AKA... Members @‘s on Social Media

DETO

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
6 minutes ago, DETO said:

But this is a way to reach out to those that use it. That’s what I’ve been doing. Ive invited about 10 people back and only because of social media. 

Yeah, no doubt. I've obviously been doing the same. I've really started ramping up efforts because after Instagram rejected yet another verification request for @12ozprophet, it seems they also shadow banned the account. That last post we did about the reunion tee is performing 80% better than our other recent posts, but despite having 54,000 followers, it has 271 "likes" after 24 hours. Our engagement levels were in steady decline for the last year and a half, as has pretty much everyones, but after that request, they plummeted. Worse, however is that a lot of people we used to stay in touch with, have been dropping off. I believe that platform is dying and if you read that weigh in: social media thread, we discuss why that is.

Plus at the best of times, Instagram wasn't half as fun as 12oz used to be, so we're trying to do something about it and bring the conversation back. Obviously yesterday is a milestone moment in that effort, but can only really happen if all of us work together and tip it over.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, CILONE/SK said:

Social media isn’t all that bad.  I have been able to stay I daily contact with a bunch of oontzers when this place died out.    

Some of these guys, if you include here, I have been frequently talking to for over ten + years.  

Was good like that for a long time. But then I was talking to @diggitynot long ago that because you see glimpses of what people are up to regularly, you stop actually interacting with them in any meaningful way. Go read that social thread... We discuss it in detail there, but reality is social has fucked up far more than its helped. It was sorta fun for a minute, but far from what the old forums used to be like or even the old chat rooms from back in the day. Plus lots of articles out there that explain how Google and Facebook and companies with business models based upon giving away *free* services on the internet are making about $300 a year per user profile by tracking every single thing you do and selling detailed user profiles to third parties... Fuck that.

Facebook got slammed with a $5 billion dollar lawsuit the other day and their stock actually went up. In fact, the increase offset that $5billion and added almost as much in the slight rise. Considering that, what's the actual consequences of violating people's privacy? Liekwise, look at the incentive for them to take it another step forward, when douche bag Zuckerberg is worth $74 billion dollars personally despite privacy violation after privacy violation.

Link: https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/12/20692524/facebook-five-billion-ftc-fine-embarrassing-joke

1857034398_ScreenShot2019-07-19at10_15_48AM.png.2bc7418c71ef3b07813c69adc49811cd.png

• Props 1

Im a big fan of just using social media as a one way content generation tool... scraping cringe posts and rage melts is fun for me, just cant get caught in the back and forth. unliek here, where I would want more back and forth because people are like minded or at least have similar experience  

• Like 1
  • Truth 1

14 minutes ago, misteraven said:

Was good like that for a long time. But then I was talking to @diggitynot long ago that because you see glimpses of what people are up to regularly, you stop actually interacting with them in any meaningful way. Go read that social thread... We discuss it in detail there, but reality is social has fucked up far more than its helped. It was sorta fun for a minute, but far from what the old forums used to be like or even the old chat rooms from back in the day. Plus lots of articles out there that explain how Google and Facebook and companies with business models based upon giving away *free* services on the internet are making about $300 a year per user profile by tracking every single thing you do and selling detailed user profiles to third parties... Fuck that.

Facebook got slammed with a $5 billion dollar lawsuit the other day and their stock actually went up. In fact, the increase offset that $5billion and added almost as much in the slight rise. Considering that, what's the actual consequences of violating people's privacy? Liekwise, look at the incentive for them to take it another step forward, when douche bag Zuckerberg is worth $74 billion dollars personally despite privacy violation after privacy violation.

Link: https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/12/20692524/facebook-five-billion-ftc-fine-embarrassing-joke

1857034398_ScreenShot2019-07-19at10_15_48AM.png.2bc7418c71ef3b07813c69adc49811cd.png

a lot of what goes on with facebooks sec filings is very sketch 

Cool that you're inviting ppl back @DETO . I like the messenger feature, Ill give it that. Not for nothing and def not personal to anyone here but why the fuck do I want to see where you play Pokemon at or what your niece's first communion looked like...

Im done with all that shit. Really glad 12 is on a a new wave. FB etc wont be missed.

• Like 2
  • Truth 1