GMC K1500 Suburban that is in really good condition except for a cylinder miss.  I'm considering buying the above kit and another 6BT from ebay or something..... and swapping the suburban.

@mr.yuck- if you have ANY questions about anything car related no matter how technical, please ask. I already know a lot about all the technical shit that many "car guys" aren't versed in.  Namely: ECU tuning, electronics, and engine tuning theory.

• Props 2

On 9/11/2020 at 11:04 PM, Dirty_habiT said:

His explanation that I quoted is hilariously inaccurate.  These guys crack me up a lot.

On 9/12/2020 at 7:40 AM, mr.yuck said:

I was reading that and it felt like a guy that doesnt really know shit trying to explain the thing to his wife.

I was a bit confused myself, I just couldn't put my finger on it, but I knew something just didn't quite add up. 

So, I've got my Lexus up to bat next.  Tomorrow I'm going to remove the turbo and continue removing parts to get the engine/transmission out together.  My biggest hurdle is going to be keeping the a/c system intact without evacuating the refrigerant.  It can be done but you have to be careful.

I have another IS300 engine I pulled at the junkyard on my garage floor right now ready to be put in the car, EXCEPT I'm at a junction of what to do.  I don't know what failed inside the motor I'm removing, that's a key point.

Do I, install the engine that is stock back into the car w/ my turbo shit on it, not knowing what failed or why it failed.... and hope that the same thing doesn't happen, meanwhile upgrading/rebuilding the engine that I've removed from the car?

-OR-

Do I crack open this motor that I have that I know probably runs just fine, that I got from the junkyard, and upgrade it.... prior to doing any of this other engine removal work.  The idea here would be to just upgrade the engine and put the motor "I want" to put in the car now by building the bottom end now.  This will cost a little bit more money because I will have to buy forged pistons to put on the GTE rods (my engine is a GE) sooner rather than later.

What do you guys think?  I won't say which option I'm leaning more towards because I want to hear your opinions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I hadnt really worked on my ride for a bit but I finally got some time to do a thing or two. 

As with any old car they have a distinctive smell. Well this one is no different aside from the fact that A mouse or two called this fucker home at some point in its life.  Which I knew because there was a hole in the headliner from god knows when

On those hot humid days you definitely know there was a fuckin mouse nest in the headliner. That my friends is a 63 year old headliner stain with mouse piss 

not pictured was 3 big ass mouse nest. These fuckers were living in luxury

IMG_1825.thumb.JPG.c2d2bffdf8972a3ff0362764881b94f1.JPG

• Like 1
  • Props 1

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

I'm trying to be cool because if I lose my patience , imma fuck up my work. I have a car show this weekend to be part of and this shit happens....

Yesterday, I heard a squeal behind the engine block. I was like, throw out bearing. Google people and YouTube said it was that if the sound goes on and off when you mess with the clutch peddle. 

In my situation,  the noise was consistent and matched the revs. I looked down underneath and saw the flywheel grinding on the casing, barely.

All I can think of is the flywheel dropped due to me hitting a bump (maybe).

I'm in the final stages of removing the transmission to check it out, pics later.

Edited by T4M*
  • Like 2
  • Props 1

I found two issues. I did hit something . . . .

1695147431277.thumb.jpg.02358297cb65bbb4a5834ec55dc5c7d7.jpg

The engine bolts were loose, which explains the grinding. Engine was slightly bouncing.

1695147311406.thumb.jpg.bd7f866dd15d83d0c348ed87d77a918d.jpg

The casing is bent on one side, it wasn't aligned right. And of coarse.....

The throw our bearing is out, should not have that much play. It also looks warped.

So.... I have to buy a clutch system in order to get just that part, at least at the stores. Online I found an upgrade bearing that's better than the OEM part, going to do that instead.

It's going to rain this weekend and the location has mud where the car show is at. I'm hoping they postpone the event to next week, but regardless,  car won't be ready :◇(

(Depends on shipping)

Edited by T4M*
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, T4M* said:

Mark 4 1975  with overdrive lol @mr.yuck

No shit. That's a sweet whip. I felt like mark viii was way too late in the game but couldn't read the badge. Lincoln has always made a sweet ride. I had an 88 continental at one point. Brown on brown on brown. That was the second double chocolate ride I've owned. So gross.

• Like 1