Instagram is threatened by 12ozProphet?

misteraven

So you guys have seen me talking a whole lot of shit about social media. (if not, then fo read this thread). Anyhow, with all the media hype talking about shadow banning and the surrounding controversy about whether its a right-wing conspiracy or fact, I thought I'd share some personal detail in regards to how it is currently affecting the 12ozProphet feed...

About 2 or 3 months ago, I submitted my third verification request to Instagram. I'm obviously looking to ween off off there as soon as I'm able, but likewise, I acknowledge that its an almost necessary evil and have seen how it can be an effective tool to quickly push out messages for some people / companies. As a business feed, you need to send some sort of business document. So far I've sent them the business filing from my state, a service bill for hosting and articles of corporation filed with the IRS. Each time, they've sat on the request for 30+ days and then have denied my request without explanation. The last time, they said I also had to wait 60 days before resubmitting, again without any explanation as to why I was being denied verification or why I had to wait.

It's been obvious to me for the last couple years that engagement on Instagram is dwindling. That far fewer people bother to double tap, even less bother to drop comments and that probably 80%+ of followers are genuinely trying to follow and not a bot or an individual running a bot, thinking that I'll follow back and help them boost their own follower account. During those sweeps Instagram does about twice a year, I've seen our stats go from almost 60k followers, down to hardly above 50k. In fact the only real growth I've seen in the last 3 years or so, has occurred in these last two weeks or so as word has gotten out about the forum. We've probably picked up about 300 new followers and seems that it's not bot activity as the numbers are holding. I'm getting above average number of comments and probably more people reposting and calling out 12ozProphet than at any other time in my experience with Instagram. I'm getting dozens and dozens of DM's as well as doing a ton of outreach when I see people comment or call out 12ozprophet. As you also know, I've been pushing out a lot of subversive messaging about bringing the conversations back to 12oz and beating the drum about restoring accounts.

Now, despite a steady decline these last few years, there's been a significant drop off since my last verification request was denied. When I look at the analytics they supply, I can see that typically at best, under 10% of our followers are seeing our posts. Less than 1% in most cases are seeing our posts based upon hashtags, despite the hashtags being vetted out to be high performing hashtags and all are arguably accurate to the content. I read somewhere that Instagram does not like images with text in them, so I've stopped doing that. I also read that they don't like integrations, so I disconnected almost every third party integration I've had hooked up. I've honestly never run any shady software to boost our numbers. I've never had a post taken down for a violation of the rules. Yet, the return on posts is approaching mass email spam type numbers... Literally a fraction of 1% engagement.

My only theory is that Instagram is further along in their death spiral than I could have ever imagined, or they've shadow banned my account and / or suppressing my posts. I've been able to verify some of this by posting nearly the same content on the 12ozCollective feed, which has under 1k followers. Same images usually, same exact hashtags, posted at about the same time. In terms of percentage, that other account wildly out performs 12ozProphet for all metrics, but especially for views deriving from hashtags. In fact, it almost garners as many total likes as 12ozProphet, which as stated previously, has almost 54k followers. Each post leads to average of far more new follows, presumably because 30% plus of the views are coming from hashtags. 12ozProphet rarely goes much higher than single digits for that stat, which means its not being seen in the explore section or as a recommended account. Meanwhile 12ozCollective will awesome see several hundred views stemming from hashtags.

So the only logical conclusion is that Instagram is actually suppressing 12ozProphet, which begs the question of why? Are they actually threatened by what we're doing?

Anyhow, I wanted to share this with you guys so you recognize the significance of all this. How a corporate middle man can manipulate the perception of things and how we've reached a point in life where stuff like this literally makes or breaks people and companies since social media has become such a prolific part of personal and business life. 

I know I've said a thousand times already, but.... Please spread the word. People really need to recognize the slippery slope this precedent represents, not to mention how these very same companies are literally amassing unfathomable fortunes by selling out your privacy and selling off your profile data.

Please read these threads if you haven't already and please, please, please help me get word out.

Was just talking to @Tesseractthis morning about how surreal it is for us to have met from across the world and how surreal it is that all these years later we're still in touch and now talking about our kids. None of us could have imagined this sort of thing back when the forum started, but that's the magic of what we created here. It's obvious with the benefit of hindsight that with the structure of this forum, that meaningful conversations happen, which in turn lead to meaningful online relationships. It's equally obvious to me that this could never really happen on Instagram as the structure of it is shallow and the interactions on there are fleeting and superficial. I sincerely hope that more people begin to wake up to that fact and I've made it a mission to use 12ozProphet to counter that to the best of my ability. 

Help me do this.

Time To Rally Up…
https://forum.12ozprophet.com/topic/87403-time-to-rally-up-if-youre-genuinely-a-fan-supporter-of-12oz-please-read-this/

Officially Official - The 12ozProphet Reunion Tee and the return of the 12oz Forum.
https://forum.12ozprophet.com/topic/87529-officially-official-the-12ozprophet-reunion-tee-and-the-return-of-the-12oz-forum

Has the social media revolution devolved conversation?
https://forum.12ozprophet.com/topic/86519-weigh-in-has-the-social-media-revolution-devolved-conversation

instagram.thumb.jpg.5296c9fe6629ed802972de093430a7e8.jpg

• Truth 1
  • Props 2

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I've noticed on IG, it seems like I see posts from the same accounts over-and-over again. This is anecdotal, but it seems I only ever see posts from a small segment of people that I follow unless I specifically view someone's profile/feed.

As far as the verification that you've been denied - what does that verification do/provide?

