Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Fat Ralphy's Health and Fitness Motivation Thread

fat ralphy

8 hours ago, nicklesndimes said:

been doing extensive stretches/workouts every day when i wake up mon-fri for the last couple of weeks...and happy to report that I've been following it with a little jog.

the only issue is that i have been sleeping until 11am at least. starting tmrw, going to rise a bit earlier.

damn dawg what time you going to bed?

• Like 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I’ve been maintaining while running through absolute chaos in life. Picked up a desk shift at a rich people gym so I can have a free membership and got offered to manage. Legitimately considering quitting my career to go full gym bro and take it. Pay is obviously less, but my life can consist of working out and eating. That seems like a dream come true. 

Been making some drastic decisions lately so think I just may.

• Props 2

Adding some weight training back into my life.  Plateau'd pretty hard right around 175#.  So hopefully mixing up the workout routine a bit with some kettlebell will shock me a bit and help lean me out a little more.  Fun (read frustrating) thing about cycling is your body adapts and becomes efficient quickly. 

• Like 2

I joined a masters swim team, we swim three times a week, open water in the summer, pool in the winter.

The last time I swam on a team was about ten years ago, it is hard to keep up but I am glad to be in a group. For the moment I have dropped other fitness but am thinking at the very least I need to do some daily walking to offset all the time I spend sitting on my ass at work. It is hard to overcome so much sedentary time when for decades I have been doing physical work at work.

• Props 2

happy to say i got my stretches/workout in this morning and am now out in the bike for a considerable jaunt...need to make it earlier rising tmrw and use these remaining summer days to my benefit and get in shape before the nasty northern weather prohibits us (a ways...)down the line

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After seeing @KILZ FILLZpost I changed up my routine and used an app for the first time.

Realized I have 24GO and that shit has hella workouts.

Lats sore as fuck. Shoulder is injured so I have adjusted with lighter weights and different lifts, takes forever to heal these fucking days. 

On my 392 consecutive fast - only making BJJ like 1-2 times a week which is fucked but I am lifting 5 times a week. Need some more cardio…

Lately all the bullshit in my life has got to my more than usual and so I need to double down. 

Edited by fat ralphy
  • Like 1

Yo @Dark_Knight how much protein should I intake for weight training?  I am on a balanced meal plan e.g. eggs, oatmeal, lean meats, veggies, and breads.  But I am taking 1 scoop a day of this with my MRE shake.  24g of protein + what I get from my balanced diet gonna be enough to build muscle?

16319000227747974710858846569217.jpg

• Like 1

^^  I just rotated the MRE and noticed there's 47g of protein in 4 scoops.  I think I may have answered own question considering too much protein can be harmful, but how much is harmful if more muscle needs more protein to maintain the new gains, right?

A gram per pound of muscle is the standard. Have you checked your BMI? I weigh about 190 right now, and take in 190 grams of protein if I can. Has been admittedly hard Bc of how busy life has been recently. But yeah, in ideal training mode, that’s the standard. Watch what protein you supplement with. And those mre

meal replacements. A lot of cholesterol in lower quality mixes. Pay for the iso proteins. They’re worth it.

• Like 2

Man - I need to clean my diet up. 

Good on you @ndvfor eating clean - thinking @Dark_Knight is same.

Most of the weight I have gained in last 6 months is muscle but I need to lose more fat. Sucks because my coping mechanism post drinking has been eating - life has been stressful as fuck last couple years and so fasting has been my way of helping my body. 

Banged out 45 mins on stair climber this AM and will again tomorrow. There is a young skinny chick at gym that always engages with me when I am there but she works there and I can’t tell if she is just being nice. Has to be like 25 yro - so damn near 15 years younger. 

Hurt my shoulder in BJJ and so I have not been able to bench or lift really heavy last 3 weeks. Lingering injuries make me fee my age. Still lifting 4-5 time a week at work.

• Like 1
  • Props 1

8 hours ago, fat ralphy said:

Most of the weight I have gained in last 6 months is muscle

This is basically what I am trying to achieve.  Good for you.  

My proble is, is that I can eat amd eat but never gain anything.  A fast metabolism is a catch 22.

As for the the girl at the gym. Just ask her out just to see what really going on there.  Only one way to find out. 

Anyhow, keep up the progress and try to stay away from the stress. 

• Like 1

Open water workouts are over on my masters team, moving to a pool next week. I am a little bummed, swimming in salt water three days a week has been really positive but they are a great group and I am sure that swimming in the pool will have some benefits. 

• Like 2

You can also try pea protein or cricket protein. I know a lot of people who have transitioned to one or the other. They’re a little pricier Bc they’re not mass produced yet, but heard good things. Pea protein didn’t sit good with my gut when I tried it. Hella gas.