Hong Kong

Mercer

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
49 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Essentially Sackless Punk Nurgaz is clearly scared of offending anyone in the Chinese Communist Party, which has near total control over Tencent, possibly even testing Fiddycent again.

I liked how that article pointed out that ESPN wasn't so concerned with being political when they were 24/7 covering the Tiger Woods fiasco and kneeling during the natl anthem. 

They are china's bitch

Edit: "fofty please" 

9 minutes ago, KILZ FILLZ said:

Had no idea VPN was so expensive. Or that you even needed to pay for one lol. 

Breaks down to tree fiddy a month to secure your phone, and home internet. Might save you from being targeted. For some, it's a price worth paying.

Edited by Mercer

7 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Breaks down to tree fiddy a month to secure your phone, and home internet. Might save you from being targeted. For some, it's a price worth paying.

True but everything adds up after a while. Will throw down on this when I get a little more solid with everything else. I do wonder why this isn't just built into the experience of being online in general. I'd imagine at some point it'll be free like long distance is. 

What's your experience with it so far? Any noticeable change in speed? 

Examples of Western Multinationals Bending Over for China:

• Activision Blizzard: banned player for supporting HK democracy protest. Confiscated all his winnings. Fired his interviewers. Apologized to China: condemned incident, swore to defend China's national dignity
  • Activision Blizzard: cut livestream when American U team held up pro-HK sign.
  • American, Delta, United: deleted mention of Taiwan as a country from websites
  • Apple: minimized the seriousness of iOS exploits that enabled China to track Uyghurs, when 1M+ of them are rounded up by China in concentration camps
  • Apple: censor Taiwan flag emoji in iOS in HK
  • Apple: handed over iCloud data & encryption keys to China
  • Apple: banned HK protest map from App Store. Approved app after backlash. Banned app once again after China hissy fit
  • Apple: removed from China App Store news app that covered HK protest
  • Audi: apologized for using "incorrect" map of China that left off Taiwan
  • Cisco: helped build Great Firewall including module to persecute Falun Gong
  • Disney: block Winnie the Pooh website in HK
  • Disney: removed non-white characters from Chinese poster of “Star Wars: The Force Awakens”
  • Disney / ESPN: forbid mention of Chinese politics when discussing Rockets manager's HK tweet
  • Disney / Marvel: censored Tibetan monk from "Doctor Strange" & turned him into white woman. Movie screenwriter: "if you acknowledge that Tibet is a place & that he’s Tibetan, you risk alienating one billion people who think that that’s bullshit".
  • Cathay Pacific: fired employees for FB posts supporting HK protests.
  • Gap: apologized for selling T-shirts IN CANADA that didn't include Taiwan as part of China
  • Global Blue: fired staff for calling Taiwan a country
  • Google: censored pro-HK game "The Revolution of Our Times" from Google Play because it was about a "sensitive event".
  • Leica: released ad on Tiananmen protest. Apologized & distanced itself from ad
  • L'Oréal / Lancôme: canceled HK artist concert for her pro-democracy activism
  • Marriott: fired employee who liked tweet from Tibetan group
  • Marriott: apologized & changed "Taiwan" to "Taiwan, China" after China threw a hissy fit
  • Medtronic: apologized for publishing "illegal content" that listed "Republic of China (Taiwan)" as country
  • Mercedes: apologized for quoting Dalai Lama on Instagram
  • MGM: changed Red Dawn's villain from China to N Korea to placate China
  • Muji: destroyed store catalogs that contain "incorrect" map of China
  • NBA (partial entry): rebuked Rockets manager for his pro-HK tweet, saying NBA was "extremely disappointed with Morey's inappropriate comment." Backpedalled after backlash, now saying they support Morey's freedom of speech.
  • Nike: removed Houston Rockets products from China webstore
  • Philly Sixers: ejected fans for supporting HK
  • Princeton: don't talk about 3 Ts: Tibet, Tiananmen, Taiwan
  • Qantas, Air France, Air Canada, British Airways, Malaysia Airlines, Japan Airlines, ANA: changed "Taiwan" to "Taiwan China"
  • Ray-Ban: changed "Taiwan" & "Hongkong" to "China Taiwan" & "China Hongkong"
  • Reddit: took $150M from Tencent. Removed threas critical of CCP
  • Rockhampton, Queensland: censored Taiwan flag in student project
  • Sheraton: banned Taiwan National Day event under China pressure
  • Tiffany: removed tweet showing model covering 1 eye after China accused it of supporting HK
  • TikTok: censor videos that mention Tiananmen Square, Tibetan independence, Falun Gong
  • Vans: censor pro-HK democracy design in its shoe design competition
  • Viacom / Paramount: censor Taiwan flag from the jacket worn by Tom Cruise in new "Top Gun" movie
  • Zara: apologized for listing Taiwan as country

