The project car thread

mn1_fuckos

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Have any of you replaced the rubber stripping/ weather striping?

My dodge ram is leaking on the driver side door and tons of road noise is getting in. 

just hit 160,000 miles! Bought it for 7.8k @130,000 miles. 

2008 4 door long bed. such a bitch to park. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, +plus+ said:

Have any of you replaced the rubber stripping/ weather striping?

My dodge ram is leaking on the driver side door and tons of road noise is getting in. 

just hit 160,000 miles! Bought it for 7.8k @130,000 miles. 

2008 4 door long bed. such a bitch to park. 

It might not be too hard.

I'm sure rock auto or 1a auto parts probably sells the replacement weather stripping. 

It might just be attached with industrial strength adhesive strip. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This was one one of two large rust spots on my car

I wasnt really planning on getting the body work on the car done this late in the season because god knows this is gonna take longer then expected but the opportunity came up and unfortunately I couldn't turn down.

Ill share progress photos as I received them since I wont be sharing these on other forms of social media.

IMG_2684.thumb.JPG.a21d59410fb264e18f88e184bc46af79.JPG

IMG_2685.thumb.JPG.5f7e1cb353ccfb6a529ae70d5f534267.JPG

• Like 3
  • Props 2

That lexus build is dope.  I can't help but ask why not LS turbo it?  Not sure if you just throw stuff at people that ask that or not?  I have a trifive chevy that's pretty rough, but still runs well on a built SBC with a smidge of nitrous.  I want to single turbo the car, but there's so much more shit to upgrade and change that it seems like a project that will never end or ultimately cost $25K to build.  I keep spending weekends riding dirtbikes and quads that I'm slow rolling on making a decision.  I'm leaning towards ditching the SBC and picking up a junkyard LS to build and drop that in.  I gotta rope my brother into it as he's a much better mechanic than I am.  I'm still highly proficient at breaking shit, but just decent at fixing it.

Been trying to resurrect a Honda Z50 clone from the dead and a late 80's Suzuki RM125.  I just found mice living in the cylinder bore of the RM so that might be over, but I'll know more in the spring.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, johnny said:

I'm leaning towards ditching the SBC and picking up a junkyard LS to build and drop that in.  I gotta rope my brother into it as he's a much better mechanic than I am.  I'm still highly proficient at breaking shit, but just decent at fixing it

I have a few friends that are running LS in their cars and some of those guys are driving 10,000 miles year with little to no issues and theyre getting upwards of 20mpg on the highway. 

you just have to have good source for them.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mn1_fuckos said:

I have a few friends that are running LS in their cars and some of those guys are driving 10,000 miles year with little to no issues and theyre getting upwards of 20mpg on the highway. 

you just have to have good source for them.

Yeah, they seem like a smart choice.  New mounts, fueling, trans adapter and programming are my concerns.  It starts to add up quick, but faster was never cheaper lol.

• 2 weeks later...

When the door lock actuator goes out on your girlfriends car and you have to take everything out of the door to get it out.

Dealer cost of repair including part $650

Price of door actuator and doing it myself $280

it wasnt exactly easy and took about 3 hours but still came out way ahead.

IMG_3144.thumb.JPG.979310ff01184492e3f24a440924fbb7.JPG

• Like 1
  • Props 2

@johnny- I typically throw things at people that ask about LS engines.  "To each their own" but I just think it's "too typical" to do that to any platform.  My problem with putting an LS in anything is that when you're done with all that work you just have an LS whatever you built.  Like the Miatas, you have a miata with an LS that is EXACTLY as fast as the other miata with an LS.  Whoaaaaa it sounds like a v8.  I dunno I'm just not into it.  I know they make good power and they're reliable and blah blah blah.... but if I get something w/ an LS in it it is going to be a new Corvette.... not an old Corvette, a new one.

I considered LS swapping my 1999 GMC Suburban, but opted against it.  I think I'm going to put a 6BT 5.9L Cummins Diesel in it now after finding that they make bolt in kits for my exact chassis.

In any case, the reason I turbo'd the 2JZGE VVTI engine is because most people on the internet do NOT do what I did.  The ones that do typically swap it to manual transmission rather than keeping the factory automatic.  I did everything about that Lexus build the "wrong/hard" way..... on purpose..... because I did not want what everyone else had.  There is not another car on the planet like the Lexus I built, I'd be willing to put money on it.  When my friend with an IS300 decided he wanted to put an LS in his I said sure sounds like a great plan, just make sure you sell me that 2JZGE engine you have in the car now when you do it.

My gf likes the IS300 so much that she recently bought one for herself.  It was a bitch to find one that wasn't fucked up though.... but we did it through persistence and patience.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Updated my battery cables (because the terminals were pretty screwed up/loose) to a kit from ceautoelectricsupply.com.  I highly recommend  their cabling.  I've used one of their kits in the past on my IS300 for a battery relocation to the trunk.  The quality on the Dodge 2500 battery cable kit I installed yesterday was just as good.