• Like 1

So I know a few legitimate, contracted models (not like alt model / IG models, ones with actual agents and booking), and they have been talking about the IG shadow ban shit for awhile and ive been following it. Its all designed to force you into paying for premium placement adds - if you get too many free views then you have to pay. Its not a conspiracy to silence - its an algorithmic adjustment of your feed placement to squeeze you to pay up . 

Edited by TreSixO
  • Like 2
  • Truth 2

Those social media algorithms can suck my diddly dick. 

Instagram is the last of the mohicans in terms of my social media participation, but even thats pushing my buttons a lot.. 

I follow a lot of skateboard oriented accounts and when a clip will get posted by the skaters sponsors, the same clip will show up back to back from his 5 different sponsors.. 

Their algorithm for watching 1 video and then getting spammed by every other similar video is annoying as fuck too. I watch one stupid video of some asshat catching a shitty tag that took a full :59 seconds to barely finish or some chick dancing to shitty music and i get bombarded for days with videos i barely cared about in the first place.

I’ve been unfollowing a lot of accounts and people i know lately. I just don't give a fuck anymore. My streaming services all got the chop too. Netflix, Hulu, HBOGo, Amazon, all gone. It felt weird to get rid of streaming and social media shit, and it annoyed me that it felt weird. Like i was going Unabomber style or some shit but i had to remind myself, “oh.. this is just what real life used to be.”  

I’m also getting those spam DMs every couple days saying “take off my pants!!” 

I understand the importance of stuff like IG from a business stand point. From a pure user stance it’s getting old. I feel like a shit moth to a shit light and i got shit hosed. 

Edited by abrasivesaint
  • Like 1
  • Props 2

Damn i havent gone 3 years. Been a few months though. I don't have the internet in my current apartment but the missus’ kid is going to start staying with us here soon so wifi will be coming. 

Edited by abrasivesaint
No internet but my phone and unlimited data is always right there.

Anyone with an IG account can click on the "notify me when this user posts" or whatever the fuck that profile link is called now, then click likes immediately as soon as 12oz posts they start allowing the content show to more of 12oz's followers.

Just an update that todays post is performing just as bad despite Instagram metrics claiming Thursday as the best day to post. I tried to cheat the algorithm by posting 6 images of old graffiti out of the archive, followed by a couple of the new reunion shirt. I did allude to our posts being suppressed in the caption and encouraged people to comment and share. I added targeted hashtags and stripped a couple usual ones out. Stats are still in the toilet. Engagement is roughly 0.22% (not even a quarter of 1%).

Just sayin'...

7 minutes ago, El Mamerro said:

What TreSixO said. You hit the anti-Goldilocks zone with your follower count and now it's throttled until you start paying up. Starting to hit this with my company at 17k followers, and now having to do more paid posts to get reach.

Mind explaining a little more?

I've spent a little on paid posts before. By default, I think paid posts are lame as fuck, but I tried to be a good sport and maybe dropped $500 across a handful of posts. Not much, but same time, there was no incentive to continue paying up when the results were worse than the organic metrics, which are dismal. Honestly, the stats I'm seeing almost don't justify the effort of taking photos and typing a caption to post to Instagram, so can't imagine doing that and paying for that privilege. Interested in hearing more so I can attempt to understands why anyone would bother paying. Also keeping in mind that the conversion to sales is a fraction of the engagement so if you consider a successful post to be 10% engagement (about the best I've been able to find evidence for on any feed), than you need to have followers of 1mm+ if you go off the simple formula of 10% engagement and 10% of that being a successful conversion. Those are actually exaggerated numbers based off all I've seen and know, but this are the type of metrics that would be needed for it to be successful.

I can't explain much else cause I'm frankly not super involved with the technical aspects of social... but it does seem that hitting mid-double digit followers causes the algorithm to start dropping you pretty badly. Not sure why, but I'm guessing it's to reduce bigger accounts dominating regular users' feeds and instead surfacing more regular-people stuff. Paid is working OKish but we don't put out organic-looking posts on paid, they're straight up ads. IG Stories working gangbusters though.

• Like 1

I think it's another angle to capitalize on what they feel is a tremendous investment in time and effort, for accounts with large numbers of followers. Throttling is a good way to convert some of that effort on your part into money, paid by creators with large followings into facebook inc. 

Strange as soon as you post on the 12oz account or your personal account It shoots straight to the top of my feed 

I think it has something to do with personal user engagement as well. Basically profiles you frequent and interact with. 

I’ll get dumb fuckin ads of peoples personal Instagram feed with some shitty selfies. Just normal people that aren’t pitching any products and not even mediocre photography just straight up selfies 

43 minutes ago, mn1_fuckos said:

I’ll get dumb fuckin ads of peoples personal Instagram feed with some shitty selfies. Just normal people that aren’t pitching any products and not even mediocre photography just straight up selfies 

Can I get your instagram?   I have selfies that I want to try to sell you.

• LOL! 1

Definitely IG engagement is in decline, but that may be partially its own doing, as IG has voiced its intent to not show "like" counts.  I think there was a bubble, and that bubble burst, but is IG dead, maybe not.... As the pull back has caused a small transformation with a focus on "micro-influencers"-- accts with less than 10,000 but have higher engagement numbers and more authentic interactions and followers.  Though my nude photography acct only has about 8000 followers, I've been in contact with more and more models lately.  My landscape acct loses followers daily, but they overall engagement on my posts have increased.  Go figure....

My read on all of this is that it's not about big engagement numbers anymore, but folks are more authentically engaging with accts/social medias that are more meaningful to them..... 

• Like 1

You’re so on point with the -we don’t have legit conversations (even via internet) with people instead it’s just superficial posts- And instagram must know that people actually need interactions and I think that’s why they introduced the polls  and questions n shit.  Def reaching anymore  it seems   LIVE and IGTV type shit now. 

• Truth 1