Business Hall of Backbones:

• Matt Stone & Trey Parker: South Park "Band in China"
  • Ubisoft: listened to fans, said no to China after initially saying they would tone down game content to be China-compliant.
  • Prague: cancel partnership with Beijing over 1-China principle
  • Immutable: offer to repay banned gamer's winnings that was confiscated by Blizzard, got cyber attacked as a result
  • Props 2

Not sure about that, still seems like the West is a much better place to live, even with it's minor flaws by comparison. That's how I'm measuring success.

China's CCP is only aggressing, it's questionable if that's equivalent to, or facilitates winning.

Edited by Mercer

2 minutes ago, Hua Guofang said:

China is engendering a lot of resistance at the same time as well, though.

There's a lot of money to be made there but the price for doing so continues to climb.

I think the fact this is becoming obvious, and a thing in the news cycle it might create more resistance to what was otherwise ignored before. Reddit/millennials in general are not pleased on the social front. Getting caught up in a news cycle also puts multinationals on the margin, or verge of entering that market on notice of the hidden fee's associated with accessing that market. I'm sure Activision Blizzard is feeling blowback from the free(er) markets it earns the bulk of it's revenue in today, they shut down the ability to log into the system in a panic, so many people were deleting their accounts. Tough situation to face, no matter which way you move, you lose.

5 hours ago, ndv said:

Here is the inanimate version of the same episode.   The irony!

https://deadspin.com/rockets-flack-tells-reporter-to-stick-to-sports-after-s-1838944809

Take the fuckers for an "unguided" tour of Xinjiang or Tibet or HK. Maybe they'd like to see some the black prisons all over the country full of people who've spoken out against corrupt officials for stealing their land, or selling their kids into prostitution or stealing their organs. Maybe they'd like to visit some of the detention centres where Falun gong are held and tortured. Maybe they could talk to some of the Hui who've had their mosques torn down and graveyards raised simply for having a religion or maybe they'd like to chat to some of the christians that are in prison for simply praying in the same room as other christians.

Fuck your money.

• Truth 1

13 hours ago, Mercer said:

Examples of Western Multinationals Bending Over for China:

