NOISE // EXPERIMENTAL // MINIMAL

Joker

In the last few years I've re-grown increasingly interested in this genre of music. When I was a teenager (early 80s...) I was very much into noise and experimental sounds from projects like NON, Hunting Lodge, and Whitehouse. I was also into Current 93, Nurse with Wound, Death in June, and other Nihilistic folk bands. For me it was the music, not so much the image... and the image is what most folks focused on (Like Goth music, I love it, but I'm not concerned with wanting to look like death or hang out in cemeteries). Projects like NON and Hunting Lodge were definitely uneasy listening, but for some reason I found myself engulfed in the waves of sound. The music became the soundtrack for the Graffiti I created in the early 90s up through the early 2000s as Glitchy electronic music started to slowly take over my collection. 

Then a few years ago I stumbled upon a band called Emptyset, fell in love with the sound, and slowly over time have found other, similar projects. I've no idea if anyone on here is into this sort of thing as I know most writers are into either Hip-Hop or Metal, but I'd thought I'd share, anyway. 

EPMTYSET - Collapse

ROLY PORTER - 4101

PAUL JEBANASAM - Continuum

• Like 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

This stuff is bananas. First video is the coolest thing I've seen in a minute and genuinely enjoyed the sound, especially once the beat kicked in. Sharing it with my friend that lives out here with me since he's into this stuff and he said he'd likely get along with you pretty well since you named off a lot of obscure stuff that he's super into. Anyhow, I'll wist his arm to get him posting so you guys can trade obscure references.

• Like 1

There's also Power Electronic music which is a bit more abrasive... definitely uneasy listening, but good for 'background' noise. A couple examples below. 

The Deathpile album is kinda rough to listen to as the music is noise but the lyrical content is just as brutal with the artist screaming the Green River killer's thoughts into the microphone. I've listened to it many times but sometimes it's tough to get through when you realize these are the thoughts of a real person. 

DEATHPILE - G.R.

ALBERICH - NATO Uniformen

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

@JokerExcellent thread.

@nicklesndimesThanks for bumping this back up.

EPMTYSET - Collapse
Too conventional. I can see people* "dancing" to it.

ROLY PORTER - 4101
Sounds like movie score. I like it.

PAUL JEBANASAM - Continuum
Even better. So far by 9:09 it was like the recordings I would make at production and processing plants that I used to work.

*see Letterkenny

• Like 1

@Joker

DEATHPILE - G.R.
Yes, as you describe, very productive background audio for working on models. I can even 'tune out' the lyrics as lyrics so it's just another audible element. I can't imagine people dancing to this. I like it.

ALBERICH - NATO Uniformen
Long enough to include many elements of noise. This is conducive with Bong-Ripping bench time over a box of plastic. I like most of this style. The parts that could be edited out are the conventional 'beat' parts that I can imagine those *moth heads, from Letterkenny dancing.

I've recorded hours of CB radio from local transceivers when living in SF.  They're on cassette tape. I need to dig some of those out and see if I can digitize them.

• Like 1

I bought this album the year after its release and it's become one of those albums that I put on from time to time that bring up lots of great memories. I remember that day - sitting in my room listening to this album over and over on a cold rainy day, drawing, feeling encased in my own world as if there was nothing else outside those windows. It was perfect. 

• Like 3

I don't remember when I first heard this album, must have been 1985-6, sometime around there, but it was recommended to me by a salesperson at my local record shop. He handed me Hunting Lodge - Will and NON - Physical Evidence and said something to the effect of "These will keep you awake at night". Power electronic music is definitely a "taste" but I do enjoy it from time to time. Great background music when you just need something to break the silence. 

• Like 1

I first saw Crash Worship in San Diego at this tiny, low-ceiling venue, and it was amazing. More fire and nudity than should be allowed. After only listening to their recordings for a few years, finally seeing and hearing them live cemented their sound into my collection. Such a great live band.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Joker said:

@Ko SprueOne- I really enjoyed It's Not Over Yet but it was definitely too short. Would be interesting to make the track longer and evolve from the opening loop. I also liked Grown but as with It's Not Over Yet... I'm left wanting more. Are these yours or something you found? 

I agree. I intentionally posted some of the shorter tracks to encourage visitors to this thread to actually check it out. No, not my material. A friend introduced me to her material.

There are several longer tracks at LOOP GOAT https://loopgoat.com/

I think this style is considered, Circuit Bending?

• Like 1

One of the great classics. Easily my favorite song from Throbbing Gristle. 

Speaking of classics...

Skinny Puppy and à;Grumh were some of my early introductions into industrial music, along with bands like Cabaret Voltaire, Ministry, and Front242. So when Skinny Puppy and à;Grumh collaborated... I was all in. I must've listened to this a hundred times when this was released. The late 80s were a really good for industrial music. 

• Props 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/20/2020 at 1:00 PM, Dirty_habiT said:

I dunno if it's fitting but it's electronic music and a new video from Mike Diva.

Definitely not the same genre of electronic music we're talking about in here. To me, that is Dance electronica. This thread is more about Noise, Experimental, and Minimal electronica.