Fat Ralphy's Health and Fitness Motivation Thread

fat ralphy

• 2 weeks later...
This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I have developed some shoulder problem, swimming half the workout seems to be about right. Part of the challenge is that nothing hurts while actually swimming only later, some sort of impinged nerve thing I think.

I wish I had some doctor or clinician I trusted to provide some guidance. 

That said I asked a mate and she provided what is probably good advice that I have not taken in terms of stengthening up the area surrounding the injury. Typing this out has made clear that I need to try that, or something beyond just reducing the number of rotations my arm goes thooug. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@morton yo thats rad bro!!! good for you - I seem to remember when you just started the routine swimming and it seems like you continue to push yourself.

That said/related note - I swam laps today for the first time ever. With goggles and regular trunks I think I swam for like 25mins, probably did like 15 laps.

I think I could get into it - definitely low impact and for sure good cardio. 

My girl pays my gym membership at a premium nice place so switching might be my new cardio routine. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, fat ralphy said:

I feel like swimming is a pretty good form of cardio - in my 40s so low impact is crucial and it is definitely full body.

Swimming is great for you. I don’t swim much at all though. I did go out and do some breast stroke and tread water for awhile a couple of weeks ago and it felt like a solid workout. I would like to practice treading water more.

@LUGR dude while I was in the water I was thinking about how the real beast mode is to be able to tread water for hours.

One of my friends good buddies is a Seal and I figure those motherfuckers must just do insane open ocean drills. 

@mortondude I feel like I suck pretty bad at freestyle- I have tried breathing on alternating sides w/ 3 strokes and same side with 2 strokes and it seems like 2 is easier but feels hella toy.

Any pointers on getting a good flow going and learning better technique?

I would not worry about alternating sides for breathing, this may not be the most popular opinion but I would not really about form or technique much either until you get your yardage up a little.

I am no guru and I am a little unclear of where you are at, and what your goals are so it is hard to offer much advice.

That said:

Learn all four strokes.

Get instruction, there is no substitute. Funny thing about swimming is that it can feel like you are doing one thing when you are really doing another, having someone watch you swim and offer guidance is really helpful.

Swim with a group if you can, there may be a masters team with a beginners lane or there may be a community pool with a coached/instructed group swim. 

Learn to use the basic training aids: kickboard, fins, paddles and pull buoy. Do not overuse any of them, especially buoy and paddles which lots of men get hooked on and can fuck your shoulder with misuse of overuse.

Using a pull buoy and paddles you do not need to kick to keep your ass up which will let you focus on your pull. 

For fins, get the shorter ones, I like the pair of arena that I have, lots of folks like zoomers. Fins can help you get strong and also make the stoke easy enough to focus on doing correctly. 

Big fins can be fun for power and strength building, I would not buy a pair but if the pool has them for use swim some underwaters, underwater butterfly kick, or all out freestyle or butterfly at the end of your set, will help you sleep well.

Kickboard, you will probably not be tempted to overuse. It is hard. Work in intervals, like slow first half fast second or by time or whatever.

That's about all I got, learn all four strokes, get help, swim with a group.

I would also say to be consistent and patient, beyond some easy newbie gains it is going to take some time for the benefits to kick in.

• Props 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here I am crossing the finish at a 5K this summer.

1211846502_InkedWhatsAppImage2023-08-20at3_00_12PM.thumb.jpg.b42448828706fc8d17c1e4088ad62867.jpg

I think I swam my last open water workout for the year last night.

I am a little bummed to be going back in the pool but it has it's plus sides also, very measured affair with pace clocks, lane lines and walls to push off.

@fat ralphykeep going to the pool and try some other strokes!

For breast try learning pull outs.

• Props 4

@morton I have continued to swim. Currently like 1-2x week which is the same as the number of times I go to BJJ and number of times I lift.

My freestyle stroke has improved a bunch. I basically told myself that nothing gets better if you dont work on it. So I pepper in the freestyle laps with my breaststroke- that said it is clear how much more of a cardio workout freestyle is.

Dude way to go with the event, you are a beast and in great shape. /prohomo haha

Any input on the water logged ears/nose head feeling after swimming? Most recently I upper my time to 45 mins in the pool. 

The only time I had problems with water in the ear excessive wax was the problem. OTC softeners with a ear cleaning syringe will solve it if that is the issue.

Some (few) folks wear nose clips, I have never tried as water in the nose is not a problem for me except when doing send offs underwater backstroke so I just deal. 

2 hours ago, morton said:

The only time I had problems with water in the ear excessive wax was the problem. OTC softeners with a ear cleaning syringe will solve it if that is the issue.

Some (few) folks wear nose clips, I have never tried as water in the nose is not a problem for me except when doing send offs underwater backstroke so I just deal. 

I have the ear wax problem occasionally and use the cleaning drips with the bulb sprayer. The key is to use the bulb to blast the warm water in your ear. The directions were not very clear, so I was just gently spraying in my ear and it wasn’t doing shit. Once I started blasting it in, a bunch of nasty shit came out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Alright fellas lets here those resolutions. 

I am in good stead but have had a less active winter so far due to work and travel. 

It is not really much of a resolution but I am going to focus on getting back into 100% workout attendance with my team. I have been near 100% for the past three years but the past couple of months have been a little touch and go. Mainly letting work get in the way, which is bullshit.

@SMdoubleXL

Maybe you should consider a easy fitness routine? You were talking in another thread about some struggles with injury and adversity. It can be a heavy thing to do but even the smallest of routines have the potential to help in terms of well being. I personally think that regardless of the exercise that doing that kind of work for yourself is the most important part, like knowing that you care enough about to do it is in and of itself a  really big deal.

@angelofdeath

where you at dog, I feel like you should check in and share your gains.

• Like 1