• Activision Blizzard: banned player for supporting HK democracy protest. Confiscated all his winnings. Fired his interviewers. Apologized to China: condemned incident, swore to defend China's national dignity
  • Activision Blizzard: cut livestream when American U team held up pro-HK sign.
  • American, Delta, United: deleted mention of Taiwan as a country from websites
  • Apple: minimized the seriousness of iOS exploits that enabled China to track Uyghurs, when 1M+ of them are rounded up by China in concentration camps
  • Apple: censor Taiwan flag emoji in iOS in HK
  • Apple: handed over iCloud data & encryption keys to China
  • Apple: banned HK protest map from App Store. Approved app after backlash. Banned app once again after China hissy fit
  • Apple: removed from China App Store news app that covered HK protest
  • Audi: apologized for using "incorrect" map of China that left off Taiwan
  • Cisco: helped build Great Firewall including module to persecute Falun Gong
  • Disney: block Winnie the Pooh website in HK
  • Disney: removed non-white characters from Chinese poster of “Star Wars: The Force Awakens”
  • Disney / ESPN: forbid mention of Chinese politics when discussing Rockets manager's HK tweet
  • Disney / Marvel: censored Tibetan monk from "Doctor Strange" & turned him into white woman. Movie screenwriter: "if you acknowledge that Tibet is a place & that he’s Tibetan, you risk alienating one billion people who think that that’s bullshit".
  • Cathay Pacific: fired employees for FB posts supporting HK protests.
  • Gap: apologized for selling T-shirts IN CANADA that didn't include Taiwan as part of China
  • Global Blue: fired staff for calling Taiwan a country
  • Google: censored pro-HK game "The Revolution of Our Times" from Google Play because it was about a "sensitive event".
  • Leica: released ad on Tiananmen protest. Apologized & distanced itself from ad
  • L'Oréal / Lancôme: canceled HK artist concert for her pro-democracy activism
  • Marriott: fired employee who liked tweet from Tibetan group
  • Marriott: apologized & changed "Taiwan" to "Taiwan, China" after China threw a hissy fit
  • Medtronic: apologized for publishing "illegal content" that listed "Republic of China (Taiwan)" as country
  • Mercedes: apologized for quoting Dalai Lama on Instagram
  • MGM: changed Red Dawn's villain from China to N Korea to placate China
  • Muji: destroyed store catalogs that contain "incorrect" map of China
  • NBA (partial entry): rebuked Rockets manager for his pro-HK tweet, saying NBA was "extremely disappointed with Morey's inappropriate comment." Backpedalled after backlash, now saying they support Morey's freedom of speech.
  • Nike: removed Houston Rockets products from China webstore
  • Philly Sixers: ejected fans for supporting HK
  • Princeton: don't talk about 3 Ts: Tibet, Tiananmen, Taiwan
  • Qantas, Air France, Air Canada, British Airways, Malaysia Airlines, Japan Airlines, ANA: changed "Taiwan" to "Taiwan China"
  • Ray-Ban: changed "Taiwan" & "Hongkong" to "China Taiwan" & "China Hongkong"
  • Reddit: took $150M from Tencent. Removed threas critical of CCP
  • Rockhampton, Queensland: censored Taiwan flag in student project
  • Sheraton: banned Taiwan National Day event under China pressure
  • Tiffany: removed tweet showing model covering 1 eye after China accused it of supporting HK
  • TikTok: censor videos that mention Tiananmen Square, Tibetan independence, Falun Gong
  • Vans: censor pro-HK democracy design in its shoe design competition
  • Viacom / Paramount: censor Taiwan flag from the jacket worn by Tom Cruise in new "Top Gun" movie
  • Zara: apologized for listing Taiwan as country

Business Hall of Backbones:

• Matt Stone & Trey Parker: South Park "Band in China"
  • Ubisoft: listened to fans, said no to China after initially saying they would tone down game content to be China-compliant.
  • Prague: cancel partnership with Beijing over 1-China principle
  • Immutable: offer to repay banned gamer's winnings that was confiscated by Blizzard, got cyber attacked as a result

Just a note, the second list is actually a lot longer than that. There are many, many companies who haven't invested in China for many reasons, including refusal to bend over for China. Look up what the 'former' CEO of Cathay PAcific did for HK and his employees.

Google should also be listed for taking a LOT more CCP cock than is spelled out above. They really need a fucking kicking for what they've pulled.

• Like 2

@Hua Guofang I completely agree with you.  I posted because it was Ironic that I was watching the southpark episode on my phone what the news segment came on.  I was like, "Dude!  I am watching the same southpark episode pretty much in realtime - real life!!!!"

But, yep, it's about money.  Supposedly 700+ mil people in China are NBA fans now.  That's a lot of money to be made, so if NBA wants profit then they better keep that mouth shut.   

16 hours ago, ndv said:

@Hua Guofang  I hear ya.  @misteraventhat's a huge market for western sports.  

Honestly, what I would like to see in the sports industry, are the rebuilding/referb of Colosseums and bring back some raw human sports.  Maybe when I become the billionaire I suppose to be I can start all that again.

Can we just bring gladiators and fights to the death back already 

• Props 1

This was stolen from Reddit, thought this summed up the importance of HK demonstrations on a global scale.

This is probably as good a time as any to remind people that the struggle is not against the Chinese people, it's not even ultimately about the Chinese government, but about the inevitable showdown between the ideals of freedom, democracy and human rights versus autocracy.

The Chinese government has been portraying this conflict to their domestic audience as one between "rioters" (allegedly paid by foreign powers) on the one hand, versus the Chinese government on the other, which it bills as the only safeguard against Chinese dignity. As an adjunct to this argument, the Chinese government has frequently argued that democracy and human rights are either (a) not an effective basis of government or, at the very least, (b) not compatible with Chinese people.