0248459C-8F35-4AF6-B030-B29311880975.jpeg

B7BD01A6-3754-498F-B27D-6C38AC8FC494.jpeg

Next parts that will be installed (maybe this weekend if I decide to go outside and do it) are:

• 215hp-375hp fuel delivery valve kit..... this will take my truck from stock 450ft/lb tq to around 750ft/lb tq and should increase the highway cruise miles per gallon by 10-15%.
  • Single disk clutch that supports 850ft/lb tq.  If you're paying attention, I got a clutch that holds just a bit more torque than I intend to make with the truck.  Typically the clutch pedal is stiffer and stiffer the higher the torque rating of the clutch goes.  Driving a stiff pedal SUCKS unless you're specifically racing in a race vehicle.  DD'ing a truck or a car is not a situation where you want a heavy clutch in the car.... ask me how i know.
  • PowerDrivenDiesel Air Fuel Controller that will allow me to manually tune the fuel deliver on the "mechanically fueled" engine.  This is not normally possible in the type of motor I have.  This will allow me to turn the power up, tune the smoke out of the acceleration/idle/cruise, and control the exhaust gas temperature (the key thing you want to control when tuning a diesel motor).
  • 4x gauges that will be installed on the top of my steering column.  They will cover oil/fuel/boost pressure and exhaust gas temp (EGT).  Oil pressure is how you know the engine is healthy and full of oil.  Fuel pressure tells you the health of your fuel system, mainly the fuel filter.  Boost pressure tells you the health of the turbo  charger and engine intake system.  EGT tells you whether your motor and turbocharger are in a healthy working balance.

• Like 1
  • Props 2

30 minutes ago, Dirty_habiT said:

Lol, cool but it's a death trap.  I don't know how safe it would be to drive that thing in any capacity.

Yeah for sure. I was surprised the rear end wasnt wider or at least slightly cambered. I feel like if you try to turn that thing over 15 mph its and instant flip and a broken neck. That being said, i love cool little projects like this.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

an acquaintance of mine had built a belly tanker to run at bonneville. I wish I had photo of it

My car is moving forward unfortunately I have not been able to go up to my car due to our current situation but the work on it has continued and my homie has been keeping an eye on the progress.

As of right now We are only shooting it with white sealer and the roof and spears will be painted the original sherwood green for the time being.

I will be shooting it with white metal flake and aqua metal flake to add a little bit of dimension but that will have to wait until the following winter as I am not really in the position to dump more money into it being out of work. At that point I have another friend who will be teach me and help me with polishing all the stainless

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

• Like 1
  • Props 3

I finally changed headers with no cat, wanted my car to make more noise. 

Snapchat-47454416.jpg.27600a484a19d473d0fb3e7a8eede9da.jpg

Snapchat-1152280110.jpg.6088066bdbb42a24c1189f0a21055ab7.jpg

Now, by not having a cat, I can go from Octane 91 to E-85 .

I read it brings good benefits and no long term defects (as far as driving the vehicle correctly).

Main downfall is gas milage, but gas is cheap and i can always go back when ever.

So for now, I have to run my car to empty, fuel up on e85 and tune the ECU.

I have a full tank now, but making a 80mile run tonight. 

#toyota86

• Like 2
  • Props 1

Finally did it.

20200420_072312.thumb.jpg.6d720f47d6f462c76c2df1206297e940.jpg

91 Octane I USED to pay around $30, during this crisis, I am paying around $25. Here is my new weekly rates 💪💯😎pixlr_20200420090632431.thumb.jpg.55266a9cc794012ddb7e98eee41d483c.jpg

E-85 I burn more, but I will update you guys on how long this gas lasts me.

Next process is to kill what ever 91octane is left on my lines (fuel trims) , and tune my car....

pixlr_20200420090815064.thumb.jpg.2eb0771adc2659d94dac0231233eb902.jpg

I'm suppose to drive it below 3000RPM for a couple miles, let the ECU learn the new fuel.

After fueling up, I drove normal, and plan to do so up until I get off work tonight. I usually hit morning rush hour and here is an opportunity to test this new fuel.

I have been running my vehicle tuned with 91, so I should be able to catch the difference, well, I'm hoping so.  My first tune , I did notice it right away. My second tune took awhile until I finally noticed the change in power.  I expect faster results with this one since fuel is "immediate ", we will see.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Finally going to wrap my daily next week.  I waited way too long and I've got loads of rock chips to sand out first, but I'm a little geeked to get it going.  I've done a bunch of paint wrap color changes for customers and it's not exactly good business sense to not have a car on hand as a reference for customers.

• Like 2

So I had been planning on starting an el camino project here soon. I was thinking somewheres between 69 and 79. My wife asked me if I could convert my project plans into an off road doomsday vehicle so I did some googling and found this. This is what Im gonna build.

72babce8fd8b23427e8e3d37d685ef3c.jpg

• Props 1

On 8/2/2020 at 2:01 PM, mr.yuck said:

So I had been planning on starting an el camino project here soon. I was thinking somewheres between 69 and 79. My wife asked me if I could convert my project plans into an off road doomsday vehicle so I did some googling and found this. This is what Im gonna build.

72babce8fd8b23427e8e3d37d685ef3c.jpg

In high school, I knew a guy that had an el comino but on the opposite of this one.  Can't remember how much horse power but the thing sound like an alcohol dragster.  Basically the guy spent some serious money on the mechanics, threw in slap shift, and left it looking like a complete turd, but complemented it with nice chrome wheels.  Then take it around town hit the accelerator and easily get the car on three wheels. 

• Like 1