Not only is this nonsense, as the examples of Taiwan and Hong Kong both demonstrate that Chinese people can value democracy and human rights, the line of argument originates primarily in Tiananmen Massacre. Plenty of people have wondered why Chinese mainlanders have such radicalized, nationalistic views, and the reason is that after Tiananmen the government began what is known as the "Patriotic Education Campaign." Liberal values were allowed to flourish in a period of relative freedom in the 80s, which led to demonstrations that the government decided to violently crush:

What can be argued hence is that during the 1980s there was tolerance towards liberal voices. Tolerance is what makes the 80s and the 90s different in the sense that during the 80s some dissenting voices were allowed to be heard while in the 90s they were imprisoned or hid or fled abroad. The internal media contestation which was also connected to a confrontation between higher echelons of the CCP in the 80s was culminated in 1989 after the Tiananmen incident; after that the CCP leadership realized the dangers of allowing Chinese liberals to become vocal and responded with a strong full-encompassing implementation of its patriotic education campaign. In the 90s Chinese patriotic nationalism became dominant and its expressions were found in all levels of cultural expression.

As China grows wealthier, its demands upon other countries and international corporations to sell out their ideals in exchange for market access will only grow. The fight in Hong Kong to resist autocracy is only the front line battle in a struggle that everyone is going to be a part of, and every retreat makes the next battle harder to win.

They're not just fighting for Hong Kong. They are fighting for liberal voices in China, they're fighting for human rights, and they're fighting for you too.

"They're not just fighting for Hong Kong. They are fighting for liberal voices in China, they're fighting for human rights, and they're fighting for you too."

This is the key take way for me. Meaning, I watch a lot of NHK World Japan network (well that's pretty much all I watch these days, other than murder investigation shows) and NHK News Line covers a the HK thing a lot more than Western news media does.  So that's were I ran into a cross roads question.  If this is about liberties, human rights, and stuff, why isn't the western media covering more of this?  I mean, aren't these the things that america promote?

Then after reading this, it occurred to me maybe one of the reasons HK is rarely covered here, is because of the true underlying reasons and that may back fire for our politicians in power.  DNC/RNC, same thing different name?  

I don't know, or at least  "I don't know" is what I am supposed to think?  Sounds all to familiar.  I guess that being said, we are not any different than the HK resistance. 

3 hours ago, Mercer said:

On the surface yes, but in practice the US government actively discourages freedom/rights, especially for it's own citizens.

That's exactly it.  Years ago I was googling product marketing for my business as I wasn't sure what directions I wanted to take in establishing diversity.  So during my google search on product development and marketing I was becoming more interested in the psychological side of marketing which also led me to look at the products functionality, demographic, and long term use from the consumer aspect.   As I am searching I found myself going further down the rabbit hole which ultimately led me to a starting point of the Rothschild Family and specifically speaking Adam Weishaupt ideology and/or illusion.   Long story short (this crap again)... 

I began to question more so, why do some products/services become mass success and other products struggle to never take off and eventually die away.  When I started questioning great products that never took off I would begin to evaluate the use and psychological implications it had if any.   Now I see a whole lot of what you said in almost ever thing from products, services, content, to political manipulation on the masses.   However, come to think of it, I could honestly  say that I seen this a decade before my startup product marketing searches began due to past experience which basically I had my right of voting taken away for a brief moment. 

During that moment of silence, (silence is sometimes the best answer).  It allowed me to sit back and really listen to all of the candidates from both sides, (and hell! even the rare running, Independent) from all levels of office fulfillment from local, state, to federal.  The more I listened the more I began to hear the same lies, deceptive practices from all candidates with choice of different words were the hammer that fired the same ammunition to hit the same target.  

*If you are a Mayor, Senator, Congress Member, to POTUS and you are reading this.  THANK YOU, FAGGOT!  You didn't take a right away, because there was nothing to vote for to begin with.  😉

I guess what my "long story short"  is is that each country has their own form of fascism and depending on the the initial liberties given (if any at all) during establishment will determine the evolution of such foundation and out come what empires last, how long they last, and ultimately how they fall.

P.S. to all:  Wanna hear something cool?  That's cool too, I am going to tell you anyways.  So to go back on the effects of not voting, two years ago I got my parents to stop voting because of me explaining to them about what I began to see when I couldn't vote.  Yeah, they don't vote any more.  Very Cool!  So again,  Thank you, FAGGOTS!  Ha!  Tables turned Queer!

Don't ask me how all of this ties together, I don't know, you're asking someone with self-diagnosed aspergers.

Edited by ndv
  • Like 1